Options

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.......?

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited April 2014 in Other Music
how do rap acts get in the R n R hall of fame ?

Godfather.

(CNN) -- "Teen Spirit" and "Good Times" may be coming to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- sealed with a KISS.

Grunge groundbreakers Nirvana, disco dynamos Chic and the costume-clad, Gene Simmons-led pop metal band KISS are among 16 nominees up for election in the museum's Class of 2014. The deep selection also includes '70s and '80s hitmakers Hall and Oates; college radio heroes the Replacements; New Orleans funkmeisters the Meters; sweet-voiced Linda Ronstadt; and pioneering gangsta rappers N.W.A.

Completing the list: the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, LL Cool J, Cat Stevens, Link Wray, Yes and the Zombies.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/showbiz/r ... ?hpt=hp_c3
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    None of those bands are Rock n Roll bands.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

(CNN) -- "Teen Spirit" and "Good Times" may be coming to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- sealed with a KISS.

Grunge groundbreakers Nirvana, disco dynamos Chic and the costume-clad, Gene Simmons-led pop metal band KISS are among 16 nominees up for election in the museum's Class of 2014. The deep selection also includes '70s and '80s hitmakers Hall and Oates; college radio heroes the Replacements; New Orleans funkmeisters the Meters; sweet-voiced Linda Ronstadt; and pioneering gangsta rappers N.W.A.

Completing the list: the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, LL Cool J, Cat Stevens, Link Wray, Yes and the Zombies.

It tells a lot about you and rock and roll if you take TRARHOF seriously. It s quite a joke just like how you like to laugh....just THIS year a band the caliber of RUSH recently was inducted in the hall.....I was praying they would NEVER get in that joke of a place. The band however accepted their induction with class and grace, under immense pressure.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Pingfah wrote:

So you're saying Deep purple isn't rock and roll :lol:
  • Options
    Deep Purple is rock or metal. Last time I checked Rock n' Roll was a defunct musical style from the 1950s, not disco, grunge, metal OR rap. ;)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    RRHOF- the Disney Land of popular music. It would be mare accurate if it were called The Popular Music Hall of Fame.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Humorously, Pearl Jam WAS inducted into the Salsa Music Hall Of Fame in 2004. So was the comedian Paul Reiser, who doesn't even play music.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    RRHOF- the Disney Land of popular music. It would be mare accurate if it were called The Popular Music Hall of Fame.

Yes exactly, they've been letting non rock acts in forever, I don't see why rap should be particularly egregious considering they have had folk, jazz, disco and pop stars already. And, incidentally, quite a few other rap acts, like Run DMC & Public Enemy for instance.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    Deep Purple is rock or metal. Last time I checked Rock n' Roll was a defunct musical style from the 1950s, not disco, grunge, metal OR rap. ;)

Music hall of fame would be a better name considering some of the inductees with many of them undeserving of the honor to begin with.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    Pingfah wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Yes exactly, they've been letting non rock acts in forever, I don't see why rap should be particularly egregious considering they have had folk, jazz, disco and pop stars already. And, incidentally, quite a few other rap acts, like Run DMC & Public Enemy for instance.

Once again it is time for a history lesson....

Rap has been sampling rock music, not to mention many other genres, since its inception in the 70s.

Much of rock is rooted in a variety of musical styles including jazz, blues, r&b, and others

If you want to stick to the name "Rock n Roll" then maybe PJ shouldn't be admitted in a few years because they were "grunge"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Humorously, Pearl Jam WAS inducted into the Salsa Music Hall Of Fame in 2004. So was the comedian Paul Reiser, who doesn't even play music.
    Please tell me you're kidding (and if so, color me gullible, because I just googled this :mrgreen: ).

Yeah, I put as much stock in this "institution" as I do the Grammys. The bars have been moved so low that it really means nothing - at least to me.

(that said, I'll likely watch when it's aired, as I dug seeing Rush last go-around, and love Cat's and Gabriel's music)
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Rap has been sampling rock music, not to mention many other genres, since its inception in the 70s.

Much of rock is rooted in a variety of musical styles including jazz, blues, r&b, and others

If you want to stick to the name "Rock n Roll" then maybe PJ shouldn't be admitted in a few years because they were "grunge"

I don't need a history lesson thanks, and I don't want to stick to Rock n Roll acts. In fact i'm questioning why others are so rigid in their expectations.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Yes, absolutely. All these forms are related and have roots in blues in jazz. Rock and Roll is one form of many and RRHOF inductees are not all rock and roll so to me it makes more sense to call it "Popular Music" hall of fame instead. Great bands like Mission of Burma and Minutemen will probably never be inducted because they are not "popular".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    hedonist wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Please tell me you're kidding (and if so, color me gullible, because I just googled this :mrgreen: ).

Yeah, I put as much stock in this "institution" as I do the Grammys. The bars have been moved so low that it really means nothing - at least to me.

(that said, I'll likely watch when it's aired, as I dug seeing Rush last go-around, and love Cat's and Gabriel's music)

Totally joking. :D

When I put "Paul Reiser", that made it somehow credible, right? :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    CJMST3K wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Totally joking. :D

When I put "Paul Reiser", that made it somehow credible, right? :)
    Son of a...!

It was indeed the Reiser factor :P
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    From last year:
    "The definition of 'rock and roll' means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music," said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is 'rock and roll'."

This year:
    This year's nominees represent the broad definition of 'rock 'n' roll' and include an array of artists whose fans are deeply passionate about the possibility of induction," says Joel Peresman, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.
  • Options
    Pingfah wrote:

:shock: ....really............ :lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Pingfah wrote:

Link Wray is.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

Link Wray is.

Link Wray was a legend and definitely belongs there. I really dug Jimmy Page's tribute of sorts to Link in "It Might Get Loud". I'm really glad I went to see him though only once- Winterland, San Francisco, mid seventies. He and his band were great. The opening band was this hair band no one had ever heard of- Journey. Weird match up! :lol:

• Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

Link Wray is.

I've been a Link Wray fan sense the mid 70's and later on got to know his nephew David Wray aka "Wrazor" but yes if anybody is Rock N Roll and should hold the title "hall of famer" Link Wray is one of them for sure.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Pingfah wrote:

Link Wray is.

I've been a Link Wray fan sense the mid 70's and later on got to know his nephew David Wray aka "Wrazor" but yes if anybody is Rock N Roll and should hold the title "hall of famer" Link Wray is one of them for sure.

Godfather.

You agree with Byrnzie? :D
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    :think:....... :shh: :lol:

sounds like he knows his Rock N Roll !

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Came across this clip of you two guys rockin it with your band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFJ9M1W4G0
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    im going to say deep purple is rock & roll

link wray... rock & roll

it is throughly amazing neither one of them were not inducted some time ago. wow! i think brain dead fucking folks run the RRHF
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

While you're at it, why does it take 40 years for the HoF to even consider a woman to be inducted? That's right, it's been 40 years for Ronstandt and Heart.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    linda ronstandt and heart have more talent than a lot of dipshit outfits already in the fucking thing
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: awesome man ! but you really have no idea but still funny !!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Someday sounds like Alice in Chains meets Pantera!

Is there something I should know about these videos Godfather?
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: awesome man ! but you really have no idea but still funny !!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Godfather.

:lol:
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

While you're at it, why does it take 40 years for the HoF to even consider a woman to be inducted? That's right, it's been 40 years for Ronstandt and Heart.

Aretha Franklin was inducted 1987, the Hall's second year.
    The Supremes, 1988.
    Ike & Tina, 1991.