Options

Huge 10c tix mix up right now in Grand Rapids!!

Comments

• Options
    luckytwn wrote:
    Say what? Not a business? Seriously, you should not talk about stuff you know nothing about. The Ten Club is an LLC and is very much a business that must comply with the laws of the states that it does business in.

There are consumer protection laws to protect against items being sold on promised terms and then having those terms not complied with. If you look at the 10C ticketing page, it even says "TERMS AND CONDITIONS" and says by participating in the ticket sale you are agreeing to the terms. One of those terms is the seniority process, which is very explicitly spelled out.

By having those terms and conditions, the business is telling you how they are conducting the sale. You agree to those terms by participating and they agree in return to provide the product as promised.

And yes, I am a lawyer. I'm also an entertainment industry professional. This is almost certainly a mistake and nothing more.
    Even if there is violation of some laws, which it sounds like you know to be the case, I think they may be willing to deal with the consequences. I bet that there are high numbered fan club members who were selling there tickets which were closest to the stage. So, this may be an attempt to stop that (just a long shot of a theory). Also, PJ has broken rules for the good of general fandom before, like when they play past required curfew times. I think it's good to have the allocation of seats be based on a random basis, at random times such as Grand Rapids. There are long time fans such as myself who's membership expired because of email snafus. There are young fans who deserve a fantastic experience while they're still young. I think it's all good. PJ isn't afraid to mix things up, and realize that some rules are ok to break, for the greater good.
    Mansfield 8/7/92, 7/2/03; Boston 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Even if there is violation of some laws, which it sounds like you know to be the case, I think they may be willing to deal with the consequences. I bet that there are high numbered fan club members who were selling there tickets which were closest to the stage. So, this may be an attempt to stop that (just a long shot of a theory). Also, PJ has broken rules for the good of general fandom before, like when they play past required curfew times. I think it's good to have the allocation of seats be based on a random basis, at random times such as Grand Rapids. There are long time fans such as myself who's membership expired because of email snafus. There are young fans who deserve a fantastic experience while they're still young. I think it's all good. PJ isn't afraid to mix things up, and realize that some rules are ok to break, for the greater good.
    They can change the ticketing policy any time they like, and maybe it's time for that, but they need to do it BEFORE selling tickets. They posted a policy and they're obligated to abide by it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    luckytwn wrote:
    Mix-up. How can they do away with seniority seating if they announced in advance that is how the tickets would be assigned? There's a term for someone who sells something by saying it's one way and then switching it to another..."bait and switch." Generally that's frowned upon by various entities such as consumer protection agencies, etc. They would get sued immediately and rightfully so. Pearl Jam can use any system they like but you can't announce a system and then get people to spend their money and give them something different.

They said seniority. They didnt say ascending or descending. Both ways are still seniority based.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    ok...was this a coincedence?? dont think so...a wake up call to the senior 10c members to start rocking he fuck out...maybe...ive always wated to be close...my number is 324xxx...tomorrow i have th chance...sitting with someone with 101xxx

i really hope im not side stage..i would have had a beeter chance with my own number!!

whatever...cleveland is going to be on fire tomorrow...see ya in 24 hrs!!

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    As I posted somewhere else, the policy (as posted on the website) is the same for Europe tickets yet there's no seats so no seniority so the the policy is obviously not binding otherwise all Europe tickets would be in breach of the 'contract'.

And anyone who has nothing better to do than sueing 10c for that is a dick and doesn't deserve those seats in the first place.

you're seeing the show, from quite good seats anyway, be happy.
  • Options
    and yes...my typing skills suck at best...

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

• Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    As I posted somewhere else, the policy (as posted on the website) is the same for Europe tickets yet there's no seats so no seniority so the the policy is obviously not binding otherwise all Europe tickets would be in breach of the 'contract'.

And anyone who has nothing better to do than sueing 10c for that is a dick and doesn't deserve those seats in the first place.

there are seats for all te us shows my friend,,,i really dont see your point??

• Options
    Pegasus wrote:

thats true, I never thought of that point
    and you're right, if you can't enjoy the show from any 10C seat (which are all pretty good), you don't deserve to be there...I realized at the Toronto 2 show this year, I could have enjoyed that show the same from anywhere in the venue...of course, its nice to be up front, no one is arguing that, I just think it'd be nice for everyone to have the same opportunity to be up front
    03: Toronto
    04: Toledo
    05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec City, St. John's 1 & 2
    06: Toronto 1 & 2, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    07: London, Dusseldorf
    08: Tampa
  • Options
    They said seniority. They didnt say ascending or descending. Both ways are still seniority based.
    http://www.pearljam.com/tenclub/tickets.php

"Tickets are allocated by seniority within the fan club. The longer you have been in the club, the closer your seats are to the stage. Proximity to the stage is also contingent upon how many members are in attendance at a show."
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    ' wrote:
    V[ANTIS']there are seats for all te us shows my friend,,,i really dont see your point??

and man, thats hard luck if they are chaging things up and you don't get good seats tomorrow...thats really shitty
    you definetely deserve those good seats if you've seen that many shows without being in the first few rows...I've said it many times, everyone here deserves that chance to get up front...I was fortunate enough to get mine the 2nd show I attended!
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    They can change the ticketing policy any time they like, and maybe it's time for that, but they need to do it BEFORE selling tickets. They posted a policy and they're obligated to abide by it.
    Not even knowing you, I can probably predict accurately with over 99% certainty that you would have purchased tickets either way, whether with the seniority system in place or without. Of course, your expectations and dreams of the upcoming show have been built up because of the seniority thing, but I doubt it influenced your purchase decision if you're a member of the fan club, and a fan since 1994. So, your argument of needing to change the policy "before" the purchase of tickets seems weak in the case of true fans who would be going to the show anyways. I think the intention of the fan club is to be there for true fans, and true fans will be there no matter what. Legally there may be question marks, but ethically I think what PJ is doing, if in fact they are doing something, is fine.
  • Options
    Not even knowing you, I can probably predict accurately with over 99% certainty that you would have purchased tickets either way, whether with the seniority system in place or without. Of course, your expectations and dreams of the upcoming show have been built up because of the seniority thing, but I doubt it influenced your purchase decision if you're a member of the fan club, and a fan since 1994. So, your argument of needing to change the policy "before" the purchase of tickets seems weak in the case of true fans who would be going to the show anyways. I think the intention of the fan club is to be there for true fans, and true fans will be there no matter what. Legally there may be question marks, but ethically I think what PJ is doing, if in fact they are doing something, is fine.

I like your line of thinking
  • Options
    PJaholicPJaholic Posts: 81
    Boy is there gonna be a mutiny in here tomorrow!!!!! :)

It's kinda a let down if you have a good number and are expecting to get good seats and then you get to the venue and you don't. However, this system does work better than the old block system. My number is 166xx and when it was done in the blocks I would sometimes get seats in the very back of the floor (work prevented me from waiting around all day to be first on line). For last tour the worst seats I got was 20th row in Montreal.
    I think it was probably a mix up of some sort but even if it's not...oh well.
    You still have better seats (and payed less $$) than if you went through ticketmaster. I won't begrudge anyone sitting up front. I've sat 5th row and every fan deserves to be that close one day.
    "i'm lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side"
  • Options
    I would have bought tickets to Cleveland anyway ... which I did, through Ticketfuckers, after getting shut out of the 10 Club sale. I decided to go to the Detroit show only after being unable to get fan club seats for Cleveland. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to want to take advantage of the membership I've kept up for 12 years. I don't fly all over the place to see dozens of shows on every tour. No, I would not be dragging my chemotherapy-fried ass to Detroit if not for the promise of my seniority-based seats. Maybe another year I would have, but not this year.
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Please let this be true, and please let it happen tomorrow as well. Most fans up close are far too spoiled.

I couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    ' wrote:
    V[ANTIS']there are seats for all te us shows my friend,,,i really dont see your point??
    the point is that the policy (so including the part about seniority) is the same whether there's actual seats (like in US shows) or not (like in Europe) and therefore the policy is not binding otherwise they would have to either provide arrangement by seniority in Europe or set up a different policy for us or add something about GA over-rulling the present policy (and clearly mark on the product page the tickets as GA...they were not).

None of this has been done so the policy is just that, a policy NOT a contract.
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    Pegasus wrote:

Incorrect. Fans were notified in advance as to which shows were GA and you had an opportunity to decide in advance whether or not you wanted to go. In the one case where that got screwed up with SF, they had to offer refunds once they found out it was GA and they had mistakenly announced otherwise.

In the case of the assigned seating, the policy is spelled out very clearly in the "Terms and Conditions". They use that terminology for a reason, it's drawn up to protect the 10C. The tickets were sold under those terms and they must abide by them. It's not a debatable point. This is a fact.

Someone else brought up curfew. First of all, that's a totally different issue. It's a contractual issue between the band and venue. In some outdoor venues, it can also be subject to local noise ordinances. Again, that would be clearly spelled out as a term and condition of the contract between PJ and the venue. And normally the contract provides that if you go past a certain time, you pay a specific penalty.

To use the correct curfew analogy for this ticketing screw-up, it would be like a venue told Pearl Jam they could play until midnight and then Pearl Jam ended at 11:50 and were told the policy changed during the show, they were being fined for playing past 11. Well, Pearl Jam wouldn't like that and you can bet that Pearl Jam's lawyers would be dealing with it.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    haha, funny how some people think the band is breaking the law. Go read law 101
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I would have bought tickets to Cleveland anyway ... which I did, through Ticketfuckers, after getting shut out of the 10 Club sale. I decided to go to the Detroit show only after being unable to get fan club seats for Cleveland. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to want to take advantage of the membership I've kept up for 12 years. I don't fly all over the place to see dozens of shows on every tour. No, I would not be dragging my chemotherapy-fried ass to Detroit if not for the promise of my seniority-based seats. Maybe another year I would have, but not this year.
    No disrespect was intended, hippiemom. Cancer really sucks like nothing else, and you deserve the best seats for sure. I'm just talking on a general basis, not yours specifically. You deserve good things for hanging in there. I hope PJ makes the hard times more bearable.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    None of this has been done so the policy is just that, a policy NOT a contract.

Incorrect again.

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Purchasing tickets through the Ten Club pre-sale means you have agreed to the following terms and conditions. Please read carefully before purchasing tickets from the Ten Club."

That is a implied contract between buyer and seller. As I noted, you must agree to their terms and conditions, in return they agree to abide by them as well.

And one of the terms of that contract is:

"Tickets are allocated by seniority within the fan club. The longer you have been in the club, the closer your seats are to the stage. Proximity to the stage is also contingent upon how many members are in attendance at a show."

I negotiate contracts all the time. This is all very simple and quite frankly, not open to debate.

As I said, I believe it to be a mistake. And people are already reporting the 10C is saying it was, in fact, a mistake. Even as a mistake, people have a basis for complaint. But we can understand mistakes are made and I'm sure the band will make it up to those affected.

If it was intentional, they would absolutely be subject to liability for not abiding by the terms that the tickets were sold under.
  • Options
    deleted deleted
  • Options
    and my point still stands that the europe tickets (and the SF one for example) are sold under the same terms yet do not abide by them.

So tell me lawyerboy, should I sue them?
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    hippiemom wrote:
    http://www.pearljam.com/tenclub/tickets.php

And they said in 2003, specific seat assignments and they went blocks. I'm just playing around but I think it is fabulous to see some high#'s see up close for once. Unfortunately with the Pearl Jam Caste System, one with a high# is doomed for life from getting a good seat. So it's nice it happen to somebody. I'm sure it will get fixed and never happen again. But it makes me enjoy tonight, from California unfortunately, a bit better.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    Wow. I can't believe some of the attitudes...no dissing intended just amazed...

I have been a member since '95. Been to 14 shows. Does anyone remember when there was no 10c seating?! Then it was only one show per tour, now its as many as desired and goes by seniorty, based on the venue and available seating.

Do you know how amazingly fortunate we all are that the band does this in the first place?!

I saw both Chicago shows ... the first I wasn't able to get 10c seats, bought tickets from ticketmaster and loved the show from the third balcony just a bit stage right. The second show I amazingly sat 4th row center Sec 2 ... I was so "holy" thankful I rocked harder than ever before!

Who knows ... shit happens ... maybe wait to find out what "really" happened.

In the meantime here's to the true fans. It doesn't matter how long you're in the 10c or where you sit, its about the love of the music!
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    No disrespect was intended, hippiemom. Cancer really sucks like nothing else, and you deserve the best seats for sure. I'm just talking on a general basis, not yours specifically. You deserve good things for hanging in there. I hope PJ makes the hard times more bearable.
    It's cool, I know there was no disrespect :) But this is a good example of why there needs to be a policy, and why everyone on both sides needs to abide by it. I'm not the only member with some sort of "special" circumstances. Obviously, they can't cater to all of us personally, but when there's a policy in place, those of us who for whatever reason can't put their lives on hold for a tour can make a decision on how to best make use of our money, vacation time, etc. Sure, there's a handful of people that are in the front almost every night of the tour, and I agree that's a bit ridiculous. But most members, even the senior ones, aren't seeing dozens of shows. They've kept their memberships current for over a decade and were promised something in return for that.
  • Options
    sxysadiesxysadie Posts: 43
    Maybe Tim had enough of the same spoiled biatches up front every night just leaning against the rails and decided on a new policy.. ohhh this tour really might get outta hand now:)
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Let some of us mid number people have better seats.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride! -Unknown
  • Options
    Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    luckytwn wrote:

To use the correct curfew analogy for this ticketing screw-up, it would be like a venue told Pearl Jam they could play until midnight and then Pearl Jam ended at 11:50 and were told the policy changed during the show, they were being fined for playing past 11. Well, Pearl Jam wouldn't like that and you can bet that Pearl Jam's lawyers would be dealing with it.

No, the best curfew analogy I can think of is that a lot of Pearl Jam fans should have curfews because they act like fucking babies.

I don't care what the legalese is. Its not like they ordered a 42 inch plasma screen tv online and got a 13 inch B&W, that is a legit complaint. They didn't pay more and they weren't promised a specific seat. They are only mad that the people ahead of them are newer. If they found out that the people ahead of them were actually older, they'd cry about something else
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    luckytwn wrote:
    Incorrect again.

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Purchasing tickets through the Ten Club pre-sale means you have agreed to the following terms and conditions. Please read carefully before purchasing tickets from the Ten Club."

That is a implied contract between buyer and seller. As I noted, you must agree to their terms and conditions, in return they agree to abide by them as well.

And one of the terms of that contract is:

I negotiate contracts all the time. This is all very simple and quite frankly, not open to debate.

As I said, I believe it to be a mistake. And people are already reporting the 10C is saying it was, in fact, a mistake. Even as a mistake, people have a basis for complaint. But we can understand mistakes are made and I'm sure the band will make it up to those affected.

If it was intentional, they would absolutely be subject to liability for not abiding by the terms that the tickets were sold under.

very well done, and i agree.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    And they said in 2003, specific seat assignments and they went blocks. /quote]

First, I don't recall them using such specific language in 2003. Second, if they did (and please provide the specific languange) and then used the block system, it would be wrong. Even so, the 10C would have argued I'm sure in 2003 that the block system served the intent of the contract because senior members did get the best seats as the policy provides for.

That is not the case tonight where the most senior members got the worst seats. It's not the same case.
  • Options
    pejamrlpejamrl Posts: 35
    on another thread in The Porch someone called the Tenclub and it was explained that the mix up was not done on purpose. Relax everyone you should just be grateful you have a ticket or even a concert near you to go to
    Mansfield Sept 16,98'
    Aug 29,30 00'
    Jul 2,3,11 03'
    Boston Sep 28,29 04'
    Borgata Sep 30 05'
    Hartford May 13 06'
    Boston May 24,25 06'
    Mansfield June 28, 30 08'
    Vedder solo tour Aug 1 08'