Options

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.......?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Godfather. wrote:

Someday sounds like Alice in Chains meets Pantera!

Is there something I should know about these videos Godfather?

no, I just took the opertunity to post my Buddy's band (the singer) they have had some airplay here in san diego lately, they're a fairly new band but I expect to see them expand musically,they may open for Lita Ford here in town in November.....in which case I told him I want back stage passes to meet Lita to sign my cigar box guitar :mrgreen:

Godfather.
  • Options
    jamburger wrote:

While you're at it, why does it take 40 years for the HoF to even consider a woman to be inducted? That's right, it's been 40 years for Ronstandt and Heart.

Aretha Franklin was inducted 1987, the Hall's second year.
    The Supremes, 1988.
    Ike & Tina, 1991.

Ike and Tina, is a couple. Not simply women. And Aretha is a goddess to music! It still doesn't explain why they hesitated for many years on Heart and Ronstandt (and Rush). So they're validity is squat, to me.
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    This just in...the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame is EMPTY...all previous inductees were kicked out after an investigation revealed that they ALL took "performance-enhancing substances." Asterisks to be added to names on sales records soon.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Someday sounds like Alice in Chains meets Pantera!

Is there something I should know about these videos Godfather?

no, I just took the opertunity to post my Buddy's band (the singer) they have had some airplay here in san diego lately, they're a fairly new band but I expect to see them expand musically,they may open for Lita Ford here in town in November.....in which case I told him I want back stage passes to meet Lita to sign my cigar box guitar :mrgreen:

Godfather.

They are good!

Not as good as your and Byrnzie's band... but good. :D
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Why would Ike Turner get in a Hall of Fame?

He was a domestic abuser, drug abuser, dog abuser, and once shot a mailman.
    (note: the mailman was asking for it)

It's amazing that if you can sing or dance, how much society lets you off the hook (cue to Chris Brown nodding)
  • Options
    Rock n Roll music has always been more of a counter-culture attitude than a style that stuck to rules.

The term "rock n roll" is a euphemism for sex. That's the point. If you want to play it loud and piss off your parents.. that's rock n roll. By the late 70s, when rock music was at it's most obtuse, pretentious and self-important, the hoodlums and heels took it back.

Sid Vicious and Fred Schneider and Siouxie and Joan Jett used their guitars like sledge hammers taking out the hemorrhoid-suffering tools like Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Foreigner and every band trying to copy Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. And you can include Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in that group, too. Those were all good bands but they sure didn't bear much resemblance to the original rock stars of the 50s. Punk Rock and New Wave were the big bang that rock music needed to reset itself. Nirvana did the same thing 15 years later.

We seriously need a new one, if you ask me. While there are some amazing bands out there kicking the foundations, they're not having that huge impact that The Sex Pistols, Nirvana or Buddy Holly had.

Rap Music isn't anything I tend to like much. But it DOES piss off parents and it DOES represent youth and rebellion... so it fits with the tradition of what Rock n Roll was all about.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    There's kickass, thoughtful, carefully-crafted music (and lyrics!) out there if you listen for it. It's just obscured by the Katy Perrys and Beibers and Gagas and others who care more for image over quality.

Rock stars of the 50s...oh man. I've been on a Chuck Berry binge lately. THAT'S rock & roll, a huge part of it. And I'll say I love its roots and its evolution to now. Creativity is something to behold and to take in.

I've never known how to answer the question "what kind of music do you like?"

I can't think of any genre I wouldn't listen to.

My answer these days is "the good kind".
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    I agree with P.O.D. It's time for someone/s to shake things up again. I quit listening to rock and roll in the early 70's because it had gotten stale and in doing so, missed the New York Dolls and the Ramones in their hey day, not realizing they were there tearing through the formulaic sludge that was so prevalent. In my opinion, rock and roll is either ready for a new renaissance or it has already reached its evolutionary apex.

In the interview linked below conducted by Pharrell Williams, Henry Rollins talks about the importance of breaking the mold. He also talks about diversity of the music similar to what you were saying, Hedonist. If it sounds good to you, it's good. I'm really glad I learned to appreciate a wide variety of music. I had friends in school who turned me on (with much resistance at first) to jazz, especially great lesser know artists at the time like Sun Ra, Albert Ayler and Cecil Taylor.

Here's the interview. If your a Rollins fan, set aside 25 minute, it's really good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6H0oIcbMzs
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Why the fuck do rock 'n' roll musicians even need a hall of fame? Is it so people don't forget them? What is it with these folks like athletes, musicians and actors and so on with their award shows and their hall of fames ... talk about people with giant sized ego's ... and for doing what? nothing really! just entertaining people thats all, they really don't deserve hall of fames or award shows ... imo.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Why the fuck do rock 'n' roll musicians even need a hall of fame? Is it so people don't forget them? What is it with these folks like athletes, musicians and actors and so on with their award shows and their hall of fames ... talk about people with giant sized ego's ... and for doing what? nothing really! just entertaining people thats all, they really don't deserve hall of fames or award shows ... imo.

yes I don't believe I ever watched and entire awards show of any type...my opinion of who gets a grammy and who gets this or that is rarely the same as the judges who decide the winners, there are so many tallented people in the enterainment and sports world world that get paid very well and I'm glad that all of them get the rewards for their time and work but if the world wants to blow smoke up someones ass maybe we should rerward the people that work their ass's off to be able to afford the high price of a concert ticket or the ticket price for the big game or pay for the movie ticket or buy the DVD ...after all we are the people that put the money in their pockets,without the common working stiff there are no movie stars no rock stars no football,baseball,basketball stars.....so how about a fan aperication awards show ? or an awards show for the people that build this country and go home at the end of the day with the selfless victory knowing they helped turn the wheeles of progress, how about the people that volenteer to build homes and bring water to places and people that need it, it's nice to have enterainment but how about the working people who build it ?............wahooooo I just ran off a rant and it's your fault Lukin. :lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

yes I don't believe I ever watched and entire awards show of any type...my opinion of who gets a grammy and who gets this or that is rarely the same as the judges who decide the winners, there are so many tallented people in the enterainment and sports world world that get paid very well and I'm glad that all of them get the rewards for their time and work but if the world wants to blow smoke up someones ass maybe we should rerward the people that work their ass's off to be able to afford the high price of a concert ticket or the ticket price for the big game or pay for the movie ticket or buy the DVD ...after all we are the people that put the money in their pockets,without the common working stiff there are no movie stars no rock stars no football,baseball,basketball stars.....so how about a fan aperication awards show ? or an awards show for the people that build this country and go home at the end of the day with the selfless victory knowing they helped turn the wheeles of progress, how about the people that volenteer to build homes and bring water to places and people that need it, it's nice to have enterainment but how about the working people who build it ?............wahooooo I just ran off a rant and it's your fault Lukin. :lol:

Godfather.

Rant away ... And yes your right we should celebrate the hard working folks, busting their ass just to put food on their table. As for the price of concert and sporting events, it's out of control for the average joe. I myself attend any of said events rarely ... Just getting too expensive.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Godfather.

Rant away ... And yes your right we should celebrate the hard working folks, busting their ass just to put food on their table. As for the price of concert and sporting events, it's out of control for the average joe. I myself attend any of said events rarely ... Just getting too expensive.

I tried to get tickets for the PJ show here in san diego but the nose bleeder seats are like 83 bucks or so....just can't swing it right now.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Yeah, 83 for nose bleed is high.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    I won't be happy with the HOF until The Mismatched Plaids (seen below) are inducted.

mmplaid-2.jpg
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    I won't be happy with the HOF until The Mismatched Plaids (seen below) are inducted.

mmplaid-2.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Yeah, 83 for nose bleed is high.

The problem when the band doesn't tier their ticket prices... :|
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    http://t.co/DOEyBn2mNS

Snippet about PJ at the bottom
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I wonder if Eddie will be attending this years induction, anyone hear/read anything about it?

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2014
    Chad Channing, 1st drummer for Nirvana, being dissed by the RRHOF. Same for Pat Smear.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog_files/Nirvana_Chad_Channing_Inducted.html

Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Idris said:

I wonder if Eddie will be attending this years induction, anyone hear/read anything about it?

I only ask this because (apparently) Johnny Ramon on his deathbed (may he rest in peace) had a few? last wishes, one of them was for Cat Stevens to be inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame(?)

If I'm correct, this was told to Eddie, and Eddie (along with some other musicians?) Wrote? a letter to the Hall of Fame president about having Cat Stevens inducted.

I remember reading that years ago, not sure of how accurate it was/is.