Options

*** Los Angeles I Fanviews 7/9 Here ***

Comments

• Options
    I've read a few people mention that last night's L.A. crowd (or their particular section) just wasn't into it. Well, you shoulda been in Loge 12 because my section came to rock and sing. And the way it looked to me - the 17,500 in the building last night roared and sang as if their lives depended on it. I've always considered the 7/13/98 show at the Forum as the best PJ show I've ever seen. Last night may not have been better - but it was as good. There's something about this old, underused, unsleek, unhip, uncorporate building that brings out the best in PJ - it's probably the complete lack of advertising and skyboxes, as Mr. Vedder proudly pointed out last night. And kudos to him for showing love to the striking workers picketing outside. Just some notes that I thought I'd share:

- That was the best version of "Jeremy" I've ever seen. The jam at the end was fantastic and when EV requested to the crowd, "You take it" and seventeen thousand answered the request - it sent chills up my spine.

- other songs where the crowd really stepped up and took over: Corduroy, GTF, Evenflow, Better Man (I love when the crowd sings the entire first verse and chorus and EV just holds the mic and soaks it in), Not For You (anyone catch EV change the lyrics to "small my table, now sits three"), Elderly Woman, Alive, Last Kiss, Why Go (wow! - haven't seen that performed live in 13 years), Baba. Loved that the crowd was singing along to new tracks like Gone and Comatose.

- Imagine if Andy Wood hadn't died. There would never have been a Pearl Jam. Things happen for a reason. It was touching moment when EV gave props. I don't love the song - but I believe that everyone in the building can feel what it means to Stone & Jeff.

- "Come Back" is a gorgeous track and my favorite on the Avocado - kind of a throwback to an old R&B song. I think it should be played every night.

- I consider "Whipping" as one of their best live songs - and it was a pleasant shock to get it last night. I still love the instrumental pause/break in the chorus towards the end. The band jamming at the end of "Not For You" was wonderful to see.

- 29 songs. 2 hours, 40 minutes. In talking to a few SD attendees, last night might not have been as magical - but it may rank as one of the two best L.A. performances the band has ever done. I'll be trying to sell a limb or a firstborn to get into the Fonda on Wed night. Thx to yieldkitty for the ticket last night. And special thx to the band for the past fifteen years. It's rare that a band sticks around that long. And it's even rarer when a band delivers like they did last night. They're on top of their game. Long live Pearl Jam!
    Lake Fairfax 92 MTV Awards 93 Indio 93 2SDs 95 Bridge Sch 96 Oakland 97 Maui 98 Vegas 98 2LAs 98 Columbia, MD 98 Bridge Sch 99 Jones Bch 00 Vegas 00 LA 00 SD 00 Bridge Sch 01 Seattle 02 Bridge Sch 03 Santa Barbara 03 Denver 06 2LAs 06 Fonda 06 SF1 06 Hullabaloo 07 Lolla 07 Bonnaroo 08
  • Options
    tippytomtippytom Posts: 5
    Good show.

PROS
    Release was a great opener
    Crown of thorns was awesome
    BIG WAVE!!

CONS:
    On the other hand LA crowds tend to be...pretty lame... They were pretty loud for an LA crowd but if your used to seeing shows in NY NJ PA and Boston.. you kinda get spoiled..

Tim Robbins....STINKS!! please Eddie don't let this tall dork back on stage tonight...
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Tim Robbins may be a tall dork, but his performance in the Shawshank Redemption gives him several cool points, but music is a different category.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    ArmsinaVArmsinaV Posts: 108
    I've read a few people mention that last night's L.A. crowd (or their particular section) just wasn't into it. Well, you shoulda been in Loge 12 because my section came to rock and sing. And the way it looked to me - the 17,500 in the building last night roared and sang as if their lives depended on it. I've always considered the 7/13/98 show at the Forum as the best PJ show I've ever seen. Last night may not have been better - but it was as good. There's something about this old, underused, unsleek, unhip, uncorporate building that brings out the best in PJ - it's probably the complete lack of advertising and skyboxes, as Mr. Vedder proudly pointed out last night. And kudos to him for showing love to the striking workers picketing outside. Just some notes that I thought I'd share:

- That was the best version of "Jeremy" I've ever seen. The jam at the end was fantastic and when EV requested to the crowd, "You take it" and seventeen thousand answered the request - it sent chills up my spine.

- other songs where the crowd really stepped up and took over: Corduroy, GTF, Evenflow, Better Man (I love when the crowd sings the entire first verse and chorus and EV just holds the mic and soaks it in), Not For You (anyone catch EV change the lyrics to "small my table, now sits three"), Elderly Woman, Alive, Last Kiss, Why Go (wow! - haven't seen that performed live in 13 years), Baba. Loved that the crowd was singing along to new tracks like Gone and Comatose.

- Imagine if Andy Wood hadn't died. There would never have been a Pearl Jam. Things happen for a reason. It was touching moment when EV gave props. I don't love the song - but I believe that everyone in the building can feel what it means to Stone & Jeff.

- "Come Back" is a gorgeous track and my favorite on the Avocado - kind of a throwback to an old R&B song. I think it should be played every night.

- I consider "Whipping" as one of their best live songs - and it was a pleasant shock to get it last night. I still love the instrumental pause/break in the chorus towards the end. The band jamming at the end of "Not For You" was wonderful to see.

- 29 songs. 2 hours, 40 minutes. In talking to a few SD attendees, last night might not have been as magical - but it may rank as one of the two best L.A. performances the band has ever done. I'll be trying to sell a limb or a firstborn to get into the Fonda on Wed night. Thx to yieldkitty for the ticket last night. And special thx to the band for the past fifteen years. It's rare that a band sticks around that long. And it's even rarer when a band delivers like they did last night. They're on top of their game. Long live Pearl Jam!

I was in Loge 12, too. I thought the section was great. I was in Row X - at the top of the section - and I had a BLAST.

I was at San Diego and it was great. But, honestly, I had more fun at LA. I thought the sound was better and I just had a better crowd around me. I thought the energy at SD was better and more unique.......but both shows rocked.
    2000: Lubbock; 2003: OKC, Dallas, San Antonio; 2006: Los Angeles II, San Diego; 2008: Atlanta (EV Solo); 2012: Dallas (EV Solo); 2013: Dallas; 2014: Tulsa; 2018: Wrigley I
  • Options
    tippytomtippytom Posts: 5
    "Tim Robbins may be a tall dork, but his performance in the Shawshank Redemption gives him several cool points, but music is a different category."

Yeah Shawshank was great... gave him some cool points.. but then marrying that googly eyed C$%# Susan Sarandon took them away again....Oh wait .. maybe she can come out and do a song with Eddie too.....YEEEEEEECK!!
  • Options
    I've been to alot of concerts, but as I got older, I stopped going to arena shows unless it was Springsteen. (I'm a big Springsteen fan, BTW) Living in LA, I haven't had that many oppurtunities to see PJ, so when this tour was announced, I quickly joined the 10C, bought tickets as soon as they went onsale. I've been into their music since their second album, so I'm no stranger to their music.

Anyway, enough about me. What a tremendous show! Everything was what a rock concert is all about. A sold-out show. Every seat in the Forum was filled with the exception of the shitty Colonade seats behind the stage, which would've been filled if they sold 'em. Great setlist. A little heavy on their greatest hits, but who's complaining. My favorites were Given to Fly, Betterman, WWS, Yellow Ledbetter, Baba O'Riley, and Last Kiss. The crowd. What a great mix of people. Very few celebrities in the crowd (at least from my spot), which is rare for an LA concert. But you guys are such a force that the band would be dead without their fans. Kudos to y'all. No video screens. Thank you for that. I hate them and always have since they were introduced at Stadium shows. Why pay money to watch an edited version of a show? Great light show, too. The band. What a tight unit. Eddie is so charsimatic and funny. Mike's blistering solos, especially during the material off the Ten album, were awesome. Somebody else said that Matt is a machine, and I have to agree with that comment. And you certainly get your money's worth. $51 bucks for 2 hours and forty minutes of relentless music.

We need this band more than ever. Keep up the amazing work, guys!

Here's to the future of Rock & Roll, and it's name is Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Attended last night's show at the Forum and gotta say it was amazing! I've always wanted to see them live, but never have and I should be kicked repeatedly in the groin for that. For an L.A. crowd, everyone was really into it (except for when some people started to leave before the second encore ended, how can you leave before Baba O'reilly and Yellow Ledbetter??). People came running back in when Ledbetter started up. McCready has to be one of the most underrated guitarists of the last 20 years.Tim Robbins thing was a little weird, only because I couldn't really decipher the lyrics, but whatever. Highlights for me were the versions of Rearview Mirror, Crown of Thorns and Alive. All of those were insanely good. Could have used another song from Vs. like Leash or Rats or Go, but what can you do, they have too many good songs. Riot Act didn't get one play, and I Am Mine and Green Disease are 2 of my favs. One legit complaint: How can the Forum not allow you to bring in binoculars and then have the balls to to try and charge you to rent binoculars inside? Is that not the greediest most insane thing ever??? Is this just the Forum, or is this happening everywhere?? Would love some feedback on this post...
    ..Anyone have extra tix for tonight's show?? )
    Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    yea i was there and all the way at the top stage right. basically we could talk over the music is was so quiet up there. didnt really feel the vibe. still an awesome show. and i know i was lucky just to have those awful seats.
  • Options
    Thin Air 211Thin Air 211 Posts: 114
    What an awesome show! It was my first time seeing Pearl Jam live :) So no matter what it was great for me, but since I'm still a kid and I had 2 very very very tall people (my good luck right?) right next to me and in front of me on the floor- I could only see parts of the show when I stood on my tip-toes (which I did till me feet were dead-i can feel the pain this morning). Hopefully I'll get closer seats tonight or side seats. But never the less, it was an awesome show!! The crowd wasn't as into it as I wished but whatever. I was suprised to see so many ten club people around me that didn't know a lot of words but maybe they just didn't want to sing along? Since I wasn't able to go to San Diego I'm pretty happy they played Crown of Thorns! And Dissident31-they did someone similiar to the person I was with, she wanted to have a water bottle with her but they would only give it to her in a cup but then they sold bottles inside. They just want the moneys. Why Go sticks in my head for some reason, I thought it was great. Same with Given to Fly. I'm sure they will mix up the setlist a little bit tonight since San Diego and last night were similiar. Anyway, hope everyone had a good time! (I sure did!) Bring on Leash (and maybe some Riot Act) tonight!
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
  • Options
    janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Oh, ONE last comment. To those booing that lucky fan that got to introduce PJ, shame on you. No need to rain on someone's parade just because you weren't lucky enough to be that person. That was simply very @ssholish. KROQ may suck, but that guy got to live a dream! Lucky him. No wonder people think Pearl Jam fans can be such arses.

I know what you're saying but I really think it was all very good-natured. The guy was kinda goofy & they were just teasing him. Then when he said he'd never seen PJ before the shit just hit the fan :D
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    I know what you're saying but I really think it was all very good-natured. The guy was kinda goofy & they were just teasing him. Then when he said he'd never seen PJ before the shit just hit the fan :D

Yeah - I felt bad for the guy - he clearly meant well.

MY buddy did turn to me, however, and say: tool.

Is David Kindt on this board? I'm sure he's a wonderful human being.
  • Options
    bigdaubbigdaub Posts: 12
    the show last night was awesome. evenflow and rearviewmirrow rocked!!! highlight for me was inside job, alive, and baba. simply amazing.

my seat was awesome, on the floor 9 rows away from the stage. can't wait for tonight!

ps. i really hope they play lots yield, riot act and binaural tonight!
    bIGdAUB
  • Options
    Yeah I honestly don't know how people can say this wasn't a great show or that the crowd wasn't into it. You can usually tell how well the crowd is doing based on the energy level from Ed (he seems to feed off it) & he was more energetic than I've EVER seen him. It really seemed like they didn't want to go home or stop playing. Well Mike & Ed at least. That's why we got YL at the end. I came with a huge group of people, we were scattered all throughout the Forum, & every single person there was blown away by the energy of the crowd. My section in particular (Log 10) was insane.

Brief higlights: Ed's "graceful" fall at the end of Betterman, Ed knocking down the stack of speakers at the end of Alive, Release as an opener (yeah I cried a little), a magical performance of Jeremy (which normally doesn't do a whole lot for me), an insanely intense RVM w/ a great jam (which I normally hate).,...just a great overall show.
  • Options
    Oh man & Crown of Thorns. Ed talking to Jeff about Andy. The whole thing was so touching.
  • Options
    Not For You (anyone catch EV change the lyrics to "small my table, now sits three")

I did actually. He followed that up with "Got so crowded, Oh lucky me!" It was very sweet actually. It's just so nice to see him so happy finally.
  • Options
    Man, I had fun last night. I was shocked to hear the opening to Release....Depsite it being my screen name, I hadn't heard it live EVER.

I was going nuts.

I turned to my buddy and told him I was ready to go home as soon as it ended. :D
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=2848604&posted=1#post2848604

The First Casualties Of WorldWideSuicide.....Viva La Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    After seeing the guys in SD it was hard for this show to live up. While i thought the band was awesome, the set list was safe and felt more like a greatest hits set list. Eddie bad mouthed the LA crowd while in San Diego before even getting to LA and then jabbed at them again during "gone" if anyone had not noticed.

The crowd, however, was really energetic for an LA crowd. I was surprised. But this one just felt phoned in to me. Looking forward to SB. Should be a far different vibe then LA
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    oh....and then this f'n guy showed up at last nights show. anyone else hate this guy? c'mon they gotta get rid of this guy. whose next? richard gere? get over this guy already
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    wow, they played 10/13 off of the avocado, thats awesome
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    I've read a few people mention that last night's L.A. crowd (or their particular section) just wasn't into it. Well, you shoulda been in Loge 12 because my section came to rock and sing.

True...our section ROCKED! :D
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    citizen_drewcitizen_drew Posts: 170
    Great fucking concert...This band is so the real deal.
  • Options
    ten474ten474 Los Angeles Posts: 145
    When I picked up my tix and they were not on the floor, I was PISSED.

Little did I know I was literally 1 seat away from the VIP section. It was amazing!

Cameron Crowe and Nancy Wilson two seats directly in front of me and Eddie's wife and baby literally across the aisle from me.

TEN CLUB ROCKS!
    2000: Los Angeles, San Bernardino
    2003: Irvine, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara
    2006: Los Angeles N1 & N2
    2011: Mexico City
    2013: Wrigley Field, Los Angeles N1 & N2
    2014: Austin City Limits Weekend 1
    2015: Mexico City
    2016: Fenway N1 & N2
    2018: Seattle N1 & N2, Missoula, Boston N1 & N2
    2021: Ohana I, Ohana II
    2022: San Diego, LA N1 & N2, Oakland N1 & N2, Fresno
    2023: St. Paul N1 & N2

• Options
    wehrmanwehrman Posts: 28
    One of the best photos I took at the show...

Jeff mid jump

http://www.wehrmanweb.com/jason/uploads/jeffjumpDSCN3755.jpg

More photos here. http://www.wehrmanweb.com/
    lowerleftside.com or wehrmanweb.com if you want to know who I am.
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    After seeing the guys in SD it was hard for this show to live up. While i thought the band was awesome, the set list was safe and felt more like a greatest hits set list. Eddie bad mouthed the LA crowd while in San Diego before even getting to LA and then jabbed at them again during "gone" if anyone had not noticed.

What did he say during Gone? Whatever it was I'm sure he was joking. He seemed really appreciative during the show & seemed to be eating up the audience's energy. As for the LA smack in SD...well Eddie always talks shit about the previous or next city while on tour. It's what rock stars do. :)
  • Options
    What did he say during Gone? Whatever it was I'm sure he was joking. He seemed really appreciative during the show & seemed to be eating up the audience's energy. As for the LA smack in SD...well Eddie always talks shit about the previous or next city while on tour. It's what rock stars do. :)

Just a little extra added emphasis on getting out of this "f'n town". Subtle dig i thought especially if one understands the long standing contempt the band has for the industry here in L.A. emphasized by Mike's comments about the Roxy and Whisky. Clive Davis must have these guys by the balls for them to be playing a 3 day KROQ stand with secret shows for industry types. It will be interesting to see what they do tonight.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The Forum in Los Angeles is a throwback relic from Rock's Arena Rocker Era of the 1970s. We were reminded of that last night with Pearl Jam's return to this hallowed hall. Lacking the old scoreboard, the Laker Championship Banners and retired jerseys, Ed pointed out the lack of advertisements that adorn ever other venue in this country. This was definately the way the place looked when The Who played 'Quadrophenia' there in 1973 (it was 33 year ago, not 20) and when Led Zeppelin did their marathon gigs there. It's memories that the place holds and last night's show just added another layer to those walls.
    It was a great 'Greatest Hits' show that was a mix of all of the songs that everyone who has ever listened to a Rock radio station, mixed with deep album cuts and songs in support of their latest studio offering. The band was in top form, hopefully getting a full rest from the Las Vegas/San Diego stint last week. I hope they found some time to visit family and friends and to look over the Pacific Ocean, that is the strength inspiration for so many of us on this side of the country. I'm guessing they did... and it shone through their blistering set.
    From the opening strains of 'Release', always been one of my personal favorites to the final notes from Mike's trademark Strat, the show was one of those wonderful memories of the Forum for me... even though, I admit to passing out in 1975 during Jimmy Page's 20 minute freeform guitar noisemaking solos (but was really, really stoned back then)... still, another Forum memory to file away in the memory banks.
    The only thing that seperated a 2006 Pearl Jam show from the legendary 70's gigs of The Who, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath was the Bic Lighters that everyone in the house used to have. I guess we ALL smoked cigarettes and pot back then, so we all had Bic's or matches and the place would light up like the Milky Way during 'Stairway To Heaven' or 'See Me, Feel Me'. Swaying cell phones during 'Black' is totally lame and so 'Anti-Rock' in my book... but, I'll take that trade to prevent the cloud of toxic smoke that used to fill the place and only became visable to us when the house lights came on.
    All in all, another example of Pearl Jam being one of the greatest live acts in all of Rock history and the main reason why I... and so many, of us love this band.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    After attending San Diego, this show was hard for me to get into. The setlists were just too similar and it took a lot of the enjoyment of the show away from me, unfortunately, because this was a really solid show. The crowd was surprisingly into it (as far as I could tell), the setlist was pretty damn good, and the band is still on fire.

But one of the reasons this band is amazing to see is the unpredictability of the any given show. With SD only two days prior, and with how amazing an experience it was, I felt like I was having Deja Vu with each song the band played. This really took a big part of the fun of being at a PJ show out of the experience.

I think the band lost a part of the crowd during the middle of the show and they didn't return until the second encore. I do believe Ed noticed this, as he tried (but failed) to keep the momentum going during his intro to Big Wave by talking really fast. The second encore was the definite highlight for me of this particular show (and Crown of Thorns, too).
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Forum in Los Angeles is a throwback relic from Rock's Arena Rocker Era of the 1970s. We were reminded of that last night with Pearl Jam's return to this hallowed hall. Lacking the old scoreboard, the Laker Championship Banners and retired jerseys, Ed pointed out the lack of advertisements that adorn ever other venue in this country. This was definately the way the place looked when The Who played 'Quadrophenia' there in 1973 (it was 33 year ago, not 20) and when Led Zeppelin did their marathon gigs there. It's memories that the place holds and last night's show just added another layer to those walls.
    It was a great 'Greatest Hits' show that was a mix of all of the songs that everyone who has ever listened to a Rock radio station, mixed with deep album cuts and songs in support of their latest studio offering. The band was in top form, hopefully getting a full rest from the Las Vegas/San Diego stint last week. I hope they found some time to visit family and friends and to look over the Pacific Ocean, that is the strength inspiration for so many of us on this side of the country. I'm guessing they did... and it shone through their blistering set.
    From the opening strains of 'Release', always been one of my personal favorites to the final notes from Mike's trademark Strat, the show was one of those wonderful memories of the Forum for me... even though, I admit to passing out in 1975 during Jimmy Page's 20 minute freeform guitar noisemaking solos (but was really, really stoned back then)... still, another Forum memory to file away in the memory banks.
    The only thing that seperated a 2006 Pearl Jam show from the legendary 70's gigs of The Who, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath was the Bic Lighters that everyone in the house used to have. I guess we ALL smoked cigarettes and pot back then, so we all had Bic's or matches and the place would light up like the Milky Way during 'Stairway To Heaven' or 'See Me, Feel Me'. Swaying cell phones during 'Black' is totally lame and so 'Anti-Rock' in my book... but, I'll take that trade to prevent the cloud of toxic smoke that used to fill the place and only became visable to us when the house lights came on.
    All in all, another example of Pearl Jam being one of the greatest live acts in all of Rock history and the main reason why I... and so many, of us love this band.

You pretty much summed it up. Inside these walls in 77, Keith Moon joined Zeppelin on stage. 1970, 5th encore Zeppelin runs out of material and they do a jammin version of Blueberry Hill.

My fav Forum moment in 1988 when Plant finally started including Zep songs in his set, was when he opened with a few of his songs, then there was a long instrumental jam, then broke into "In the Evening". I have never heard a louder burst of crowd noise ever before, ever again than when he chanted IN THE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVENING and the band crashed into that song. I wish I could have a chip from a wall which has absorbed all this over the years.

Just to be a band in that venue...... You could see it in Ed's face. Even from Loge26 Row V.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    This was my least favorite show I've ever attended. Pearl Jam played it safe and the crowd seemed dead for portions of the show. I'm glad this show was in my hometown and I didn't have to drive far or else I'd be really pissed. Highlight of the night was the Tim Robbins duo with Eddie on "heres to the state of mississippi". I am not as excited to go tonight as I should be because of this show but I can only hope it's better than last night. Last Kiss should be permenantly deleted from their future playlist. Once again, Pearl Jam played it safe for the laid back L.A crowd!

dude you've lost it. The audience was incredible. I agree that they played it safe, in that the setlist was very similar to San Diego, but they totally rocked the hell out of the place. Pull your head out of your ass.
    Matt and I are friends.
  • Options

yes I would like to Second everything losangelesfan just had to say.
    Matt and I are friends.