Oct. 05, 2014

01. Long Road
02. Go
03. Why Go
04. Do The Evolution
05. Mind Your Manners
06. Save You
07. Corduroy
(Ed notes the flags in the audience including a very long pole whose owner he assumes is compensating for something. He warns them to watch out for lightning)
08. Lightning Bolt
(Ed reminds the audience that Monday is the last day to register to vote. He doesn’t think that the audience is the type of people to assume that things will just ‘work out’. For example if you are woman who just lost a fundamental right or something you have to get out and vote. If you lose we all lose.)
09. Faithfull
10. Love Boat Captain (with intro)
11. My Father’s Son
12. Got Some
13. Even Flow
(Ed dedicates the next song to the chief of police in Austin whom he understands is a fan. He also complements the audience on their behavior and says that he has heard they have been well behaved all three days)
14. Sirens
15. Red Mosquito w/ Danny Clinch
16. Daughter (Alex Chilton-(Westerberg)/Atomic Dog-(Clinton, Shider, Spradley)
(Ed polls the audience to see how many had a shitty father or mother. He says the good thing about having “a shitty father is you will probably end up being a good father because you know what not to do. Break the cycle.”)
17. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1

(Ed notes that the audience is “a large organism. A large organ. Between you and the guy with the pole...” He also mentions that front of house engineer Greg Nelson has moved recently to Austin and that the audience has been invited to Greg’s after the show. Someone needs to bring cups. Greg will supply the beer. Don’t wake up the new baby while walking around to the back.”)

18. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
19. Imagine-(Lennon)
20. Come Back (dedicated to Joey Thomas)
21. State Of Love And Trust
22. Lukin
23. Porch
24. Alive
25. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Damn. Ill take this festival set list any day.
  • Options
    4 TRADE

My 1st born for tickets to the rest of the
    Pearl Jam tour
  • Options
    pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    Can't wait to hear Alex Chilton! Thanks Sea
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,961
    For a festival set it sure had a few gems in there :)

Long road , Save you , LBC , Faithfull (never heard it :( ) , Come Back
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited October 2014
    Save you, then the run from Faithfull to Got Some? Ridiculous. The boys were in top form, too bad they couldn't play their regular length show, it would surely have been epic and would make everyone question their "no festival shows" rule!

Love Boat Captain was special. They did an instrumental intro, Mike, Stone and Jeff were looking at Ed to follow his lead and there was so much anticipation because it sounded familiar, and yet I couldn't place it. The song itself was out of this world. Can't describe.

I'm not a huge fan of Got Some but always love seeing it, because of Ed's arm choreography :D

I'm so happy I was there!
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    Oh, and DANNY CLINCH on harmonica during Red Mosquito! Badass.
  • Options
    wingwalkerwingwalker Syosset, NY Posts: 54
    How was the venue? How many people were there and how was the sound?
    Mark
    Jones Beach1, NY - 2000
    MSG1, NY - 2008
    Brooklyn1, NY - 2013
    Tulsa, OK - 2014
    Austin City Limits 2, TX - 2014
    Philadelphia1, PA - 2016
    Philadelphia2, PA - 2016
  • Options
    Festival was super well organized. Sound was weird for the first 2 bands, there was a lot of bass and it really felt like my internal organs were going to explode to the vibration lol. They fixed it by Gaslight Anthem tho.

I thought the sound for Pearl Jam was great, but have to caveat that I was on the rail and very much a visual person, so the sound would have to be pretty shitty for me to be unhappy :D
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    "Ed notes the flags in the audience including a very long pole whose owner he assumes is compensating for something"

"A large organ. Between you and the guy with the pole...”

MORE DICK JOKES! keeping up with st louis, ed's got dick on the brain ..

interesting to see imagine right away, was wondering if it was of the one off special variety or regular rotation.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I love the Go/Why Go combo.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    vs_fanvs_fan Posts: 24
    How did Imagine sound? I'm hoping they play it at one of the three shows I'll be going to on this tour.
    2003: Irvine
    2005: Toronto
    2006: Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles 1 & 2, Henry Fonda, Honolulu
    2009: Universal City 3 & 4
    2011: Calgary, Edmonton
    2013: Los Angeles 1 & 2, Oakland, Seattle
    2014: Austin (Week 2), Milwaukee, Denver
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Philly 1 & 2
    2018: Seattle 2, Wrigley 1 & 2 
    EV:
    2012: Las Vegas 1 & 2
    2016: Ohana 
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    I thought imagine sounded great. Alive was awesome. Crowd was singing like crazy.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The only thing that bummed me out was that the people camping out in the front for PJ could barely give a clap for the Replacements. Very few did. The rest was silence. People shouldve been going nuts for them. Top 10 rock band ever.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Imagine was spine-tingling. I don't know any other way to describe it. There were 80,000 people there, and you could hear a pin drop during the first verse. ... Then everyone singing along in unison to the "Imagine all the people" bit. It was like church.

As far as the non-covers go, this was a show that reminded us that the standards are standards for a reason. I'm as guilty as anyone of chasing rarities, willing to trade a shitty, half-assed version of something like "Undone" for yet another spot-on rendition of "Alive."

But I'll tell you what: In a festival setting the tried and true songs fucking kick ass. One of my favorite moments of the night was the crowd's response to "Alive." For those five or six minutes, there were 80,000 people all occupying the same head space. It was a very communal feeling and, at the risk of overstating everything, reminds you of what it is like to be alive and human.

My only regret is they skipped Black on the setlist. It's been too long since I've heard that one live.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PS -- If anyone has an extra for next Sunday ;)
  • Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106

The only thing that bummed me out was that the people camping out in the front for PJ could barely give a clap for the Replacements. Very few did. The rest was silence. People shouldve been going nuts for them. Top 10 rock band ever.

That's pretty disappointing! You are right on, the Replacements are a band that people should be paying attention to as you will likely not see them again and to catch them live will be a sloppy treat. I am coming for the next weekend and the 2 bands I am most looking forward to are PJ and the Replacements. Hoping the crowd is better for them next weekend.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Spot on point about the replacements show. Kind of showed that a lot of the fans there for PJ just didn't have the music background that music fans in general have. I was right up there going nuts while the people around me all stood around or even sat on their blankets. You're at a festival people, not just a pj concert with no opener!! I don't mind people there all day to keep their rail spots for PJ, but I agree, there was no respect given to the other bands on the samsung stage.

PJ: Energy was off the charts. Made me happy to be able to see them again while they still have the crazy energy they do- they're def looking older than they used to. Stone looks like he put a few lbs on his face though which is good. Sound was honestly a bit muddy. Vocals sounded fantastic, mike had great tone and was very clear. Jeff was a bit muddy though- even during MFS his bass wasn't the centerpiece of the song as I think it should be. Stone definitely was turned down a bit as was boom.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125

Couldn't agree more. It was like 90% of the crowd had never even heard of them. It was shameful and pathetic. I felt embarrassed that my great city would dish that up to such a legendary band that deserved more.

Tommy and Paul made a few remarks about it, sort of in jest, but you could see they were disappointed (or maybe bemused) as well. They were melting in the heat, and I was thinking the crowd was going to push them over the edge and they'd walk off after 40 minutes. Wouldn't have blamed them.

I was wishing they had done a late night set at Stubb's or somewhere like that ... at night with a proper set/crowd ... would have been unbelievable. But they still crushed it. The finishing run of their set was my clear highlight of the night ... I Will Dare > Can't Hardly Wait > Bastards of Young > Left of The Dial > Alex Chilton ... just phenomenal and for me it was above anything PJ produced (who were still fantastic as always). It's a shame the crowd was full of a bunch of losers with zero clue about the greatness they were witnessing.
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    Alfonz said:

Couldn't agree more. It was like 90% of the crowd had never even heard of them. It was shameful and pathetic. I felt embarrassed that my great city would dish that up to such a legendary band that deserved more.

Tommy and Paul made a few remarks about it, sort of in jest, but you could see they were disappointed (or maybe bemused) as well. They were melting in the heat, and I was thinking the crowd was going to push them over the edge and they'd walk off after 40 minutes. Wouldn't have blamed them.

I was wishing they had done a late night set at Stubb's or somewhere like that ... at night with a proper set/crowd ... would have been unbelievable. But they still crushed it. The finishing run of their set was my clear highlight of the night ... I Will Dare > Can't Hardly Wait > Bastards of Young > Left of The Dial > Alex Chilton ... just phenomenal and for me it was above anything PJ produced (who were still fantastic as always). It's a shame the crowd was full of a bunch of losers with zero clue about the greatness they were witnessing.
    Can't wait to see the mats, will clearly be the highlight for me.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Being able to see The Mats and PJ on the same day would be a dream for me. PJ may be a great band, but to me, seeing the Mats would be more of an emotional moment since their music has more meaning to me.
  • Options
    brianwilsonbrianwilson Posts: 406
    edited October 2014
    Most of the crowd didn't know who the Mats are? That's very lame but doesn't surprise me - a lot of punk fans in the early 90's could reference the Clash, etc., but they had no idear about the Minutemen and the Mats. So, even schooled, decent listeners are not very objective.

Post edited by brianwilson on
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    remember coachella when they had stone roses a year or two ago? maybe 5k showed up.. the festivals dont really go for the alternative nostalgia.. they want loud bass and blinking lights and beeps
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Lsk6453Lsk6453 Ponte Vedra, FL Posts: 550
    Curious to know how many people were camping out for PJ. I am going next weekend and looking forward to the Replacements and Gaslight Anthem. I figure one I am at the Samsung stage for the Replacements, I won't leave. I plan on seeing many bands before them as well.
    Shows attended: 38

7/5/98 Dallas, 10/17/00 Dallas, 4/30/03 Uniondale, 7/8/03 MSG 1, 7/9/03 MSG 2, 9/28/04 Boston 1, 9/29/04 Boston 2, 10/03/05 Philly, 4/15/06 SNL, 5/5/06 Irving Plaza, 5/13/06 Hartford, 6/1/06 NJ 1, 6/3/06 NJ 2, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/27/08 Hartford, 7/1/08 The Beacon, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 5/20/10 MSG, 5/21/10 MSG, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13, Brooklyn, 10/25/13 Hartford, 11/15/13 Dallas, 10/12/14 Austin 2, 5/1/16 MSG 1, 5/2/16 MSG 2, 8/5/15 Fenway 1, 4/7/17 RRHOF Induction, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle  2, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/13/23 Ft. Worth 1, 9/15/23 Ft. Worth 2, 5/16/24 Vegas 1, 5/18/24 Vegas 2
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I was jumping up and down for The Replacements up front! And honestly, I think the crowd was roaring much more for them than for Gaslight Anthem (which surprised me, to be honest). However, I think it's just the nature of festivals and bands have to put up with knowing that not everyone there is there for them. If I'm going to be on the rail, I feel a responsibility to bring it for any band playing but it was a really hot day and I know a lot of people were struggling, me included (I pleaded for water from security even though they weren't really supposed to be handing them out - towards the end of the night they were giving them out more freely, probably because they knew they had enough for themselves).

Speaking of The Replacements, Paul planted one on Tommy. And Tommy said, "That felt greaat". I thought their set was nuts.
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    I have only been to a handful of shows, but last night just blew my mind!

I was thinking that they would come out with some fast stuff and then tone it down for a while but that was not the case. They brought their A-game from start to finish. Long Road was such a fantastic surprise! Favorites were: Long Road, Red Mosquito, Faithful, Imagine, Save You, and of course, Come Back

If there were ever any doubts on whether or not they are still capable of just melting faces, last night proved otherwise! Everything sounded great and the band were on point all night long!

Good job boys! See you next weekend!
    ...I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on... 11/01/2013 - NOLA Voodoo 11/15/2013 - Dallas 11/16/2013 - OKC 07/11/2014 - Milton Keynes, UK 10/05/2014 - ACL Weekend #1 10/12/2014 - ACL Weekend #2
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

....it was a really hot day

It was only like 87! Welcome to TX!!!

:D
  • Options
    By the way I'm definitely wearing earplugs next week. I can usually deal no problem being that close to the stage, but my ears are totally F'd up today. Probably the loudest show I've been to in a long long time.
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730

yes they should have
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    Instead of the (however justified) whining about the apparent lacks of respect for the Replacements ... anyone wanna talk about the Pearl Jam portion of the show? ;)
  • Options

I was thinking that they would come out with some fast stuff and then tone it down for a while but that was not the case. They brought their A-game from start to finish. Long Road was such a fantastic surprise! Favorites were: Long Road, Red Mosquito, Faithful, Imagine, Save You, and of course, Come Back

Those first six or seven songs, I'm thinking: "They're either going to kill the singer, or they're going to kill me trying to keep up and sign along." I was sweat-soaked by Mind Your Manners.