Options

Wildfire Watch/ Drought Watch

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:
    Definitely! It blows my mind some of the sick things some people do.
    The other thing that drives me up the wall is people spreading rumors. There was a rumor going on around town today in Placerville that the fire was started by- get a load of this shit- Green Peace!! Unfuckingbelievable that people would believe this in the first place or that they would hear this and go around saying it like it was true before looking into it. I really hate it when people spread malicious gossip like this.

Some people, for whatever reason, suck that shit up - they thrive on it. And then spread it.

(tiny sidenote, but I read something today about Jack White railing against Rolling Stone, well Jann Wenner, and its gossipy turn. That that tactic is profitable chips away at the part of me that isn't cynical)

Anyway, I keep my good thoughts for those communities, for all in and around them.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Its almost impossible to fight that kind of fast moving fire. Those fireman need humidity. That's the best way to slow that thing down enough so those guys can get ahead of that thing.

Stay safe everyone.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722

Its almost impossible to fight that kind of fast moving fire. Those fireman need humidity. That's the best way to slow that thing down enough so those guys can get ahead of that thing.

Stay safe everyone.

We're getting a little help from the weather this evening- no rain but some clouds and increased humidity.

Those guys and ladies out there doing that super hard work are amazing folks. Total respect for them and what they do.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Dang! It's getting hard to breathe around here. In Placerville, we're at something like 5 times the unhealthy zone for air. Augh- taking up smoking again. Pine Longs, Fir Menthols.

Our fire fighter dudes and ladies are awesome and we now have folks from states far away out here helping. I went past the staging area for the fire fighting units and it blew my mind- I've never seen so much heavy equipment in one place and many, many more are in the field. And yet still only 10% containment.

What has me perplexed is looking at the CalFire site and other sites listing "no structures lost", yet I know for a fact that several houses have burned. They've been showing them and the owners (some who look familiar- probably customers) in tears talking about their lost homes. Our county fair grounds are housing large numbers of domestic animals. The air looks very foggy and today I thought there was some cloud mixed with smoke but, no it's 100% smoke. Still only 10% containment and they're saying weeks, maybe months before containment.

The cost of fighting this fire is $5 million PER DAY! All likely due to the arsonist in custody. :-(

Edit: sorry- suspected arsonist.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited September 2014
    You just need one day where the humidity climbs in the 80's combined with a slight wind shift and those guys should be able to get that fire from 10% to about 50% contained.

I really hope you get it soon. The longer those fireman are out there, the more dangerous it becomes. Fatigue combined with frustration is a bad recipe for disaster. Those wild land firefighters are some of the toughest dudes in the country.
  • Options

You just need one day where the humidity climbs in the 80's combined with a slight wind shift and those guys should be able to get that fire from 10% to about 50% contained.

I really hope you get it soon. The longer those fireman are out there, the more dangerous it becomes. Fatigue combined with frustration is a bad recipe for disaster. Those wild land firefighters are some of the toughest dudes in the country.

My respect for those guys and gals runs deep. Man, that's some tough work. If I recall correctly, you've don't fore work, right? Quite a calling, that's for sure. We are getting some increased moisture but also the threat of thunder and lightning and word has it they don't know which way it will go- rain/good, lightning/not-good. Cooler temps this today and this evening though has to at least helping these guys a bit. Big thumbs up to these good folks!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    brianlux said:

My respect for those guys and gals runs deep. Man, that's some tough work. If I recall correctly, YOU'VE DON'T FORE WORK, RIGHT? Quite a calling, that's for sure. We are getting some increased moisture but also the threat of thunder and lightning and word has it they don't know which way it will go- rain/good, lightning/not-good. Cooler temps this today and this evening though has to at least helping these guys a bit. Big thumbs up to these good folks!

I'm not sure what you are asking, but if you're asking if I'm a firefighter, yes. I'm the assistant chief at my volunteer fire department. I began volunteering September 12, 2002. I was to much of a sissy to enlist after 9/11 but I felt the need to help somehow.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

brianlux said:

My respect for those guys and gals runs deep. Man, that's some tough work. If I recall correctly, YOU'VE DON'T FORE WORK, RIGHT? Quite a calling, that's for sure. We are getting some increased moisture but also the threat of thunder and lightning and word has it they don't know which way it will go- rain/good, lightning/not-good. Cooler temps this today and this evening though has to at least helping these guys a bit. Big thumbs up to these good folks!

I'm not sure what you are asking, but if you're asking if I'm a firefighter, yes. I'm the assistant chief at my volunteer fire department. I began volunteering September 12, 2002. I was to much of a sissy to enlist after 9/11 but I felt the need to help somehow.
    Yes, I was pretty sure you had previously said something about being a firefighter or working with your fire department. Nobody who helps fight fires or assists their fire department is a sissy. Good job, man!

• Options
    You guys just can't catch a break in California. First, you can't get any rain. Now you guys are dodging mudslides. Whatever happened to the afternoon thunderstorm?
  • Options
    It's like it's all or none here! Fortunately where we are isn't prone to flooding or slides, but so many have had to evacuate.

Just took this - the thing that looks like a flying dragon is the fucker of a cell that seems to be making a retreat.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hedo,My assistant is from Cali.Born and raised so I hear about how Cali is the greatest ,but It still freaks me out how you guys react to a little rain.Shit we call that an afternoon thunderstorm.lol
    Anyhow stay safe.
  • Options
    I learned about afternoon thunderstorms when we went to Columbus to visit his family.

Holy shit! LA would come to a standstill :D
  • Options
    Crazy how hard that storm hit SO. CAL. The rain's just been a weak piss for a couple of days up here in the foothills between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Glad to have gotten some rain but we sure need more!

Stay safe down there, H.!

• Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4DL4oPlmfLk

When we see a rain shower in south Florida you Los Angeles Cali folk see this.lol
  • Options
    In an unrelated bit of LA pop culture.I was watching E.T (movie) last night as I always like to take a trip back since those kids were our generation and I forever associate my ideal view of the 80s suburbs with that area they were riding bikes/living in during the movie.I looked it up and it is the Porter Ranch area.Is it a nice area still today?Is it still the same?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4DL4oPlmfLk

When we see a rain shower in south Florida you Los Angeles Cali folk see this.lol

Run for your LIIIIIIIIIIIIVES! Hahaha! Cracked me up, rr!!

• Options
    Then mission accomplished Bri !
  • Options
    Just beautiful here today! I think we're done with the "storm" for now.

rr, I don't think I've ever been there, but I know exactly what you mean...I'd probably put the neighborhood of Poltergeist in there too.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

rr, I don't think I've ever been there, but I know exactly what you mean...I'd probably put the neighborhood of Poltergeist in there too.

Yes,yes,yes we are on the same wavelength exactly.Do you remember the name of the housing development in poltergeist?
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Yes,yes,yes we are on the same wavelength exactly.Do you remember the name of the housing development in poltergeist?
    I looked it up - Simi Valley (another area I haven't visited!). Similar suburbia there and I believe an area with many police officers within the population.

Places like that make me want to be a kid again (well, maybe just for an hour or three :D)
  • Options
    Is 4" of rain in San Francisco really a lot? I read they're shutting schools down. I've never been to SF, is it close to sea level?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Is 4" of rain in San Francisco really a lot? I read they're shutting schools down. I've never been to SF, is it close to sea level?

Those crazy west coasters.
    SF is up on a bunch of hills,but some areas like The Marina district and by fisherman wharf are lower I guess.I would think areas north of the Golden Gate like Sausalito with their house boat villages may be prone to flooding.If memory serves its quite boggy/marshy on that side of the bay.But that is more tidal based then rain based.I think mudslides and local storm runoff is more an issue.We on the east coast have a much shallower water table(I think).So I don't know why they freak
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Heavy rain caused chaos when I lived in San Diego. A combo of no one knowing how to drive in rain mixed with a bunch of oil buildup on the roads due to no rain for long periods of time.

When I moved down there, the first day a monsoon hit ... it didn't rain again for what seemed like 7 months.
  • Options
    Same here on that combo, Jason. What's been hitting SF is heading down our way today. Should be fun!

And I have a feeling there'll be much damage in terms of mud and rock slides to come.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

SF is up on a bunch of hills,but some areas like The Marina district and by fisherman wharf are lower I guess.I would think areas north of the Golden Gate like Sausalito with their house boat villages may be prone to flooding.If memory serves its quite boggy/marshy on that side of the bay.But that is more tidal based then rain based.I think mudslides and local storm runoff is more an issue.We on the east coast have a much shallower water table(I think).So I don't know why they freak
    rr, I grew up 30 minutes south of S.F. and lived there from '69 to 73 so I know that its not "Why do they freak?" it's "Why are they freaks?" and the answer is, "Because we are gr-o-o-o-o-vy."

What's all this I hear about rain? I currently live about 3 hours inland from S.F. and not a drop. The tension of storm trying to come in kept me awake almost all night. We need this. Bring it on!

• Options
    Nothing near you, Brian? Earlier the news reported that Sacramento got seven inches just this morning alone (that's what she said :bz ).
  • Options
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

rr, I grew up 30 minutes south of S.F. and lived there from '69 to 73 so I know that its not "Why do they freak?" it's "Why are they freaks?" and the answer is, "Because we are gr-o-o-o-o-vy."

What's all this I hear about rain? I currently live about 3 hours inland from S.F. and not a drop. The tension of storm trying to come in kept me awake almost all night. We need this. Bring it on!

Good freaky though.We love visiting SF.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Nothing near you, Brian? Earlier the news reported that Sacramento got seven inches just this morning alone (that's what she said :bz ).

Crazy! No, not a drop. Just clouds and wind... and we're only 45 minutes east of Sacto. Strange Days!

And now flickering power. Better shut this baby down. Have a good one, all.

• Options
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Crazy! No, not a drop. Just clouds and wind... and we're only 45 minutes east of Sacto. Strange Days!

And now flickering power. Better shut this baby down. Have a good one, all.

The news is making it sound pretty bad up your way ("LA, brace yourselves!"). If it's more than their melodrama, I hope you have all the fixins in place! Keep safe.

The air here has a cold, rare and oddly nice zing to it. First time I've turned on the heat in months.

Kind of looking forward to this supposed weatherbear.
  • Options
    "weatherbear"? is that like a soggy teddy bear? haha!

It took a while to get here but now were at 12 hours of steady rain. Just saw the news and the rain is supposed to ramp up a little more even for a while and continue into the AM. Fortunately, we have good drainage here.