Options

Randall's Island flyer

on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
edited October 2014 in The Porch
Found this the other day when I was going through my Pearl Jam box of memories. It was included with our tickets. Instantly brought back lots of memories.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    i have that framed with my ticket. such an amazing night. still my fave after all those years.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

i have that framed with my ticket. such an amazing night. still my fave after all those years.

Me too.

Also interesting that it makes no mention about what time the merchandise truck opens up :D
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Love it

I have incredibly vivid memories of those nights. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. No code tour.... Need there be more said?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    edited October 2014
    We had no fucking idea how we were going to get back to our hotel on Saturday night.
    We had taken a cab there and thought we could cab it back.

Yeah, dumb.

What a great memory, even getting soaking wet and having to hoof it back to Manhattan
    after the bus line riots almost got us trampled by police horses.

Post edited by nukeboot on
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Awesome...I still have mine from the Hartford show!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

That's great... Had no idea they sent them out for other shows.

• Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    We walked back across that bridge in the cold rain first night. Didn't ever think we would make it to Manhattan. Had on the black "Isolation" shirt when we came out in Harlem. One cop looked at the other & said "that's a bright one, he's actually wearing a bullseye on his chest". Never thought about it until then. But that second night we figured out the subway, waited on the packed buses & got a cab back to hotel. Second night is still etched so vividly in my brain, can go back anytime I want. It was the perfect show! Hope they one day release a Vault of it. May still have that flyer in my P.J. trunk. Not near in that good of shape though. Thank's for sharing, still sitting here smiling.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Good stuff op!
    Anyone know if this show was advertised in Village Voice or other papers?
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

We walked back across that bridge in the cold rain first night. Didn't ever think we would make it to Manhattan. Had on the black "Isolation" shirt when we came out in Harlem. One cop looked at the other & said "that's a bright one, he's actually wearing a bullseye on his chest". Never thought about it until then. But that second night we figured out the subway, waited on the packed buses & got a cab back to hotel. Second night is still etched so vividly in my brain, can go back anytime I want. It was the perfect show! Hope they one day release a Vault of it. May still have that flyer in my P.J. trunk. Not near in that good of shape though. Thank's for sharing, still sitting here smiling.

Would love a vault release from night 2.

You are somebody!

• Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    You are somebody too!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    My wife and I took our sons, ages 12 & 14 Sat. night to our first shows. Sat in the rain. We were lucky to have gotten on one of the last buses off the island. Sun., went with friends. Better weather. One of my fondest memories of this whole tour was driving to the main post office in NYC and walking up the steps at 11:59PM and waiting to give the postal worker the envelope and have it stamped 12:00AM the next day. Though it was a bit of a hassle, it was easier getting tickets thru mail order than this lottery. Better days.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Found this online, one of those moments you're thankful someone had their phone with a camera, (did they even have them then? Wtf) but it has everything in it. Pre-wine drinking Vedder, stoner perfecting his penguin shuffle dance move, fucken jack irons, everything, including me, somewhere in that fucken pit, 21 years old. Wow, what a fucken memory to have. Whoever recorded this, THANK YOU!

http://youtu.be/Bs2JrRD1bqE
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

Hey I m listening to the Hartford show right; were people actually moshing in their seats?! It sounds like it was crazy down front. By the way I absolutely love this boot!!!! And the fact it s from the soundboard is awesome.
  • Options
    Yeah the pit was intense. I was 16. Don't need to say much more than that but I stood up on people's hands and they would throw me into the air and where I came down nobody knows.....

Hurt a bunch of people and I'm sorry. Also sorry for the ladies that crowd surfed. At 16 that was def the first time I saw gratuitous grabbing and inappropriate fondling of a person who couldn't protect their self.... Intense.

Jack irons will always be the king to me.
  • Options
    But were was the pit if the venue had seats?
  • Options
    The whole arena was GA
  • Options

Yeah the pit was intense. I was 16. Don't need to say much more than that but I stood up on people's hands and they would throw me into the air and where I came down nobody knows.....

Hurt a bunch of people and I'm sorry. Also sorry for the ladies that crowd surfed. At 16 that was def the first time I saw gratuitous grabbing and inappropriate fondling of a person who couldn't protect their self.... Intense.

Jack irons will always be the king to me.

Man I bet u and I smashed into each other in the pit no doubt! And I remember seeing exactly what u described. Wow, pretty wild.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

BinFrog said:

Hey I m listening to the Hartford show right; were people actually moshing in their seats?! It sounds like it was crazy down front. By the way I absolutely love this boot!!!! And the fact it s from the soundboard is awesome.
    We were farther back but yeah, the whole place was going nuts.
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

mcgruff10 said:

BinFrog said:

We were farther back but yeah, the whole place was going nuts.
    Was the 96 and 06 show in the same venue?
  • Options
    96, 98, 06, 08
  • Options
    They didn't play the venue between 98 and 06 because of the way the cops treated the fans at the 96 and 98 shows (pepper spray, over the top handling). Hence the LO2L liner notes.
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

They didn't play the venue between 98 and 06 because of the way the cops treated the fans at the 96 and 98 shows (pepper spray, over the top handling). Hence the LO2L liner notes.

Ya Hartford was a fucken crazy show that year. The fucken pepper spray bullshit. I didn't even know they were spraying it. Had just finished burning some greens and all of a sudden started to choke. Looked at my buddy jay and asked him if the joint was laced with something. Then with all the mayhem going on, and people screaming "they're macing everyone!!!" We figured it out. A night to never forget and I got the boot. Listen to Jeremy and vedder starts warning some kid during the song. Fucken insane.
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    really cool to see the Hartford flyer.
    i had just been to the merriweather show the week before and i thought IT was insane.
    me and my group started the mosh pit on the lawn at merriweather, and boy, that shit got CrAzY, fast!
    i insisted to my buddys living in hartford and providence that we just HAD to go to the hartford show.
    now THAT was an insane show.
    i was pretty terrified to be honest.
    we had 4 seats that were split up in the pavillion, but security didnt care where we were sitting.
    we got to the back of the 200 level and just kind of sank into the seats before the show started.
    we were worried wed get tossed back to our 300 level seats, but security never once talked to us.
    once the pepper spray started, people started rushing the aisles.
    they were all filling down front.
    coming from the lawn, and from other sections of the pavillion.
    people were climbing all over each other.
    swimming.
    floating.
    scrambling.
    panicing.
    falling into the seats.
    it was utter maddness.
    my buddy eric looked at me and said 'you wanna go down there?'
    i said, 'nah, im cool'
    we all had TONS of mushroom tea, and it all seemed very surreal.
    until eddied started addressing everyone in his crazy, low, deep baritone.
    then we all knew it was very very real, what we were witnessing.
    'all right now y'all...settle down...'
    it looked so super dangerous.
    i really thought the show might stop, or get cancelled.
    i couldnt believe they way PJ just took ahold of the situation, and got them under control.
    they blasted a mesmerizing porch with chicagos 25 or 6 to 1 jam.
    craziest thing ive ever seen at a concert.
    luckily, we only got small brief whiffs of the pepper spray, and no one in my group got a direct hit.
    one of the best shows ive ever seen...hands down.

epic memories...
    jake
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    alphawolf said:

really cool to see the Hartford flyer.
    i had just been to the merriweather show the week before and i thought IT was insane.
    me and my group started the mosh pit on the lawn at merriweather, and boy, that shit got CrAzY, fast!
    i insisted to my buddys living in hartford and providence that we just HAD to go to the hartford show.
    now THAT was an insane show.
    i was pretty terrified to be honest.
    we had 4 seats that were split up in the pavillion, but security didnt care where we were sitting.
    we got to the back of the 200 level and just kind of sank into the seats before the show started.
    we were worried wed get tossed back to our 300 level seats, but security never once talked to us.
    once the pepper spray started, people started rushing the aisles.
    they were all filling down front.
    coming from the lawn, and from other sections of the pavillion.
    people were climbing all over each other.
    swimming.
    floating.
    scrambling.
    panicing.
    falling into the seats.
    it was utter maddness.
    my buddy eric looked at me and said 'you wanna go down there?'
    i said, 'nah, im cool'
    we all had TONS of mushroom tea, and it all seemed very surreal.
    until eddied started addressing everyone in his crazy, low, deep baritone.
    then we all knew it was very very real, what we were witnessing.
    'all right now y'all...settle down...'
    it looked so super dangerous.
    i really thought the show might stop, or get cancelled.
    i couldnt believe they way PJ just took ahold of the situation, and got them under control.
    they blasted a mesmerizing porch with chicagos 25 or 6 to 1 jam.
    craziest thing ive ever seen at a concert.
    luckily, we only got small brief whiffs of the pepper spray, and no one in my group got a direct hit.
    one of the best shows ive ever seen...hands down.

epic memories...
    jake

Damn jake, you're making me relive the whole night! Shit was insane!
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    i really cant believe they went on with the show.
    it was wayyyy outta control lol
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    I still can't believe people were moshing and crowd surfing over seats!!!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

It was the 90's! And I know I was a young fuck at 21!
  • Options
    badbrains said:

mcgruff10 said:

I was 18 at randall's island. I would love to go back to that night!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

badbrains said:

mcgruff10 said:

I was 18 at randall's island. I would love to go back to that night!
    How sick would it be to travel back in time to those 2 nights? I'm with you!