Options

The Fire "Challenge"

hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
Yes, the majority of us have done some idiotic things growing up, but something so potentially tragic and up-front stupid? I just don't get it - challenge, my ass. And not only that, but it's also imperative to film and share such bravado with the world.

Seriously, the fuck are these kids thinking? The fuck were they taught...or not?

http://www.independent.com/news/2015/mar/04/badly-burned-teen-took-fire-challenge/?on

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,884
    natural selection at work.

kinda plays into lack of parental supervision or perhaps too trusting ....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Yeah, I sort of regretted posting this after the fact since all it could possibly bring is outrage and a sense of...senselessness.

I can't help but wonder - what lack of...feeling? ...of some cornerstone...are they missing to go to such extremes to set yourself afire.

To IGNITE yourself.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,884
    by this point in this thread its time to blame something for this.

My vote goes to Jackass.

Such a now now now me me me culture at large that the sheer boredom and restlessness make ideas like this seem like a good idea. Add in the ready availability to post on youtube NOW and to make the viral video and become some kind of star.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    I saw this on the news yesterday.

I used to say the only thing good about getting old, was that you gain wisdom.
    Now there is one more thing good about getting old, at least in my eyes.

I wont be around when these blithering idiot kids are running this country.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    mickeyrat said:

natural selection at work.

kinda plays into lack of parental supervision or perhaps too trusting ....

Exactly.

A friend of mine and I did some crazy things when we were kids but we always took precautions. We learned that you could make it look like your hands were on fire by putting a little sterno on them and lighting them and then sticking then in sand. But we tested the idea out first with the tiniest dab. No pain, no harm. Never once even the slightest burn because we knew what we were doing. We did some other things I won't mention but we were curious but always very careful and no one was ever harmed.

But some kids don't think about what they are doing or are not always so careful. I subbed an art class one time and while helping some kids gather supplies in the back room, one of the students in the classroom had painted his hand with rubber cement and another kid lit it with a lighter. That kids hand was badly burned and severely disfigured. I was called in to see the kid's lawyer but was cleared of responsibility. That was nerve wracking and I felt badly for the stupid kid who was burned.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Isn't that the age where kids think of themselves as invincible?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

I believe so. And why is it always boys that most often do these stupid things?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

It's evolution baby! Risk-taking behavior is linked to sexual selection. You can't bring down a bison without big balls, so big balled boys passed their genes down more reliably.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

It's evolution baby! Risk-taking behavior is linked to sexual selection. You can't bring down a bison without big balls, so big balled boys passed their genes down more reliably.
    Haha,says the soon to be dad of a new set of balls.(hopefully big ones)
  • Options
    Hedo,It was Santa Barbra kids.Were they board,ignored rich bratty kids?
  • Options

I saw this on the news yesterday.

I used to say the only thing good about getting old, was that you gain wisdom.
    Now there is one more thing good about getting old, at least in my eyes.

I wont be around when these blithering idiot kids are running this country.

Speedy, my husband said something similar, but more along the lines of these ARE the people that'll be "us" when we get old. God (or whatever) help us if longevity is in our genes.

rr, I'm not sure about the kids. But jesus, to do THAT. For a need for attention to trump common sense? - wow. Maybe it'll be a wake-up call for their parents.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Yeah, what's up with that? Damn you, testosterone!

And, I get pushing it, testing boundaries, being generally stupid (plus fascination with fire). But man...to go this far. Maybe, due to the recording and sharing of this shit, narcissism has firmly shaken hands with lack of forethought.
  • Options
    Perhaps if the parents of these kids took a firm grasp at the early age on the reality of raising a human this would not have happened.

or

Perhaps if these children were diligently practicing for hours in school how to write in cursive, participate in Home EC and specifically their multiplication tables to twelve this may have not happened either.

Lighting yourself on fire to trend is the result of idle hands.

• Options
    *idle minds.

You're alright, PJfan.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    That's almost as stupid as the whole YOLO thing.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809

Perhaps if the parents of these kids took a firm grasp at the early age on the reality of raising a human this would not have happened.

or

Perhaps if these children were diligently practicing for hours in school how to write in cursive, participate in Home EC and specifically their multiplication tables to twelve this may have not happened either.

Lighting yourself on fire to trend is the result of idle hands.

I truly believe the fall of America is going to be due to our own stupidity, and lack of education. I also believe it is going to fall apart much sooner than people believe. Not only has everybody else caught up to us, but they have passed us up, as far as education. American schools are a disaster. Also agree with you about family values. We now have blithering idiots, raising blithering idiots.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I wonder if, how hate is typically learned...does the same apply to common sense? Or is that considered innate, like the instinct of survival, self-preservation?

Mostly what I think when I read these stories is "fuckin idiots!"
  • Options
    I'm sure some smart kids choose to ignore their inner voice and fall in behind more vocal dimwits in a peer pressure scenario.I can see some good kids who know better just trying to be cool or not wanting to be called chicken (if that's what they still call it).sad but true