Options

Is Sirens the most polarizing PJ song ever?!

Comments

• Options
    Embarrassing how?[/quote]

Have you seen the comparisons and heard the song?

I think Pink Floyd was one of the only good bands I've seen mentioned and that was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h[/quote]

Life tends to work out better when you don't care what other people think.[/quote]

I made the majority of comparisons myself. Pink Floyd was not among them.

I know a terrible song when I hear one, the same way I know if something I eat tastes bad.

There's GAZILLIONS of terrible songs people love. It's not the end of the world.

If it's your kind of song...by all means please enjoy it.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    edited September 2013

I'd be surprised if this ever became a big radio hit and they already have one right now with MYM I think it's currently number 2 and there's nothing at all wrong with that song.

I don't think anyone has any problems with PJ being radio superstars and having every song on the radio. This one is just a little embarrassing IMHO.

Embarrassing how?

Have you seen the comparisons and heard the song?

I think Pink Floyd was one of the only good bands I've seen mentioned and that was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

I have heard the song, and love it, so that doesnt apply here for me, obviously it does you... :-)

That said, I have heard the comparisons....Nickelback, Warrant, Damn Yankees or what have you. Fact remains that all those bands and their songs/records were popular with the masses and we, the closed minded, elitist effs that we are, cant fathom that "our" band be grouped into that circle with them, let alone be compared to or have successes like them. I guess I have never bought into that whole line of thinking. While Nickleback may not be my complete cup of tea(I do like some of there songs :o ), they were successful in what they did somehow and I have no problem with that , or the comparisons made to other bands I dont care for. I hope Sirens becomes the biggest hit they have ever had and that people "say holy shit, they are still around?" and jump feet first onto the Pearl Jam bandwagon and we(some folks) will welcome them with open arms and read there posts and laugh and criticize and make fun or and get mad and yell and scream and become the entitled group that we think we are and have reserved the right to be..... I am not discounting your feelings for the song or direction you feel the band are headed and am not trying to sway you in any way, just calling it like I see it from the view a top MY soapbox! ;-)
    Post edited by pjtradeking on
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options

I know a terrible song when I hear one, the same way I know if something I eat tastes bad.

I like Thai food. My wife doesn't.
    My friend likes sushi. I think it's disgusting.
    Some people think lobster is the greatest food ever invented. I think it's too fishy tasting.
    My brother gets his pizza from Pizza Hut. I prefer Papa John's.

See how that works? Same with art and music. There is no right or wrong answer, so stop trying to argue that there is.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Regardless of people's feelings about this particular song, I think the fact it has created so much passionate reaction is a good thing, for us and for the band. The countdown clock, the tour announcement, Mind Your Manners, the artwork, now Sirens...these guys have given us an interesting couple of months (or whatever it's been) of debate. I'm even more excited than I was about the album and tour now, as I'm sure we're in for a good time.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options

Some people think lobster is the greatest food ever invented. I think it's too fishy tasting.

See how that works? Same with art and music. There is no right or wrong answer, so stop trying to argue that there is.

I go through phases with Sushi and Lobster. Local shops with thin crust anytime over the big chains. Oh yeah, I used to hate veggies when I was a kid and know I love them. Shit, what were we talking about again???

:D
  • Options

Yes exactly...now you get it.

You like the song I don't.

You are the lucky one...as you have a new good song to listen to and I am the unlucky one because I don't have a new good song to listen to.

It's unfortunate for those of us that don't like it...
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options

You are the lucky one...as you have a new good song to listen to and I am the unlucky one because I don't have a new good song to listen to.

It really is too bad. My condolences. Wish everyone could experience these same goosebumps. I mean that sincerely.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103

It really is too bad. My condolences. Wish everyone could experience these same goosebumps. I mean that sincerely.

Are you reading some R.L. Stine?
  • Options
    Polarizing is a good word.

then i typed up a bunch of other shit and erased it all.

Polarizing. It is a really good word.
  • Options

I would vote for Bushleaguer as the most polarizing PJ song ever over a brand new song that hasn't been spun nearly enough yet...
  • Options

I would vote for Bushleaguer as the most polarizing PJ song ever over a brand new song that hasn't been spun nearly enough yet...
    I just like the word. not sure where it fits best.
    Michael Jackson was polarizing.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh wrote:

Are you reading some R.L. Stine?

I see what you did there. :D
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options

I know exactly what you mean. I, too, wish everyone could experience the joy I feel when I listen to Sirens-even makes my heart beat a little faster. However, as was already stated, everyone has their own taste when it comes to music. It seems with Sirens, you either love it or hate it. I happen to love it! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Very few people have said- that songs okay. Its either I love it or I hate it :lol:
    That is true. I am one of the few. I neither love it nor hate it. It just makes me feel kind of awkward and like I don't know where I stand. :lol: I do not at all understand why others loving or hating it give a shit if someone else loves it or hates it though (aside from being happy for those who are bananas for the song). And I have seen mud slinging from both sides, not just from those who hate it. Those who love it are having a very difficult time respecting the opinions of those who hate it or have not good things to say about it, as though loving this song is a requirement for loving or.understanding the band itself. That's annoying.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

I wish I'd been around for that!! It must have been mayhem. :lol:
    (I really like Bu$hleaguer, and love Riot Act as a whole. One of my top albums)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

(I really like Bu$hleaguer, and love Riot Act as a whole. One of my top albums)

Only saw it once and there was this huge dude giving Eddie both barrels from the crowd. I think there are some good YouTube videos out there on some of the performances. Definate Mayhem AND Polarizing...
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    not by a long shot Just Breathe which some refer to as Just Go Away :lol:
  • Options
    I would vote for Bushleaguer as the most polarizing PJ song ever over a brand new song that hasn't been spun nearly enough yet...[/quote]
    (I really like Bu$hleaguer, and love Riot Act as a whole. One of my top albums)[/quote]

Only saw it once and there was this huge dude giving Eddie both barrels from the crowd. I think there are some good YouTube videos out there on some of the performances. Definate Mayhem AND Polarizing...[/quote]

Here is Exhibit A (and case closed):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtdheeJsdEg
  • Options
    I guess we forgot how polarized we got when No Code came out... And look now, a few years later. This whole Sirens things will blow over. Like I stated: it has to do with expectations and nothing else. The hype didn't help. Maybe they should have dropped this song on us silently *without* the Black comparisons.

That said: we only get polarized if we let ourselves get polarized...
  • Options
    I guess we forgot how polarized we got when No Code came out... And look now, a few years later. This whole Sirens things will blow over. Like I stated: it has to do with expectations and nothing else. The hype didn't help. Maybe they should have dropped this song on us silently *without* the Black comparisons.

I didn't but into the hype do I wasn't expecting a new Black. I just think its mediocre, lyrics aside. Glad so many are finding things to love about it and all the different ways it's relating to people's lives.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh wrote:

I didn't but into the hype do I wasn't expecting a new Black. I just think its mediocre, lyrics aside. Glad so many are finding things to love about it and all the different ways it's relating to people's lives.

*buy *so
  • Options
    EarlWelsh wrote:

And in return, I like the way that some people don't like it, or as much, and can motivate it without becoming overtly insulting. I am always for content and would love a content based debate. Some of the point raised made me also reflect on the song. May not have changed my opinion, but made me def. reflect. That is what a good debate should do.

And ps; got your spelling mistakes. Made tons myself here. I don't even borther editing anymore ;)

Oops. meant bother ;)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Not sure since the song has only been out for 2 days. Last Kiss might be, though. That's a song people either loved or hated. No in-between. So far it seems to me that most people love this song, including me.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    9LTUTsY.jpg
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Lukinz wrote:
    9LTUTsY.jpg
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Nope. Just the newest.

Ever heard of bushleager?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Isn't one (but just one) of the purposes of rock and roll to stir the pot, stir the shit, revolt, cause skepticism, polarize and generally just cause trouble. I think a song like Bu$hleager is more suited to that. But then the fuss over Sirens is more about style and style comes and goes (or is retread). Odd that this one song is getting so much hoopla. Will we do the same with each and every new on on LB? This could go on for quite some time. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

You know I respect you, O22. I've been reading your posts awhile now and you've always been intelligent with what you say and basically respectful when you say it. But I sure hope you're wrong. Not only about the album, not only about fans leaving in droves (which would be a shame), but about our band being dead. These are the same guys that wrote all the stuff we love. I just can't believe there's not one redeeming song in the whole lot for you. Please. Say it ain't so, O.

Kimmie, that is very sweet of you to write. You're awesome and one of the examples of why it's been so great to hang out around here for the last 10 or so years.

Hell, I've loved this band for what? almost 23 years? I even have them tattooed on my arm! I'll always love them but people change. Pearl Jam has changed and I have to accept that and move on. It's cool that you and others like the direction they've taken but it's just not for me. I'll still be going to the upcoming shows and won't be letting my membership laps or anything like that but this is my last post and visit to the forums. I don't have anything positive left to say and don't want to continue being a snarky asshole. I've made a lot of friends on here and wish you guys all the best. Hope you all enjoy the new music and shows.

All my best,

Jonathan
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    october22 wrote:

You know I respect you, O22. I've been reading your posts awhile now and you've always been intelligent with what you say and basically respectful when you say it. But I sure hope you're wrong. Not only about the album, not only about fans leaving in droves (which would be a shame), but about our band being dead. These are the same guys that wrote all the stuff we love. I just can't believe there's not one redeeming song in the whole lot for you. Please. Say it ain't so, O.

Kimmie, that is very sweet of you to write. You're awesome and one of the examples of why it's been so great to hang out around here for the last 10 or so years.

Hell, I've loved this band for what? almost 23 years? I even have them tattooed on my arm! I'll always love them but people change. Pearl Jam has changed and I have to accept that and move on. It's cool that you and others like the direction they've taken but it's just not for me. I'll still be going to the upcoming shows and won't be letting my membership laps or anything like that but this is my last post and visit to the forums. I don't have anything positive left to say and don't want to continue being a snarky asshole. I've made a lot of friends on here and wish you guys all the best. Hope you all enjoy the new music and shows.

All my best,

Jonathan
    Damn it!!
    Well just know you will be missed! I'll miss your sarcasm, wit and general overall unique point if view. :-(
  • Options
    I fell exactly the way you do... I have nothing good to say about the band or the Ten Club anymore. The music has gone downhill and all anyone cares about is merchandise. It's a joke! I still can't get over the fake Amsterdam trip giveaway to Jeff's friend. Everything that I post now is absolutely negative and I'm embarrassed when I read it back. I had seen 91 shows up through the '08 "Verizon" tour and was so disgusted at that point I boycotted shows for 5 years until Wrigley. I'm still trying to comprehend Wrigley... The band, the fans, it's like a whole different animal now. It's like a scripted corporate Broadway play. Just makes my stomach turn. With that, I join you in not posting or visiting the forums anymore.

Peace, love & empathy,
    Haywood

october22 wrote:

All my best,

Jonathan