Options

Rob Zombie Says Grunge Killed Rock In The U.S.

alternativenation.net/?p=48993

I think his point about the 'anti-rock star' would be more valid today since you have hipster acts not really writing big songs, but despite the Grunge bands 'anti-rock star' attitudes, bands like Pearl Jam wrote huge sounding ambitious songs, that in Pearl Jam's case are capable of filling stadiums 20 years later. Who gives a shit if they didn't/don't have fireworks at their shows.

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Who knows how much glam - rock would have progressed by now.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612
    text
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    RiotAct10 said:

text

am i hallucinating... @-)
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Not a fan of rob zombie.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Bad music hurt rock music in the US during the 1990s
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Yep yuppies trying to rescue crappy music that really belonged in the trash can, they defy the Rock Kings of their prominence...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Don't blame the music.. hold the music buyers responsible.
    Look how many records Britney Spears and the Boy Bands sold. Look how many people listen to Katy Perry compared to Pearl Jam... listen to Lady GaGa over Soundgarden... to Justin Beiber over Nine Inch Nails. Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Justin Beiber all live 'Rock star' lives. They can have it... i don't want it.
    And RAP became popular because the radio and MTv inundated the airwaves with crappy bands propped up by A&R people looking for the next Nirvana. Suburban kids in the mid to late 90s flocked to RAP to piss of their Soccer Moms and the cops. They thought they were all Gangsta but, were a million light years away from where the Rappers lived.
    And who was hoisting the Rock Banner in the 80s? Motley Crue? Poison? Winger? Did we really want them to endure? To be the influences of today's music?
    I think rock is doing just fine. Today's musicians are taking a queue from the guys in Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and focusing on the music, instead of the Rolls Royces and fur coats and diamond necklaces. Rock still lives... it has just downsized itself to the Theaters and ampitheaters instead of the massive arenas and football staduims. And i like it better this way.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Grunge label is stupid. Pearl Jam is rock. We just wanted a different name for it so we were better than our older brothers.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I like my rock to have some feeling... Some meaning...

Rob can keep Unskinny Bop and Dude Looks Like a Lady...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    MayDay10 said:

Who knows how much glam - rock would have progressed by now.

;)) This makes me chuckle! Thanks, MayDay! :-bd
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    There's still bad music around, to blame for the young dying generation we have had too
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

I like my rock to have some feeling... Some meaning...

Rob can keep Unskinny Bop and Dude Looks Like a Lady...

I'm sure that's not what he meant… His biggest hit is 10x as hard as any hair band put out…

I am not sure why he said what he did considering "grunge" saved rock, took it over, made models wear the clothes. It was a movement, thank God it changed glam.

IMHO Motley Crue really should be said in a different breath than the other glam hacks out there. They did bring it heavy for their time…Red Hot anyone?
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    Psy's new video already has 53 million views in 5 days. Sirens just got to 11 million in 8 months.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Rich white kids killed rock in the US.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Rock is far from alive...if anything it's on life support. 90% of today's music is terrible. Mount right terrible. Auto tune and that bullshit is burying music more and more everyday. You really don't have to have talent to be a musician in today's world. Just auto tune and a good producer.

Rock still exists but it's far from what it once was...even when "grunge" was "killing it"...

And let's be honest here...Metallica put out a good album in the 90s, Guns and Roses put out the Two Use Your Illusion Albums and those were good. Megadeth had a decent album, Anthrax had a decent album...I believe. Maybe the other rock bands then didn't put out enough good music to retain that fan base or keep them from going "grunge." Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't White Zombie put out two albums in the 90s?

As for rap...Public a Enemy came to the forefront through a collaboration with Anthrax. Run DMC with Aerosmith...who didn't put out terrible music in the 90s...actually that collab may have been late 80's...rap was growing before grunge music arrived on the music scene.

Can't blame Grunge for killing rock...if anything they kept it off life support for a little longer than it would have without it...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    JV130312 said:

Rock is far from alive...if anything it's on life support. 90% of today's music is terrible. Mount right terrible. Auto tune and that bullshit is burying music more and more everyday. You really don't have to have talent to be a musician in today's world. Just auto tune and a good producer.

Rock still exists but it's far from what it once was...even when "grunge" was "killing it"...

And let's be honest here...Metallica put out a good album in the 90s, Guns and Roses put out the Two Use Your Illusion Albums and those were good. Megadeth had a decent album, Anthrax had a decent album...I believe. Maybe the other rock bands then didn't put out enough good music to retain that fan base or keep them from going "grunge." Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't White Zombie put out two albums in the 90s?

As for rap...Public a Enemy came to the forefront through a collaboration with Anthrax. Run DMC with Aerosmith...who didn't put out terrible music in the 90s...actually that collab may have been late 80's...rap was growing before grunge music arrived on the music scene.

Can't blame Grunge for killing rock...if anything they kept it off life support for a little longer than it would have without it...

JV,
    You couldn't be more off base.Turn on Octane on Sirius/Xm radio,Get yourself to One of the Monster Energy sponsored Festivals and you will see there is still some insanely good new hard rock being pumped out.Bands that if you see live will blow your mind.Bands like the following...
    Stone Sour
    Shinedown
    Black Stone Cherry(even heard them referred to as Kentucky Garage Grunge)
    We as Human
    Virgin Mary's
    Artic Monkeys
    Pop Evil
    In This Moment
    bullet off my Valentine
    Just to name a few off the top of my head.Plus bands like Sabbath,Papa Roach,Soungarden,QOTSA,Chevelle,Slash,Alterbridge,Deftones,Sevendust,are all putting out great new music.Whats dying is Standard rock Radio to fuel it.W/Xm and Pandora and the like its now different.Not bad but Different.
    Getting back to a Raw sound Of Multi track recording concepts and leaving the new digital enhancements out still gives some new music a classic feel(Think Foo Fighters last album)Ask yourself this ,did the raw nature of how PJ Ten sounded cranked up,sound better then Backspacer and LB loud? He'll Yes ! There is an overproduced Quality to some of the new stuff that is easy to spot(Thanks B.O'Brien) that old stuff that producers like Butch Vig or new retro recording that Grohl is using like on the Sound City stuff that don't even compare.
  • Options
    And just something I've always noted.That after Glam hit its pinnacle with your Poisons,Great White,Skid Rows,Ratt,Europe,Etc
    Bands like Cinderella,Dokken,Warrant,Megadeath,Metallica,Tesla were still rocking out pretty damn good.GNR started to turn things a little less campy and then in the late 80s I really thought Alice and Chains Facelift album with that new heavy raw sound of Man in the Box(89 i believe)and Queensrhyche both brought a new exposed raw feel to the music.I know Mother Love Bone was also starting to get some play at the time,but I think Alice in Chains really was the first to pave the way on radio for the music movement that was to follow with Nirvana,PJ and the whole exploding "Grunge scene a year later"
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    all Rob Zombie songs sound the same
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    papa roach? Say what?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    rr165892 said:

And just something I've always noted.That after Glam hit its pinnacle with your Poisons,Great White,Skid Rows,Ratt,Europe,Etc
    Bands like Cinderella,Dokken,Warrant,Megadeath,Metallica,Tesla were still rocking out pretty damn good.GNR started to turn things a little less campy and then in the late 80s I really thought Alice and Chains Facelift album with that new heavy raw sound of Man in the Box(89 i believe)and Queensrhyche both brought a new exposed raw feel to the music.I know Mother Love Bone was also starting to get some play at the time,but I think Alice in Chains really was the first to pave the way on radio for the music movement that was to follow with Nirvana,PJ and the whole exploding "Grunge scene a year later"

Janes Addiction was the catalyst. Smells like teen spirit made it explode, then Lollapalooza ala JA again.

Chilli Peppers were rocking mid 80's too!
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    rgambs said:

papa roach? Say what?

My thought exactly.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

papa roach? Say what?

First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    smarchee said:

all Rob Zombie songs sound the same

True, but I've got a soft spot for his music, in the same way I do for bands like AC/DC who also rehash the same song.

I don't think he's necessarily wrong in what he says though. And in some ways it was a bit ironic that all these early 90's bands spurned the hedonistic lifestyle of the 80's rock stars, yet they idolised the 60's and 70's bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who etc, who were just as debauched if not more so!
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:

rgambs said:

papa roach? Say what?

My thought exactly.
    Dont hate if you have never experienced them live.I caught them 3times last year,and usually will go out of my way to see em.Jacoby Shaddox is a great front man and crowds are always very energetic.There newer stuff if still rockin and relevant .I guess each to there own.Im not a huge fan of DMB,Guided by Voices,Ukulele music,Springsteen just because PJ is into it.I am more on the heavy side with my taste in music with the exception of the Great Zac Brown Band who still rocks southern style.
  • Options
    just saw Zombie at Rockville fest with A7x,Staind,Korn,etc...He was decent ,And John5 is a beast on guitar.But he isn't relevant in the grand rock scheme in my opinion.
  • Options
    korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 926
    edited June 2014
    Dont mind Zombies music tho it can get a bit repetitive and i saw him live once... NEVER AGAIN!
    They played maybe 10 songs at most, not very well at that, and he spent the rest of the show mumbling on about robots and boobs. He has single handedly killed several rock tours/festivals for me, id rather save my money till the other bands i want to see come around again than sit through another set of his.
    Post edited by korn-1 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited June 2014
    well shitty Rock bands killed the rock scene, don't blame "grunge" Hair metal and their derivatives made the rock fans want to puke after awhile. Producers like Bob "Cock" Rock killed rock with their notion that things like the guitar solo were dead and a cliche (ask Kirk Hammet what he thought of that). The record labels signed up every imitation and high pitched squeeler with teased hair and turned fans off rock into the Alternative Rock scene. If anything Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, NIN, Janes SAVED rock. When the grunge scene/Seattle Sound faded the void was filled with shitty POp music/Boy bands/ and poseur wannabes. Remember the Rock hip hop trend, LIMP BISCUIT REALLY???

Then digital music killed the album, the industry stopped worrying about creating great albums and more for one hit wonders to make their cash. So yeah quality on a album basis has suffered immensely, the radio conglomerates played only the same shitty sound over and over until we just turned it off. MTV stopped doing videos to focus on lowest common denominator shows so no new talent was exposed like the last great Rock era/Alt rock movement of 89-96. Guns and Roses died, Metallica cockified finally drugged out----and cut their hair, ACDC got old, Nirvana died, Soundgarden split, NIN went techno industrial then on sabbatical. Other than Pearl Jam who the industry and other musicians shit on with ticketmaster, who the fuck was left to be a great rock band (and lest face it ED WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING "THE BAND"), of course the scene died ROB. Stupid reunion tours costing too much to ever go see for kids took over and the accessibility of rock went to shit.

You'd be nowhere without fucking Beavis and Butthead, and your lame as dress like a Zombie shit is just as bit as any Hair metal was as far as making your image trump your music. Go have a fake blood cocktail with Marilyn Manson jackass.

Rock and Roll will never die, but it like any style has to evolve, instead of devolving or staying stagnant. But don't say guitar solos which are rock and roll are passe, it is not rock without some killer licks and riffs.

Go make some more shitty movies Rob, because we can tell music is totally your focus based on your last 15 years
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Eh, if he worded himself a little better I could maybe see the point he is trying to make. Grunge era... Immensely popular which resulted in many shitty bands that tried to emulate the great grunge bands' MO. Things mutate, a song or two gets popular, gets tons of radio, more mutation, etc etc etc. Downward spiral. Did this only happens with the grune era? Of course not. But how many Eddie Vedders in the music industry did we really need?
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    And lol at Papa Roach. Senior year of high school we used their one popular song during our ice hockey warm ups prior to the game. :))

A couple of us May or may not have had frosted tips at the time :-&
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited June 2014
    There is a shit load of bad music out there and shit load of amazing music out there..... seems to me that's how it's always been. No probs there. The only thing to be concerned about is what someone else mentioned: the incredible numbers of people who are uninspired enough to be into the bad music and not bothered enough to even be able to find out what amazing music they are missing just because it's not all over the radio and TV.

What Rob Zombie said is just dumb. Why would anyone mourn what was lost from the rock scene in the late 80s? That shit pretty much ruined itself. No reason to blame the grunge era. I think rock is in better shape now than it was right before PJ and Nirvana, AIC, SG, etc came along, and that era might have actually saved music, considering the direction it was taking right before that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata