Options

Given to Live - what a wonderful charity idea.....

pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
edited August 2014 in The Porch
http://www.giventolive.com/

I met Tom some years ago now on these very boards and over the years we have kept in touch and formed a great friendship[ .

I was always deeply touched by his own personal journey, one that had seen him battle various demons, and despite reaching rock bottom he stared adversity in the face and with the help and support of kind people and through his own hard work and dedication now stands as the founder of a wonderful new charity. A charity that aims to be the springboard, that little ray of light, and provider of generosity for others who find themselves in that same position, one that feels hopeless and devastating.

Toms vision is to reach out to make dreams become a reality for as many people as he can, people whom without his help will never have the chance to experience what many of us take for advantage.....Live music. Live music is a luxury that is out of the reach of a great many people.

Whilst seeing a show may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a person who perhaps lives on the streets, why should those less fortunate folk not get to see the band they once loved but will likely never be able to see again.

The charity was set up with the sole aim of helping people ( there is no set criteria either) whom are down on their luck, to get a dream trip somewhere to see their heroes perform. Through public donations, and fund raising, and the support of corporate partners, Tom is firmly on his way to making this not just a pipe dream but reality. His website whilst not entirely finished at this stage is well under way and there is a facebook community that is operating, I really just want to help him spread the word and garner support for him in this wonderful endeavour.

Those on facebook can find it here: -

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Given-To-Live/814123041937589 (please like and share )

and those who are not please bookmark this site which will be operational shortly......

www.giventolive.org

If anyone knows anyone who would like to apply as a suitable candidate for a trip they can contact Tom initially via the facebook page. As above there is no set criteria, merely people who are perhaps suddenly out of work, homeless, recovering addicts, those in a shelter after suffering abuse, those with a disability........the list is endless, the sole aim is to give people who would otherwise not have a hope in getting to a show - do just that and have the experience of a lifetime. The charity will pay for flights, hotels, transport, and concert tickets......

A little Background as to how the idea came about

As I already said, I'm immensely proud of the founder, he has been to the very bottom, he has lived rough, he has battled addictions etc. But to meet him now, he's one of the success stories, one of those who knows that there is another path out of that life. He's an inspiration, even more genuine and authentic having lived through some of the toughest situations. He knows what it is like, and he wants to make a difference and help others emerge too.

His idea came about when he witnessed some wonderful generosity amongst the pearl jam community when taking in some lightning bolt USA dates In October. After a young lady was robbed of precious belongings and her travel documents, a group of people dug deep to brighten up her day and ensure her concert was not ruined. My friend took great pride in watching on as people gave what they could to turn that day around, and whilst collecting his thoughts that day - Given to Fly was born.

Tom will be in Leeds tomorrow, so if anyone wanted to learn more, or just chat to him about his vision and passion, then look for the guy in the Given to Live shirt.
Post edited by pdalowsky on

Comments

• Options
    bmulvanybmulvany Posts: 156
    Great post

I only met Tom quite recently at some of the US tour dates last year. You couldn't meet a nicer and genuine guy and this really is a great charity that I'm sure Tom can make work. I have been lucky enough in life to see PJ several other times as well as many other bands around the world. It would be great for people less well off for whatever reason can also experience that same feeling we all get when seeing PJ live.

Hopefully many of ye on here will take a look at the Facebook page (like and share it also) and any of you who are in Leeds tomorrow do go an say hello to Tom.

Tom, looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow for yet another PJ show

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    Great idea

Good luck!
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    While I have never met Tom, I can relate to his story & his cause. In a world where dog eat dog seems to be the norm rather than the exception, I truly believe a cause like this deserves our support!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Thank you,Paul, for such generosity and kind words.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    Please people help Tom on his mission. He is doing a lot of great and hard work. He has my full support without question.
    One hand will wash the other!
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    This dude is awesome...seriously!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited July 2014
    Bump for Tom! Nicest, kindest person with the most positive attitude and ever willing to help especially when someone is in need. Met Tom through Paul, and met Paul on here (maybe something to do with merch whoriness? :)) :)) ) It's connections like these that makes the PJ fandom complete and some of you a-holes more tolerable ;)
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    This is a fantastic idea, please let us know when website goes live...for those of us that don't have Facebook.
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Bump for Tom! Nicest, kindest person with the most positive attitude and ever willing to help especially when someone is in need. Met Tom through Paul, and met Paul on here (maybe something to do with merch whoriness? :)) :)) ) It's connections like these that makes the PJ fandom complete and some of you a-holes more tolerable ;)

hahahaha
  • Options
    Thank you all again for your kind comments.

A couple of things that are going on for us at the moment-

We've signed off on a trip to the Proms In The Park in London for DT (currently confidentiality stands). DT has a chronic pulmonary condition and at 69 is in a wheelchair and uses oxygen. The funding has been released for DT and a carer to attend and all ticket and transport costs are covered. DT lives in a care home and is essentially housebound without a carer.

Also, we have started talking with local homeless organisations, both adult and young people, to see if there's a way we can create job opportunities and work experience. As someone who has been homeless and spent time sleeping rough I know the issues that need to be faced and how often it just takes someone having a little faith.

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

• Options
    Anyone looking for cool euro 2014 merch keep an eye on the facebook groups......Tom is set to run a few silent auctions for various items including the pop up posters from Amsterdam.

Im sure he will confirm when they go live....
  • Options
    Thanks, Paul.

The poster from the Amsterdam pop up shop will be up tomorrow.
    Given To Live -

• Options
    whoooo hooo the new website is live
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you, Paul.

Indeed, the new site is up-

www.giventolive.com
    Given To Live -

• Options
    LIVINLIVIN Posts: 20
    Just learned about this organization. Incredible. What a wonderful vision. Hoping to see similar companies emerge in the US.
  • Options
    LIVIN said:

Just learned about this organization. Incredible. What a wonderful vision. Hoping to see similar companies emerge in the US.

Given to live are taking their concept across the Atlantic to take a youngster to the Philly show......