Idiosyncrasies?

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
id·i·o·syn·cra·sy
id-ee-uh-sing-kruh-see, -sin-] Show IPA

noun, plural id·i·o·syn·cra·sies.
1. a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual.

I like eat soup after my meal, NEVER before.

What are yours?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    i have a few.

i never eat dessert.

i can not drink alcohol with dinner. i do not think i am wired for it. when i do, neither the food nor the alcohol sits well with me.

i never step on cracks in the sidewalk, or chalk lines when playing baseball or football.

in hockey i always put on my equipment in the same order starting with my cup, left sock and shin guard, then the right, garter belt and i hook in the left sock first, then right, pants and suspenders, left skate, then right, tape the left shin guard first, then right, then shoulder pads left arm first, left elbow pad then right, jersey, helmet, left glove, then right. this is weird to me because i am uber-right handed. i doff the equipment in random order.

i prefer the company of a dog to that of most people.

when you re-string or tune a guitar, most people go in the order of strings 6-5-4-3-2-1. i go 3-4-5-2-6-1. i don't know why, but i always start on the middle strings and work my way to the fat and skinny ones.

nearly every girl i have ever been involved with has initiated meeting me. i rarely seek women out and initiate contact. never had to.

i can recall song lyrics, poetry stanzas, and movie quotes like it is nobody's business, yet i can not remember anything of importance that my girlfriend tells me.

also, i have been working out pretty consistently for the last 5 years. these days, the only reason i go to the gym anymore and lift weights is not because i like it or it feels good, nor for my mental health/moods. i lift because i get to drink a whey protein shake when i am finished. it tastes just like milky froot loop cereal, and it is fucking amazing.... that shake is my ONLY motivation these days... :fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I will never touch the rail on an escalator. Ever.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,216
    I like to drink my rum n cokes out of a huge measuring cup. It has a large open area, a perfect handle, and it's plastic, so it doesnt break when I get too smashed and drop it. :geek:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I lock my door in order, top lock first, then bottom, then chain(if its the end of the day)
    The first time my bf-at-the-time locked my door behind him he did the bottom lock only - i stood there staring at him and my door in utter confusion and disbelief. So he locked the top lock, which probably just intensified the look of confusion on my face. :lol:

Also when opening the door I turn the key the wrong way first. No idea why, I just do.

Dunno wtf it is with me and locks.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • I find these sorts of habits popping up
    in my speech patterns.
    After watching a bunch of Kevin Smith Q + As,
    I now use the word sir consistently
    in everyday conversation.
    I also make a point of looking at the floor in elevators
    That's all for now-
    share with me people!

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • If I have to take a pill I must first smash it into smithereens and take it bit by bit for fear I will choke and die if I swallow it whole.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507

I will never touch the rail on an escalator. Ever.

Probably a good idea. You ever seen anyone cleaning an escalator rail??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I always have to walk to the right of the person I'm walking with (and hope that I never meet someone with the same idiosyncrasy - what would we do then?? Walk single file? :P ).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    If I'm sitting in the back seat of a vehicle I need to sit behind the passenger seat so that I can see the drivers panel otherwise I feel like the car is completely out of control. Also I don't let people put the dishes away in my kitchen because it drives me nuts when I can't find what I'm looking for.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    edited February 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

I always have to walk to the right of the person I'm walking with (and hope that I never meet someone with the same idiosyncrasy - what would we do then?? Walk single file? :P ).

One of my friends is the same way. But she also has some serious OCD stuff going on: eating food in a particular order, will wear flip flops year 'round, has to have items on her desk line up a certain way, etc.
    ELITIST FUK
  • PJ_Soul said:

Not to be flippant about this,
    but does this apply to groups as well?
    If you're walking with a bunch of people
    do you have to be on the far right of all of them?
    Does it apply with kids?
    If the person is way shorter than you,
    below your eye line,
    does it bother you to be on the left?
    Just curious!
    Cheers.

I also HAVE to have a clean windshield. I don't care if the rest of my truck looks like it's just been through 3 feet of mud. My windshield has to be spotless. I've pulled my car over to clean it several times if the washer fluid couldn't handle the bug that just splattered itself all over.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I never drink anything while eating dinner. I could have a full glass of whatever but I don't touch it until I'm done eating.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited February 2014
    i have a ton of ridiculous bullshit going on. some are idosyncrasies, some are ADHD type behaviors & some are OCD. maybe they all blend together giving me a real fucking mess to deal with?

i don't like certain volume level numbers on my car stereo
    7,9, 13, 27 no
    but 25 is ok

left leg in underwear first
    left sock, right sock
    left leg in pants first
    left boot, right boot
    same with shirts, jackets & coats
    left arm, right arm

if i go right first on anyof those items i am confused & feel odd

surprisingly enough i don't give a shit about much of anything

i'd never sit down to eat & not have a glass of water, tea or whatever im drinking
    when showering all my scrubbing up & shampooing/conditioning is done in exact order as is my drying off

i never put money in my right front pocket only my left as i have some quartz crystals in my R front pocket. $$$ will not ever be in that pocket, ever

pillows are cold or thrown away or given to homeless junkies

thank goodness i am back on my attention deficit hyperactivity disorder medication. hadn't had any of that stuff since 7th or 8th grade.
    seems life is not such a juggling act

y'all should have witnessed me operating my life last year... wow!
    i am good at dropping hands fulls of bullshit as i move about freely
    anywhere i am/everywhere i go, i accumulate heaps of crap in short order & it drives most ppl including myself, bonkers
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

PJ_Soul said:

Not to be flippant about this,
    but does this apply to groups as well?
    If you're walking with a bunch of people
    do you have to be on the far right of all of them?
    Does it apply with kids?
    If the person is way shorter than you,
    below your eye line,
    does it bother you to be on the left?
    Just curious!
    Cheers.

I walk on the right of the group, yes.
    Yes, it applies to kids and short people.
    It bothers me very much to be on the left. I just don't do it. I have mastered this little move where i swing over to a person's right in a way that makes them seem surprised when i suddenly turn up there, lol. It's second nature to me. It is almost a physical discomfort driving me - myvwhole self feels somehow wrong when i'm walking to the left of people. I do not feel this way about sitting to the left of people though.... although i am a bit particular about my physical orientation when it comes to table arrangement. In restaurants I regularly turn down tables i'm offered by the hostess because it just doesn't feel right to me, or switch tables because I feel a bit weird (those who know me have grown used to this little peculiarity, lol. It's a bit embarrassing, but oh well). Almost like an internal feng shui thing i think, but i can't help it.
    Chadwick, if you have a suggestion on a good pillow that stays cool i'd love to hear it. :)
  • PJ_Soul said:

Chadwick, if you have a suggestion on a good pillow that stays cool i'd love to hear it. :)

sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Sleep-Supporting-Cooling-Pillow/201893

Pour vous, mon ami!
    Salut.
  • PJ_Soul said:

I walk on the right of the group, yes.
    Yes, it applies to kids and short people.
    It bothers me very much to be on the left. I just don't do it. I have mastered this little move where i swing over to a person's right in a way that makes them seem surprised when i suddenly turn up there, lol. It's second nature to me. It is almost a physical discomfort driving me - myvwhole self feels somehow wrong when i'm walking to the left of people. I do not feel this way about sitting to the left of people though.... although i am a bit particular about my physical orientation when it comes to table arrangement. In restaurants I regularly turn down tables i'm offered by the hostess because it just doesn't feel right to me, or switch tables because I feel a bit weird (those who know me have grown used to this little peculiarity, lol. It's a bit embarrassing, but oh well). Almost like an internal feng shui thing i think, but i can't help it.

Fascinating- thanx for sharing.
    The only restaurant seating issue I have
    is my tendency to take seats that face the wall.
    An ex-gf from university days got me into the habit
    'cause she liked having her back to the wall
    to look out at everyone else.
    So I invariably got stuck looking at dime store artwork
    and so-called antiques.
    Now it's just a habit.

Cheers.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I cannot go to sleep unless I have walked dogs.. It's a weird thing. But they HAVE TO go.. I walk them two hours every day.. EVERY day.
    i need noise, breeze & cold to sleep. music & a fan. it will be -37 degrees out & i am sleeping with my fan & stereo on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

i need noise, breeze & cold to sleep. music & a fan. it will be -37 degrees out & i am sleeping with my fan & stereo on

Lol, i'm the same way Chadwick. I keep my window and porch door open in the winter, and sleep best with noise. A fan plus a sound machine works well!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

Lol, i'm the same way Chadwick. I keep my window and porch door open in the winter, and sleep best with noise. A fan plus a sound machine works well!
    Count me in this "fan club" as well :D

I like (actually, have now come to need) the white-noise aspect of it, plus the air movement.

Another quirk related to sleeping - the open part of my pillowcase must be facing the edge of the bed. I wish I knew what it means!
    truck driving gave me this noise-sleeping bit. a big ass diesel motor under the hood idling for a driver's comfort (heat or ac) & a a reefer unit (a diesel motor mounted at the nose of the trailer used in keeping the trailer frozen or cooled as it is a rolling refrigerator) that kicks on/off as the thermostat regulates

when you are sleeping in your bunk (& if you have a co-driver) your co-driver is going down the highway, the exhaust pipe stacks are right there on the otherside of the bunkbed. lots of folks use earplugs

yeah i can't sleep in silence, it drives me nuts

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    ever try buying a fan in the winter? it isn't easy.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

I cannot go to sleep unless I have walked dogs.. It's a weird thing. But they HAVE TO go.. I walk them two hours every day.. EVERY day.

that's pretty neat. i suppose you will get you & your dogs' walk in then

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

I like (actually, have now come to need) the white-noise aspect of it, plus the air movement.

Another quirk related to sleeping - the open part of my pillowcase must be facing the edge of the bed. I wish I knew what it means!
    I want to join too

1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee said:

hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

I want to join too

you're in mr. smarchee

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I must touch the outside of an airplane as I am stepping on board. I feel this helps the plane to not crash.
    Wow, I guess I'm not so crazy after all!! When I shower, shampoo first, always. Then my face. After that, it doesn't matter. I have washed my face first before I shampooed, but I had to start my shower over (which means I wash my hair then my face again.)

As far as sleeping, I too need noise and a fan. And you will never see me sleep with socks on. I can't do it. I've dozed off watching football games and I wake up in a panic because my socks are on. Someone please tell me why....
  • lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738

I must touch the outside of an airplane as I am stepping on board. I feel this helps the plane to not crash.

OMG!!! I do this too. So good to know I'm not the only one.
    Just gives me a feeling of security. I usually give it two knocks before I step in the plane.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16