Options

Bradley Manning and the stench of US hypocrisy

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    so wait a minute. if you blow a whistle on your government for illegal and unethical shit, you go to jail.

:fp: :fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yep, these are the sorts of things that Congress can find bi-partisan support on.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    Yep, these are the sorts of things that Congress can find bi-partisan support on.
    i guess this is yet another way to keep their employees/soldiers in check. you find a video file of an american helicopter wasting civilians and journalists, you better keep that to yourself...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    One more political prisoner in prison in the U.S to join the ranks of the many other political prisoners, such as Leonard Peltier, and Mumia Abu-jamal.

The land of the free? Sure. With over 2 million people behind bars. And if you upset the rich and powerful, then you'll go the same way.
  • Options
    what the hell ever happened to "if you SEE something, SAY something"??

• Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

The land of the free? Sure. With over 2 million people behind bars. And if you upset the rich and powerful, then you'll go the same way.

Well, we got to put people in jail if they do wrong. But I get what you mean.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    mickeyrat wrote:
    satansbed wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    He was aquitted of aiding the enemy and found guilty of a lesser espionage charge.

right result
    5 counts of espionage, 5 counts of theft, single count of computer fraud and various military infractions. Possible 128 years.
    According to the yahoo article.
    I wonder what the military charges were?

because he did all those things, he stole a fuck load of documents and gave them to wikileaks, aiding and abetting terrorists. no. espionage and theft, yes.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    satansbed wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    "satansbed wrote:

right result
    5 counts of espionage, 5 counts of theft, single count of computer fraud and various military infractions. Possible 128 years.
    According to the yahoo article.
    I wonder what the military charges were?

because he did all those things, he stole a fuck load of documents and gave them to wikileaks, aiding and abetting terrorists. no. espionage and theft, yes.
    [/quote][/quote]
    I get that. They didn't list what the military specific charges were. As I read it there were additional military charges.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    America isn't republican vs democrat anymore. It is freedom vs slavery, justice vs tyranny, the people vs the government.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think the rules have been pretty clear from day one back in 1776 about stealing classified documents.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    He is actually pretty lucky he did this in 2010 and not in 1776.
  • Options
    http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2013/8 ... ee_society

Bradley Manning: "Sometimes You Have to Pay a Heavy Price to Live in a Free Society"

The following is a transcript of the statement made by Pfc. Bradley Manning as read by David Coombs at a press conference on Wednesday after Manning was sentenced to 35 years in prison.

'The decisions that I made in 2010 were made out of a concern for my country and the world that we live in. Since the tragic events of 9/11, our country has been at war. We’ve been at war with an enemy that chooses not to meet us on any traditional battlefield, and due to this fact we’ve had to alter our methods of combating the risks posed to us and our way of life.

I initially agreed with these methods and chose to volunteer to help defend my country. It was not until I was in Iraq and reading secret military reports on a daily basis that I started to question the morality of what we were doing. It was at this time I realized in our efforts to meet this risk posed to us by the enemy, we have forgotten our humanity. We consciously elected to devalue human life both in Iraq and Afghanistan. When we engaged those that we perceived were the enemy, we sometimes killed innocent civilians. Whenever we killed innocent civilians, instead of accepting responsibility for our conduct, we elected to hide behind the veil of national security and classified information in order to avoid any public accountability.

In our zeal to kill the enemy, we internally debated the definition of torture. We held individuals at Guantanamo for years without due process. We inexplicably turned a blind eye to torture and executions by the Iraqi government. And we stomached countless other acts in the name of our war on terror.

Patriotism is often the cry extolled when morally questionable acts are advocated by those in power. When these cries of patriotism drown our any logically based intentions [unclear], it is usually an American soldier that is ordered to carry out some ill-conceived mission.

Our nation has had similar dark moments for the virtues of democracy—the Trail of Tears, the Dred Scott decision, McCarthyism, the Japanese-American internment camps—to name a few. I am confident that many of our actions since 9/11 will one day be viewed in a similar light.

As the late Howard Zinn once said, "There is not a flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people."

I understand that my actions violated the law, and I regret if my actions hurt anyone or harmed the United States. It was never my intention to hurt anyone. I only wanted to help people. When I chose to disclose classified information, I did so out of a love for my country and a sense of duty to others.

If you deny my request for a pardon, I will serve my time knowing that sometimes you have to pay a heavy price to live in a free society. I will gladly pay that price if it means we could have country that is truly conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all women and men are created equal.'
  • Options
    http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2013/8 ... g_sentence

"A Sad Day For All Americans": Human Rights and Legal Organizations Slam Bradley Manning Sentence
    August 21, 2013

The Center for Constitutional Rights:

"We are outraged that a whistleblower and a patriot has been sentenced on a conviction under the Espionage Act. The government has stretched this archaic and discredited law to send an unmistakable warning to potential whistleblowers and journalists willing to publish their information. We can only hope that Manning’s courage will continue to inspire others who witness state crimes to speak up.

This show trial was a frontal assault on the First Amendment, from the way the prosecution twisted Manning’s actions to blur the distinction between whistleblowing and spying to the government’s tireless efforts to obstruct media coverage of the proceedings. It is a travesty of justice that Manning, who helped bring to light the criminality of U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, is being punished while the alleged perpetrators of the crimes he exposed are not even investigated. Every aspect of this case sets a dangerous precedent for future prosecutions of whistleblowers – who play an essential role in democratic government by telling us the truth about government wrongdoing – and we fear for the future of our country in the wake of this case.

We must channel our outrage and continue building political pressure for Manning’s freedom. President Obama should pardon Bradley Manning, and if he refuses, a presidential pardon must be an election issue in 2016."

Ben Wizner of the American Civil Liberties Union:

"When a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians, something is seriously wrong with our justice system. A legal system that doesn’t distinguish between leaks to the press in the public interest and treason against the nation will not only produce unjust results, but will deprive the public of critical information that is necessary for democratic accountability. This is a sad day for Bradley Manning, but it’s also a sad day for all Americans who depend on brave whistleblowers and a free press for a fully informed public debate."

Widney Brown of Amnesty International:

"Bradley Manning acted on the belief that he could spark a meaningful public debate on the costs of war, and specifically on the conduct of the US military in Iraq and Afghanistan. His revelations included reports on battlefield detentions and previously unseen footage of journalists and other civilians being killed in US helicopter attacks, information which should always have been subject to public scrutiny.

Instead of fighting tooth and nail to lock him up for the equivalent of several life sentences, the US government should turn its attention to investigating and delivering justice for the serious human rights abuses committed by its officials in the name of countering terror.

Manning had already pleaded guilty to leaking information, so for the US to have continued prosecuting him under the Espionage Act, even charging him with ‘aiding the enemy,’ can only be seen as a harsh warning to anyone else tempted to expose government wrongdoing. More than anything else, the case shows the urgent need to reform the USA’s antiquated Espionage Act and strengthen protections for those who reveal information that the public has a need and a right to know.

Bradley Manning should be shown clemency in recognition of his motives for acting as he did, the treatment he endured in his early pre-trial detention, and the due process shortcomings during his trial. The President doesn’t need to wait for this sentence to be appealed to commute it; he can and should do so right now."
  • Options
    Despite the hatred here for all things labled (R), a President Ron Paul would issue a pardon. I'm fairly certain of that.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Manning's statement was pitch perfect.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    AMY GOODMAN: Michael Ratner, actually, Denise Lind, the judge, is going to move out of her position after this, isn’t she?

MICHAEL RATNER: Yeah, she’s been given, apparently, from a Washington Post report, a appellate judge job, the higher court, which I found pretty extraordinary. I don’t know whether it’s—I don’t think it’s necessarily illegal, but it does—it’s interesting to me that she’s going upstairs during the very trial that’s going on, and given that promotion. And it reminded me when the Ellsberg judge, the judge in Daniel Ellsberg’s case, the federal judge, during Ellsberg’s trial on espionage was offered to be the head of the FBI, secretly, by the Nixon administration. And, of course, there was a huge stink. I don’t see any stink so far in any of the media about the fact that Denise Lind, the judge, is being offered to a higher position. And then, think about the higher position. She’s sitting up there on the court when the Bradley Manning conviction is going to be, assuming there’s—well, there’s a conviction because he’s already pleaded to 10 counts—is going to be reviewed. She won’t sit on it, but her fellow judges are going to be sitting there, and are they going to want to reverse one of their fellow judges? So, it—basically, it stinks, Amy. <snip>
  • Options
    President Obama: We’re a nation of laws. We don’t individually make our own decisions about how the laws operate … He broke the law.

Logan Price: Well, you can make the law harder to break, but what he did was tell us the truth.

President Obama: Well, what he did was he dumped …

Logan Price: But Nixon tried to prosecute Daniel Ellsberg for the same thing and he is a … [hero]

President Obama: No, it isn’t the same thing … What Ellsberg released wasn’t classified in the same way.

When the president says that the Ellsberg’s material was classified in a different way, he seems to be unaware that there was a higher classification on the documents Ellsberg leaked.

A fair trial, then, has never been part of the picture. Despite being a professor in constitutional law, the president as commander-in-chief of the US military – and Manning has been tried in a court martial – declared Manning’s guilt pre-emptively. Here is what the Pentagon Papers leaker Daniel Ellsberg had to say about this, in an interview with Amy Goodman at DemocracyNow! in 2011:

Well, nearly everything the president has said represents a confusion about the state of the law and his own responsibilities. Everyone is focused, I think, on the fact that his commander-in-chief has virtually given a directed verdict to his subsequent jurors, who will all be his subordinates in deciding the guilt in the trial of Bradley Manning. He’s told them already that their commander, on whom their whole career depends, regards him [Manning] as guilty and that they can disagree with that only at their peril. In career terms, it’s clearly enough grounds for a dismissal of the charges, just as my trial was dismissed eventually for governmental misconduct. But what people haven’t really focused on, I think, is another problematic aspect of what he said. He not only was identifying Bradley Manning as the source of the crime, but he was assuming, without any question, that a crime has been committed.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff.
  • Options
    It's Chelsea Manning now.

I have other things to worry about but in the court of public opinion this doesn't help him. Err her.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/22/us/bradle ... ?hpt=hp_c2
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    unsung wrote:

I have other things to worry about but in the court of public opinion this doesn't help him. Err her.

To me it does not matter at all (provided tax payers are not required to pay for any procedures) but you are right, it will not help him overall.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Bradley Manning had the greatest "And one more thing" in history.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    satansbed wrote:

Or the greatest " one less thing", depending on how you look at it
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    satansbed wrote:

:lol:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    JimmyV wrote:
    unsung wrote:

To me it does not matter at all (provided tax payers are not required to pay for any procedures) but you are right, it will not help him overall.
    I greatly appreciate the statement that was made in referencing standing up and paying the consequences in the name of liberty etc. Speaks highly of her character. Perhaps Snowden could learn something about Patriotism in this.

I also appreciate the desire to be fully herself, what I dont appreciate is the suggestion that my taxdollars make this possible. I would have ZERO problem with her getting such treatment while imprisoned IF some altruistic individual(s) put up the money for the hormones and supplies needed to administer the hormones. The medical staff is already being paid a yearly salary so I woudlnt think there would be additional fees in that regard.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Wow....Assange says he will serve time in prison if Obama grants Manning clemency.

Not many humans walking the earth would offer that exchange, especially knowing the broomsticks that are literally waiting for his ass.
  • Options
    https://www.docdroid.net/1CJRtOg/20160816-letter-to-us-attorney-general-loretta-e-lynch.pdf.html

Letter to Loretta Lynch asking to drop all charges against Assange, similar to Hilliary.
    (better chance of seeing pearl jam play back to back at menora mivtachim arena on 10.11.16 and 10.12.16)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Rumors swirling Obama considering Chelsea Manning commutation. Wow!

I don't think Obama has the courage to do so.

https://www.freechelsea.com/chelsea-manning-short-list/
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    JC29856 said:

Rumors swirling Obama considering Chelsea Manning commutation. Wow!

I don't think Obama has the courage to do so.

https://www.freechelsea.com/chelsea-manning-short-list/

I was wrong!!!! Good on you Obama!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/12/bradley-manning-cruel-inhuman-treatment-un
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    How long before Trump tweets TREASON and SAD!!!!!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This is great news.