Options

Pizza A Vegetable?

skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
edited November 2011 in A Moving Train
If I didn't already believe the government didn't care for the well being of its citizens, I think I would start believing it now. In no way can this be considered even plausible...are they to redefine what a vegetable/fruit is???? can this really be...this is just ass backwards! My head is now spinning! Now people will use this as an excuse and then wonder why....ugh...never mind....http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellb ... Government
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    I remember back in the 80s the government said that ketchup was a vegetable. No wonder we're all turning into unhealthy couch potatoes.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    yes and the ones that suffer are the young....especially the ones in public school where processed french fries and pizza are vegetables...so says the government...
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Who cares? You are the only one that knows what is good for you. Listen to your body.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    Who cares? You are the only one that knows what is good for you. Listen to your body.
    wow..and pizza is a vegetable
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Danimal wrote:

When kids have to buy lunch at school they don't have much of a choice what to eat. And that's why this is a problem. School lunches are now calling pizza a vegetable.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Healthy, not healthy? It depends on how it's made... no matter what you call it. My wife makes a killer pizza (I chop, she assembles) that is very tasty, has lots of great organic ingredients and is not overcooked. Definitely not what most kids are getting in these schools-- I wish it were. I'll look for the recipe and post it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Freedom fries!
  • Options
    Danimal wrote:
    You are the only one that knows what is good for you. Listen to your body.

Is that what you say to a child?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so these pizzas are cheeseless as well as meatless, not to mention without a base??? heck! thats a salad... maybe pizza is a vegetable afterall. :shock:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's shows based in America?

In one of them he stood in front of a class of 13-14 year olds and showed them various fruit and vegetable's like a potato, a tomato, a pear, e.t.c, and asked the students what these things were.

None of the students could answer him.
  • Options
    potato is the best invention EVER!!!

and yeah i saw it byrnzie... but to keep my sanity i like to think it was representative of just that class not children in america as a whole.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    potato is the best invention EVER!!!

and yeah i saw it byrnzie... but to keep my sanity i like to think it was representative of just that class not children in america as a whole.

I think he repeated it on another class later in the series and got the same result.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's shows based in America?

I remember that show, mostly because no matter how fancy or healthy the dishes he prepared were, the kids refused to eat them. Probably why they had to cancel the series, because it was such a failure.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    I wouldn't consider Pizza itself to be a vegetable, but it does contain components of all 5 major food groups.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    arthurdent wrote:
    I remember that show, mostly because no matter how fancy or healthy the dishes he prepared were, the kids refused to eat them. Probably why they had to cancel the series, because it was such a failure.

They refused at first, but by the end of the series all the kids were eating his food and saying how they preferred it to the previous unhealthy crap they were fed. And the series wasn't cancelled.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    What is either a fruit or a vegetable is really debatable...some call a tomato a vegetable.....some call it a fruit....which is botanically correct....this just shows that the pizza pushers have great lobbyists. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Last time I checked tomatos were a fruit. So I guess that means that pizza should actually be called a fruit.
  • Options
    I believe that I read that the Potato pushers lobbyists also got something slide into a spending bill that the FDA or who ever attempts to control school lunch menus can NOT limit the amount of potatoes or similar starchy vegetables served in school lunches.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I believe that I read that the Potato pushers lobbyists also got something slide into a spending bill that the FDA or who ever attempts to control school lunch menus can NOT limit the amount of potatoes or similar starchy vegetables served in school lunches.

The problem isn't potatoes. The problem is French fries.

In England we prefer to eat oven chips. Similar to French fries except we oven bake them, meaning they're not as bad for your health. Though oven chips take longer to cook - approx 15-20 minutes, as opposed to fries, which take 3 minutes.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    tybird wrote:

The problem isn't potatoes. The problem is French fries.

In England we prefer to eat oven chips. Similar to French fries except we oven bake them, meaning they're not as bad for your health. Though oven chips take longer to cook - approx 15-20 minutes, as opposed to fries, which take 3 minutes.
    The problem is actually too much starch and/or carbohydrates.....many schools and school systems have already removed deep fat fryers.....and have transitioned to baked fries similar to what you described...the idea was to require more green vegetables as opposed to an endless parade of baked fries...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/us/sc ... wanted=all

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paste.html
  • Options
    a fruit is the edible part of a plant that has seeds whether sweet or savory. a vegetable is the edible part of the plant... leaf, stem or root, that does not have seeds....hhhmmm pizza....is there a pizza plant that I don't know about? also, if we want to get technical, the amount of sauce on a slice of pizza, the only part that could be considered fruit/vegetable, isn't even a servings worth.

I do agree pizza can be a healthy choice...but in reality, unless you make it at home, it probably isn't. the majority of what a pizza is is white flour, a grain, a very processed grain that has lost the majority of its nutrient through said processing. i think teaching children that pizza is a vegetable is unconscionable!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    arthurdent wrote:
    I wouldn't consider Pizza itself to be a vegetable, but it does contain components of all 5 major food groups.
    i remember being taught in first and second grades that pizza is "the perfect food" because it has elements of every food group :o:o:o ....no wonder so many of us are obese and type II diabetic...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i dont see why pizza cant good for you.... or at least not that bad for you...its loaded with vegetables... at least mine are. sure it sits on a bread type base but you dont have to make them with traditional pizza bases. and maybe cheese isnt all that good for you.. but its not like you sink the pizza with it... just a little cheese to keep everything from sliding into your lap.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Isn't this topic from 1975? :?

:lol:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    I believe healthful living is relevant at any time...
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Pizza can be healthy. In most cases it's pretty fattening, but I don't care. At 33 I have the same metabolism as I did a teenager. I eat what I want, except no sweets. 8-)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    There's really no nutritional difference between eating good pizza and pasta with marinara sauce.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Its important to serve kids what they will eat.

If it goes in the garbage can what good is that and it is wasteful.

Pizza is a good source of nutrition for kids, its fun, it will get eaten and not thrown away.

French fries maybe a bit more empty calories and grease, maybe baked potatoes wedges
    coud be substituted.

Sure beats our trays 50 years ago ... damn .... everything was so overcooked and mushy
    I'm sure not a vitamin or mineral was left.

PB ruled though :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Gob wrote:
    Pizza can be healthy. In most cases it's pretty fattening, but I don't care. At 33 I have the same metabolism as I did a teenager. I eat what I want, except no sweets. 8-)

Where's the "envy" smilie? :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    anything could be a vegetable then. i have a bowl of chocolate ice cream w/ green peppers, mushrooms, olives, spinach with garlic chicken and cheese in it.. i have a badass vegetable now. this government is insane and lead by idiotic loop hole bullshit juggling acts.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce