Options

Pearl Jam buys home for mom of fallen bandmate

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
edited April 2015 in The Porch
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/local-news/pearl-jam-buys-home-for-mom-of-fallen-bandmate_16426113?utm_campaign=snsdemo&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=snsanalytics

Pearl Jam buys home for mom of fallen bandmate
by Tristan Baurick

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND — Toni Wood’s face beamed as she gave a tour of the new mobile home that replaces the old, dilapidated one she lived in for years.

She showed off the bathroom (“Go inside, you have to look at the tub!”), the bright, airy living room (“I love it!”), even the ceiling (“No leaks!”) and flipped a few light switches to prove the new wiring’s prowess (“The electrician at the old place had asked me, ‘Toni, do you have fire insurance?’”)

Her favorite part?

“The part of the house I like best is the love that got it for me,” she said.

Wood’s home was purchased by Pearl Jam and their fans.

Two members of the Seattle rock band were in the group Mother Love Bone with Wood’s son, Andy Wood, a cherubic singer who pranced the stage in spandex, white face paint and glitter, and seemed destined for stardom.

Andy, who grew up on Bainbridge, died after a heroin overdose in 1990, just before Mother Love Bone’s debut album was released and the world’s musical tastes veered heavily toward all things Seattle.

In the musical movement that would later be known as grunge, Andy Wood is considered a tragic icon who flamed out just before the explosion.

His bandmates, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, found a replacement singer in Eddie Vedder and renamed the band. Pearl Jam formed just in time to join fellow Northwest rockers Nirvana and Soundgarden in taking over the world’s airwaves.

Gossard, one of Pearl Jam’s two guitarists, remained in contact with Toni and her two other sons. He was quick to call when he heard that Toni, who is in her 70s and works as a part-time caregiver, was living in a mobile home with tarps on the roof.

“He said, ‘Why don’t we see about getting you a new house,’” she said. “Him saying that — it was magic to me. It took my breath away.”

Gossard launched an online fundraising site in September and promoted it on Pearl Jam’s website and social media sites. He also auctioned off a few signed guitars and band memorabilia.

On the band’s website, Gossard described Toni as “a magical woman” whose “spirit is close to Andy’s, to whom she gave so much love, humor and spark.”

“Toni is now in her 70s and living in a leaky, dilapidated trailer with bad wiring, while still being a part-time caregiver,” Gossard wrote. “The more (Ament) and I learned about her situation, the more we felt we couldn’t ignore it. We decided to go for it and get her a new trailer.”

It didn’t take long for fans to donate more than $36,000. The members of Pearl Jam and Mother Love Bone’s former manager chipped in $40,000.

A few days ago, Wood got a nice surprise when she visited her bank.

“I always go and whisper to my teller, ‘How much do I have left?’ because my account’s always verging on setting off all kinds of bells and whistles,” Wood said. “And she came back and said ‘I don’t think you have to worry.’”

The money has paid for the full replacement of Wood’s home, and there’s a little left over for some landscaping.

“I’m going to have a little garden here,” she said, pointing to a narrow strip between her home and a neighbor’s home. “And a little front yard here. Maybe grass. And a little tree. I have to have a tree.”

A friend, Stephanie Farwell, walked by to check out the new place.

“Well look, it’s the lord of the manor! I love it!” she said.

For Farwell, Wood deserves the help — and not because she’s the mother of a rock star.

“Talk about somebody who deserves a break,” Farwell said. “This lady has been a professional caregiver for so many years. She’s the best-hearted person. As far as I’m concerned, she’s an island treasure.”

Toni’s hands fluttered over her smile and her feet shifted about on the porch.

“I’m bubbling,” she said. “I’m just bubbling from all the joy, all the love.”

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836

:)
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    I spent just under $3000 for signed poster's knowing the proceeds were to help Toni Woods,treasure the posters and reading this story makes every cent I spent even more worth it
    Great effort Stone and Pj
    If it wasn't for Andy and MLB we wouldn't have PJ as we know it ,good luck to Mrs T .Wood
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    Great collaboration between the band and fans here. Just makes what we are all doing together here so special
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Great stuff. Feel good!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    that is awesome x1000.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I hope that those that complain when they don't receive a Benny vinyl in the mystery sale see this thread. Well done, everyone!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just great.

PJ!
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    For all the endless whining and negativity by some here, this is a wonderful and powerful reminder of everything great about PJ and being a fan of the best band in the world. They're special and there's no one like them. Another piece of living proof.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    pljam said:

I spent just under $3000 for signed poster's knowing the proceeds were to help Toni Woods,treasure the posters and reading this story makes every cent I spent even more worth it
    Great effort Stone and Pj
    If it wasn't for Andy and MLB we wouldn't have PJ as we know it ,good luck to Mrs T .Wood

P.s The follow up to inform all those interested is greatly appreciated,must admit,I was having a shitty day untill I read this post and made me feel really good, a great outcome,thanks for the update
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    well at least the tears were already flowing after watch the Hillsborough documentary on Netflix, definitely happy tears, Stone and Jeff class guys and this was the right thing to do, and kudos to all the fans who got involved
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Fantastic! :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Excellent job everyone!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    first class
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This is amazing! Bravo to everyone involved!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Love it!
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    xhausted1xhausted1 Posts: 126
    I'm so happy to hear this!
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Nice to see something I can post on instead of just moving on. Very positive and amazing! You can see her utter joy!
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    Great Story! A big thumbs up to everyone who was involved.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    Proud of the band and the fans! :hug:
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Trying to bump more positive things today. Have a great day!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    pdalowsky said:

first class

www.cluthelee.com