Options

98 tour and 2000 tour

Maybe the best Pearl Jam of all time! Ticket prices were affordable. In 2000 I was able to justify going to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Portland, Boise, and both Seattle show relatively cheap..The band was amazing every single night Phoenix it rained buckets. Vegas was tenth anniversary show. Portland was my hometown show. Boise the crowd stacked the chairs on the floor to make it a general admission floor show.. And Seattle one the crowd was lame for the chili peppers and pj. And Seattle II was epic 3 cd show..got the poster still from that night...Good Times...Peace and Love, HomeAir

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    98 tour was the best tour of their career IMO. Ten-Yield gave you a guaranteed amazing setlist every show
  • Options
    mcgavinjmcgavinj Idaho Falls, ID, USA Posts: 311
    I agree, but I'd throw 2003 tour into the mix too. I went to many of the same ones you did in 2000. Boise is my "hometown" show as I'm from Idaho although still a few hours drive from Boise. I did 2 shows in 98, 5 in 2000 and 10 in 2003. I was just mentioning to my friend whom I travel to the shows with how I missed those times. I'm still extremely thankful they're still at it. Wish I could do multiple shows like that again but marriage, family, job has gotten in the way of such adventures. I'll always have those times though. Keep on Rockin!
  • Options
    98 to me was the pinnacle. No official boots yet so i was getting different shows every week from all of the different traders. Fun times,
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    The Yield tour is still my favourite. I caught Missoula, Vancouver and Seattle II. It was an awesome vibe. PJ had struggled so much to get a real tour happening. '95 fell apart and '96 was pretty small. Yield was the first decent tour since Vs., and the first time a lot of people got a chance to see them live. It created really awesome atmosphere at all the shows.

2000 was pretty good too. The downside I felt was that the North America tour lived in the shadow of Roskilde, and I tihnk it took the band a while to bounce back from that.

Boise still one of my favorite PJ shows I've ever seen. I don't remember the chairs stacking thing though. I was 6th row on the floor and no one was stacking chairs around me. It was epic though. There were so few fan club members at that show that pretty much all members got great seats. The crowd was insanely energtic. My favourite of the 5 shows I saw in 2000 (Vancouver, Portland, Boise, Seattle x2) and probably #2 or #3 amongst all the PJ shows I've ever seen.

I have real soft spot for the Binaural tour. It's the only time I've actually followed the band around for more than two cities. Vancouver/Seattle is my usual thing, but that tour I talk a few friends into seeing more. Good times :)
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing PEEPS!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    The Yield tour was quite possibly the best ever. It was also the first time I caught more than 1 show on a tour (Montreal, Hartford, Mansfield 2). It was like refined rawness: The shows were aggressive but polished.

The Binaural tour will always be special to me because it was the first time I did an actual mini-tour (Saratoga through Camden 2, and then Montreal as a 1-off). Still, I can't help but wonder what the tour would have been like had Roskilde never happened. The tour was awesome though, no doubt.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    I gotta mention the 06 tour, I caught a bunch of shows that tour and was in love with self titled. I did my first ever show in 2000 and 2 in 03, all of them were great, but 06 was the tour for me. Honorable mention going up to Canada at Kitchner in 05 as well, that show was awesome.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Yield tour will NEVER be topped... IMO

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    1998-2003... Band in their live prime...your kidding yourself if you think otherwise..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    98 was my first... Keeps getting better every year IMO
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The 94-95 tour cycle beat both of these out IMO. Such devout anger and energy - focused and on fire!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    can't speak for 94,
    95 was good vintage angry PJ, always holds a place for me, but.....
    98 was when the band and especially Mike started looking more comfortable performing live.
    With the longer tour cycle they hit their stride and all the shows I saw were electric.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Ten - jr. high/high school
    Vs. Vitalogy - high school
    No Code, Yield, Binaural - college
    Riot Act - grad school
    ST, Backspacer - married, career
    Lightning Bolt - birth of daughter

Every tour has memories associated with it. I don't spend time thinking about high school - but the reason I love the 94-95 tour cycle might be that the emotion/energy output of the band intersected with a very intense emotional time in my life (not in a bad way necessarily). Its like certain smells remind you of a time/person, etc., etc., My continued attachment stays but without thinking about all of the memories I have about being a teenager. Its like attachment rooted in my person without being all reflective.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Ten - jr. high/high school
    Vs. Vitalogy - high school
    No Code, Yield, Binaural - college
    Riot Act - grad school
    ST, Backspacer - married, career
    Lightning Bolt - birth of daughter

Every tour has memories associated with it. I don't spend time thinking about high school - but the reason I love the 94-95 tour cycle might be that the emotion/energy output of the band intersected with a very intense emotional time in my life (not in a bad way necessarily). Its like certain smells remind you of a time/person, etc., etc., My continued attachment stays but without thinking about all of the memories I have about being a teenager. Its like attachment rooted in my person without being all reflective.

I agree....
    based on your "chart" we are about the same age so I def relate to this.
    for me music more than anything triggers memories.
    I just wish my mom would have let me go to see them on the VS. tour. :))
    I had friends who were at the Fox Theater show and I was sitting home listening(recording) to it on my shelf system stereo hoping not to lose the FM signal.
    I should have been thankful that my local station broadcast it, although the rumor is they had to shut down from paying all the FCC fines for Eddie's colorful language.
    Still have that unedited cassette tape somewhere under my bed.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Loving the love for Boise 00. What a vastly underrated show. 98 is the year I crave boots for the most and definitely these two tours were PJ's prime.

"We'll never not play Boise again." EV 2000
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 458
    I think the 1998 tour is so special because:
    1. The addition of the Yield material
    2. The posters
    3. Matt Cameron's best tour
    4. Expansive US tour
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209
    I didn't see the '98 tour either but I went to Vegas and San Bernardino in '00 and LOVED them both! Two great shows with great friends.
    grace and peace
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    I have a ticket stub from 2000….. $28.00
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    96 was my favourite actually, liked No Code more as a record, and the Toronto venue in 96 destroyed the 98 Barrie venue. Just personal experience here, I'm sure 98 had some awesome shows, and I know there's a lot of Yield fans out there.
    And getting real, probably the biggest reason, 96 was my first time. Hard to top that.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    saw them in maui in 98. that was special. only 3 or four thousand people.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    maple leaf gardens in 96 in toronto was something special as the band would play that classic hockey rink with great site lines no more. that place was built for fans . from the highest seat to the lowest ones you could see the rink for hockey just fine. i know i did it in one evening there.
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    I saw the band 6 times for the 1998 tour and 4 times for the 2000 tour. Each show was amazing. But the Yield tour the band seemed to be at the height of their game. Like Michael Jordan during the first Three-Peat or Lebron James right now. Just the best.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    98-03 was just so good.
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    '94-'98 will NEVER be topped. Every night was magic waiting to happen. Hope one day they release '98 boots & night 2 '96 Randall's Island on disc & vinyl!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    first time i saw them was 1996 but it wasn't until 1998 that i knew for absolute sure where they would position in my list
  • Options
    98 was a combination of things.

-first time that a lot of the country had a chance to see them in 4 or 5 years. The excitement because of that was amazing. You could feel it

-internet + tapetrading made following the tour really fun.

-best posters
    -best setlists IMO
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    The 98 tour was a million times better than the 2000 tour. There were some amazing shows in 98.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mcgruff10 said:

The 98 tour was a million times better than the 2000 tour. There were some amazing shows in 98.

This man speaks the truth...
    I only saw 2 shows on the '98 tour, both were...
    OUTDOORS...at Memorial Stadium...in SEATTLE,
    They are still among my BEST shows ever!!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170