Options

Fighting For GA Is No Different Than Fighting For Yourself

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Suziemay wrote:
    I'm talking about the bonding and friendships that a GA situation precipitates that doesn't exist with seats.
    Bingo.........its easy to understand...just take a look at Missoula fanview thread...what people posting about meeting people in the line and if they want to do it again..and at the euro 12 threads what Americans came to the euro shows post about GA....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Suziemay wrote:
    I'm talking about the bonding and friendships that a GA situation precipitates that doesn't exist with seats.
    Bingo.........its easy to understand...just take a look at Missoula fanview thread...what people posting about meeting people in the line and if they want to do it again..and at the euro 12 threads what Americans came to the euro shows post about GA....

And take a look at all of the rest of the US threads from the rest of the bands tours. :lol: Seriously?? :lol:
  • Options
    Bottom line is this since my original post has gotten so far off topic. The argument for GA in the STates is nothing more than people who want to move forward...that's the bottom line and the underlying truth. People want to increase their chances to sit close. Fine. Just say that without all of the excuses. I posed a question earlier about any member giving up a guaranteed third row reserved seat for GA. What...no takers? :lol:

Facts are it won't happen unless PJ turns into a festival band. Too many corporate, VIP, licensed seats are given away and/or sold at the venues they play to change this.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    DS1119 wrote:

Facts are it won't happen unless PJ turns into a festival band. Too many corporate, VIP, licensed seats are given away and/or sold at the venues they play to change this.
    they already have. I hope they play mountain jam and the central park summerstage next year. :roll: :fp:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    DS1119 wrote:

they already have. I hope they play mountain jam and the central park summerstage next year. :roll: :fp:

This year yes. If they actually do put out a new album next year then no. Then it's back to normal. People compalining about their seats and a call for GA. Just won't happen.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited October 2012
    DS1119 wrote:
    sparky_fry wrote:
    Actually I feel that its a shame that there is little chance (~ <1%) of me ever seeing my favorite band up close as i wasn't able to join tenclub at the age of 3. I don't mind seated concerts but why not have the whole floor random so people who don't like GA still get to take a seat and the chance of me ever getting to see mikes fingers moving is not lower than winning the actual lottery. Either that or at least add more random rows to the floor besides the 1,2 and 10 or whatever it is.

I just feel its a shame to music that i will probably never get to see my favorite band up close, which isn't a debate of GA Vs Seating.

I never got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn in concert either. I will also never marry a super model and I'll never be over 6 feet tall. Sometimes life isn't fair. At least you have a chance to be close to a PJ concert with the random rows of 1,2 and 9,10. All I'm saying with my original post is these "excuses" are shallow attempts at people trying to better themselves. That's it.
    I don't know what you're talking about really. I find your thoughts on this weird - the whole shallowness/bettering ones self thing - doesn't make any sense, and perhaps you're thinking about it way too much?? I personally like GA because I think it's more fun. That's it. Not quite sure why you seem to be angry with people who prefer GA. It's really just a matter of preference. The reasons behind such a preference either way seem fairly irrelevant in the end. Some like the rawness of GA. Some like the orderliness of seats. You seem to be suggesting that somehow those who like GA are selfish or something?? Don't get that. If anything, it's always the people with low numbers who like reserved because it allows them to hold a monopoly on great seats while so many others never get the chance. But mostly, GA people (especially taller GA people, like me) just think that GA is a blast (and i call bullshit on the idea that GA isn't any more exciting than seated floor (at any concert), and especially in Missoula). I've been to more than enough rock concerts with both formats to know that simply is not the case. Ever.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know what you're talking about really. I personally like GA because I think it's more fun. That's it. Not quite sure why you seem to be angry with people who prefer GA. It's really just a matter of preference. The reasons behind such a preference either way seem fairly irrelevant in the end. Some like the rawness of GA. Some like the orderliness of seats. You seem to be suggesting that somehow those who like GA are selfish or something?? Don't get that. If anything, it's always the people with low numbers who like reserved because it allows them to hold a monopoly on great seats while so many others never get the chance. But mostly, GA people jus think that GA is a blast (and i call bullshit on the idea that GA isn't any more exciting than seated floor (at any concert), and especially in Missoula). I've been to more than enough rock concerts with both formats to know that simply is not the case. Ever.

Try reading the original post again.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know what you're talking about really. I personally like GA because I think it's more fun. That's it. Not quite sure why you seem to be angry with people who prefer GA. It's really just a matter of preference. The reasons behind such a preference either way seem fairly irrelevant in the end. Some like the rawness of GA. Some like the orderliness of seats. You seem to be suggesting that somehow those who like GA are selfish or something?? Don't get that. If anything, it's always the people with low numbers who like reserved because it allows them to hold a monopoly on great seats while so many others never get the chance. But mostly, GA people jus think that GA is a blast (and i call bullshit on the idea that GA isn't any more exciting than seated floor (at any concert), and especially in Missoula). I've been to more than enough rock concerts with both formats to know that simply is not the case. Ever.

Try reading the original post again.
    I had just read it before posting that... I really don't get why you have made these judgements. GA fans like GA because it's fun. Thinking that it's more fun isn't an excuse. It's what we actually really think. No idea how you've translated it into an every man for himself thing and seem all pious about it. Like you're pissed off at people who prefer GA because it means they're jerks just coming up with excuses for why GA is better to cover up their jerkiness. :? I am just not picking up what you're throwing down here!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know what you're talking about really. I find your thoughts on this weird - the whole shallowness/bettering ones self thing - doesn't make any sense, and perhaps you're thinking about it way too much?? I personally like GA because I think it's more fun. That's it. Not quite sure why you seem to be angry with people who prefer GA. It's really just a matter of preference. The reasons behind such a preference either way seem fairly irrelevant in the end. Some like the rawness of GA. Some like the orderliness of seats. You seem to be suggesting that somehow those who like GA are selfish or something?? Don't get that. If anything, it's always the people with low numbers who like reserved because it allows them to hold a monopoly on great seats while so many others never get the chance. But mostly, GA people (especially taller GA people, like me) just think that GA is a blast (and i call bullshit on the idea that GA isn't any more exciting than seated floor (at any concert), and especially in Missoula). I've been to more than enough rock concerts with both formats to know that simply is not the case. Ever.

Also if you think the floor was exciting in MT, good for you, you were there it should have been exciting. But to think it was more exciting than any other reserved seated show in the States makes me :lol: Sorry it does. I was watching the whole night and the energy seemed failry low in my opinion. Your experience was probably different. I guess no different than the observers of the floor during reserved seated shows. :think: What I saw was the first five rows of people all crowded together with no room and the rest of the floor (which about 40% was empty) just standing there holding their drinks and watching.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I had just read it before posting that... I really don't get why you have made these judgements. GA fans like GA because it's fun. Thinking that it's more fun isn't an excuse. It's what we actually really think. No idea how you've translated it into an every man for himself thing and seem all pious about it. Like you're pissed off at people who prefer GA because it means they're jerks just coming up with excuses for why GA is better to cover up their jerkiness. :? I am just not picking up what you're throwing down here!

Not pissed off. Just saying what I see and it ll boils down to people wanting to be closer. No other reason. Just wish they save the excuses is all. Let me ask you this...would you rather have general admission tickets in the back of the floor and you can't move up or would you want 10c tickets 2 rows up on the wings from the floor and 70 feet from the stage? Be honest now? :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Also if you think the floor was exciting in MT, good for you, you were there it should have been exciting. But to think it was more exciting than any other reserved seated show in the States makes me :lol: Sorry it does. I was watching the whole night and the energy seemed failry low in my opinion. Your experience was probably different. I guess no different than the observers of the floor during reserved seated shows. :think: What I saw was the first five rows of people all crowded together with no room and the rest of the floor (which about 40% was empty) just standing there holding their drinks and watching.
    Kay, if that's true, I shudder to think what it would have been like with seats! Weird that Ed said it was the best American crowd in he didn't know how long... pretty sure he wasn't just pandering. Funny that other peoplenfromnthe seats have commented onnhiw the floor was rocking, too. Also funny how i've seen video of it and it didn't look dead to me. And funny how i was in it and i could see over the whole floor since i had the fence to stand up on, and it was bouncing, and since I was 6 backor so I could see with my own eyes that the first 4 rows weren't just standing there. Although I'm sure all of the more mellow people were at the back chilling. That's cool too. Whatever though. You weren't on the floor, so yay for you; you didn't have to suffer what you decided was a lame crowd. But anyway, still not getting you on the whole attitude man. Why so pissy about it?
    Anyway, I know for myself the differences between seats vs. GA; we obviously have different perspectives on it, different experiences... Btw, I know of plenty of people who have been members here for years who prefer GA. Also, people love GA at other shows where there is non fan club reserved seating and therefore no disadvantage to having an high club number.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Not pissed off. Just saying what I see and it ll boils down to people wanting to be closer. No other reason. Just wish they save the excuses is all. Let me ask you this...would you rather have general admission tickets in the back of the floor and you can't move up or would you want 10c tickets 2 rows up on the wings from the floor and 70 feet from the stage? Be honest now? :lol:
    Honestly, I ALWAYS am more excited about GA shows. It's not like I hate reserved seating, but for me the different energy that I feel at any GA show (even when I have seats and am not even on the floor, which is usually!!) is what I dig at concerts. If I cared so much about being as close as possible, I wouldn't show up for GA shortly before doors, obviously. There are others whose number one priority is to get close. Good for them; if they wanna wait all that time, they deserve it. IF I can get close, awesome!! But I don't go out of my way for it. I just like the vibe of rock concerts with GA whether I'm on the floor or not.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited October 2012
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    [GA fans like GA because it's fun. Thinking that it's more fun isn't an excuse. !
    let me help you here...

i like better GA shows no matter if i score 10c tix or not,(then seniority doesnt count if you dont have 10c tix)
    i like better GA shows no matter is a pj show or other band..(othe rbands dont have this system 10c has)
    i like better GA shows,cos i choose with who ill be and where ill be in the venue..
    i like better GA cos its more fun...and no security guy break my balls like msg 08 cos i put my left foot on the coridor and need to get back to my seat the whole body and blind me with his flachlight..

i like better GA shows cos ive done all,GA early and 1st row,GA and way back at sound booth
    10c seated 5th row,10c seated on the sides..and no 10c seated in the sides and no 10c seated at the back of the stage..\

i prefer GA shows,cos im with the ones i want to be with and its more fun this way....
    cos i like to go to the parties that i have friends and be with as many friends i want to be..

thats my excuse..to have the best fun makes me feel better..
    is th way i understand what a ROCK concert means and feels like..
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    [GA fans like GA because it's fun. Thinking that it's more fun isn't an excuse. !
    let me help you here...

i like better GA shows no matter if i score 10c tix or not,(then seniority doesnt count if you dont have 10c tix)
    i like better GA shows no matter is a pj show or other band..(othe rbands dont have this system 10c has)
    i like better GA shows,cos i choose with who ill be and where ill be in the venue..
    i like better GA cos its more fun...and no security guy break my balls like msg 08 cos i put my left foot on the coridor and need to get back to my seat the whole body and blind me with his flachlight..

i like better GA shows cos ive done all,GA early and 1st row,GA and way back at sound booth
    10c seated 5th row,and no 10c seated in the sides and no 10c seated at the back of the stage..\

i prefer GA shows,cos im with the ones i want to be with and its more fun this way....
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    So I'm a fan of GA and not for the reasons you state ;)
    DS1119 wrote:
    Sorry, I just have to call a spade a spade. Year in and year out it's the same old debate...we want GA seating. Who wants that? The newest memebrs or members with low fan club members that's who. They use excuses like:

"it's more fair for everyone"....really when you have groups of people making lists to hold people's place in line for hours so they can eat, drink, check out the scene, wait in line for a fucking poster or let their buddies cut in with them. 40% of the the first ten rows of reserved seats are randomly distributed. I'd call that pretty fair.

I don't queue. I'm not in it to be up front. Went to four shows in Europe this year and didn't see X once as I was still in a pub when then were on stage
    DS1119 wrote:
    "I'm short and can't see with resereved seats"...really, so a GA show suddenly makes you taller and have the ability to see?

I'm 5'2" ... it doesn't make me taller but if I'm seated behind a couple of tall guys I'm screwed. In GA if a couple of tall guys stand in front of me I can move to a place where I have a better vantage point.
    DS1119 wrote:
    "I want to be with my friends"....we're all friends at a PJ show. If you want to sit with specific people then find tickets together. Other than that hang out with your friends at the pre or post parties.

We met and are friends because of this band ... we've been going to shows TOGETHER for 6 years ... we don't want to all sit in separate parts of an arena ... enjoying the show with a huge bunch of friends is amazing FUN ... we do the parties too ;)

The Rob videoed us during the Manchester show. Me and my PJ friends near the back of the arena, Enjoying a show together. None of this needing to be up front. THIS is why I LOVE GA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkBIMwDcxc
    DS1119 wrote:
    "Reserved ticket crowds are lame"....hmmm I've been to quite a few shows and they were far from lame. As an observer from the stands at MT the floor was no different there than a reserved show crowd. Sorry, but it wasn't.

What these pushes for GA shows in the US is nothing more than members trying to look out for themselves...and if I were in their shoes I would probably do the same thing...but lets call it what it is. An attempt for YOU to have better seats. That's it. It has nothing to do with crowd energy. It has nothing to do with being with friends. It has nothing to do with your height. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU feel will give YOU the best shot to be up close. Just saying how it is.

So I don't care about a shot to be up close. I'd still prefer GA. As would all those people in the video with me!
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    What Chime said... :lol:

Though being 'up close and personal' is an experience in itself, for most, GA is not about that but about choice and friends. Well, at least to shows I've been too. May be different for Americans who don't have many GA shows and see these as the only opportunity to get up front.

To be truthfull, the minority of real 'hardcore' queuing people are a bit strange.....
  • Options
    I echo Chime, Redrock and Dimi (I know there's more folk agreeing on the same thing, but I can't name check everyone ;) ).

GA works for pretty much EVERYONE in Europe with no real mega-issues arising. Yeah we sometimes have a string of shows with the same people at the front, or a few complaints about people jumping queues, but at least people at the front actually want to be there and will dance, sing and generally act as if they are honored to be up there.
    I've had a super low number (as well as two decent ones and now one that might get me a seat next to the bar at the back if I'm super lucky) - even with a low number, I'd rather go knock around with my mates, dance around like an idiot and spend half the gig facing the wrong way cos I'm too busy dancing and singin with everyone around. (and you wonder why the euro show crowds always sound great on the boots?)
    I honestly pity the lot of you over the pond who won't get to experience that kind of fun - PJ with your friends is quite simply the best way to see the band, and THATS the reason people like GA 8-)
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying you can't meet awesome people with seated tickets. I've made some good friends that way. However, the people I met standing in line for GA are people I would not have met with seats because they would have been scattered all over the venue in pairs and I would not have chanced upon them. For example, you and I would never happen to be in the same vicinity with seats because your number is far better than mine. It's highly possible we might meet at a preparty or post party but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the bonding and friendships that a GA situation precipitates that doesn't exist with seats.

And that's your opinion and I truly respect it. For me I would have never met some of the awesome people I have at pre parties that I have drinking beers and listening to PJ blare over the speakers rather than wasting my time standing in line. It's all perspective.
    We can agree to disagree :)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    if you don't like GA or you are too old or short for GA....go sit in your seat like a good little boy or girl

i enjoyed the floor in MT. sure beats seing perfectly lined rows on the floor.

good times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I echo Chime, Redrock and Dimi (I know there's more folk agreeing on the same thing, but I can't name check everyone ;) ).

GA works for pretty much EVERYONE in Europe with no real mega-issues arising. Yeah we sometimes have a string of shows with the same people at the front, or a few complaints about people jumping queues, but at least people at the front actually want to be there and will dance, sing and generally act as if they are honored to be up there.
    I've had a super low number (as well as two decent ones and now one that might get me a seat next to the bar at the back if I'm super lucky) - even with a low number, I'd rather go knock around with my mates, dance around like an idiot and spend half the gig facing the wrong way cos I'm too busy dancing and singin with everyone around. (and you wonder why the euro show crowds always sound great on the boots?)
    I honestly pity the lot of you over the pond who won't get to experience that kind of fun - PJ with your friends is quite simply the best way to see the band, and THATS the reason people like GA 8-)

couldn't agree more. yeah, I enjoy being up front, that's why I started to queue for this tour, as I was traveling by myself. none of my friends are as passionate about music as I am, and so seeing shows alone has become the norm for me over the years, and I don't particularly mind it that much. however, with the kind of community that PJ fans have, it was really easy to get to know new people, whether it was at the pre-parties or just hanging out before and after the shows. and in fact, the shows I liked the best were those I could spend with my group of newly made friends. and turn to each other when a certain songs starts, and you know it's the one someone has been waiting for for years...or the about 200 OMG moments of amsterdam 2 :D I love concerts, but sharing that experience with someone who loves it as much as you do is just something else. whole different level really.
  • Options
    Ana2112Ana2112 Posts: 689
    chime wrote:
    The Rob videoed us during the Manchester show. Me and my PJ friends near the back of the arena, Enjoying a show together. None of this needing to be up front. THIS is why I LOVE GA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkBIMwDcxc
    This is beautiful. :)
    Evil Little Goat
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    My experience with GA is a bit mixed. When I saw Jimi Hendrix in 1968 the whole show was GA. My buddy and I got there early and ran up pretty close to the front but it was like being in pressure cooker. The year before that another friend of mine and I bought tickets to see The Who as soon as the tickets became available and we had second row seats and it was very comfortable. Both shows were both great and memorable. GA has some benefits but for my money I'd rather not hassle with the bother and crush of GA.

Seeing Pearl Jam for the first time happened for me because someone, the OP here, DS, was kind enough to make it happen for me. This was the best show I've ever been to and it happened because of the huge generosity and thoughtfulness of DS and big-time help from rpech'e. This is a marvelous example of selflessness- something well worth considering in the debate here. I'd like to think most of us would look out for each other and make each show work out as best as possible for everyone.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    I have a shitty 10c # and I have no interest at all in GA seats. I don't need to line up outside the venue early, sprint in there and then stand there for hours until PJ comes on. No thanks.
  • Options
    I personally think they should do seating according to height. You give your height when you purchase tickets and they seat shortest to tallest. It only makes sense... ;)
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I have a shitty 10c # and I have no interest at all in GA seats. I don't need to line up outside the venue early, sprint in there and then stand there for hours until PJ comes on. No thanks.

obviously, MT isn't representive of say the United Center, but we strolled in mid way thru the mudhoney set and we were smack dab in the middle of the floor. then again, no beer was allowed outside of the restricted area, so i'm sure that helped.

but even for radiohead in st louis at their hockey areana. we showed 20 minutes or so before the opening act and if you were on the floor, you still would have been around the blue line closest to the stage.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Seriously. Queuing and dashing is not a requisite for GA. Only a small number of people actually do this to get on the rail. Just getting there for doors (at the earliest) works just fine. This has been my observation at many concerts over the years.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    DS1119 wrote:
    Sorry, I just have to call a spade a spade. Year in and year out it's the same old debate...we want GA seating. Who wants that? The newest memebrs or members with low fan club members that's who. They use excuses like:

"it's more fair for everyone"....really when you have groups of people making lists to hold people's place in line for hours so they can eat, drink, check out the scene, wait in line for a fucking poster or let their buddies cut in with them. 40% of the the first ten rows of reserved seats are randomly distributed. I'd call that pretty fair.

"I'm short and can't see with resereved seats"...really, so a GA show suddenly makes you taller and have the ability to see?

"I want to be with my friends"....we're all friends at a PJ show. If you want to sit with specific people then find tickets together. Other than that hang out with your friends at the pre or post parties.

"Reserved ticket crowds are lame"....hmmm I've been to quite a few shows and they were far from lame. As an observer from the stands at MT the floor was no different there than a reserved show crowd. Sorry, but it wasn't.

What these pushes for GA shows in the US is nothing more than members trying to look out for themselves...and if I were in their shoes I would probably do the same thing...but lets call it what it is. An attempt for YOU to have better seats. That's it. It has nothing to do with crowd energy. It has nothing to do with being with friends. It has nothing to do with your height. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU feel will give YOU the best shot to be up close. Just saying how it is.
    I agree 100%
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    LukinFan wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I agree 100%
    Uh oh. Roger, I don't think we can be friends anymore.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    This thread has covertly weeded out the forums Democrats, Republicans, and Independants.... Well played DS, well played :lol::lol:
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Options
    This thread has covertly weeded out the forums Democrats, Republicans, and Independants.... Well played DS, well played :lol::lol:
    :lol: