Options

Rob Zombie Says Grunge Killed Rock In The U.S.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    There's always been great music. There's great music all around today. It's just now what's on the radio.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

RiotAct10 said:

text

am i hallucinating... @-)
    No, Ed and Rob hung out quite a bit together with Johnny Ramone when Johnny was ill as I recall.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So RZ is an authority on rock music... That's funny right there. Dude, just stick to your crapping Goth Rock and Oscar winning movie directing... :-q
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Rob just jealous that nobody cares about his music. On the heals of Nirvana getting into the hall of fame, and as Pearl Jam gets inducted pretty soon Mr. Zombie will be making another shitty rehashed horror movie.........................because nobody cares about his music.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    It's an interesting take on the issue no doubt, and does deserve thought and discussion. I do disagree though. It's misguided blame...

The issue is the overall media and culture of the USA and also the way music is marketed and delivered. Technology too makes it possible for anyone with a computer to manufacture a hit "song" without knowing how to play an instrument or even sing.

I also don't blame it on "rap guys" seeing rock get lackluster and decide to carry the torch. By all accounts, rap is in a sorry state too music wise.

Right around 2000 was where rock dropped far off the mainstream and we had plenty of mainstream rock acts who weren't grunge. Metallica, limp biscuit, blink 182, etc were popular but really couldn't maintain the staying power up top of "trl" like those boy bands or brittany.

Now it doesn't seem like there is good delivery to the masses of rock. No more mtv, good rock radio stations still seem to be majority 90s driven. There is good stuff but unless it's black keys and foo fighters, you have to go out of your way to find it. It was great when all of youth were exposed to mtv, as much as I loathe it now.

Did rob zombie really want to see Eddie vedder or cornell guest hosting trl with Carson daly to stay "relevant"?

The untimely and too early tragedies that killed nirvana, sublime, aic, blind melon, etc didn't help either.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited June 2014
    I think he has a point. I think a lot of current(post grunge til now)rockers really lack any personality or individuality and I think that's an effect of what a lot of the 90s bands stood for from a media standpoint, but it's been horribly misconstrued by current artists. A lot of bands look at 90s bands and skim the surface of what makes them cool. It's like what a lot of 80 bands did with Zeppelin. They didn't look at it and appreciate the depth of what was truly there and instead pulled out of the simplest most digestible aspects and tried to run with it. Then bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and Tool came along and had a much deeper connection to the music and what shaped their images and smashed that 80s garbage into the dirt.

Look at the people that truly have a presence in the rock world.....guys like Bono or Dave Grohl or Jack White...those guys demand attention, even though there may be more currently successful artists. Rock music "needs" more of that, especially in this day and age.

The fact that there are fewer vehicles for rock music to be heard by mainstream audiences can't be underestimated, but we also cant lean on that as the whole excuse. People just aren't as interested and there is much less personality.

Another thing...I don't think Appetite for Destruction was the "smashing down the barriers" album that something like Nevermind was, but I think it's effect on the outbreak of new exciting rock in the late 80/early 90s has been criminal overlooked. That shit was as real as it gets and miles away from the cookie cutter formulaic big hair/bigger guitars crap that was popular.

Good to see PJ fans show so much class and attacking a pretty talented individual for having an opinion.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Boston George and pablo escobar killed rock in the early 80's

It just wasn't the right drug

"grunge" found a good combo to tap into the depths that had not been visited since the late 70's

Unfortunately, part of that combo came with grave consequences for some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited June 2014
    He can have an opinion and IMO his opinion is wrong. He can call me whatever he wants I can take it

The only thing killing rock is drugs, ego, and hairspray
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    Cornell said pretty much the same thing on wtf.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    then I don't agree with CC either
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    why do I suspect that if there were hugely successful and popular rock bands today Rob Zombie and his like would be complaining that they are too commercial and corporate rock.

one could make the argument that the record companies themselves killed rock music (even though I don't think it's true that it's dead).
  • Options
    Rob Zombie's goth image was as corporate whoring as you get, they call them gimmicks, and he was a gimmick. Gimmicks are used to create a pop fad to sell shit, so if anyone was corporate/ commercial is was his gimmick fake blood wearing ass.
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 309
    Funny, because he lives in my hometown and I drive by his house once a day at least with usually PJ blasting out of the windows.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    hrd2imgn said:

Rob Zombie's goth image was as corporate whoring as you get, they call them gimmicks, and he was a gimmick. Gimmicks are used to create a pop fad to sell shit, so if anyone was corporate/ commercial is was his gimmick fake blood wearing ass.

That really has nothing to do with the points he's making.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    rr165892 said:

JV,
    You couldn't be more off base.Turn on Octane on Sirius/Xm radio,Get yourself to One of the Monster Energy sponsored Festivals and you will see there is still some insanely good new hard rock being pumped out.Bands that if you see live will blow your mind.Bands like the following...
    Stone Sour
    Shinedown
    Black Stone Cherry(even heard them referred to as Kentucky Garage Grunge)
    We as Human
    Virgin Mary's
    Artic Monkeys
    Pop Evil
    In This Moment
    bullet off my Valentine
    Just to name a few off the top of my head.Plus bands like Sabbath,Papa Roach,Soungarden,QOTSA,Chevelle,Slash,Alterbridge,Deftones,Sevendust,are all putting out great new music.Whats dying is Standard rock Radio to fuel it.W/Xm and Pandora and the like its now different.Not bad but Different.
    Getting back to a Raw sound Of Multi track recording concepts and leaving the new digital enhancements out still gives some new music a classic feel(Think Foo Fighters last album)Ask yourself this ,did the raw nature of how PJ Ten sounded cranked up,sound better then Backspacer and LB loud? He'll Yes ! There is an overproduced Quality to some of the new stuff that is easy to spot(Thanks B.O'Brien) that old stuff that producers like Butch Vig or new retro recording that Grohl is using like on the Sound City stuff that don't even compare.

I listen to Octane...and to be honest, it's not even in the same ball park as Lithium. Not even remotely close. I'll give you Stone Sour...they are decent, but none of that is at the level of Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Foo, etc. That stuff on Octane is decent...but it's far, far, far, far from the level Rock once was.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Grunge was just a label the record companies used and manipulated to sell a scene where most bands were just hard rock. Alice in chains , soundgarden , screaming trees and pearl jam have a legacy and influence still today, while the glam rock bands faded away. Whatever the band whether poison or even extreme they still have a fan base and music means something still to there fans. Musics music whether TInariwen from the Sahara or burning spear from Jamaica it's a division that doesn't need to be there. Grunge didn't kill rock because it never existed , it's just an illusion created by corporations.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I would also like to note that I think things like protools hurt people that really can sing as well. Most of my favorite bands have great singers with a great/fantasic set of pipes, yet that all sound different. One of the things I found that I don't like with modern rock music is the lack of vocals as the driving instrument. They seem to get muddled in the mix and I think thats one of the reasons I don't dig modern rock all that much. Someone mentioned all the cool hard rock music on Octane. When I play that station they all sound the same too me....

I don't think the Seattle Era killed rock, but I do think it was the last great era for Rock.

There was great non-glam music in the 80s. Metallica kicked ass right up to Black alum in the 90s. Gun's roses exploded with Appetite and the Lies ep was this cool half live/half acoustic album. U2 put out their best two albums at the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s. Tom Petty had a resurgence at the turn of that decade. Rock music was still going strong when the Seattle bands got big. Great era for Rock....

Unless rock experiences a resurgence, I do fear that when I'm an old man, rock music will be old peoples music... lol
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    PJ_Soul said:

There is a shit load of bad music out there and shit load of amazing music out there..... seems to me that's how it's always been. No probs there. The only thing to be concerned about is what someone else mentioned: the incredible numbers of people who are uninspired enough to be into the bad music and not bothered enough to even be able to find out what amazing music they are missing just because it's not all over the radio and TV.

What Rob Zombie said is just dumb. Why would anyone mourn what was lost from the rock scene in the late 80s? That shit pretty much ruined itself. No reason to blame the grunge era. I think rock is in better shape now than it was right before PJ and Nirvana, AIC, SG, etc came along, and that era might have actually saved music, considering the direction it was taking right before that.

This.