*** ACL Festival Fanviews Here 10/5/14 ***

Comments

• Steadyd84Steadyd84 Brattleboro, VT Posts: 33
    Was absolutely incredible; my 3rd PJ show, and it was everything I could have hoped for and more. I got "RVM", "State of Love & Trust", "Red Mosquito", "Long Road", and "Come Back" (still can't believe they played it, one of my favorites) for the first time. Always incredible to hear "Faithful", "Save You", and "Love Boat Captain"

"Imagine" into the dedication and performance or "Come Back" had me quite teary eyed, and amazed.

Can't wait for next Sunday!
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    San Antonio, Texas 11-16-2012 (EV)
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Austin, Texas 10-05-2014
    Austin, Texas 10-12-2014
    Chicago, Illinois 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington 08-10-2018
    Nashville, Tennessee 09-16-2022 
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

Suziemay said:

....it was a really hot day

It was only like 87! Welcome to TX!!!

:D
    LOL But I don't think you guys would bake in the sun for 7+ hours normally!

Instead of the (however justified) whining about the apparent lacks of respect for the Replacements ... anyone wanna talk about the Pearl Jam portion of the show? ;)

I already did! Up there somewhere!

Here's the awesome LBC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaEZu2ANes
  • I didn't make this weekend, but Space City Shows YouTube page has some great videos of the set. Can't wait for this Sunday, introducing my soon to be brother in-law to the PJ live experience.
    Dallas '03, ACL '09, PJ20, Lollapalooza Brazil '13, Wrigley '13, Dallas '13, ACL '14, Milwaukee '14, Bonnaroo '16, Wrigley '16, Nashville '22
    Oh, and MOSQUITOS!!!! Austin has lots of mosquitos. Apparently I'm the only one who did not know that. Little red dots all over my legs. Disgusting! Other than that, love Austin :D
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Really really like the way they began LBC total different feel to the song thanks for posting :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited October 2014

Really really like the way they began LBC total different feel to the song thanks for posting :)

Yes, I was totally blown away! They did this in Cincy too (I wasn't there), not sure why there wasn't more chatter about it. Although, it was probably good not to have expected it because I was confused for awhile, and then when the opening chords for LBC came on, I was like YEAHHHH!!!!!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Suziemay said:

Yes, I was totally blown away! They did this in Cincy too (I wasn't there), not sure why there wasn't more chatter about it. Although, it was probably good not to have expected it because I was confused for awhile, and then when the opening chords for LBC came on, I was like YEAHHHH!!!!!
    I had actually YouTubed the Cincy version, so I knew it when I heard it. Wish I hadn't. Would have been an awesomer surprise the other way.

Still, really dig the extended version.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Suziemay said:

Oh, and MOSQUITOS!!!! Austin has lots of mosquitos. Apparently I'm the only one who did not know that. Little red dots all over my legs. Disgusting! Other than that, love Austin :D

Ha, yeah- we get rain a few times a year and we just got dumped on a few weeks ago, so they breed breed breed when it's wet I guess?! But they've been terrible!!! Had to take my damn cat to the vet because he got so many bites I thought he had a virus!! Cat Ebola!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    "good man, but eddie just kept talking and talkin"
    "spent 30 minutes out of 2 hours rambling about nonsense"
    "imagine, that was really cool"

response to a text i sent to a kid at work that went to acl, mid 20's (kind of a meathead) and asked him his thoughts on the pj set. kind of funny, and for the record he is by no means a barometer for good taste in music in my opinion, i was curious of an outsiders perspective. and by outisder, i mean way outsider. kids these days just want to hear beeps and blips and waomp-womps and see fancy blinking lights...

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Do they release the ACL videos anywhere? I know every stage had MANY camera men filming the shows, does anyone know if they sell like a DVD or something. I had a great time and would love a video of it!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    edited October 2014
    I just got back from weekend one.

PJ was really good with lots of great energy, but definitely lost some momentum during this portion
    My Father's Son
    Got Some
    Even Flow
    Sirens
    Imagine was the clear highlight for me. Ed crushed it.

IMHO you don't go to these fests to get a killer set or a killer view. You go to hang with friends, and see lots of great artists. ACL delivered that in a big, big way. What a blast. PJ to cap off the fest was just a bonus.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Loving this set list! Red Mosquito baby!

Love this band - dual dedications for Joey Thomas - beautiful!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • I wanted to wait a few days before I posted my thoughts of the show. Good show but was expecting a stellar show. This was my 9th PJ show and I have never seen such a general disconnect from the crowd towards PJ. Granted it is a festival but anyone who saw them at Atlanta Midtown Music Festival in 2012 or even VooDoo Fest last year knows they can turn any crowd into a huge party. The party atmosphere happened only during Alive (awesome as always) in my opinion. I was thinking, where the hell was this energy and for the previous 2 hours? Even the band felt it. They didn't post it here on the setlist notes (because they don't want to take anything away from their performance) but Ed said something like "I know it's a Sunday night but you can still act like it's a Saturday night" about 20 minutes into the show. Total band/crowd disconnect the first 45 minutes unless you were a diehard PJ fan. Just thousands of people standing there. No jumping. No singing. No fist pumps. Just casual clapping at the end of the songs like a random bar cover band. One hour into the show and people all around me were dropping like flies just sitting down for the show so that they couldn't even see the TV screens just the back of people's asses, no kidding. Part of this disconnect is the setlist which is cool if your a PJ fan, but no casual fan wants to hear 45 minutes of songs they have never heard of from the Headliner. I don't want to hear a greatest hits list necessarily but I do hope they gear the opening hour of ACL 2 to winning the crowd over and showing all these 16-25 year olds (which there is a huge amount of) exactly why PJ is the greatest rock band performing today. ACL 1 did not do that. I hope the boys read this post and it lights a fire and if they would like me to write the entire setlist for ACL 2, I would happily oblige, just send me a private message Ed. Highlights were Lukin, Love Boat Captain and Alive. See you boys on Sunday. BRING THE THUNDER FROM THE BEGINNING!
  • My 21st show and had a perspective I've never had - way, way far away from the stage. Also, my first with a baby (3 months old). My wife and I hung out and basically just listened to the greatest band ever.

Not sure how to describe that first wave from Go through Lightning Bolt, but as I was listening to the crunchiness, the shredding, the anger (in a good way) coming from the stage through that music, I could imagine how people near the front were probably losing their minds and a bunch of sweat. A blistering performance.

Somebody said it earlier in this thread, because a lot of us have seen the band multiple times, we always want some rarities. I must say it was refreshing to be at such a crisp, in your face show, with hits that I can jam to every day of the week. So much energy.

Highlights for me were, Long Road, Go, Faithful, Love Boat Captain, Red Mosquito, Even Flow, Rearview Mirror and Come Back.
    edited October 2014
    Glodowski said:

I wanted to wait a few days before I posted my thoughts of the show. Good show but was expecting a stellar show. This was my 9th PJ show and I have never seen such a general disconnect from the crowd towards PJ. Granted it is a festival but anyone who saw them at Atlanta Midtown Music Festival in 2012 or even VooDoo Fest last year knows they can turn any crowd into a huge party. The party atmosphere happened only during Alive (awesome as always) in my opinion. I was thinking, where the hell was this energy and for the previous 2 hours? Even the band felt it. They didn't post it here on the setlist notes (because they don't want to take anything away from their performance) but Ed said something like "I know it's a Sunday night but you can still act like it's a Saturday night" about 20 minutes into the show. Total band/crowd disconnect the first 45 minutes unless you were a diehard PJ fan. Just thousands of people standing there. No jumping. No singing. No fist pumps. Just casual clapping at the end of the songs like a random bar cover band. One hour into the show and people all around me were dropping like flies just sitting down for the show so that they couldn't even see the TV screens just the back of people's asses, no kidding. Part of this disconnect is the setlist which is cool if your a PJ fan, but no casual fan wants to hear 45 minutes of songs they have never heard of from the Headliner. I don't want to hear a greatest hits list necessarily but I do hope they gear the opening hour of ACL 2 to winning the crowd over and showing all these 16-25 year olds (which there is a huge amount of) exactly why PJ is the greatest rock band performing today. ACL 1 did not do that. I hope the boys read this post and it lights a fire and if they would like me to write the entire setlist for ACL 2, I would happily oblige, just send me a private message Ed. Highlights were Lukin, Love Boat Captain and Alive. See you boys on Sunday. BRING THE THUNDER FROM THE BEGINNING!

I'm sorry that that was your experience. I know it can be a bit of a bummer if the people around you aren't that into the show. I didn't think the crowd wasn't into the show, at least the area I was at, they just weren't super expressive compared to say, a crowd at MSG. Personally, I'm glad they went with the setlist that they did, and I think everyone was still genuinely enjoying, they just couldn't sing along or get super excited because they didn't recognize a lot of the songs.

I have to disagree with you about the band bring brought down by the crowd, though. I was up front, and they definitely looked like they were having a good time.
    ^^^^ totally agree with suziemay. I was about 8 people back and the band in no way thought the crowd was a bummer. Ed asked how it sounded out there to the audience pretty early on and Jeff laughed and said what looked like "ha, why'd you ask, they sure seem to like it," back at Ed.

It's all about where you were standing. If you're quite a ways from the stage, you're experiencing a show from a perspective of those around you- and those around you had just spent 8 hours in the tx sun- or maybe this was the last 8 hours of a 3 day event for them.- before staggering over to the headliner at the end of their weekend.

All in all though, Austin music fans tend to be a bit too cool for school IMO, so you may have picked up on that a little bit. Having so much music around all the time I find that the locals aren't always going crazy when they ought to be. I've won tickets to a bunch of pbs ACL tapings in the past and I'm always going nuts, but a lot of people are standing there yawning like they have something better to be doing. Crazy.
  • Maybe I'm just spoiled. The last time I saw them was last year back to back nights in Dallas/OKC and they absolutely killed it both nights, anyone who was there can attest to that. Band was strong, guess not everyone loses their mind like me at a good rock show. Mike was a maniac as usual. Can't wait till this Sunday.
    I think the set was exactly as expected.
    EV through in the nuggets
    Glodowski said:

Maybe I'm just spoiled. The last time I saw them was last year back to back nights in Dallas/OKC and they absolutely killed it both nights, anyone who was there can attest to that. Band was strong, guess not everyone loses their mind like me at a good rock show. Mike was a maniac as usual. Can't wait till this Sunday.

Yes. This band has spoiled us. No doubt. Fans absolutely need to set expectations lower for festival shows otherwise you will be disappointed. Of course now that I wrote that the band will do an all rarities/hardcore favorites set on Sunday.
    Get_Right said:

I think the set was exactly as expected.
    EV through in the nuggets

Glodowski said:

Maybe I'm just spoiled. The last time I saw them was last year back to back nights in Dallas/OKC and they absolutely killed it both nights, anyone who was there can attest to that. Band was strong, guess not everyone loses their mind like me at a good rock show. Mike was a maniac as usual. Can't wait till this Sunday.

Yes. This band has spoiled us. No doubt. Fans absolutely need to set expectations lower for festival shows otherwise you will be disappointed. Of course now that I wrote that the band will do an all rarities/hardcore favorites set on Sunday. Glad I could help.
    Sweet! I look forward to it too!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Glodowski said:

I wanted to wait a few days before I posted my thoughts of the show. Good show but was expecting a stellar show. This was my 9th PJ show and I have never seen such a general disconnect from the crowd towards PJ. Granted it is a festival but anyone who saw them at Atlanta Midtown Music Festival in 2012 or even VooDoo Fest last year knows they can turn any crowd into a huge party. The party atmosphere happened only during Alive (awesome as always) in my opinion. I was thinking, where the hell was this energy and for the previous 2 hours? Even the band felt it. They didn't post it here on the setlist notes (because they don't want to take anything away from their performance) but Ed said something like "I know it's a Sunday night but you can still act like it's a Saturday night" about 20 minutes into the show. Total band/crowd disconnect the first 45 minutes unless you were a diehard PJ fan. Just thousands of people standing there. No jumping. No singing. No fist pumps. Just casual clapping at the end of the songs like a random bar cover band. One hour into the show and people all around me were dropping like flies just sitting down for the show so that they couldn't even see the TV screens just the back of people's asses, no kidding. Part of this disconnect is the setlist which is cool if your a PJ fan, but no casual fan wants to hear 45 minutes of songs they have never heard of from the Headliner. I don't want to hear a greatest hits list necessarily but I do hope they gear the opening hour of ACL 2 to winning the crowd over and showing all these 16-25 year olds (which there is a huge amount of) exactly why PJ is the greatest rock band performing today. ACL 1 did not do that. I hope the boys read this post and it lights a fire and if they would like me to write the entire setlist for ACL 2, I would happily oblige, just send me a private message Ed. Highlights were Lukin, Love Boat Captain and Alive. See you boys on Sunday. BRING THE THUNDER FROM THE BEGINNING!

I don't know where you were, but we were sort of front of the big screen on Mike's side. Everyone around us was in into it from the get-go.

I think you are also misinterpreting Ed's Saturday/Sunday quote. He wasn't chastising the crowd at all. He was saying, "Settle in motherfuckers, because it's going to be a long night." He says something similar early in basically every show I've ever been to.

I also disagree that it was a set not fit for the casual fan. In fact, I felt the exact opposite. A whole shitload of Ten songs -- more than I've seen in a single show in a long time. It was six or seven songs into the night before they played a song less than 15 years old. Lots of 90s radio staples in that set.

I went to the festival with a bunch of casual fans, who were all stoked to get a set full of standards. I was happy for them as well. I was glad they all got to hear a bunch of songs they recognized. I didn't not get the sense that this was a setlist out of left field at all.

Anyway ... it looks like we had two different experiences at the show. A lot depends on the general vibe of the people around you I guess. Our little section was pretty fucking stoked.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    The long run from Lightning Bolt (or even Mind Your Manners) through Red Mosquito is not going to make a tired crowd go nuts when 90% only know Corduroy and Even Flow. Hold their attention due to the band's quality ... sure ... but people will probably be quietly enjoying things.

The best part was undoubtedly the encore from Small Town & Imagine (for the masses), to Come Back (for the fans), and then just blasting through the rest with basically no rests in between. Mike smashing the globe in Porch was not something I'd seen. I assume those things are made out of glass/acrylic? Seemed kind of dangerous, he had the guitar on his head and was kind of headbutting the globe with the guitar edge leading.

Still, despite most standing around calmly (which to be honest is how a lot of people enjoy shows in the US), I don't think the energy was a bummer for the band at all. At least the crowd responded a lot better than the 'Mats ... lots of cheering in between songs, singing the main parts everyone knows, clapping, etc. To be honest, I think the band did a great job of holding interest in a crowd that didn't get to hear Jeremy, Better Man, Black, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, Given To Fly, etc.

On a side note, no offence to Suziemay and others, but I really just don't get those who camp out all day, causing discomfort (and potential danger if not hydrated) to themselves, just to be a few yards closer to the stage. Especially when it sounds way better a bit further back. I got there at 5.30pm for the Mats and found a great spot near the central divider rail, about 30 yards back. I can't see how it is worth the trouble to get any closer. Each to their own I guess, who am I to judge ... I just don't understand it.
    Alfonz said:

The long run from Lightning Bolt (or even Mind Your Manners) through Red Mosquito is not going to make a tired crowd go nuts when 90% only know Corduroy and Even Flow. Hold their attention due to the band's quality ... sure ... but people will probably be quietly enjoying things.

The best part was undoubtedly the encore from Small Town & Imagine (for the masses), to Come Back (for the fans), and then just blasting through the rest with basically no rests in between. Mike smashing the globe in Porch was not something I'd seen. I assume those things are made out of glass/acrylic? Seemed kind of dangerous, he had the guitar on his head and was kind of headbutting the globe with the guitar edge leading.

Still, despite most standing around calmly (which to be honest is how a lot of people enjoy shows in the US), I don't think the energy was a bummer for the band at all. At least the crowd responded a lot better than the 'Mats ... lots of cheering in between songs, singing the main parts everyone knows, clapping, etc. To be honest, I think the band did a great job of holding interest in a crowd that didn't get to hear Jeremy, Better Man, Black, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, Given To Fly, etc.

On a side note, no offence to Suziemay and others, but I really just don't get those who camp out all day, causing discomfort (and potential danger if not hydrated) to themselves, just to be a few yards closer to the stage. Especially when it sounds way better a bit further back. I got there at 5.30pm for the Mats and found a great spot near the central divider rail, about 30 yards back. I can't see how it is worth the trouble to get any closer. Each to their own I guess, who am I to judge ... I just don't understand it.

It is 1,000% worth it, but yes, to each their own. Not interested in convincing you otherwise :)
  • FaithfulOneFaithfulOne Bend, Oregon Posts: 48

I was about 8 people back

RoleModelsinBlood31 what time did you get there to get that close to the stage? As soon as the festival gates open?

I was about 8 people back

RoleModelsinBlood31 what time did you get there to get that close to the stage? As soon as the festival gates open?
    No, I don't do it that way at all. I'm at a festival to see music, not at a concert to see one band. If I go to see a pj show I may do that but that's not what ACL is for. We went and saw a ton of other stuff before hand. We walked up around the time the Replacements started, about 6:00, and worked our way forward. It wasn't very hard at all. This coming Sunday I'll do the same. Too many good acts to pay $90 a ticket and see one band after sitting in the grass for 8 hours. Gotta broaden horizons and soak in as much as you can- I fully believe in seeing bands you would never pay to see otherwise. That's what makes it worthwhile to me.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    It wasn't hard to get withing 50 feet of the stage until 6:45. I'll probably check out some Spoon this weekend instead of posting up so early.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    Spoon's awesome dude they put on a pretty exciting show last weekend
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited October 2014
    We had our 1 yr old so we stayed way way back for every band but It was an amazing weekend. But yes during the Replacements set you could get really close like i did.

45 min into the Mats' set i backed up 100 feet so i could have a chance to make it back to my family before the surge for PJ started. Stayed way back for PJ
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    We set up a base camp near the front of the "chair zone" to the right of the sound board around 1230pm.
    People came and went all afternoon going to see all the different acts and a group of 12 of us convened for the replacements and PJ. it was so much fun to have that many friends together for a show-tough to pull that off at an arena. We had plenty of space and everyone around us was very cool. I can see the band up close at a typical PJ show. This was a party with PJ as the house band!