NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,024
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the Celtics made my point Friday night.  The East is fucking trash.  A 1-seed losing by 40+.  What a fucking joke.
    How is the West materially better?  I don't think you've made the point.  The issue is that there's a super team out west and east.  No one had a chance against either of them.  
    why is this happening??..its matter of money, of picks, of what??..

Lots of theories... one is that after the Dream Team in 92, the players started to get to know each other better and don't hate each other like they did in previous generations.  They hang out in the summer, vacation, etc. and so the relationships have changed.  Couple that with the obscene money they make both in contracts and endorsements, and it gives them the flexibility to take less to play together.  Golden State lucked into their situation because they don't have four max contracts.  Curry and Green are on relatively small contracts.  We'll see if they stay together. Plus...players want to win championships.  It's funny how in baseball the criticism is that the players are chasing the money, not the WS ring.  But NBA players are being criticized for the opposite.  
    Well for a while in MLB it was a win/win with joining the Yankees.  You got both money and a championship.

I agree with GS getting very lucky.  Spurs were very lucky with their drafting also.  Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginoboli, hell Leonard they picked up from the D league, he wasn't even drafted.

I also agreeing with the players getting more friendly and wanting to play with each other.  Watch old interviews with Bird, Magic, Jordan, Barkley and they all say the same thing, "I didn't want to be on their team, I wanted to compete against them"
    Yes, the Spurs did get Lucky on some of those players. Unless, it was great scouting? 

Leonard was the 15th pick by the Pacers in the First round. He was traded to the Spurs in the George Hill deal, on draft night
    My mistake, he was drafted!

So the killer instinct for the Cavs went right out the damn window again...  What the hell happened last night?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Lets go Celtics!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the Celtics made my point Friday night.  The East is fucking trash.  A 1-seed losing by 40+.  What a fucking joke.
    How is the West materially better?  I don't think you've made the point.  The issue is that there's a super team out west and east.  No one had a chance against either of them.  
    why is this happening??..its matter of money, of picks, of what??..

Lots of theories... one is that after the Dream Team in 92, the players started to get to know each other better and don't hate each other like they did in previous generations.  They hang out in the summer, vacation, etc. and so the relationships have changed.  Couple that with the obscene money they make both in contracts and endorsements, and it gives them the flexibility to take less to play together.  Golden State lucked into their situation because they don't have four max contracts.  Curry and Green are on relatively small contracts.  We'll see if they stay together. Plus...players want to win championships.  It's funny how in baseball the criticism is that the players are chasing the money, not the WS ring.  But NBA players are being criticized for the opposite.  
    Well for a while in MLB it was a win/win with joining the Yankees.  You got both money and a championship.

I agree with GS getting very lucky.  Spurs were very lucky with their drafting also.  Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginoboli, hell Leonard they picked up from the D league, he wasn't even drafted.

I also agreeing with the players getting more friendly and wanting to play with each other.  Watch old interviews with Bird, Magic, Jordan, Barkley and they all say the same thing, "I didn't want to be on their team, I wanted to compete against them"
    Yes, the Spurs did get Lucky on some of those players. Unless, it was great scouting? 

Leonard was the 15th pick by the Pacers in the First round. He was traded to the Spurs in the George Hill deal, on draft night
    My mistake, he was drafted!

So the killer instinct for the Cavs went right out the damn window again...  What the hell happened last night?
    Thought they could phone it in...  One extra game only hopefully.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    Congrats LeBron on passing Jordan for career playoff points. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited May 2017
    igotid88 said:
    Congrats LeBron on passing Jordan for career playoff points. 
    Lebron is the best NBA player ever.  Congrats on passing the Quitter (he also passed him on the all time steals list this week -- already ranks higher in all other stats)
  • Options
    Now what we've been anticipating for months... Cavs VS Golden State!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Now what we've been anticipating for months... Cavs VS Golden State!
    Third year the same teams..never happened again..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    A week off?  God the NBA is fucking LLLAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEE!!
  • Options
    Hey they earned their time off.  Plus they coordinate with the NHL.  
  • Options
    They can have time off when The Finals are over.  They run back and forth for 48 minutes.  A week off. Christ.

The NHL took 3 days. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mrussel1 said:
    They don't coordinate with the NHL....the NBA sets the date that the Finals will start before the season even starts.....a week off between games is absolutely ridiculous.  I think the NHL just works around the NBA Finals schedule to not have games on the same day.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    They don't coordinate with the NHL....the NBA sets the date that the Finals will start before the season even starts.....a week off between games is absolutely ridiculous.  I think the NHL just works around the NBA Finals schedule to not have games on the same day.
    Same difference.  That's my point.  They intentionally ensure that the games don't cross.
    And the NHL has 3 days off because the East went 7 games.  I'm 90% certain that the Finals have a locked in start date for both leagues.  The earlier you finish the more time you have.  Isn't that true?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The series going 7 games has nothing to do with it.  I've never known the NHL to take more than 2-3 days off.
    The NBA announced earlier in the conference finals they were gonna schedule a week off in between.
    The NBA also consistently schedules back-to-back home playoff games with 2 days off in between.  There's absolutely NO reason they can't play consecutive nights in the same city.  The sport isn't that physically demanding.
  • Options
    The series going 7 games has nothing to do with it.  I've never known the NHL to take more than 2-3 days off.
    The NBA announced earlier in the conference finals they were gonna schedule a week off in between.
    The NBA also consistently schedules back-to-back home playoff games with 2 days off in between.  There's absolutely NO reason they can't play consecutive nights in the same city.  The sport isn't that physically demanding.
    You're crazy if you think playing 40 minutes of basketball isn't grueling.  Have you ever played at full speed for that period of time?  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    You're crazy if you think playing 40 minutes of basketball isn't grueling.  Have you ever played at full speed for that period of time?  
    When I did I never had shin splints.  Simply amazing.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,475
    from what I heard, the NBA had a start date, based on the possibility of 7 game semis, and couldn't change it.

FWIW, I think BB is pretty gruelling when you play 40+ minutes a game.

they say soccer dudes really run but it's a pussy sport and they barely jog most of the time.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Of the sports I've played at an organized level, it's:
    1. Wrestling
    2. Football
    3. Jarts
    4. Basketball
    5. Baseball
    6. Golf
    I've never played organized soccer, so I can't say much about it, but I'm sure it tests your endurance.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    If they can't do that 2 nights in a row with a night off on the 3rd, they're not working hard enough.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    If they can't do that 2 nights in a row with a night off on the 3rd, they're not working hard enough.
    There are plenty of back to back games during the regular season,  but the team playing the second game is at a disadvantage.  Therefore,  by definition,  the quality of the product is diminished.  Why would the NBA damage the quality of their showcase event? Makes zero sense. 

Goal tenders typically almost always get a day off in that situation during the reg season   I guess they are lazy athletes too.  They don't do back to back in the playoffs either. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Wrestling
    2. Football
    3. Jarts
    4. Basketball
    5. Baseball
    6. Golf
    I've never played organized soccer, so I can't say much about it, but I'm sure it tests your endurance.
    jarts > basketball :lol:

GO CAVS!!!!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    There are plenty of back to back games during the regular season,  but the team playing the second game is at a disadvantage.  Therefore,  by definition,  the quality of the product is diminished.  Why would the NBA damage the quality of their showcase event? Makes zero sense. 

Goal tenders typically almost always get a day off in that situation during the reg season   I guess they are lazy athletes too.  They don't do back to back in the playoffs either. 
    the NBA regular season schedule is insane.  They pretty much play back-to-back every week in a different city both nights.  it's crazy. 

the playoffs is the exact opposite and  a complete joke.  I sort of get the 7 and 9 days off for the finals because it's pre-scheduled but why then start the next round of the playoffs as soon as both teams are done with their previous rounds?  one of the conference finals started before the other conference was done the previous round. that's just dumb.  You also don't need 2 days off after game 1. so they play Thursday night then not again until Sunday night.  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

the NBA regular season schedule is insane.  They pretty much play back-to-back every week in a different city both nights.  it's crazy. 

the playoffs is the exact opposite and  a complete joke.  I sort of get the 7 and 9 days off for the finals because it's pre-scheduled but why then start the next round of the playoffs as soon as both teams are done with their previous rounds?  one of the conference finals started before the other conference was done the previous round. that's just dumb.  You also don't need 2 days off after game 1. so they play Thursday night then not again until Sunday night.  
    It is dumb.  The NBA has a problem with their regular season product now...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

And 7 straight years of Lebron/Heat/Cavs and 3 of Curry/Warriors in the playoffs.  The overall NBA product is one giant snoooooooooooooooze fest!
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

And 7 straight years of Lebron/Heat/Cavs and 3 of Curry/Warriors in the playoffs.  The overall NBA product is one giant snoooooooooooooooze fest!
    I enjoy the finals and I love seeing Lebron in it.  He is an absolute treasure to watch.

When He's gone you'll miss him...
  • Options
    Trust me, I won't.
    The Shade Throwing is strong with this one!
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I enjoy the finals and I love seeing Lebron in it.  He is an absolute treasure to watch.

When He's gone you'll miss him...

when le bron be gone...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,227
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Wrestling
    2. Football
    3. Jarts
    4. Basketball
    5. Baseball
    6. Golf

Do you wear jorts when you play jarts?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    are the Finals underway yet? :confounded:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Wrestling
    2. Football
    3. Jarts
    4. Basketball
    5. Baseball
    6. Golf

Do you wear jorts when you play jarts?
    Actually I wear Bike shorts... jorts.. no fucking way.