Backspacer vs Avocado

Comments

• Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Every album is great........But ........have to go with Avocado
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    boyo79 wrote:
    Riot Act is my favourite album! And Binaural is up there as well. I put Lost Dogs ahead of Backspacer :D

Someone mentioned Supersonic - I forgot about that song, I think that is probably the worst 'full' song they've ever done (when I say 'full' song its because I don't include stuff like FoxyMop or Bugs)

It's got an awesome bridge, though. Strange thing about BS. Most of the songs have awesome bridges.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    boyo79 wrote:
    Juan Godoy wrote:

The beginning? You realize Ed pretty much wrote every note and every word of Vitalogy, with only a few exceptions, right?

I would argue that the albums started to slip when other band members got too much control over the songs. To me, it's no coincidence that Binaural and Riot Act are generally considered the two weakest albums. I like them both, and some songs on each are fucking stellar, but I think if most of us were ranking the albums, they'd be in the bottom two.

Not enough Ed on either. Too much delegating. At least for my taste. I prefer Ed songs.

Riot Act is my favourite album! And Binaural is up there as well. I put Lost Dogs ahead of Backspacer :D

Someone mentioned Supersonic - I forgot about that song, I think that is probably the worst 'full' song they've ever done (when I say 'full' song its because I don't include stuff like FoxyMop or Bugs)

Where do you stand on Mankind?
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,447
    I find Supersonic to be one of the highlights of Backspacer, but I understand I'm in the minority on that one.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    butte1 wrote:

I actually like Mankind. For its goofiness really. And Don't Gimme No Lip too. With them you know the band (or Stone) aren't trying too hard and are just having fun but with Supersonic I get the feeling the band actually think its a good song. How wrong they are.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    Just too much EV for me on this album and not enough Pearl Jam.

really true..

but i thing song's like Come Back or Gone are the beginning of all this..

The beginning? You realize Ed pretty much wrote every note and every word of Vitalogy, with only a few exceptions, right?

I would argue that the albums started to slip when other band members got too much control over the songs. To me, it's no coincidence that Binaural and Riot Act are generally considered the two weakest albums. I like them both, and some songs on each are fucking stellar, but I think if most of us were ranking the albums, they'd be in the bottom two.

Not enough Ed on either. Too much delegating. At least for my taste. I prefer Ed songs.
    I didnt know that about Vitalogy. But I'm pretty sure most of the music (not lyrics) from Ten and Vs were other members of PJ. And those are the albums that really set the standard for all PJ albums. And I agree with you that most people dislike both of these albums. I really really love Avocado. I'll never understand why people hate Inside Job or Come Back or Gone. Three of my top 25 PJ songs. As for backspacer, I'll never understand why people love Unthought Known or The End. I dont hate these songs, but I definately dont love them either.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

I actually like Mankind. For its goofiness really. And Don't Gimme No Lip too. With them you know the band (or Stone) aren't trying too hard and are just having fun but with Supersonic I get the feeling the band actually think its a good song. How wrong they are.
    I agree with you on Mankind and Supersonic, because they are fun and crazy. Catchy riffs. Dont really love supersonic but it is a good song.
  • Options
    colors blendcolors blend Posts: 196
    I like to mash the 2 as follows....

Gonna See My Friend
    Life Wasted
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Johnny Guitar
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Wave
    Unthought Known
    Unemployable
    Wasted Reprise
    Force of Nature
    Inside Job
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • Options
    Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    It really amazes me that people don't like Inside Job. I think it's one of the greatest songs Pearl Jam have ever made.
    boom +1

as in BOOM, not Mr Gasper
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    boyo79 wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

I love Mankind, one of my favorite tunes but I don''t think Pj is smirking at that song or "aren't trying too hard". Listen to every song that Stone basically has written, it's clear he has a "style". Like I said earlier, I did not even need to read the credits to know Supersonic was written by Stone. Personally I don't see how you can like Mankind but not like Supersonic as they are practically the same song so to speak. Seems like either you like Stone's style or you don't but his style is unique and like I said, I don't think it's toungue and cheek I think it is just his style. As for lyrics, well depends on whether Eddie wrote the lyrics or if Stone did but I like what Stone brings musically, it is a big divergance from Mike and Eddie IMHO. Just like I like what Matt brings. But Supersonic is a good song in my opinion and it absolutely rocked when they played in Chicago a couple years ago live. To each their own but you and I disagree on this one big time. :)
    Post edited by butte1 on
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:

I didnt know that about Vitalogy. But I'm pretty sure most of the music (not lyrics) from Ten and Vs were other members of PJ. And those are the albums that really set the standard for all PJ albums. And I agree with you that most people dislike both of these albums. I really really love Avocado. I'll never understand why people hate Inside Job or Come Back or Gone. Three of my top 25 PJ songs. As for backspacer, I'll never understand why people love Unthought Known or The End. I dont hate these songs, but I definately dont love them either.

Unthought Known has this build up to it that you just feel like you want to explode by the time it hits it's apex and is just one of the greatest live songs while also being a great studio song. It is also a great lyrical song.

The End is an absolute master piece in story telling through song. I hear it as a dad who has children and is dying from cancer and he doesn't want to leave and he doesn't want his wife to see him this way and just wants her to remember him as we has. I honetly don't know how people can listen to that song and not jsut cry every time. How can you not like it?
  • Options
    I like to mash the 2 as follows....

Gonna See My Friend
    Life Wasted
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Johnny Guitar
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Wave
    Unthought Known
    Unemployable
    Wasted Reprise
    Force of Nature
    Inside Job

Replace Johnny Guitar with virtually any song from either album and you've really got your self something there ;)
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    Just too much EV for me on this album and not enough Pearl Jam.

really true..

but i thing song's like Come Back or Gone are the beginning of all this..

I would argue that if given a poll, that universally Ten and Vs. are considered the bands two best albums and that those two albums had some of the most collaboration in that every band member contributed almost equally. So how can you say they started to slip when other band members got more control when in fact their best albums were created when Eddie had the least control so to speak? Seems like an invalid argument. I just think the band has always tried to reinivent itself and to try and change and grow, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and as we can see on this thread every person seems to have a different opinion on what worked and what didn't
  • Options
    butte1 wrote:
    I would argue that if given a poll, that universally Ten and Vs. are considered the bands two best albums and that those two albums had some of the most collaboration in that every band member contributed almost equally. So how can you say they started to slip when other band members got more control when in fact their best albums were created when Eddie had the least control so to speak? Seems like an invalid argument. I just think the band has always tried to reinivent itself and to try and change and grow, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and as we can see on this thread every person seems to have a different opinion on what worked and what didn't

How many lyrics did Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt, Dave 1, Dave 2, Matt 2 or anyone else contribute to Ten or Vs.?

The answer is zero.

Now look at Binaural and Riot Act. Ed did not write the lyrics to like half the songs on those two albums. Part of the reason, to me, those albums are the weakest (keep in mind I said I like them ... they are just my least favorite).

It was too collaborative, in my opinion.

The best albums, to me, are the ones that strike the balance between other contributing music and riffs and others contributing whole, completed songs, lyrics and all.

If you're looking for the hole in my theory, the answer would be Yield. That had two complete Jeff songs and two complete Stone songs, and rates (to me) as the band's best album. I think it's the exception that proves the rule. Lowlight just happens to be superior to God's Dice, and so forth.
  • Options
    butte1 wrote:

How many lyrics did Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt, Dave 1, Dave 2, Matt 2 or anyone else contribute to Ten or Vs.?

The answer is zero.

Now look at Binaural and Riot Act. Ed did not write the lyrics to like half the songs on those two albums. Part of the reason, to me, those albums are the weakest (keep in mind I said I like them ... they are just my least favorite).

It was too collaborative, in my opinion.

The best albums, to me, are the ones that strike the balance between other contributing music and riffs and others contributing whole, completed songs, lyrics and all.

Ed is one of the best lyricists of all time. Letting someone else handle those chores is like the Indianapolis Colts benching Peyton Manning and letting the left tackle play quarterback for a series. The songs the others write, in full, just aren't as good.

If you're looking for the hole in my theory, the answer would be Yield. That had two complete Jeff songs and two complete Stone songs, and rates (to me) as the band's best album. I think it's the exception that proves the rule. Lowlight just happens to be superior to God's Dice, and so forth. Swinging for the fence, got lucky with a strike. ;)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    butte1 wrote:
    Unthought Known has this build up to it that you just feel like you want to explode by the time it hits it's apex and is just one of the greatest live songs while also being a great studio song. It is also a great lyrical song.

Not nearly one of their best live tunes. I've heard MSG was legendary, but the 2x I witnessed it the crowd was not that into it at all. It was a low point at both St Louis and Indy last year.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

Not nearly one of their best live tunes. I've heard MSG was legendary, but the 2x I witnessed it the crowd was not that into it at all. It was a low point at both St Louis and Indy last year.

I've often thought the difference between "great live tune" and "setlist killer" is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.

As in, if its a song you already like and have been looking forward to, you tend to think it went over great. If its a song you already hate or have been dreading, you'll decide it sucked the energy out of the building.

Often, two people can look at the same performance of the same song and see two different things.
  • Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    Backspacer for me.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Too bad that it is only Backspacer and ST, for Vitalogy would win for me anytime...

But to be honest, I would go for BS (funny if you use these two letters). I always felt that ST was an answer to RA in a way; how introvert RA was, so aggressive and in-the-face was ST. To me BS was the more natural follow up of Binaural. (Thematically and lyrically.) Also experimental wise. I love Just Breathe and The End. To me a more experimental and less-commercial album would be great. ST was IMO trying to hard "to make a statement" again. BS was more introvert...

I like introvert... I like personal... I like "trying out new sound and soundscapes". To me ST was too much a "rock album" without the diversity that makes Pearl Jam, well, Pearl Jam...
  • Options
    I love the fuck out of avocado. Backspacer, not so much
  • Options
    Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    Another vote for the Avocado. I hate Parachutes quite a bit, but like most everything else on it. Backspacer strikes me as a very weak effort. There's some songs I like from BS, but it also has moments that make me absolutely cringe and think that a shift toward commercial soft rock was introduced by Brendan. There's a lot on BS that feels foreign and layered on top of the music, rather than being produced by a band member in the moment. I don't like some Boom stuff, but it's worlds more integrated into the music and band than some of the stuff Brendan piled on BS.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    edited July 2011
    "butte1 wrote:

The End is an absolute master piece in story telling through song. I hear it as a dad who has children and is dying from cancer and he doesn't want to leave and he doesn't want his wife to see him this way and just wants her to remember him as we has. I honetly don't know how people can listen to that song and not jsut cry every time. How can you not like it?

I completely agree with you on The End. Beautiful piece of music.

However with Unthought Known I feel it starts alright and builds up and then goes nowhere. To me it sounds like they wrote half the song and then didn't know what else to do. I just don't like it and think its so so over-rated. I will concede that maybe when I see it live I could change my opinion.

I actually think it builds like Given To Fly but its nowhere near as good.
    Post edited by boyo79 on
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    this is hard for me. Self titled was like a return to roots album, loved it. I also love Backspacer too. I love to see bands branch out and grow- and Backspacer felt that way to me.

They both have their gems.

Although, Backspacer songs worked easer with Ed's solo tour, they both are great records in their own right.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    I find Supersonic to be one of the highlights of Backspacer, but I understand I'm in the minority on that one.

maybe I am too then!!!
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    so so so easy.

Backspacer. No contest for me!
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546

Every word yes, but every note??

I'll give you Not for You, Corduroy, Better Man & Immortality but I wouldn't say the others were all Ed (if at all musically).

Oh and in response to the original question...it's hard. It depends what mood I'm in (like all the albums really)
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    butte1 wrote:

I've often thought the difference between "great live tune" and "setlist killer" is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.

As in, if its a song you already like and have been looking forward to, you tend to think it went over great. If its a song you already hate or have been dreading, you'll decide it sucked the energy out of the building.

Often, two people can look at the same performance of the same song and see two different things.

I was looking forward to it, b/c the hype it received from the 09 Fall tour. It just didn't live up to it. There's not really a live song I don't get into, but the crowd just didn't respond to it the way they did to alot of tunes at both of those shows.
  • Options
    Also experimental wise. I love Just Breathe and The End. To me a more experimental and less-commercial album would be great. ST was IMO trying to hard "to make a statement" again. BS was more introvert...

I like introvert... I like personal... I like "trying out new sound and soundscapes". To me ST was too much a "rock album" without the diversity that makes Pearl Jam, well, Pearl Jam...

This would all be true in Opposite City.
  • Options
    I love the fuck out of avocado. Backspacer, not so much
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    pdalowsky wrote:

maybe I am too then!!!

+1 Supersonic has one of my all time favorite lyrics. "Ive been thinking, I already know, nothin bout nothin or so I have been told. I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold. I cut the crease & put the shit in the fold."
    Brilliant!