Options

how much should a person know about a band before wearing their shirt?

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jamburger said:

^^ That's the guy that would quiz you for a free dinner. He knows his soup better than you do.

:D
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    are we only concerned about t-shirts because I don't know much about fruit of the loom
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    I wear Nirvana shirts all the time and I know pretty much every single song of theirs. But I've seen other people my age (24) wearing them and I'll try to start a conversation about it and they have no idea what I'm talking about half the time. I almost hate wearing them sometimes because people probably just assume a young female wearing a Nirvana shirt is a hipster and not an actual fan. :(
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited October 2014
    I used to own a pair of K2 skis, but I've never summited or even climbed K2. I'm not a mountain climber... Guess I shouldn't wear anything North Face or Patagonia. Never been there. Plus I don't even know who the fuck Eddie Bauer is?? Is Hanes a first name or family name. Who are the Hanes family? Why did they put that hole in the crotch where your pecker falls out too often?? Guess I might just have to join some nudist colony...

Why do people wear Harley Davidson shirts if they don't own one?? And how many bitches fall off cause there's lots of those shirts too? Should I avoid putting my kids in Steelers clothes cause they don't know the players on their favorite football team? Better keep them listening to PJ so they can at least wear those shirts, huh??
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    It's so strange but I suppose not so surprising - the level of concern not only about what t-shirt others are wearing and the required justifying hoops to jump through, but also what category others might lump you in based on whateverthefuck shirt you chose to don.

By the same logic, is it OK or not for people to clothe their baby in one of those PJ onesies?

Clarification needed, STAT!

(glad I read PP's post before I submitted; thanks for the :) )
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Agg said:

I wear Nirvana shirts all the time and I know pretty much every single song of theirs. But I've seen other people my age (24) wearing them and I'll try to start a conversation about it and they have no idea what I'm talking about half the time. I almost hate wearing them sometimes because people probably just assume a young female wearing a Nirvana shirt is a hipster and not an actual fan. :(

exact opposite of why I rock my CREED t-shirt....
    I don't know any of their songs....
    I just wear it for the hip factor.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    What the fuck kind of question is this? Lol who cares, wear whatever u want. Shit, if 81 is allowed to wear those man skeletoez whatever the fuck they're called slippers, u can wear whatever u want. =))
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    badbrains said:

What the fuck kind of question is this? Lol who cares, wear whatever u want. Shit, if 81 is allowed to wear those man skeletoez whatever the fuck they're called slippers, u can wear whatever u want. =))

We need pj skeletoez

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    If I see one more person wear a Riot Act shirt and know what track 7 is on the CD I am going to explode!

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    It's ironic for someone to wear a Tool shirt and not know who the group is or anything about the music. Or maybe they are just making fun of themselves...or whomever reads it...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    PP193448 said:

It's ironic for someone to wear a Tool shirt and not know who the group is or anything about the music. Or maybe they are just making fun of themselves...or whomever reads it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IzYUJANfk
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

PP193448 said:

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY POOL!" Love those guys! =))
  • Options
    badbrains said:

PP193448 said:

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY POOL!" Love those guys! =))
    lol I know, in Seattle there are so many people like those kids, always makes me laugh
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    to be honest I only wear my band shirts to bed as pj's never in public so anyone who questions me would have to be sleeping in my bed more or less and in that case they would already know me and also what I like otherwise I would win with the questions if he were male lol
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited October 2014

The Misfits Crimson ghost logo is quite fashionable. It has even invaded hiphop in one form or another.

I too asked a gal wearing a Misfits hat whether she liked the Michael Graves or Glen Danzig era Misfits or are you really new and like Dez? She looked at me like I had 10 heads.

It's fashion now. Mainstream. What's old is new. What's new is cool...

I guess it's like asking a dude/dudette wearing a Bilabong shirt if they surf?

Sometimes it's just fashion.

:-)

Yeah. I gotcha. It's not neccesarily a music thing but a fashion thing. I can still wish that people knew about the band on their t-shirt, right? Not gonna happen, but I can wish.
    PP193448 said:

I used to own a pair of K2 skis, but I've never summited or even climbed K2. I'm not a mountain climber... Guess I shouldn't wear anything North Face or Patagonia. Never been there. Plus I don't even know who the fuck Eddie Bauer is?? Is Hanes a first name or family name. Who are the Hanes family? Why did they put that hole in the crotch where your pecker falls out too often?? Guess I might just have to join some nudist colony...

Why do people wear Harley Davidson shirts if they don't own one?? And how many bitches fall off cause there's lots of those shirts too? Should I avoid putting my kids in Steelers clothes cause they don't know the players on their favorite football team? Better keep them listening to PJ so they can at least wear those shirts, huh??

To me, these are brands. Though other people do, I don't look at a band as being a "brand." I know people will definitely disagree with my opinion on that though. Let the flogging begin.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    how about you know you like them, that is really all that there is
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hrd2imgn said:

how about you know you like them, that is really all that there is

The band or the shirt?
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I bought a shirt off a 10c member that he was selling to raise $$ to get his album made or something. I just liked the design of the shirt so I bought it. I haven't worn it yet but I will very soon. Never heard the band. I probably will one day since they actually play in the city, but I had no idea where they were based when I messaged him to buy it.
    So technically I have a shirt for a band I've never heard play.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    see the whole idea for this thread came from watching a season 3 episode of Portlandia, where Fred and Carrie's new roommate played by Chloe Sevigny dresses up like Siouxsie Sioux and she can't even pronounce her name, if you have seen that episode then this would make more sense, if you haven't, then why aren't you watching Portlandia? :)
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I watched the 4 minutes Ed Ved was on the show. That's it.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited October 2014
    hedonist said:

I enjoy wearing my husband's football jerseys. Jerry Rice and a couple others are the only ones I know.

The horror!

Just no OJ jersey Hedo
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Today in my class, I noticed these really poetic lines accompanied by artwork on a students' paper. (-She's 14). I said "Wow, that's beautiful. Did you write that?" She said "No, it's Nirvana."

I was the one schooled.

I think it's great to see a younger generation connect to the ideas that fueled my youth.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    My 19year old youngest has always taken my old concert shirts.Since she was little.She would sleep in them and as she got older she would rock them to school.Im pretty sure my daughter couldn't name 10 REO,Journey,Foriegner,Sabbath or Van Halen songs.But she loves wearing them because I gave them to her.This is a kid who has been to see a ton of concerts with us(PJ,Foo,Skynard,AIC,Stone Sour,Etc)So her answer to the 10 song question would be "Fuck You I grew up with that music"!!!!
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    It just doesn't matter.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    jamburger said:

23scidoo said:

I'm working in a restaurant and theres a lot of young girls coming wear those shirts with Ramones or Stones logo, and my common joke is this..''if you can name 10 songs, the dinner its free''..i have never loose..

Yet, while you can name 10 songs, there is no prize for you.

=))
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    As little or as much as the other person they see wearing one.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

:))

People just gotta be know-it-alls.

I wonder how many people went, "Huh?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

I enjoy wearing my husband's football jerseys. Jerry Rice and a couple others are the only ones I know.

The horror!

Just no OJ jersey Hedo
    Never!!

And your other post about your daughter made me smile. Those T's sound like Golden Boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEp6-MAFbCY
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

Today in my class, I noticed these really poetic lines accompanied by artwork on a students' paper. (-She's 14). I said "Wow, that's beautiful. Did you write that?" She said "No, it's Nirvana."

I was the one schooled.

I think it's great to see a younger generation connect to the ideas that fueled my youth.

This is awesome. I don't care if a person knows or doesn't know what kind of shirt they are wearing. If it comes up and causes a convo, perfect. If not, so what. Maybe they just like the design. Pull the sticks out of your butts :P
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,459
    The band members first names.... Niall, Zain, Liam, Harry, and Louis
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
This discussion has been closed.