Options

The Leftovers- HBO

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I'm mind blown after this weeks episode.So is the daughter joining GR? Did chief Shtoop the daughters friend?(she's sexy so this is def understandable).Will Nora come after Jill?
    Damn man it's glorious and dark.I love this show
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    I don't frequent AET forum much but I am glad to see a thread about this show. I too am oddly drawn to this show. There seems to be a feel of absence or vacancy in all the characters that a viewer either likes or despises. The characters seem to be just existing and not living. The many layers of storytelling and the credit the creators give the viewer for being engaged puts it in the same league as True Detective, Breaking Bad etc.
    I work in the TV business (comedy thankfully) and almost everyone I know hates this show.
    "Too precious" "Too slow..nothing happens" shit like that.
    Very happy it got a second season but expect it to only last 2-3 seasons. Enjoy it while we can.
    Plus the twin brothers are a hoot.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    how the hell did the chief get to the woods with the dog killer?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

During one of his blackouts. I'm still not 100% sold that the dog killer isnt an alternate personality of the chief, all in his head, even though other characters have interacted with him.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I

During one of his blackouts. I'm still not 100% sold that the dog killer isnt an alternate personality of the chief, all in his head, even though other characters have interacted with him.
    I thought it was interesting that the dog killer appeared to speak to a voice, "i tried" or something along the same lines, as he left the cabin. In the same way as the grandfather.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    Just caught up on last week's episode. This show is fucking sweet.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Man, this show is fucking wild.

Memorial Day looks like it's going to be a mess.

i agree...lets see howe it goes
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    i love this show. finally caught up yesterday...only 2 left.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    I can't wait to see how ppl react when they see all the bodies, should be good
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Another good one last night. It was cool to see everyone before the departure. The Garvey's were a huge mess before all this went down. Can't wait for the finale...kinda sucks we have to wait 2 weeks for it because of labor day.
  • Options
    Thaw was fuck wow episode.....
    was LOST -ish style episode...
    cant wait to see what will happen...

the last scene was epic.....man the feeling would be unreal if this happened to anyone
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    The "It's a Girl" balloon stuck to the deer antlers was cool.
    Tho I'm not sure why Matt would be at the same Doctors office for a Cancer checkup that Laurie would be at for a possible pregnancy testing.....
  • Options
    I gotta say - that episode is up there with some of the best.

On a semi-related note - there's this folk fest in Philly (Philly Foik Fest) and everyone camps out and does weird shit at night in the campground. Welp, me and a buddy are doing our 2 AM walk-around to take in the weirdness. We go by one campsight and there's candlelight set, one guy's playing this song on a baby grand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WKT7SvNGnI and two dudes are dressed up in GR garb smoking cigarettes and completely not breaking character. It. Was Awesome.

What made it better was 95% of the people going by had no idea what the hell they were doing.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I gotta say - that episode is up there with some of the best.

On a semi-related note - there's this folk fest in Philly (Philly Foik Fest) and everyone camps out and does weird shit at night in the campground. Welp, me and a buddy are doing our 2 AM walk-around to take in the weirdness. We go by one campsight and there's candlelight set, one guy's playing this song on a baby grand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WKT7SvNGnI and two dudes are dressed up in GR garb smoking cigarettes and completely not breaking character. It. Was Awesome.

What made it better was 95% of the people going by had no idea what the hell they were doing.

I don't spook easy but that would probably creep me out a little.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Not sure what just happened when I quoted that...
  • Options
    Oh, it was definitely creepy. But just like the show I couldn't look away. It was just awesome.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    I had a chance to be an extra on this show. But I was working
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    episode was cool, a little disappointed it was all in the past though. I wonder who the people in the car were, probably looking for his dad?
    And gotta say having a woman disappear while in the middle of it, gotta be weird.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    there's only one more episode right? i liked this past week's (just saw it yesterday)....but i feel like they could have done more than just a whole flashback episode with only one more after it, as nicely done as it was.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Shit, no episode tonight. So, next week is Boardwalk and then The Leftovers?
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Every episode has me thinking wtf? Yet i still tune in. Its like a crossover between the Rapture and Lost.
  • Options

Yep. Boardwalk premiere and then Leftovers finale. Should be a good night.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Yep. Boardwalk premiere and then Leftovers finale. Should be a good night.
    And a Sunday night football game after a weekend of games,damn I love the fall .
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Page 3 and no comments on that awesome season finale?

shocking.

this episode was strong !
    Loved the dream sequence with dad in the mental ward
    and patti appears again.

what is the significance of the dogs in this show ,
    and in particular, the ferocious barking dog out back?
    He seemed to have calmed down after this episode. :\

So very glad HBO picked it up for another season.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options

Page 3 and no comments on that awesome season finale?

shocking.

this episode was strong !
    Loved the dream sequence with dad in the mental ward
    and patti appears again.

what is the significance of the dogs in this show ,
    and in particular, the ferocious barking dog out back?
    He seemed to have calmed down after this episode. :\

So very glad HBO picked it up for another season.

I think a lot of people probably recorded it so they could watch football. I watched it this morning. Kevin has some issues. Solid episode.
  • Options
    Watched it late last night.

Really good episode. I'm just hoping this story sticks to concentrating on how the people cope with the after-affects of the event and doesn't turn into some goddamn supernatural endless drivel.

But, so far so good. I guess we'll have to wait until next June?
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    I found the season finale to be satisfying.
    Below is a review of the season from Variety:

If Damon Lindelof had any doubts about his ability to create another memorable TV show after “Lost,” let the outstanding first season of “The Leftovers,” which just concluded Sunday on HBO, speak for itself.

You couldn’t blame Lindelof if he second-guessed his abilities. For all the acclaim “Lost” drew since becoming a hit on ABC a decade ago, there was also a considerable backlash that battered him and Carlton Cuse after a finale oft criticized for not adequately tying up the show’s many mysteries.

Maybe that’s why at first blush “Leftovers” feels worlds away from “Lost,” which was inhabited by aircrash survivors fighting elements both natural and supernatural on a deserted island. Setting “Leftovers” in the New York suburbs is a way of stepping away from any easy comparison to “Lost” for Lindelof and fellow executive producer, Tom Perotta, who wrote the novel that inspired the show.

Liken “Leftovers” to “Lost” at least as much to say both are about as strong as shows get in their first season. Were that only where the comparison really ended, however.

As much as “Leftovers” distinguishes itself, don’t be surprised if by the end of its first 10 episodes the realization sets in that while the show may seem to have little in common with “Lost” on the surface, they’re actually very similar shows in some key ways. And that’s frightening to any “Leftovers” fan who doesn’t want to see another Lindelof production careen off the tracks.

For those left disappointed by “Lost,” that might seem unfair considering “Leftovers,” which was renewed for a second season, is years away from its own ending. But let’s be honest about “Lost”: Brilliant as it was those first few seasons, it wasn’t like Lindelof/Cuse had a perfect game going into the ninth inning before tragically blowing it on the very last out. Their fastball was already losing its zip midway through the run of “Lost,” and they were getting shelled far before that final awful inning they called a finale.

Please, Damon, whatever went wrong with “Lost”…don’t let it happen to “Leftovers.”

HBO hasn’t gotten the kind of buzzed-about breakthrough ABC enjoyed, which is a shame. But the reason why is simple: setting a show in the aftermath of a mysterious Rapture-like disappearance of 2% of the world population makes for incredibly bleak storytelling. “Leftovers” simply doesn’t aspire to be the kind of big-tent entertainment “Lost” was.

But those who braved the darkness were treated to something Lindelof only showed shades of on “Lost”: incredible depth. “Leftovers'” wallop of a premise could easily have been reduced to a simple existential whodunit following its protagonists as they race to unravel the mystery of the Rapture.

Instead Lindelof sets up viewers for a keenly observed meditation on the human condition that asks big questions about grief and morality. True to a story that has yet to make clear what is real and what is fantasy to its bewildered protagonist, police chief Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux), each episode plays like a fever dream.

“Leftovers” also takes some pretty ballsy creative chances along the way. Several episodes in the first season have the temerity to push the central cast aside to focus entirely on marginal characters, a narrative device it typically takes many years for shows to dare attempt. Not only did “Leftovers” do it with Reverend Jamison (Christopher Eccleston) and Nora Durst (Carrie Coon), they’re actually the better episodes.

Maybe that’s to be expected to a show that seems to draw its strength more from the actors at the edges of its story than at its center. It’s not that Theroux isn’t solid as the troubled cop who can barely keep it together himself even as he tries to keep his town together. But the performances that pop are supporting players like Ann Dowd, whose impact as the leader of the Guilty Remnant cult is all the remarkable considering most of her performance is silent (members of that cult don’t talk; could an entirely mute episode be in our future?).

“Lost” was like that, too. Matthew Fox anchored that show in a way never really appreciated by critics who were more wowed by no-name character actors including Michael Emerson and Yunjin Kim. The pleasure of both shows’ sprawling casts comes from never knowing who would shine brightest on a given week because the talent is spread so evenly.

That’s the thing about “Leftovers” though; when you take apart the narrative machinery and ask yourself how it works so well, you start to confront similarities to “Lost.”

Perhaps what the shows share most is a penchant for issuing a steady stream of tantalizingly bizarre clues to unraveling their mysteries, so much so that the ratio of questions to answers can come dangerously close to crossing that fine line between the ability to intrigue and to frustrate. “Lost” gave us everything from the polar bear in the jungle to the three-toed statue. Not to be outdone, “Leftovers” offers plenty of its own odd images, from a crazed deer to a flying manhole cover.

Make no mistake: “Lost” collapsed under the weight of a mythology so intricately built that it simply imploded. If “Leftovers” isn’t careful, the same fate could await it.

In addition, “Lost” was big on mining drama from splitting up its cast into warring factions like the “Tailies” and the Others. It’s a dynamic that comes to mind when the “Leftovers” pits the town of Mapleton against the Guilty Remnant. But as “Lost” taught us, what makes for great conflict for a few seasons stars to unravel after one too many splinter groups, betrayals of loyalty and double agents. Don’t get trapped there, “Leftovers.”

The shows also share a basic thematic framework: a calamity of unknown supernatural origins sends the characters down a road paved by their own sins toward a parallel universe that forces them to confront their frailties while offering a shot at redemption.

No wonder that still resonates with Lindelof, a hero who made his own mistakes on “Lost” but now has the chance to make things right with “Leftovers.” Let’s hope he does just that in the coming seasons.
  • Options

Watched it late last night.

Really good episode. I'm just hoping this story sticks to concentrating on how the people cope with the after-affects of the event and doesn't turn into some goddamn supernatural endless drivel.

But, so far so good. I guess we'll have to wait until next June?

Watched it late last night too...I really gotta stop watching this show right before bed...I've been having some really fucked up dreams.

Loved this first season...has definitely become one of my favorite shows. And definitely agree with you that the focus remains on how this society deals with what happened and not the why/how of what happened.

I'd imagine it will be back sometime next summer...so far away.
  • Options
    Great stuff...so its still up in the air if Wayne did have any "special" powers.
    Turns out he couldnt help Nora in the end, as she slips back into a state of despair, but it seems that the wish Kevin made could possibly come true..assuming it was to be back again with the people he loved.

The dogs are really just a symbol of the "event" that took place. They went crazy, along with many humans. Of course they are also apart of the dog killer story line, and what exactly is happening with him and the things Kevin is doing while he is sleep walking.
  • Options
    Just saw last night episode .,wow
    this the best show on tv at the moment