Options

Is Sirens the most polarizing PJ song ever?!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    igotid88 wrote:
    If they released "Black" today it would get the same treatment as Sirens

Probably true, but I don't think if you replace it with Sirens, on Ten, that Sirens becomes one of the biggest songs of their career/ one of the biggest single songs of their career and non-single singles ever, from any band.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    igotid88 wrote:

I have to disagree. Hard to say why but to me they're on totally different playing fields.
  • Options
    I thought Sirens and the rest of them that of course i have not heard yet were all really good songs and i was excited for lightning bolt - then i listened to Riot Act and Binurual (big mistake) and now i think the lb stuff sounds like another attempt to make music for "everyone" whereas the old stuff was NOT FOR YOU.

#justsayin
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    edited September 2013
    I thought Sirens and the rest of them that of course i have not heard yet were all really good songs and i was excited for lightning bolt - then i listened to Riot Act and Binurual (big mistake) and now i think the lb stuff sounds like another attempt to make music for "everyone" whereas the old stuff was NOT FOR YOU.

#justsayin

Yes. Music that everyone else hates is so much more fun. :roll:

I realize back in the day Pearl Jam needed to pull back and make inaccessible music in order to survive, but I think it's refreshing that they've reached a stage where they can make the music they want to make without worrying about how it will be categorized or that (HORROR!) lots of people might actually want to listen to it.

EDIT: That said, I don't think Sirens is the top 40 radio hit everyone on here seems to think it is destined to be. It doesn't sound like any top 40 radio that gets played in my neck of the woods, for instance. Even though it's "poppy" and "power ballad-y" it is still just askew enough to be a Pearl Jam song. There isn't really a catchy "Call Me Maybe" chorus to speak of, or any super obvious hooks.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Probably true, but I don't think if you replace it with Sirens, on Ten, that Sirens becomes one of the biggest songs of their career/ one of the biggest single songs of their career and non-single singles ever, from any band.

I think I might disagree with this. Not because Sirens is a better song, or even a comparable one. I just think you are underestimating or misremembering the intensity of the Pearl Jam machine and "grunge" movement during that time.

Anything they touched turned to gold.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    DewieCox wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

I think I might disagree with this. Not because Sirens is a better song, or even a comparable one. I just think you are underestimating or misremembering the intensity of the Pearl Jam machine and "grunge" movement during that time.

Anything they touched turned to gold.

Well I wasn't quite old enough to really remember, but I know from reading up on PJ and having a presence on PJ boards since 2000 that Black might be the single song most responsible for their hardcore following. They were begged to release it as a single, but refused to keep things under control, but the song was still able to draw hordes of fans without getting a proper single release.

There are quite a few songs from that era that have become afterthoughts, but Black still stands as one of their signature songs.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    DewieCox wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

At that time if it was released as a single and with a video. It would had been a big hit.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,555
    Cannot....
    Stop....
    Listening....
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}