Options

why doesn't Pearl Jam play longer concerts

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Grand Rapids 2006 that would be the kind of show I am thinking about
    http://pearljam.com/setlists/1021/all/20438/van_andel_arena?ref_album_id=18592
    exactly that..that was 7 years ago,has preopepers..

if they play 2:40 and 20 min eddie talking between songs and encores are like 10 min each with band members teasing each others and singing happy birthday
    so we have 3 hours and 20 min set..at least some will say that seeing the bootleg..
    like belfast 10..was the longest of 2010..but yeah..we have like 5-10 min encore to say to o'brain happy birthday.. and film it..this isnt real time at performance but the bootleg was the longest..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    3h setlist that would realistic

Thumbing My Way
    Small Town
    Society
    Timeless Melody
    Off He Goes
    Around The Bend
    Parting Ways
    Army Reserve
    Sad
    Can't Keep
    Sunburn (unreleased PJ song with Stone singing)
    Bayleaf (Stone Gossard solo)
    Ghost
    Dirty Frank
    Little Wing with a long Mike McCready solo

and the band can fill in whatever songs they want to fill the other 1.5 hours, I seriously doubt a setlist like that would kill the band, most of you are looking at this from one angle, I am looking at this from a different one, Pearl Jam likes to mix up their setlists, obviously you cannot play Alive and Porch for 3 hours straight, but what is one of the most popular albums PJ has made amongst it's hardcore fans? Live at Benroya Hall, 3 hours of that will not kill the band,or 1.5 hours of that and 1.5 hours of normal hard rocking stuff would not either
    the most of the songs you add will work with acoustic set in..
    cant play an non acoustic show,and roickin like that in that age and ed screaming 3 hours..impossible

I don't want Ed screaming for 3 hours, but one or two shows a year where they throw in a 1 to 1.5 hours chill set where they are sitting down and Ed is shooting the shit with the crowd would be a really cool mix up
    good you said that.all those songs need to practice them too..for play live..
    they barely have time to do the new record,being busy with tour,solo tour,side projects..
    wrigley is a chance this to happen..but helps the fact they dont have any other show close except london,there is no opening band,and its a special thing with the historical venue etc
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I don't think the band need to play more songs, but i liked in 03 when listening to the bootlegs the show would just continue at a pace until it was done, whether it was 2hr to 3hrs, the show flowed through the encores more naturally. now they are kind of crammed and rushed and fit into the same time limit, and are also more predictable. I would enjoy some songs being drawn out a little more, just with jamming interludes and the band being a band.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    I don't think the band need to play more songs, but i liked in 03 when listening to the bootlegs the show would just continue at a pace until it was done, whether it was 2hr to 3hrs, the show flowed through the encores more naturally. now they are kind of crammed and rushed and fit into the same time limit, and are also more predictable. I would enjoy some songs being drawn out a little more, just with jamming interludes and the band being a band.

The 03 tour is such a treat to listen too.

But I would like the band to slow some songs down, take the time with them and extend the "epic" songs like NAIS and Given to fly with. I would skip 5 songs from the setlists to get this.

Quality over quantity. Even if the shows are 1:50h or 3h.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I agree with the op, and really cannot understand why some people jump all over him.

A 3 hour show is not just limited to Bruce. I am not discounting the physical toll that a performance takes on the band members bodies,but we as fans can expect our favorite band to give us the most they have to offer.

The op never said he wanted it every show. A couple each tour.

Stop making excuses for the guy who drinks a bottle of wine + at each show and is still smoking. If they wanted to do it, they could do it.

And for the record, if Bruce is on stage for 60 more minutes than Eddie, he is burning more calories and exerting more energy even if it is 4 hours of "Tom Joad".
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    PjdreamerPjdreamer Posts: 318
    Wtf
    Pjdreamer
  • Options
    And also, why should their goal be to play longer shows - just because Bruce decides to do so? They are not BRuce.

Neil Young and NIN don't play 3 hour shows and they still make them close to 100% perfect.

But if they pull out an extra 25 minutes of acoustic songs after Just Breathe in the first encore - why not? :) They have a lot of acoustic material that rarely gets played (or you have to go to an Eddie solo show for them.)

What if PJ played thier 2:20-2:30 shows but mixed up the setlists even more than they do? (swapping GTD/DTE/Even Flow/ Yellow Ledbetter/Alive/Porch/Rocking in the Free Road etc for other songs more often than they do?) That would be nice :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    Are there any other "mainstream" acts that play longer ON AVERAGE besides Bruce?

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    :lol: Dude this band spoils us already, most bands go 90 minutes tops :roll:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'm on the "hell yeah go ahead and play 3 hours train". They just need to back off the tempo of the plethora of songs that have gotten way too fast and add a few more . Slowing stuff down is gonna help Ed with the singing too. I don't think it would be as difficult as some are making it out to be.

The notion that their songs are too difficult to play for that long seems pretty ridiculous to me. If Rush can play their tunes for 3 hours, anybody can. You think Cameron is a machine, you've obviously never watched Neil Peart play drums.

I think they've gotten too lazy or disinterested as a band to pull it off, though. They can't seem to even find the time to rehearse properly or record a few songs.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think they've gotten too lazy or disinterested as a band to pull it off, though. They can't seem to even find the time to rehearse properly or record a few songs.

Eddie: "We don't need to rehearse" (before the 09 tour I think) And who fucks up the songs most often? Eddie with the lyrics... hehe.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    Spencer wrote:
    Geez, aren't they long enough already? You just about need to bring a packed lunch.
    that made me laugh.. :lol:

Me too. 2-2 1/2 hours is plenty. I'm exhausted after that, I'm sure they are too
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I'm on the "hell yeah go ahead and play 3 hours train". They just need to back off the tempo of the plethora of songs that have gotten way too fast and add a few more . Slowing stuff down is gonna help Ed with the singing too. I don't think it would be as difficult as some are making it out to be.

The notion that their songs are too difficult to play for that long seems pretty ridiculous to me. If Rush can play their tunes for 3 hours, anybody can. You think Cameron is a machine, you've obviously never watched Neil Peart play drums.

Agree with this. Unthought Known is like a minute faster live
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Are there any other "mainstream" acts that play longer ON AVERAGE besides Bruce?

Nope, none even close. DMB, whether you like him or not tours relentlessly and usually plays only 2 hours, about 18 songs all with extended jams.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour....they cant even take breathes after 2 hours show..
    its impossible with the energy they play their shows..at that age..

thats why they are the best band in the planet..cos their live shows has the same top high quility always..
    and no need fancy clothes or lights or scenes to make the show better..
    its the best already..

if they do a 60 shows tour and 3 hours set,the quality will go down right away..

no have to mention..there are bands out there that tix prices are double than pj and plays 45-60 min show only..

i respect Bruce,he is huge..amazing..but he cant do what eddie does on stage for more time than eddie

Have you been a Springsteen show DImi? He's knocks PJ out the park. He has far more energy than Ed at a gig, the guy is a machine. He's called The Boss for a reason. And he does this 3hours plus EVERY NIGHT. No 10 or 12 shows over 3 weeks. 89 gigs he played last year. He's got another 44 gigs scheduled for this year already.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    AC257443AC257443 Posts: 41
    Saw the boss at abravanel hall (where the symphony plays) in slc a looong time ago. Very laid back venue with bruce perched on a barstool most of the show, which was about 3.5 hrs long. pj at the e center in slc in 2009 was about 2.5 hrs long. Since the comparison was brought up....there is no comparison between the two. No way the boss could match the energy pj put out for that amount of time, it was electric and I felt exhausted. If they push 3hrs at Wrigley, no matter the setlist, well then life will be good! Can't fucking wait....
    PJ Wolf Mountain '94 (rained out...arrrgh!!)
    PJ Salt Lake City '95
    PJ Salt Lake City '09
    EV Las Vegas '12
    PJ Chicago '13
    PJ Denver '14
    TOTD Seattle '16
    PJ Seattle '18
    PJ San Diego '20 (fucking Covid)
    PJ San Diego '22
    PJ Las Vegas '22 (fucking Covid)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    AmyMoore wrote:
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour..
    its impossible with the energy they play their shows..at that age..

if they do a 60 shows tour and 3 hours set,the quality will go down right away..

Back when they used to play 60 show tours, they were young enough to play 3 hours every night :D

They haven't had a hard tour schedule since 96. Maybe 98, because that Hawaii to NZ, then to Melbourne travel was a kick in the ass. We were all flying commercial on the same flights ;)

Even in years with a lot of shows (2006 is the most recent example), rarely back to back shows, a few rare 3 nights in a row, 3 week long leg, with a minimum of 2 weeks off between legs.

To debunk the myth that 21st century PJ doesn't tour i would like to point out that the 2006 world tour had the most shows of any year since 1992
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Name another hard rock band that plays 30 songs and 2.5 hours per night with a totally,different set every night?

Some of you folks are fucking crazy and flat out greedy :roll:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I think their sets are likely tailored to keep the band excited to play, able to maintain a level of quality, and perhaps their own sanity/drive/motivation.

Bruce is a fucking anomaly. A robot, or an alien.

I've played in bands for awhile, and it is not easy to do what they do. In fact, I'm amazed they can go as long as they do for multiple nights in a row.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I guess my new favorite thing is to complain about how much people complain.

Now PJ concerts aren't long enough?? Is this really what it's come to from the "fans". Wow. :lol:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

I've played in bands for awhile, and it is not easy to do what they do. In fact, I'm amazed they can go as long as they do for multiple nights in a row.

Exactly. Well said!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

Now PJ concerts aren't long enough?? Is this really what it's come to from the "fans". Wow. :lol:
    Yeah.... I figure when it ain't broke, don't fix it. People are fans largely because PJ has one of the best live shows... so why are people saying it should change? Seems to me that they already are doing it right, judging g from the fan reaction after each performance.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Most bands you'll find that are doing three-hour shows are jam bands. Now, I like some of these groups but that's not what I come to PJ for. Pearl Jam is not now, nor have they ever been, a jam band. They're a rock band that delivers amazing live versions of all their songs. And, given some of the meandering versions of RVM I've heard, I'm not sure they should be. I'd rather see 25-30 songs from this band any day before seeing a 14-minute version of Corduroy. That's not what they do. I would like to see deeper cuts that we've been getting as of late, but the shows are plenty satisfying
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    I personally enjoy the shows when Eddie is chilling out telling stories makes it a much more special experience, one or two shows a year like that won't kill the band, they could put them on DVD and sell video bootlegs of those shows through the 10c only, which I hope they do for London and Wrigley, never enough Pearl Jam for me, we all love the band and their music and that is a common thread that unites us
  • Options
    Next will come people complaining about PJ releasing too many albums in the last few years. :fp:

• Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    ed243421 wrote:
    I would have the same problem with this as I do with sex

Around 4 hours in I start getting bored

:lol: too funny!
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    AC257443 wrote:
    Saw the boss at abravanel hall (where the symphony plays) in slc a looong time ago. Very laid back venue with bruce perched on a barstool most of the show, which was about 3.5 hrs long. pj at the e center in slc in 2009 was about 2.5 hrs long. Since the comparison was brought up....there is no comparison between the two. No way the boss could match the energy pj put out for that amount of time, it was electric and I felt exhausted. If they push 3hrs at Wrigley, no matter the setlist, well then life will be good! Can't fucking wait....

Bruce is in great shape and shows it. I haven't seen him in person but everything I have seen on TV he puts a ton of energy into his performances. That being said, maybe its a bit of an illusion because when he sings, his face and neck strain so hard he looks like hes been constipated for a week. He also seems to sweat profusely which may add to the illusion that he is putting out more energy that he really is. ;)

To answer the OP. I have always been impressed by the length and their shows and don't need them to be any longer. I wouldn't complain if they did but I am happy with 28-30 songs. Besides Eds voice is usually trash by the end of a show. Maybe if he didn't drink so much during the show and quit smoking it wouldn't be but he does and it is.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Not sure if it's been said (too lazy to read the entire thread today) but Bruce played right up until Midnight at Wrigley.

Here's hoping for a repeat for the boys in PJ.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    And Rush is a non-jam band that has been playing 3 hour shows for years.

With that said, if anyone has seen G'n'R lately, they play 3+ hours and are really boring. But each person in the band has their own solo and I'm not sure the people in the crowd can even name all the musicians in the band let alone want to see/hear them solo.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    JB128716 wrote:
    And Rush is a non-jam band that has been playing 3 hour shows for years.

With that said, if anyone has seen G'n'R lately, they play 3+ hours and are really boring. But each person in the band has their own solo and I'm not sure the people in the crowd can even name all the musicians in the band let alone want to see/hear them solo.

You mean Axl can sing for 3 hours? I find that hard to believe considering he about collapsed during that performance on MTV awards about 10 years ago.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.