Options

comment on RS.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    What it comes down to for me is feeling like the fans care more than they do at this point. I do agree that it sounded like O'Brien was frustrated with them. Every new album I hope for something great, even though we know better if we use music history as a guide. Very few late career masterpieces. I get frustrated feeling like this band could have been even more important and relevant in music history and I feel like it is because they chose it to be that way. When you hear the songs they leave off of albums or do not finish it just speaks to their desire to always turn away from what would be easy. There are days I admire it and days that it frustrates to no end.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mca47 wrote:
    I tend to agree with the OP.
    I used to get excited when PJ was about to release a new album. Some may say "you're getting older and have other priorities now" which may be true...but I'm a music lover and always will be. I was excited for Avocado coming off of my least favorite album Riot Act. I was hoping for something fresh, new, exciting. Couple good songs but for the most part...meh. Backspacer was not a good album. Again, a couple good songs...but for the time they apparently put into that album to release THAT! :fp:
    Now we have "Lightning Bolt" to look forward to. :yawn: I got to hear three songs off of it at Wrigley and there is absolutely nothing new there.
    PJ has gotten stale. Still put on a good show live....but even that has become a bit predictable of late.

A lot of it is simply a matter of taste, personal preference and how one's tastes evolve. Personally, Backspacer is my favorite Pearl Jam album since Yield. And it's not really close. Avocado would be second.

Those two albums hit me where I live, in that time and place. And it was a time and place I evolved into. I wouldn't have liked Backspacer as much if it came out in 2006. I wouldn't like Avocado so much if it came out now.

But here's the thing: YOU think they've gotten stale. YOU think Backspacer is no good. But just because you think that doesn't make it so for a lot of people.

I, on the other hand, find it difficult to say the band is "petering out" or has "lost its fire" when IMO their last album was their best work in over a decade.

Meanwhile, I listened to Future Days from Wrigley one time and -- I shit you not -- I wept. It spoke directly to my life at this point in time. It was like it was written specifically for me.

That this band can still do that to me at this jaded point in my life tells me I've got something special.

If you don't feel the same, that's cool. It happens to a lot of us when it comes to a lot of things we used to love. But, I have to admit, I kind of feel sorry for you. I wish you could feel what I feel when it comes to this band and some of these new songs.
    im not fan of Backspacer as you are,but im big FAN of your posts-comments!!
    i love to read you!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”