Options

Early Kraftwerk

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited November 2011 in Other Music
Is anyone here a fan of their first three albums?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4yvEKN7r8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Not really, although that's a great picture.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Haha, that was good. But they weren't always robots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbK1GulvSDQ

1970!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    I so totally love Autobahn.  I listened to it again today and was yet again mesmerized.  Every time I listen to that A-side I'm taken into some amazing place.  There's just nothing like it that I know... except maybe more Kraftwerk, something I don't have.  I must so something about that.
    Besides loving the album, the cover is so cool, front and back!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I meant to add some things to my above post...
    I'm generally not a synth fan, but like I said, I think Autobahn is phenomenal album!  The only other musicians/bands I'm into that use a fair amount of synthesizer in their music are Brian Eno and Gary Numan- but in their work, synths are often not as predominant.
    So I'm wondering, are there other Kraftwerk  fans here and if so, what other similar music would you recommend?  I'm always looking to broaden my music horizons! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    I dabbled in Kraftwerk, would like to listen to a little more of them. 
    Depeche Mode is fairly synthy…
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    erebus said:
    I dabbled in Kraftwerk, would like to listen to a little more of them. 
    Depeche Mode is fairly synthy…

Never could get into Depeche Mode.  Good band, just didn't work for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2021
    brianlux said:
    I'm generally not a synth fan, but like I said, I think Autobahn is phenomenal album!  The only other musicians/bands I'm into that use a fair amount of synthesizer in their music are Brian Eno and Gary Numan- but in their work, synths are often not as predominant.
    So I'm wondering, are there other Kraftwerk  fans here and if so, what other similar music would you recommend?  I'm always looking to broaden my music horizons! 
    Ultravox, Yazoo, Tangerine Dream, New Order, Human League, OMD are some of the bands that come to mind.
    Tears for Fears had a synth sound… still listen to Songs From the Big Chair on occasion. 

Upstairs at Eric’s by Yazoo is good. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Ultravox, Yazoo, Tangerine Dream, New Order, Human League, OMD are some of the bands that come to mind.
    Tears for Fears had a synth sound… still listen to Songs From the Big Chair on occasion. 

Interestingly, almost all of these are groups the I at least somewhat liked at the time, but none really held up for me like Kraftwerk.  Maybe I'm just not a big synth fan after all!  Although that said, I still love Eno's work and Japan did a lot of stuff I still like a lot.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Interestingly, almost all of these are groups the I at least somewhat liked at the time, but none really held up for me like Kraftwerk.  Maybe I'm just not a big synth fan after all!  Although that said, I still love Eno's work and Japan did a lot of stuff I still like a lot.
    Japan is one I forgot. They reissued Quiet Life recently. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Japan is one I forgot. They reissued Quiet Life recently. 

Great album!  Nice to hear about that!
    David Sylvian has done some fine solo work as well- Brilliant Trees is excellent!
    I've always thought Mick Karn's bass playing is amazing and I really like his solo album, Titles.  Sadly, he died way to young at 52 of cancer.