Options

Deserve those seats? Beat the Bots

2»

Comments

• Options
    CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
    I wonder, how many people in this forum remember standing in line?

In the "old days" we had no problem lining up for the Rolling Stones, U2, Neil Young (w PJ), RHCP etc etc and I ALWAYS got great seats. Sure there was always a dirtbag scalper in line but most people were fans and the environment was cool and most walked away happy.

I distinctly remember the first TM automation when technology took the line up and exposed it to millions, since then the only "great seats" I've gotten came via lottery or at an additional cost through a fan club premium, a ticket broker or the dirtbag scalper. The luxury of technology has "lined" the pockets of others.

But yeah, for sure there are better ways, and I like the idea of using technology for ticket distribution but I have yet to see a system better than a local line up that allowed access to consistently good seats.

Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    MayDay10 said:

Paperless and non transferable is the best way to go

Beat the bots wouldn't be good for us with the typical pj schedule. A large amount of people travel to shows as compared to ff.

Agreed. I went to a show in 2010 where you had to bring your id and the credit card you purchased with. Then, when your card was scanned, it show how many tickets you bought and they let you and your group in. Seems like something like that would cut down the number of scalpers dramatically.
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    Ticketless entry seems fantastic. Proper tickets (for framing purposes) can be mailed after the tour.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    Every time I've lined up for tickets, there was a lottery to determine where the start of the line was going to be. If the person 5 people behind you won the lottery, you're at the end of the line. Standing in line all morning doesn't guarantee anything.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896

MayDay10 said:

It has nothing to do with "entitlement". It's about creating an unnecessary hassle for no good reason. As far as "earning it". That is what I do when I maintain a job to obtain funds to buy things like tickets... and updating my fan club membership on time.

I don't see how ditching hours of my life and time with kids on a Saturday morning is "earning" anything., or what benefit for anyone it accomplishes. In fact, I could see how it would result in much more scalping than the current system.
    We are an aging fan base. Most of us have grown up and have responsibilities. We aren't 20 anymore. A lot of us need to find a babysitter these days just to attend a show (unless you want to score a tambourine). So now we need to block off a quarter of a weekend to wait in line to get tickets,... if we have GA and want a good spot, wait in line all day there (I personally don't do GA), then 4+hours for the show? Personally I was fine with F5 and lottery for the 1st few rows, but the current system is fine (although it does needs a few tweaks).

Its 2015. There are more effective ways to eliminate/reduce scalpers.

still not sure why bands don't do ticketless for entire arenas. why only the "good" seats? that's pointless. especially for a band like PJ, where fans will pay an arm and a leg just to be in the building. maybe ticketbastard doesn't have that option, as they like to scalp their own fucking tickets.

assholes.

Exactly. How will Stubhub make money on the back end if all tickets are ticketless? I doubt they would ever agree to a whole arena of no extra profit. That would be the perfect solution from a fan's perspective though.

I have also spent many hours waiting in line for tickets, back in the day. Even spent the night for David Bowie- Serious Moonlight tour and got terrible seats. Online and non-transferable would be the "perfect" solution.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

MayDay10 said:

It has nothing to do with "entitlement". It's about creating an unnecessary hassle for no good reason. As far as "earning it". That is what I do when I maintain a job to obtain funds to buy things like tickets... and updating my fan club membership on time.

I don't see how ditching hours of my life and time with kids on a Saturday morning is "earning" anything., or what benefit for anyone it accomplishes. In fact, I could see how it would result in much more scalping than the current system.
    We are an aging fan base. Most of us have grown up and have responsibilities. We aren't 20 anymore. A lot of us need to find a babysitter these days just to attend a show (unless you want to score a tambourine). So now we need to block off a quarter of a weekend to wait in line to get tickets,... if we have GA and want a good spot, wait in line all day there (I personally don't do GA), then 4+hours for the show? Personally I was fine with F5 and lottery for the 1st few rows, but the current system is fine (although it does needs a few tweaks).

still not sure why bands don't do ticketless for entire arenas. why only the "good" seats? that's pointless. especially for a band like PJ, where fans will pay an arm and a leg just to be in the building. maybe ticketbastard doesn't have that option, as they like to scalp their own fucking tickets.

assholes.

Exactly. How will Stubhub make money on the back end if all tickets are ticketless? I doubt they would ever agree to a whole arena of no extra profit. That would be the perfect solution from a fan's perspective though.

I have also spent many hours waiting in line for tickets, back in the day. Even spent the night for David Bowie- Serious Moonlight tour and got terrible seats. Online and non-transferable would be the "perfect" solution.
    well, not totally perfect. it means that if something comes up, you can't sell those tickets. you eat them. which I had to do with my Black Keys ticketless ticket when Ed announced his solo tour in 2011 after I already had my BK ticket! same night, different city.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896

MayDay10 said:

assholes.

well, not totally perfect. it means that if something comes up, you can't sell those tickets. you eat them. which I had to do with my Black Keys ticketless ticket when Ed announced his solo tour in 2011 after I already had my BK ticket! same night, different city.

Agreed, but just about as perfect as you can get. Some people will have to eat their tickets and that will suck, but if you can come up with a better solution, you would probably completely change the game. I can't think of a simpler solution to at least curb much of the scalping. I just know that it will probably never happen for a full scale arena tour.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    Paperless and non transferable is the best way to go
    INDEED
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,173
    U2 will be my first ticketless ticket concert. I think they used it for all floor (and possibly all fan club purchased) ticets. From what I understand you bring your credit card/id with you, and the print you out a paper stub as you enter the venue. Thus there's no opportunity to sell your ticket. That's even more hardcore than the 10c which technically speaking people have several hours in which they could ditch their tickets.

I like the idea. I do like to collect ticket stubs, so hopefully whatever printout they give you at the venue (to prove your seat location) looks ok. I suppose it means eating the odd pair of tickets, but that's a small price to pay if it puts a huge dent in scalping.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Zod said:

U2 will be my first ticketless ticket concert. I think they used it for all floor (and possibly all fan club purchased) ticets. From what I understand you bring your credit card/id with you, and the print you out a paper stub as you enter the venue. Thus there's no opportunity to sell your ticket. That's even more hardcore than the 10c which technically speaking people have several hours in which they could ditch their tickets.

I like the idea. I do like to collect ticket stubs, so hopefully whatever printout they give you at the venue (to prove your seat location) looks ok. I suppose it means eating the odd pair of tickets, but that's a small price to pay if it puts a huge dent in scalping.

Yeah, NIN has a similar system, although there are still tickets (which is great - I keep my ticket stubs). But that you have to show ID and pick up the ticket right at the entrance to the venue, after security check, and you aren't allowed to turn around after they give it to you. So again, zero opportunity to resell. It worked really well!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    PJ_Soul said:

Zod said:

Yeah, NIN has a similar system, although there are still tickets (which is great - I keep my ticket stubs). But that you have to show ID and pick up the ticket right at the entrance to the venue, after security check, and you aren't allowed to turn around after they give it to you. So again, zero opportunity to resell. It worked really well!
    Yup. I had no problems with their system.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I did paperless RHCP once. The only issue was everyone had to go in at once. Had a group of 4 and 2 wanted to hang at the pub for a bit longer.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I know that a lot of people waited on line for foo tickets. I was unable to. Then they added a second show and I got tickets from ticketmaster for the GA field while sitting in my pjs at home. I kinda feel like I'd be pissed if I HAD waited on line.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    How about we just leave the ticket distribution up to the folks at 10C .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited March 2015
    u2 is definitely not paperless at least for the msg shows this summer. I have my fan club ordered ga tickets in hand.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    mcgruff10 said:

u2 is definitely not paperless at least for the msg shows this summer. I have my fan club ordered ga tickets in hand.

It's illegal in the State of New York to do paperless events.

all the other shows on the U2 tour have paperless for g.a and some other fan seats.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Ah I did not know that. I wonder what the rationale is behind that.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Paperless restricts trade
    Keeps out people paying cash and/or getting tickets from their friends.
    Etc etc etc
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434
    mcgruff10 said:

Ah I did not know that. I wonder what the rationale is behind that.

The scalper/stubhub lobbyists greased the right palms.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options

I still think local fans should have first crack at all shows. and do all shows ticketless. no scalping.

This doesn't work well for the people doing rural work that we all depend on such as farmers.

I think those people that live in large centers should receive the advantages that come with living in a larger center... and their advantage is having concerts in their backyard without traveling to see them and undertaking great expense to do so (not to mention giving your local economy a slight bump in the process). This is enough of an advantage though: the fans willing to travel to see them should have equal access to a good seat.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

It's illegal in the State of New York to do paperless events.

all the other shows on the U2 tour have paperless for g.a and some other fan seats.
    I have hard tickets for U2 in Vancouver.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    really really bad idea. don't try and invent the wheel. lined up for the foos with the beat the bots. yes i got tickets and almost froze my toes off. rainy cold not fun at all. please go away.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    And it should go without mentioning that the LAST thing Pearl Jam fans need is to wait in yet another freakin line for hours.
  • Options
    DalirockDalirock Posts: 69
    I think that would GREAT! old school is best any time I waited in line at venue Ive gotten good seats! Also you don't get tagged with all kind of hidden fees. It would equal playing field for shows in your hometown
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    I probably waited in line for at least 200 to 300 concerts before the Internet
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....