***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

12224262728

Comments

  • mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 654
    Has anyone who joined the fanclub during the recent ticket on-sales received their fanclub "gift" yet?
    what's the gift u r looking for? just curious
    The one due to me as a result of joining....not sure if it is mailed upon joining, or if everyone gets them at the same time.
    Did you select one of the existing available gifts from the past 2 years (set of lithographs or Another Time Another Place vinyl) or the "2017 Gift"? if you chose the 2017 gift, it hasn't been announced what it is yet let alone when it'll be sent. (Think Pearl Jam Christmas single timeline.) If you chose one of the others, it should have been sent right when you subscribed.
    Currently it says this in my account. 1 U2com12 Subscription Gift 2017 1 U2com12 Premium New Membership: 2017 Gift + Double Vinyl 1 U2com12 Premium New Subscription Package 2017: 2017 Gift + Double Vinyl 1 U2com10 2014/2015: Another Time, Another Place - Double Vinyl
    A few days ago U2 fan club let me know the album was on back order.  Today I got confirmation it was shipped.  Hopefully you will be getting an email confirmation soon.


    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    U2 Vancouver was awesome. If you think it wasn't fantastic that's okay, but I wanted to chime in again that I couldn't have been happier.

    First night of the tour was expectedly going to have a few hiccups- all part of any tour. And the show could have ended on a more upbeat level, but Bono's voice was fresh and sounded as good as any could have hoped for... and all things considered... fantastic: brilliant intro with A Sort of Homecoming as a personal highlight.

    BC Place failed, but that had nothing to do with U2. 
    I thought the setlist was really good in Vancouver - no complaints there. My biggest beef was the sound, and the unfortunate vibe with the crowd, likely because of the debacle outside. The crowd was oddly subdued for much of the show IMO, and that always leaves an impression on me. And I agree, that had nothing to do with U2. The sound issues probably did have something to do with their crew having technical issues - I could see that the band wasn't happy about it at times; they were having problems hearing themselves properly I think, which is why there were times when they were off-key. Anyway, I enjoyed it... but I know it could have been better.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 3,278
    Any issues getting into the venue in Seattle?
    None, real easy, I had CC entry took maybe 10 minutes.
    We ran into a glitch that costed us half of Mumford's performance. Century Link has a bag policy. Unless I missed something, in no ways was it communicated beforehand. It's the stadium's policy that no bags larger than 4" x 6.5" are allowed in the stadium. So upon getting in line before showtime we're told my wife's purse, which is maybe 8"x10" (small by purse standards methinks), wasn't allowed in the stadium. We were too far from our lodging to return there so our only option was to check it in w/ a locker company outside the stadium. We waited in lines for 30 minutes w/ several hundred others to check in her purse for $20. We were given an armband, and then after the show waited in line again to get it back. Fortunately, we made it to our seats for the second half of Mumford's ten song set. My grievance is we paid $500+ for the tickets thru Ticketmaster. Either they or U2 should have been explicit on the stadium policy's days before the show so all ticket holders could come prepared. Unless you've been to Century Link before they had you walking into a speed trap. The credit card entry was easy and flawless. As Zod said, I wish the receipt the scanners give to you was more souvenir-like.

    Big picture-wise, it was a tremendous show: songs that need to be heard and presented in a way that needs to be seen. The visuals in how they accompanied the music were Pink Floyd-esque. I loved the badass, unpretentious start: Larry Mullen casually walking the stage, down the catwalk, assuming his position at the drum kit out amongst the crowd, and then without fuss or pause lifting the drum sticks and launching into the staccato beats to start Sunday Bloody Sunday. Ed's unexpected appearance and the sing out w/ Mumford and Sons was one of the reasons I go to shows. It was like witnessing a great fourth quarter comeback or a walk off home run. The show still would have been really good had he not guested, but it pushed the whole experience into another stratosphere.

    For those that are going to upcoming shows you're in for a treat. I recommend you don't watch any videos so that everything is fresh and new when you see it live.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    A 4" by 6.5" bag maximum??? That is fucking crazy. I don't own a single purse that small - not even close. What a stupid rule!! I have never heard of that for a concert before.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan MarylandPosts: 8,746
     I can tell you Metallica sent out an email before the Baltimore show with all kinds of FAQ with regards to this. Think they put it all over their social media too to try and warn people ahead of time. And Ravens stadium had signs as you walk up warning about bag sizes along with what you can and can;t bring in.  Figured most bands playing stadiums this size would do that  Surprised Seattle did not. NFL has been pretty vocal about what you can and can not bring into the stadiums and size restrictions. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • patrickwieczorepatrickwieczore West SeattlePosts: 459
    PJ_Soul said:
    A 4" by 6.5" bag maximum??? That is fucking crazy. I don't own a single purse that small - not even close. What a stupid rule!! I have never heard of that for a concert before.
    NFL Stadium NFL rules...
  • patrickwieczorepatrickwieczore West SeattlePosts: 459
     I can tell you Metallica sent out an email before the Baltimore show with all kinds of FAQ with regards to this. Think they put it all over their social media too to try and warn people ahead of time. And Ravens stadium had signs as you walk up warning about bag sizes along with what you can and can;t bring in.  Figured most bands playing stadiums this size would do that  Surprised Seattle did not. NFL has been pretty vocal about what you can and can not bring into the stadiums and size restrictions. 
    Emails were sent out to ticket holders, stating bag sizes, etc...
  • patrickwieczorepatrickwieczore West SeattlePosts: 459
    jjflash said:
    Any issues getting into the venue in Seattle?
    None, real easy, I had CC entry took maybe 10 minutes.
    We ran into a glitch that costed us half of Mumford's performance. Century Link has a bag policy. Unless I missed something, in no ways was it communicated beforehand. It's the stadium's policy that no bags larger than 4" x 6.5" are allowed in the stadium. So upon getting in line before showtime we're told my wife's purse, which is maybe 8"x10" (small by purse standards methinks), wasn't allowed in the stadium. We were too far from our lodging to return there so our only option was to check it in w/ a locker company outside the stadium. We waited in lines for 30 minutes w/ several hundred others to check in her purse for $20. We were given an armband, and then after the show waited in line again to get it back. Fortunately, we made it to our seats for the second half of Mumford's ten song set. My grievance is we paid $500+ for the tickets thru Ticketmaster. Either they or U2 should have been explicit on the stadium policy's days before the show so all ticket holders could come prepared. Unless you've been to Century Link before they had you walking into a speed trap. The credit card entry was easy and flawless. As Zod said, I wish the receipt the scanners give to you was more souvenir-like.

    Big picture-wise, it was a tremendous show: songs that need to be heard and presented in a way that needs to be seen. The visuals in how they accompanied the music were Pink Floyd-esque. I loved the badass, unpretentious start: Larry Mullen casually walking the stage, down the catwalk, assuming his position at the drum kit out amongst the crowd, and then without fuss or pause lifting the drum sticks and launching into the staccato beats to start Sunday Bloody Sunday. Ed's unexpected appearance and the sing out w/ Mumford and Sons was one of the reasons I go to shows. It was like witnessing a great fourth quarter comeback or a walk off home run. The show still would have been really good had he not guested, but it pushed the whole experience into another stratosphere.

    For those that are going to upcoming shows you're in for a treat. I recommend you don't watch any videos so that everything is fresh and new when you see it live.
    You may have missed it, I received multiple emails stating size restrictions, but I expected it, because we missed a Seahawks game because of those bag size limit's. Wife's purse was too big :( 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    I couldn't even fit the bare necessities that I carry with me in a bag that small, lol. My wallet alone is almost that size. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 3,278
    jjflash said:
    Any issues getting into the venue in Seattle?
    None, real easy, I had CC entry took maybe 10 minutes.
    We ran into a glitch that costed us half of Mumford's performance. Century Link has a bag policy. Unless I missed something, in no ways was it communicated beforehand. It's the stadium's policy that no bags larger than 4" x 6.5" are allowed in the stadium. So upon getting in line before showtime we're told my wife's purse, which is maybe 8"x10" (small by purse standards methinks), wasn't allowed in the stadium. We were too far from our lodging to return there so our only option was to check it in w/ a locker company outside the stadium. We waited in lines for 30 minutes w/ several hundred others to check in her purse for $20. We were given an armband, and then after the show waited in line again to get it back. Fortunately, we made it to our seats for the second half of Mumford's ten song set. My grievance is we paid $500+ for the tickets thru Ticketmaster. Either they or U2 should have been explicit on the stadium policy's days before the show so all ticket holders could come prepared. Unless you've been to Century Link before they had you walking into a speed trap. The credit card entry was easy and flawless. As Zod said, I wish the receipt the scanners give to you was more souvenir-like.

    Big picture-wise, it was a tremendous show: songs that need to be heard and presented in a way that needs to be seen. The visuals in how they accompanied the music were Pink Floyd-esque. I loved the badass, unpretentious start: Larry Mullen casually walking the stage, down the catwalk, assuming his position at the drum kit out amongst the crowd, and then without fuss or pause lifting the drum sticks and launching into the staccato beats to start Sunday Bloody Sunday. Ed's unexpected appearance and the sing out w/ Mumford and Sons was one of the reasons I go to shows. It was like witnessing a great fourth quarter comeback or a walk off home run. The show still would have been really good had he not guested, but it pushed the whole experience into another stratosphere.

    For those that are going to upcoming shows you're in for a treat. I recommend you don't watch any videos so that everything is fresh and new when you see it live.
    You may have missed it, I received multiple emails stating size restrictions, but I expected it, because we missed a Seahawks game because of those bag size limit's. Wife's purse was too big :( 
    I stand corrected. CenturyLink Field sent one email on 5/10 regarding acceptable bag sizes. And it's a 4.5"x6.5" limit, LOL. Had I read it I still don't think I'd have correlated a purse that holds little more than a wallet as being too big to get into the stadium. Live you learn, I guess.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    It's a stupid, ridiculous rule IMO. Completely paranoid.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Anam.Anam. Posts: 8
    We got up early to listen to the Vancouver gigs and felt sorry for the poor folks stuck outside. Mumford and Sons are a big act to miss. Hopefully there won't be similar nonsense on this side of the pond in July; I do not want to miss Noel Gallagher!

    Eddie's turn on Mothers of the Disappeared was fantastic in Seattle.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    edited May 17
    Anam. said:
    We got up early to listen to the Vancouver gigs and felt sorry for the poor folks stuck outside. Mumford and Sons are a big act to miss. Hopefully there won't be similar nonsense on this side of the pond in July; I do not want to miss Noel Gallagher!

    Eddie's turn on Mothers of the Disappeared was fantastic in Seattle.
    You probably don't have to worry. Few venues are as useless as BC Place. They are masters at screwing up big events.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 5,151
    PJ_Soul said:
    A 4" by 6.5" bag maximum??? That is fucking crazy. I don't own a single purse that small - not even close. What a stupid rule!! I have never heard of that for a concert before.
    NFL Stadium NFL rules...
    Yah, my wife and I ran into that when we went to the a Seahawks game last November (for temple of the dog weekend).    Same crap with having to go deal with lockers and pay more money.

    I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.   You can fit alot into a purse, so I guess there could be concern's that security might miss weapons or something.   On the other hand it's not very cool that most people don't know about it until they get to the stadium :(   Maybe print right on the ticket.   No bags! and people could prepare accordingly :(
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Pompano Beach, FloridaPosts: 9,874
    I really want to see these guys at Gillete Stadium now after seeing Metallica last night. Cool place for a show. Anybody got an extra pair for Foxboro?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16


  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 641
    thefixer9 said:
    Achtung Baby is just awesome!!! :mrgreen:
    Yes I think that is my favourite U2 album as well.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Pompano Beach, FloridaPosts: 9,874
    Has there been an opening band this tour? What time has U2 been hitting the stage generally?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16


  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OHPosts: 9,841
    Has there been an opening band this tour? What time has U2 been hitting the stage generally?

    Mumford & Sons opened the first few shows of the tour...

    The Lumineers & One Republic are the opening acts for the rest of the North American tour.

    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds are opening on the European Tour.

    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - Brooklyn
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Pompano Beach, FloridaPosts: 9,874
    Thanks for the info.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16


  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 2,575
    Man, US gets some terrible openers. 
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 11,943
    Man, US gets some terrible openers. 
    I was kinda glad we got Mumford and Sons. While I'm not a huge fan by any means... I'd take them over some of the other supporting acts any day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan MarylandPosts: 8,746
    Man, US gets some terrible openers. 
    Completely disagree, but to each their own
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 8,656
    Saw the U2 show at the Rose Bowl this past Saturday......great show!   I haven't been too fond of the band's material since Zoo TV, but the fact they played the Joshua Tree made it a very special show.

    The GA floor line was pretty organized...we waited only about 15 minutes to get inside the venue.  We stood just behind the Red Zone, so we had a nice view.

    Not sure if I would go see them on a regular tour, but seeing them relive their past was amazing!
  • patrickwieczorepatrickwieczore West SeattlePosts: 459
    mikesbri said:
    Has anyone who joined the fanclub during the recent ticket on-sales received their fanclub "gift" yet?
    what's the gift u r looking for? just curious
    The one due to me as a result of joining....not sure if it is mailed upon joining, or if everyone gets them at the same time.
    Did you select one of the existing available gifts from the past 2 years (set of lithographs or Another Time Another Place vinyl) or the "2017 Gift"? if you chose the 2017 gift, it hasn't been announced what it is yet let alone when it'll be sent. (Think Pearl Jam Christmas single timeline.) If you chose one of the others, it should have been sent right when you subscribed.
    Currently it says this in my account. 1 U2com12 Subscription Gift 2017 1 U2com12 Premium New Membership: 2017 Gift + Double Vinyl 1 U2com12 Premium New Subscription Package 2017: 2017 Gift + Double Vinyl 1 U2com10 2014/2015: Another Time, Another Place - Double Vinyl
    I am a recent member too and I haven't received my Another Time, Another Place- Double vinyl either.  I sent an email but haven't got a response.  Maybe thinking they will ship it with the 2017 Gift.  

    Finally received shipping notice for Another Time.

  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 838

    Just throwing this out there. If anyone is going to the Dallas show and wants to trade their reserved seats for my floor seats let me know what you've got.

  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    edited May 23
    bflynn1 said:

    Just throwing this out there. If anyone is going to the Dallas show and wants to trade their reserved seats for my floor seats let me know what you've got.

    Are you sure the floor tix are transferrable? They weren't for the show I attended. There was no option to trade floor tix no matter what. Although I guess I recall someone saying that wasn't the case for every show on the tour.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 838
    edited May 23
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

    Just throwing this out there. If anyone is going to the Dallas show and wants to trade their reserved seats for my floor seats let me know what you've got.

    Are you sure the floor tix are transferrable? They weren't for the show I attended. There was no option to trade floor tix no matter what. Although I guess I recall someone saying that wasn't the case for every show on the tour.


    I just figured we'd meet at the venue but I guess then we'd have the issue of having to get each other in at different gates if there's a separate entrance for GA.

    Edit: I guess we could just get ourselves in and then meet up inside. Idk. Might be too complicated.

    Post edited by bflynn1 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,161
    edited May 23
    bflynn1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

    Just throwing this out there. If anyone is going to the Dallas show and wants to trade their reserved seats for my floor seats let me know what you've got.

    Are you sure the floor tix are transferrable? They weren't for the show I attended. There was no option to trade floor tix no matter what. Although I guess I recall someone saying that wasn't the case for every show on the tour.


    I just figured we'd meet at the venue but I guess then we'd have the issue of having to get each other in at different gates if there's a separate entrance for GA.

    Edit: I guess we could just get ourselves in and then meet up inside. Idk. Might be too complicated.

    You can't meet inside because they put the wristband on the GA holders when they enter with their credit card, and they check your wristband at several different points while you make your way down to the floor inside. Also, I witnessed people with seat tickets trying to go in through the GA entrance, and they were turned away, and they were attempting to do exactly what you're attempting to do. Their seat tickets wouldn't scan at that gate at all, in fact, and vice versa for those with floor tix trying to enter at another gate. So that means you couldn't enter with the other people and let them take your GA wristbands while you redirect to the stands with their tickets (even that detour wasn't an option where I went - they had arranged it so that you couldn't even get to seats at all if you entered at the GA gate). Unfortunately, I don't think you have any option to trade your floor tix for this show, period (by design obviously. They locked those GA tix up tight!).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 838
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

    Just throwing this out there. If anyone is going to the Dallas show and wants to trade their reserved seats for my floor seats let me know what you've got.

    Are you sure the floor tix are transferrable? They weren't for the show I attended. There was no option to trade floor tix no matter what. Although I guess I recall someone saying that wasn't the case for every show on the tour.


    I just figured we'd meet at the venue but I guess then we'd have the issue of having to get each other in at different gates if there's a separate entrance for GA.

    Edit: I guess we could just get ourselves in and then meet up inside. Idk. Might be too complicated.

    You can't meet inside because they put the wristband on the GA holders when they enter with their credit card, and they check your wristband at several different points while you make your way down to the floor inside. Also, I witnessed people with seat tickets trying to go in through the GA entrance, and they were turned away, and they were attempting to do exactly what you're attempting to do. Their seat tickets wouldn't scan at that gate at all, in fact, and vice versa for those with floor tix trying to enter at another gate. So that means you couldn't enter with the other people and let them take your GA wristbands while you redirect to the stands with their tickets (even that detour wasn't an option where I went - they had arranged it so that you couldn't even get to seats at all if you entered at the GA gate). Unfortunately, I don't think you have any option to trade your floor tix for this show, period (by design obviously. They locked those GA tix up tight!).

    Oh well. Thanks for the info! I was just trying to be a good boyfriend and not make my girlfriend stand for the whole show since she's not a big U2 fan. She'll just have to suck it up haha
Sign In or Register to comment.