Options

how much should a person know about a band before wearing their shirt?

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    KV4053 said:

The band members first names.... Niall, Zain, Liam, Harry, and Louis

Here in the real world, I've never heard of these guys.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    KV4053 said:

Ewww..I know those names. Had to take my girlfriend and her daughtewr to see them at Soldier Field this summer. Yuck.

As for knowing songs or the band and wearing their shirts? You know, I worried about stuff like that when I was 15. I'm 42 now and really don't care. Once your an adult I think you're supposed to stop caring about these things.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,462
    badbrains said:

KV4053 said:

Here in the real world, I've never heard of these guys.
    I believe you ;-)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Last week I saw a young girl, maybe 13 years old, walking down the street with her family wearing a Ramones shirt. I thought "Fuck yeah!". She could have been wearing some Katy Perry shit or Taylor "Jab a screwdriver in my ear" Swift crap. Pretty sure she couldn't name one Ramones song, but once again I thought "Fuck yeah!". \m/
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436

I've been warned so I'll keep it nice: zero. The answer to the question is friggin zero. People can wear whatever the hell they want with zero knowledge of the contents on the shirt.

Ha... I think I got the same warning :D

Great answer.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

I've been warned so I'll keep it nice: zero. The answer to the question is friggin zero. People can wear whatever the hell they want with zero knowledge of the contents on the shirt.

Ha... I think I got the same warning :D

Great answer.
    Seems epidemic with these warnings lately
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Hobbes said:

Last week I saw a young girl, maybe 13 years old, walking down the street with her family wearing a Ramones shirt. I thought "Fuck yeah!". She could have been wearing some Katy Perry shit or Taylor "Jab a screwdriver in my ear" Swift crap. Pretty sure she couldn't name one Ramones song, but once again I thought "Fuck yeah!". \m/

I am like fuck no! because I bet she knows all the Katy Perry and Taylor Swift songs, that is called being a poser, the world already has too many posers. And if you are wearing a family members shirt of a band you don't know, I think that earns you an exception, I think it's cool if that guys daughter wants to wear his shirts, I am talking about people who buy shit at the mall because they want to seem trendy, I would say just be yourself, why is everyone trying to impress everyone? makes no fucking sense, never let others define you, that shit should come from within you, own it, and work with it, and do the best you fucking can. I mean if any of you want to be posers, more power to you, just ain't my thing
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Hobbes said:

I am like fuck no! because I bet she knows all the Katy Perry and Taylor Swift songs, that is called being a poser, the world already has too many posers. And if you are wearing a family members shirt of a band you don't know, I think that earns you an exception, I think it's cool if that guys daughter wants to wear his shirts, I am talking about people who buy shit at the mall because they want to seem trendy, I would say just be yourself, why is everyone trying to impress everyone? makes no fucking sense, never let others define you, that shit should come from within you, own it, and work with it, and do the best you fucking can. I mean if any of you want to be posers, more power to you, just ain't my thing
    But what if my thing is wearing shirts for bands I don't have a clue about? Should I let you define me and not wear those shirts? Or should I just do what makes me happy and wear what I want to wear and not care what a guy on a message board thinks about my shirt?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,546
    edited October 2014
    I'm just not sure why anyone would be thinking about this. Who gives a fuck?? I think it's probably a good idea to dig a little deeper than a person's t-shirt selection process when making judgement calls about them, no?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I think he's just messing with us.
  • Options

=))

Here in the real world,
    My sisters just turned 18 and she only wears shirts of bands that she's seen live. She rocks paramore and gaslight anthem shirts. Does that make her cool?

Edit-when she was 10, I bought her a pearl jam shirt from the fan club for her cuz she was always listening to pearl jam and asked me to. Def a cool younger sister.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i only know a few pj songs and not much about the band, i still could'nt careless what anybody thinks, as long as i know what songs i like thats all that matters to me and im happy to wear pj tops to bed
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    badbrains said:

=))

Here in the real world,
    My sisters just turned 18 and she only wears shirts of bands that she's seen live. She rocks paramore and gaslight anthem shirts. Does that make her cool?

Edit-when she was 10, I bought her a pearl jam shirt from the fan club for her cuz she was always listening to pearl jam and asked me to. Def a cool younger sister.
    Good stuff, bb!

Here in the real world, when I first started listening to PJ, there was no PJ shirt to be had, so I made my own, tie-died and with wax.

I bought my nieces and nephews Tigers and Red Wings shirts, even though they don't know what these teams are. They were just happy they got something from America :D

• Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    I think it's obnoxious to expect that someone's choice of shirt has to be directly proportionate to the amount they know about a band. I'm just so happy to see people in clothes that don't say "JUICY" across the ass that I don't care if they have any clue who the band is on their shirt.

Someone not knowing who Nirvana is and sporting the shirt? Not a hill I'm going to die on. Fashion on, little hipster...fashion on.
    "If there was a reason, it was you."

May 9, 2006 - Toronto, ON :: May 10, 2006 - Toronto, ON :: May 10, 2010 - Buffalo, NY :: September 11, 2011 - Toronto, ON :: September 15, 2011 - Hamilton, ON :: April 8, 2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL :: April 9, 2016 - Miami, FL :: May 8, 2016 - Ottawa, ON :: May 10, 2016 - Toronto, ON :: May 11, 2016 - Toronto, ON :: August 20, 2016 - Chicago, IL :: August 22, 2016 - Chicago, IL :: July 10, 2018 - Barcelona, ES :: August 8, 2018 - Seattle, WA:: August 10, 2018 - Seattle, WA ::

The best is yet to come:
    March 18, 2020 - Toronto, ON :: March 24, 2020 - Hamilton, ON
  • Options

badbrains said:

=))

Here in the real world,

Good stuff, bb!

Here in the real world, when I first started listening to PJ, there was no PJ shirt to be had, so I made my own, tie-died and with wax.

I bought my nieces and nephews Tigers and Red Wings shirts, even though they don't know what these teams are. They were just happy they got something from America :D

I totally know what you mean leeze, here in the real world whenever I travel over seas and take shirts for family and friends, they love and wear them with pride not knowing wtf the meaning of "thongs & bongs!" is :))
  • Options
  • Options
    motarmotar Posts: 141
    Depends on the weather.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

But what if my thing is wearing shirts for bands I don't have a clue about? Should I let you define me and not wear those shirts? Or should I just do what makes me happy and wear what I want to wear and not care what a guy on a message board thinks about my shirt?
    you definitely should not give a damn what I think, just as I don't give a damn what you think when I am making my apparel choices, just thought we were discussing t-shirts just like the threads who said you shouldn't wear Pearl Jam shirts to a Pearl Jam show, which I thought was lame, and obviously many think my view is lame, that is fine, I don't make my opinions so the majority will like it, that is a weak ass way to live your life, if you like wearing shirts of bands that you have no idea who they are then go for it, I would never tell anyone what they can or cannot do, my suggestion would be that it is false advertisement but whatever, but I will always support freedom of choice as long as your choices aren't hurting anyone else, and what clothes you wear obviously don't, so rock on whatever you decide to wear
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I wore pink corduroys and my 1993 Why Are Sheep Afraid European Tour shirt to Memphis, and I was very easy to find, and no one dressed anywhere close to me, everyone else had on Navy, Olive, Brown, Black, Gray or Denim, and I am glad that I don't dress like everyone else, but I wasn't looking around at everyone else and thinking any less of any of them, just because we don't agree, doesn't mean I don't have respect for you
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hank, I read your initial and latest post, and they seem to contradict.

Lame or not lame?

Respect or no respect?

Hope you can see the disconnect.

(it's a fucking t-shirt!)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Lame or not lame?

Respect or no respect?

no they don't contradict, just because I think it looks lame, doesn't mean I don't respect your right to wear it, the first one is a opinion, the second is a belief, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and it is my opinion, but I do thank you for your concern
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited October 2014

hedonist said:

Lame or not lame?

Respect or no respect?

no they don't contradict, just because I think it looks lame, doesn't mean I don't respect your right to wear it, the first one is a opinion, the second is a belief, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and it is my opinion, but I do thank you for your concern
    It was a comment, not a concern (not even sure where you picked up that my brow was furrowed over this).

Guess we see what we want or need to see.

:-B
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Lame or not lame?

Respect or no respect?

It was a comment, not a concern (not even sure where you picked up that my brow was furrowed over this).

Guess we see what we want or need to see.

:-B
    as Stone would say "it's all good in the hood"
  • Options
    edited October 2014

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

you definitely should not give a damn what I think, just as I don't give a damn what you think when I am making my apparel choices, just thought we were discussing t-shirts just like the threads who said you shouldn't wear Pearl Jam shirts to a Pearl Jam show, which I thought was lame, and obviously many think my view is lame, that is fine, I don't make my opinions so the majority will like it, that is a weak ass way to live your life, if you like wearing shirts of bands that you have no idea who they are then go for it, I would never tell anyone what they can or cannot do, my suggestion would be that it is false advertisement but whatever, but I will always support freedom of choice as long as your choices aren't hurting anyone else, and what clothes you wear obviously don't, so rock on whatever you decide to wear
    Ok... So one minute you're calling people posers and the next minute you support freedom of choice?

Not sure what your point is with this thread or if you have one.
    Post edited by on2legs on

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited October 2014
    I don't think it matters...if it makes you Happy then wear it...especially if it's Pearl Jam ;) lol
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    I'm now stupider for having read this....
  • Options
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Hobbes said:

Ok... So one minute you're calling people posers and the next minute you support freedom of choice?

Not sure what your point is with this thread or if you have one.
    it really depends on why you are wearing it, do you think any of the members of Pearl Jam would wear a shirt of a band they hadn't listened to? I seriously doubt they would, but if you think it makes you look cool to wear a shirt of a band you never listen to, then go for it, a lot of cool people make unfortunate fashion choices, doesn't make them bad people, and really people who are trying to be cool by misrepresenting themselves, I just feel sorry for them because you should never have to do that to try to get people to like you, it starts when you are younger and hopefully they get enough encouragement when they are younger so they can learn to just be themselves, be who you are and be proud of it, and I always have a fucking point, thank you
This discussion has been closed.