Options

Stone, play Hail Hail like you did back in 96:)

mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
just watching Letterman show....which I recorded back in the day on vhs and watched a 1000x...what happened to the big strumming and the small slide in the beginning and the big slide after the bridge...i really loved it
96 - Ft Lauderdale
98 - ATL; WPB I & II
00 - WPB I & II
03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
04 - Boston VFC I & II
05 - Borgata II
08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
10 - CLE
12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
14 - Memphis
16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II

Comments

• Options
    GeoScottGeoScott South Carolina Posts: 151
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 581
    mcrok said:

just watching Letterman show....which I recorded back in the day on vhs and watched a 1000x...what happened to the big strumming and the small slide in the beginning and the big slide after the bridge...i really loved it

Not sure, but I love that version of the song
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    speaking of that letterman hail hail...what a difference in drumming...dont get me wrong, i loved jack irons style...but the rest of the band was so much more over powering back then (for better or worse)...matt definitely provides a heartbeat now and blends right in
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    That Letterman performance was great. I remember watching that the night before we drove up & went to the show in Toronto.

What a great show that was!!!
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    jason_94 said:

That Letterman performance was great. I remember watching that the night before we drove up & went to the show in Toronto.

What a great show that was!!!

Yes! Great memory. First PJ show, still up there with my faves.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    jasonrolfejasonrolfe Posts: 474
    just rewatched the Letterman performance. It was awesome.
    Loved the pic slides from Stone!
    2005: Kitchener / London / Hamilton | 2006: Toronto 1&2 | 2010: Hartford | 2011: Toronto 1&2 / Hamilton
    2013: London, Brooklyn 1&2 | 2014: Detroit | 2015: New York | 2016: Ottawa / Toronto 1 / Wrigley 1
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I love watchin Stone in these early years - sometimes doesn't even look like his legs are attached lol he's got some moves - like the feet crossing behind him when he turns - oh and the jumping jacks and jumping on one foot other leg out and skipping/galloping across the stage.... 8->
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mcrok said:

speaking of that letterman hail hail...what a difference in drumming...dont get me wrong, i loved jack irons style...but the rest of the band was so much more over powering back then (for better or worse)...matt definitely provides a heartbeat now and blends right in

I couldn't disagree more. Jack was my favorite. It's no coincidence that Jack was at the helm for pearl jam best three albums.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

mcrok said:

I couldn't disagree more. Jack was my favorite. It's no coincidence that Jack was at the helm for pearl jam best three albums.
    he was on 2 albums.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    FoxyRedLa said:

I love watchin Stone in these early years - sometimes doesn't even look like his legs are attached lol he's got some moves - like the feet crossing behind him when he turns - oh and the jumping jacks and jumping on one foot other leg out and skipping/galloping across the stage.... 8->

Ahh, the duckwalk.

For me, he was never more endearing than the intro to In Hiding on SVT.

And by the way, 1996 is what, going on 19 years? Way to put pressure on the poor guy, OP.

Stone, pay no mind to anyone and come as you are. You go, girl!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    So chunky those riffs!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

mcrok said:

he was on 2 albums.
    He recorded on Vitalogy also.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    Jack was just on foxymop on vitalogy, no?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559

Smellyman said:

mcrok said:

he was on 2 albums.
    Yes, because we all know that without Stupid Mop Vitalogy would have been a flop.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mcrok said:

I am 1000% with you on this.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

Smellyman said:

mcrok said:

he was on 2 albums.
    Yes, because we all know that without Stupid Mop Vitalogy would have been a flop.
    That's not really the point. The point is that Jack irons was the drummer on the 3 best albums pearl jam released.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I concur. Vitalogy, No Code and Yield - it's like a trilogy.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

I concur. Vitalogy, No Code and Yield - it's like a trilogy.

Bingo!
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I'd say they just blew the roof off the joint!
  • Options
    Stone totally fucks up coming out of the break in the middle. Can't figure out how to play the chorus. After the song he shows everyone his fuck up. I love Stone. My favorite by far.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304

Smellyman said:

mcrok said:

he was on 2 albums.
    That's not really the point. The point is that Jack irons was the drummer on the 3 best albums pearl jam released.
    Jack has less to do with Vitalogy being good than their drum tech
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    you are right, that big slide after the bridge is awesome
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Jack was the drummer on the Vitalogy tour, not on the record itself (apart from stupid mop, as already said).. Someone here needs to learn a little more PJ history.
  • Options

Smellyman said:

mcrok said:

he was on 2 albums.
    Or you could say he was the drummer on the worst song on Vitalogy.

Just messing around.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    My fav period in PJ history !!!!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive...i posted this back in July...u all are the best:) Don't take such offense to my Jack comments...I loved him and he definitely brought a special groove and spirituality to the band...but I'm just saying on hail, hail it looks like he has a harder time keeping up and the band sounds a little out of balance...imo
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    never mind hail hail.. stone needs to go back to playing brain of j like he used to, particularity the verse parts
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150

Smellyman said:

mcrok said:

he was on 2 albums.
    Or you could say he was the drummer on the worst song on Vitalogy.

Just messing around.
    Foxy Mop isn't a song IMO. Its the only PJ 'song' I don't like and don't listen to.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Listening to the performance of Hail, Hail from '96 compared to a performance of it from 2014 is a totally different experience. I believe their performance of songs evolves over time and the original version's tempo, style, etc. is often lost.

This is why I need to see the band at least one concert during a tour supporting any new album they release. Their performance of that album's songs won't ever be any rawer or more original to form at any other point in time.

There is nothing better than listening to them perform songs live during the tour supporting a new album. Vitalogy songs performed in '94 & '95, No Code songs in '96, Yield songs in '98 and Binaural songs in '00. Just go back and listen to some bootlegs from those tours and compare the performances to now. Quite a difference. Like they say, something can only be original once.

- Uncle Snuffy
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011