Options

Nate Silver

Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
edited November 2012 in A Moving Train
This will probably get no responses, but Nate Silver has been getting absolutely butchered by the media. In 2008 he picked 49 of 50 states correctly and has been trashed over and over, so you know what, he just went out and picked 50 out of 50.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah and with some states that everyone was saying were out of reach.
  • Options
    he'll be the most sought after interview on all of the shows now.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    nate silver is awesome, i think i beat him by one in the senate though, he had montana going against tester, i had it going for him, thats our only differences.

on a side note, EVERYONE go buy his book now, will teach you alot about stats, predictions, and betting.... 3 of my favourite things
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    satansbed wrote:
    nate silver is awesome, i think i beat him by one in the senate though, he had montana going against tester, i had it going for him, thats our only differences.

on a side note, EVERYONE go buy his book now, will teach you alot about stats, predictions, and betting.... 3 of my favourite things

Haven't heard yet- did Tester loose? Is that race decided?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    brianlux wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

tester is still too close to call per fox and msnbc.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    brianlux wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

its not decided but tester is ahead as of now, silvers model had it going against him, but in fairness montana was the only state that his model could have gone against him... his model had the state fundementals at r+8, which balanced out testers lead in the opinion polls, but his model couldn't take into fact the odd local race that was going on in montana and tester who lost three fingers in a farm accident is possibly the most Montanan person in a race that was all about who was the most Montanan.

tester is also the on balance is the most right wing democrat, which is understandable coming from the state he comes from, hes possibly the only democrat who could ever get elected in montana
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

its not decided but tester is ahead as of now, silvers model had it going against him, but in fairness montana was the only state that his model could have gone against him... his model had the state fundementals at r+8, which balanced out testers lead in the opinion polls, but his model couldn't take into fact the odd local race that was going on in montana and tester who lost three fingers in a farm accident is possibly the most Montanan person.

tester is also the on balance is the most right wing democrat, which is understandable coming from the state he comes from, hes possibly the only democrat who could ever get elected in montana

I've been reading a lot about Montana over the last month and yes, if you're at all progressive you still need a little mud on your shoes and a good understanding of the history and people.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I'm not a religious man, but I followed Nate Silvers blog like a religion. Amen he was right.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    dignin wrote:
    I'm not a religious man, but I followed Nate Silvers blog like a religion. Amen he was right.
    +1
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,457
    dignin wrote:

Yep, me too.

Scarborough's attack on Silver was absurd and unfounded.

Funny how reason and sound analysis can beat out "gut feelings."

"This race is razor tight"
    "It's a tossup"
    "Romney's going to win PA, wave election, blah blah"
    :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    dignin wrote:

538 was my crack addiction for the last 40+ days, i am going through withdrawals this morning.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this excerpt from another story on thestar.com

The media personality with perhaps the most on the line was Nate Silver of The New York Times, whose FiveThirtyEight blog was sought out by 20 per cent of the people who visited the newspaper’s website on Monday. He has used statistical data throughout the campaign to predict an Obama victory and by Tuesday, had forecast a 90.9 per cent chance that Obama would win.

After Obama’s victory became clear, Gavin Purcell, producer of “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” tweeted that “Nate Silver is the only white male winning tonight.”

CNN’s Piers Morgan tweeted Silver an invitation to appear on his show Wednesday.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,634
    I think he's on either Cobert or Stewart tonight.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Honestly, it reminded me of the old baseball purists attacking the folks who believed in the theories of Bill James.

Statistics, when not manipulated with predetermined bias, are powerful.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I never heard of this guy until everyone started posting about him on FB the night before the election. But why would the media give him a hard time? Seems like he's about the only person whose perspective is worth listening to.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    I guessed Romney would take it with 279. Silver said Obama with 313.

I think I should stop making predictions....or I should stop being such a pessimist.

Four more years....woot!
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Predictions are a super nerdy thing to do, but here's what I predicted on Nov 4:

https://twitter.com/kennyolav/status/265155705781227521
  • Options
    btw, I hadn't known of Nate Silver's prediction until the day after the election.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    Predictions are a super nerdy thing to do, but here's what I predicted on Nov 4:

Impressive, soothsayer.

Can you tell me the date of my death?
  • Options
    whygohome wrote:
    kenny olav wrote:

Impressive, soothsayer.

Can you tell me the date of my death?

That I cannot do, but may you live long and prosper.

obamatrek.jpg
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    I never heard of this guy until everyone started posting about him on FB the night before the election. But why would the media give him a hard time? Seems like he's about the only person whose perspective is worth listening to.

Because he's a nerdy, bespectacled gay guy that the conservative press said was "effeminate" and that he was cherry picking polls and skewing results to boost the morale of democrats. Cuz if there's anything they hate more than a democrat, it's an effeminate one.

Because it's illegal to ACTUALLY shoot the messenger, they decided to shit-talk him and rip him to pieces.

But his book jumped 800% in sales yesterday, so I'm sure he's too busy sleeping on a big bed of money with a bunch of Ambercrombie greeters to care.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    _ wrote:

Because he's a nerdy, bespectacled gay guy that the conservative press said was "effeminate" and that he was cherry picking polls and skewing results to boost the morale of democrats. Cuz if there's anything they hate more than a democrat, it's an effeminate one.

Because it's illegal to ACTUALLY shoot the messenger, they decided to shit-talk him and rip him to pieces.

But his book jumped 800% in sales yesterday, so I'm sure he's too busy sleeping on a big bed of money with a bunch of Ambercrombie greeters to care.

So, not that it makes an absolute ounce of a difference, but I had absolutely no clue that Nate Silver is gay until I read this and I have been reading him since the Baseball Prospectus days, being the baseball nerd that I am.
  • Options
    Interesting "shoot the messenger"/ Nate Silver article:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=13366%3Cbr

Trying to shoot the messenger

"Does this sound familiar? A quantitative prediction is inconvenient for some heavily invested folks. Legitimate questions about methodology morph quickly into accusations that the researchers have put their thumb on the scale and that they are simply making their awkward predictions to feather their own nest. Others loudly proclaim that the methodology could never work and imply that anyone who knows anything knows that -it’s simply common sense! Audit sites spring up to re-process the raw data and produce predictions more to the liking of their audience. People who have actually championed the methods being used, and so really should know better, indulge in some obvious wish-casting (i.e. forecasting what you would like to be true, despite the absence of any evidence to support it).

Contrarian attacks on climate science, right?

Actually no. This was assorted conservative punditry attacking Nate Silver (of the 538 blog) because his (Bayesian) projections for Tuesday’s election didn’t accord with what they wanted to hear. The leap from asking questions to cherry-picking, accusations of malfeasance and greed, audits, denial, and wish-casting was quite rapid, but it followed a very familiar pattern. People who value their personal attachments above objective knowledge seem to spend an inordinate amount of time finding reasons to dismiss the messenger when they don’t like the message.

Fortunately for Nate, all it took was one day, and reality came crashing down on his critics entire imaginary world.

For climate science, it will probably take a little longer…
    "

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So, not that it makes an absolute ounce of a difference, but I had absolutely no clue that Nate Silver is gay until I read this and I have been reading him since the Baseball Prospectus days, being the baseball nerd that I am.

He's now such a sensation, today I pitched a movie called "Polling The Electorate" that features a bespectacled nerdy pollster.

Played by Jesse Jackman.

OK... so.. maybe Jesse's a bit bigger. He still wears glasses.

(you know that Jared Max is gay too, right? He's an ESPN sports caster. His radio show kicks ass.)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah I also had no idea. Seems more nerdy/awkward than effeminate. But whatever.

Funny thing about conservatives hating him is that when he is wrong, it's usually in their direction.

His wrong state in 2008 was Indiana, which he picked R and went D.

He was wrong on the North Dakota senate, which he picked R and went D. Jon Stewart blasted him on that one. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    being the baseball nerd that I am.

And you're a Yankees fan?

That sucks.
    ( :mrgreen: )
  • Options
    He's now such a sensation, today I pitched a movie called "Polling The Electorate" that features a bespectacled nerdy pollster.

Your shit creeps me out a little, but I guess somebody has to make those movies. That's a pretty funny idea. 8-)

• Options
    That's a pretty funny idea. 8-)

Yeah... I try to keep it as PG-13 as I can here. While I'm sorry if it "creeps you out," now you know how I feel watching every James Bond movie that wastes miles of film on women slinking around in bikinis and while James leers at them. Or when my well-meaning straight friends invite me to their bachelor parties and think it would be funny to get a woman to do a lap dance for me.

I digress.

Sadly, the ideas that are deemed "funny" aren't ever taken at the studio I work for. We don't do comedy. And I've got an exclusive contract so I can't take my funny ideas anywhere else and they either just die there on the table or I dash out quick script and hand it off to a friend who then turns around and makes a million bucks on it.

Oh well.
  • Options
    That's a pretty funny idea. 8-)

Yeah... I try to keep it as PG-13 as I can here. While I'm sorry if it "creeps you out," now you know how I feel watching every James Bond movie that wastes miles of film on women slinking around in bikinis and while James leers at them. Or when my well-meaning straight friends invite me to their bachelor parties and think it would be funny to get a woman to do a lap dance for me.

I digress.

Sadly, the ideas that are deemed "funny" aren't ever taken at the studio I work for. We don't do comedy. And I've got an exclusive contract so I can't take my funny ideas anywhere else and they either just die there on the table or I dash out quick script and hand it off to a friend who then turns around and makes a million bucks on it.

Oh well.

I see your point. The world would be a lot more boring if we all liked the same things.

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    brianlux wrote:
    Interesting "shoot the messenger"/ Nate Silver article:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=13366%3Cbr

Trying to shoot the messenger

"Does this sound familiar? A quantitative prediction is inconvenient for some heavily invested folks. Legitimate questions about methodology morph quickly into accusations that the researchers have put their thumb on the scale and that they are simply making their awkward predictions to feather their own nest. Others loudly proclaim that the methodology could never work and imply that anyone who knows anything knows that -it’s simply common sense! Audit sites spring up to re-process the raw data and produce predictions more to the liking of their audience. People who have actually championed the methods being used, and so really should know better, indulge in some obvious wish-casting (i.e. forecasting what you would like to be true, despite the absence of any evidence to support it).

Contrarian attacks on climate science, right?

Actually no. This was assorted conservative punditry attacking Nate Silver (of the 538 blog) because his (Bayesian) projections for Tuesday’s election didn’t accord with what they wanted to hear. The leap from asking questions to cherry-picking, accusations of malfeasance and greed, audits, denial, and wish-casting was quite rapid, but it followed a very familiar pattern. People who value their personal attachments above objective knowledge seem to spend an inordinate amount of time finding reasons to dismiss the messenger when they don’t like the message.

Fortunately for Nate, all it took was one day, and reality came crashing down on his critics entire imaginary world.

For climate science, it will probably take a little longer…
    "

Excellent article. I guess I must've had temporary amnesia when I asked my the media would villify him and forgotten that "people.. value their personal attachments above objective knowledge". Not sure how I was able to forget that.