Options

How Politics Makes Us Stupid

dignindignin Posts: 9,303
This is very enlightening science.

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/6/5556462/brain-dead-how-politics-makes-us-stupid

"There’s a simple theory underlying much of American politics. It sits hopefully at the base of almost every speech, every op-ed, every article, and every panel discussion. It courses through the Constitution and is a constant in President Obama’s most stirring addresses. It’s what we might call the More Information Hypothesis: the belief that many of our most bitter political battles are mere misunderstandings. The cause of these misunderstandings? Too little information — be it about climate change, or taxes, or Iraq, or the budget deficit. If only the citizenry were more informed, the thinking goes, then there wouldn’t be all this fighting.

It’s a seductive model. It suggests our fellow countrymen aren’t wrong so much as they’re misguided, or ignorant, or — most appealingly — misled by scoundrels from the other party. It holds that our debates are tractable and that the answers to our toughest problems aren’t very controversial at all. The theory is particularly prevalent in Washington, where partisans devote enormous amounts of energy to persuading each other that there’s really a right answer to the difficult questions in American politics — and that they have it.

But the More Information Hypothesis isn’t just wrong. It’s backwards. Cutting-edge research shows that the more information partisans get, the deeper their disagreements become."

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,731
    I wish the majority of Americans thought about things that deeply. I honestly believe most people form their opinion around a combination of what they their peers believe, what gives them a sense of belonging to a group and what simply strikes their fancy and they form their opinions without a great deal of deeper critical thinking.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Shit, I don't even know who my peers would be, let alone following or elevating their opinions over my own sometimes-changing views.

If people ruled themselves by decency, conscience and common sense, there wouldn't need to be articles written like this.

All this mindless rah-rah take down the other team shit, might as well call the parties Ridgemont and Lincoln High.
  • Options
    Sorry it's such a long read, but there are some really interesting ideas in there.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I wish the majority of Americans thought about things that deeply. I honestly believe most people form their opinion around a combination of what they their peers believe, what gives them a sense of belonging to a group and what simply strikes their fancy and they form their opinions without a great deal of deeper critical thinking.

I think this applies well for everyone, not just Americans. Deeper critical thinking seems to be missing all over the place.

This kind of writing should be required reading before posting on the AMT. I know I have been guilty of getting stuck in my views without looking at something more deeply. It's a hard impulse to restrain, and a constant fight. Whether its genetic or environmental I don't know.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

If people ruled themselves by decency, conscience and common sense, there wouldn't need to be articles written like this.

All this mindless rah-rah take down the other team shit, might as well call the parties Ridgemont and Lincoln High.

Agreed.

• Options
    "Consider how utterly insane that is: being better at math made partisans less likely to solve the problem correctly when solving the problem correctly meant betraying their political instincts. People weren’t reasoning to get the right answer; they were reasoning to get the answer that they wanted to be right"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The problem is that when you identify with a political group you have to maintain the party line or risk being ostracized.

This eliminates the theory of common sense. Thus your party will not succeed against parties that are more defined.

I often wonder why I voice my political thoughts. They differ from side to side, thus I think all despise my thoughts.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

The problem is that when you identify with a political group you have to maintain the party line or risk being ostracized.

This eliminates the theory of common sense. Thus your party will not succeed against parties that are more defined.

I often wonder why I voice my political thoughts. They differ from side to side, thus I think all despise my thoughts.

Mine switch up as well depending on the issue, which is why I continue to speak my mind and encourage others to do the same.

The whole party concept is inane nowadays, as we all have at least some common ground with others, maybe moreso than differences.

We all can't afford to lose at the expense of any party's success, for the sole purpose of claiming success.

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    If it's on the television and I'm being told what I basically believe... it must be true.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Think it's more of inconvenient truths. They are overlooked or marginalized.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Politicians and political parties have an agenda ... And in most cases their agenda is based on them gaining something for themselves in the end.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2014
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.” - Groucho Marx
    Politics is more difficult than physics - Albert Einstein

Good article though, I frankly believe that politics keeps us distracted from the real issues. Our politicians know this and take full advantage…
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.” - Groucho Marx
    Politics is more difficult than physics - Albert Einstein

Good article though, I frankly believe that politics keeps us distracted from the real issues. Our politicians know this and take full advantage…

Great quotes!

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    politics are something the common man has very little control over..only an opinion then there is "we the people" wtf ! why are we the people restricted by a government that was created by the people for the people, it seems that the asshats in government positions have made a wire fence of laws to protect them selfs and strenthin their own positions,it seems the only way a polition can be ousted is by getting caught smoking crack or banging an intern....fuck up a country...no problem right ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    The only partisanship that exists is the behind the scenes stuff that they do to expand their power.

The stuff that we see is what they want us to see, it keeps us divided and therefore distracted.

There are two parties but they aren't Republican and Democrat, they are Authoritarian and Libertarian.
  • Options
    Lets create a new party and call it the Co-opertarian Party. The basic platform will be:

Protect the environment.
    Reduce carbon the the atmosphere.
    End war.
    End poverty.
    Promote peace.
    Feed the hungry.
    Give shelter to all.
    Support the arts.
    End racial bias.

What, me an idealist? Hell yeah! :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    You are dreaming, hope it happens!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Actually... i think that stupid people getting involved with political issues makes politics seem stupid.
    I say that because i have had numerous political debates with people who understand politics and have the ability to support their viewpoints with facts. Politics became stupid when stupid people began to express political views based on nothing that is supportable.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

I think this applies well for everyone, not just Americans. Deeper critical thinking seems to be missing all over the place.

This kind of writing should be required reading before posting on the AMT. I know I have been guilty of getting stuck in my views without looking at something more deeply. It's a hard impulse to restrain, and a constant fight. Whether its genetic or environmental I don't know.
    But in the situation you describe where you have been guilty of getting stuck in my views without looking at something more deeply... the opportunity for learning exists. By admitting this, one is capable of reflection and change. It's when one persists with their ill-formed ideas and refuses to accept sound challenges that one would actually 'be stuck in their views'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsung said:

You are dreaming, hope it happens!

:-bd