Options

Bradley Manning and the stench of US hypocrisy

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited August 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -hypocrisy

Bradley Manning and the stench of US hypocrisy

The US condemns human rights abuses abroad yet appears to be allowing the psychological torture of Bradley Manning

Ryan Gallagher
guardian.co.uk, Friday 4 March 2011

Earlier this week, the soldier accused of leaking thousands of confidential documents to WikiLeaks, Bradley Manning, was handed an additional 22 charges as part of his ongoing court martial process. The 23-year-old, who has been in solitary confinement for more than seven months, stands accused of computer fraud, theft of public records and willfully communicating classified information to a person not entitled to receive it. He now also finds himself faced with a rare charge known as "aiding the enemy" – a capital offence for which he could face the death penalty.

The revelation will no doubt have come as a blow to Manning, although given his ongoing treatment it is likely he already feared the worst. Made to endure strict conditions under a prevention of injury order against the advice of military psychiatrists, he is treated like no other prisoner at the 250-capacity Quantico Brig detention facility in Virginia. Despite that he is yet to be convicted of any crime, for the past 218 consecutive days he has been made to live in a cell 6ft wide and 12ft long, without contact with any other detainees. He is not allowed to exercise or have personal effects in his cell, and for the one hour each day he is allowed free from his windowless cell he is taken to an empty room where he is allowed to walk, but not run.

One of the few people to have visited Manning, David House, spoke yesterday of how he had witnessed his friend go from a "bright-eyed intelligent young man" to someone who at times has appeared "catatonic" with "very high difficulty carrying on day to day conversation". House drew similarities with the case of Bobby Dellelo, an American prisoner who developed psychosis after a lengthy period in solitary confinement conditions similar to Manning's. "For me this has been like watching a really good friend succumb to an illness or something," he said. "I think that Bradley Manning is being punished this way because the US government wants him to crack ahead of his trial."

While there has been widespread and well publicised condemnation of issues surrounding Manning's detainment, his conditions have failed to improve. In fact, things may have got worse, not better, for the Oklahoma-born soldier who is incidentally entitled to UK citizenship through his Welsh mother. Just two days ago, for instance, only 24 hours after having been told he now faces a capital charge, Manning was made to strip naked in his cell for no apparent reason. According to David Coombs, Manning's lawyer, the soldier was then left without clothes for seven hours. When the wake-up call sounded for the detainees at 5am, in an act of forced humiliation, Manning was made to stand naked at the front of his cell.

The incident, described as "inexcusable and without justification" by Coombs, is symbolic of the entire twisted saga: a gross injustice on a nauseating scale. We must bear in mind, of course, that Manning allegedly leaked military files because he, according to unverified internet chat logs, saw wrongdoing and had no other course of action because his superiors told him they "didn't want to hear any of it". He did not want to be complicit in war crimes, and felt that by leaking the files he could prompt "worldwide discussion, debates, and reforms".

In recent days and weeks the US government has condemned human rights abuses and repression in almost every country across the Middle East – yet at a prison within its own borders it sanctions the persecution, alleged psychological torture and debasement of a young soldier who appears to have made a principled choice in the name of progress.

"Government whistleblowers are part of a healthy democracy and must be protected from reprisal," said Barack Obama in 2008. But the stench of his hypocrisy is no longer bearable. It is time, now more than ever, that Bradley Manning received the justice he so clearly deserves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    and perhaps one day, far from now, the truth and full extent of the wrongs he endured at the hands of his government will be leaked...on Wikileaks.

Poor kid,
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    Fuck him. In the military theres a chain of command. His immediate superiors "didn't want to hear it"? Then go over their heads. The military has different rules/laws than civilain society.

And I think it hypocritical for Brits with a long history of worldwide abuse to take some sort of moral highground on anything related to human rights. I can think back just as far as atrocities commited in India. And the ongoing "troubles" in Ireland.

Stick with cleaning up your own backyard. Maybe one day we'll get to do the same.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Fuck him. In the military theres a chain of command. His immediate superiors "didn't want to hear it"? Then go over their heads. The military has different rules/laws than civilain society.

And I think it hypocritical for Brits with a long history of worldwide abuse to take some sort of moral highground on anything related to human rights. I can think back just as far as atrocities commited in India. And the ongoing "troubles" in Ireland.

Stick with cleaning up your own backyard. Maybe one day we'll get to do the same.
    alot of truth in this post Byrnzie
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mickeyrat wrote:

Strangely enough, I'm not responsible for what the British government did in India, or Northern Ireland. So I'll take whatever 'moral highground' I see fit.

Still, interesting that you'd defend a political prisoner being tortured on your home soil, and dismiss any criticism of it with reference to something completely irrelevant.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

There's no truth in it at all. British citizens have just as much right to highlight and condemn injustice as anybody else.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Strangely enough, I'm not responsible for what the British government did in India, or Northern Ireland. So I'll take whatever 'moral highground' I see fit.

Still, interesting that you'd defend a political prisoner being tortured on your home soil, and dismiss any criticism of it with reference to something completely irrelevant.
    Yes I will defend it. He swore an oath. TWICE. To adhere to the uniform code of military justice. before even leaving for bootcamp.

Breaking that oath makes him no better than those he would try to embarrass with this treason. And yes , this is treasonous of him to A. steal this info and B to disseminate said info. More so since he betrayed his "brothers in arms" , the boots on the ground.

Not responsible, eh? I find that funny.Being that at every turn ,you seem to try to shame or lay blame and guilt on the average american citizen for not making effective within our government.

You sir , are not much more than a fingerpointer with not many solutions offered for the worlds ills.

Go ahaed. post a link. that sums up what you do.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    he betrayed his "brothers in arms" , the boots on the ground.

Bullshit. He exposed war crimes, which would otherwise have gone unreported and unpunished.

mickeyrat wrote:
    Not responsible, eh? I find that funny.

You find it funny that I'm not responsible for the crimes of my government, including what happened 50 years before I was born?

mickeyrat wrote:
    Being that at every turn ,you seem to try to shame or lay blame and guilt on the average american citizen for not making effective within our government.

Whether you feel guilty or not is none of my concern. And I don't blame the average American citizen for the crimes of the U.S government. But don't let any of that get in the way of your little hissy fit.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    What they are doing to this kid is fucked up, plain and simple.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    FREE BRADLEY MANNING!!

FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!!!

these men are courageous. these men are the REAL heroes.

the shit they are going through is the exact same shit a whistleblower at a factory or corporation goes through when they expose the laws being broken by the factory or corporation. it is like the law breakers get a pass while the people that expose them take all of the heat and end up being punished somehow. instead of receiving thanks from those who are supposed to be on the whistleblowers' side, they receive condemnation and punishment. kind of fucked up there. actually very fucked up there. it is almost like the take home message here is "if you see war crimes and international law being broken, take that to your grave, and do not interfere" instead of "if you witness anything illegal, immoral, or outright wrong notify everyone up your chain of command to insure that it is addressed properly."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

There's no truth in it at all. British citizens have just as much right to highlight and condemn injustice as anybody else.
    man, no citizens do bad things...Goverments do..and British one is allies with the usa...in all actions.. the last 70 years..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    What they are doing to this kid is fucked up, plain and simple.
    this
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_W ... ection_Act

this is interesting

i believe this relates to manning
    and the jist of it is
    if he had first notified congress or somone assigned to receive this type of info
    he would have been protected
    and he must have known about this protection,
    why not notify congress first and then give the info to assange?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    ed243421 wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Whistleblower_Protection_Act

this is interesting

i believe this relates to manning
    and the jist of it is
    if he had first notified congress or somone assigned to receive this type of info
    he would have been protected
    and he must have known about this protection,
    why not notify congress first and then give the info to assange?

Interesting indeed!

http://www.whistleblowersblog.org/2010/06/
    --

Side note, with as much corruption,crimes and whatever else the US and her allies are involved in and commit, perhaps it was best to just go straight to a place like WikiLeaks. You know, before you get adjustment bureaued ;)
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Yes I will defend it. He swore an oath. TWICE. To adhere to the uniform code of military justice. before even leaving for bootcamp.

Breaking that oath makes him no better than those he would try to embarrass with this treason. And yes , this is treasonous of him to A. steal this info and B to disseminate said info. More so since he betrayed his "brothers in arms" , the boots on the ground.

Not responsible, eh? I find that funny.Being that at every turn ,you seem to try to shame or lay blame and guilt on the average american citizen for not making effective within our government.

You sir , are not much more than a fingerpointer with not many solutions offered for the worlds ills.

Go ahaed. post a link. that sums up what you do.

hey mick
    why would you defend a corrupt government
    that treats it's veterans, wounded or healthy, like shit
    over a whistleblower who is trying to right some wrongs
    and you are ok with his torture because he took an oath?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The defense team for Army Private Bradley Manning will not be allowed to present evidence of his motives behind the intelligence leaks for which he faces 22 charges, a military judge ruled Thursday. The ruling, which is not available to the press or the public, underscores the fraudulent and anti-democratic character of the entire case.

The 25-year-old soldier is accused of transmitting hundreds of thousands of government and military documents to whistleblower organization WikiLeaks, which published the material. Among the documents were evidence of war crimes, including a video WikiLeaks published under the name “Collateral Murder,” showing US military helicopters gunning down Iraqi civilians, journalists and first responders in cold blood. Other documents made clear that the US vastly underreported civilian casualties in Afghanistan.

Army Colonel Denise Lind, the judge overseeing the ongoing pretrial hearings at Fort Meade, Maryland, granted a government motion that questions of conscience and “good faith” are irrelevant in the case. This strips Manning of any potential legal protection offered under a whistleblower status and prevents any discussion of the content of the leaked material from reaching the American public.
  • Options
    The government prosecutors moved to preclude discussions over Manning’s motive in leaking material, including evidence of war crimes. Prosecutors have asserted that Manning’s motivation—which the defense argues was one of conscience—is irrelevant from intent.

The prosecution introduced a second motion prohibiting courtroom discussion over the question of over-classification of documents on the part of the government. The Obama administration, which has prosecuted a record number of whistleblowers and classified a higher proportion of material than the Bush administration, is seeking to avoid any challenge to government secrecy.
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    The defense team for Army Private Bradley Manning will not be allowed to present evidence of his motives behind the intelligence leaks for which he faces 22 charges, a military judge ruled Thursday. The ruling, which is not available to the press or the public, underscores the fraudulent and anti-democratic character of the entire case.

The 25-year-old soldier is accused of transmitting hundreds of thousands of government and military documents to whistleblower organization WikiLeaks, which published the material. Among the documents were evidence of war crimes, including a video WikiLeaks published under the name “Collateral Murder,” showing US military helicopters gunning down Iraqi civilians, journalists and first responders in cold blood. Other documents made clear that the US vastly underreported civilian casualties in Afghanistan.

Army Colonel Denise Lind, the judge overseeing the ongoing pretrial hearings at Fort Meade, Maryland, granted a government motion that questions of conscience and “good faith” are irrelevant in the case. This strips Manning of any potential legal protection offered under a whistleblower status and prevents any discussion of the content of the leaked material from reaching the American public.
    this is a disgrace. they are not even allowing him an adequate defense.

i am not surprised though. i think it makes americans look even worse than what was depicted in the videos and leaks when they will not let the man have the same legal protections as other whistleblowers.

this should anger all americans.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    The government prosecutors moved to preclude discussions over Manning’s motive in leaking material, including evidence of war crimes. Prosecutors have asserted that Manning’s motivation—which the defense argues was one of conscience—is irrelevant from intent.

The prosecution introduced a second motion prohibiting courtroom discussion over the question of over-classification of documents on the part of the government. The Obama administration, which has prosecuted a record number of whistleblowers and classified a higher proportion of material than the Bush administration, is seeking to avoid any challenge to government secrecy.
    if people were really interested in investigating and impeaching obama it should be over things like this.

• Options
    Underscoring the anti-democratic character of the hearings themselves, no written transcript of the rulings or court proceedings has been issued for public review. Journalists in attendance are forbidden the use of electronic devices in the courtroom and are shuffled in and out by military guards. Expressing frustration over the Army’s restrictions, Firedoglake.com blogger Kevin Gosztola described Tuesday’s hearing as “a completely flagrant abuse of secrecy powers.”

“The judge read a ruling for over one hour and a half and the entire press pool scrambled to keep up with what she was reading,” Gosztola commented. “There were no breaks. She read the entire ruling, which was probably at least fifty pages if not more.”

Given the magnitude of the case, the minimal coverage in the US media is notable. The national evening news programs—including on ABC, CBS, NBC, cable news channels CNN and MSNBC—carried no reports on the case. Very little of substance concerning the courtroom proceedings has reached the American public.
  • Options
    Bradley Manning is accused of leaking confidential information that reveals US government war crimes despite the fact that it is the responsibility of every soldier to reveal war crimes (am I wrong here?). Virtually every one of Manning’s constitutional rights has been violated by the US government. He has been tortured. In an effort to coerce Manning into admitting trumped-up charges and implicating WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange, Manning had his right to a speedy trial violated by nearly three years of pre-trial custody and repeated trial delays by government prosecutors. And now the judge, Col. Denise Lind, who comes across as a member of the prosecution rather than an impartial judge, has ruled that Manning cannot use as evidence the government’s own reports that the leaked information did not harm national security. Lind has also thrown out the legal principle of mens rea by ruling that Manning’s motive for leaking information about US war crimes cannot be presented as evidence in his trial.

Mens rea says that a crime requires criminal intent. By discarding this legal principle, Lind has prevented Manning from showing that his motive was to do his duty under the military code and reveal evidence of war crimes. This allows prosecutors to turn a dutiful act into the crime of aiding the enemy by revealing classified information.

Of course, nothing that Manning allegedly revealed helped the enemy in any way as the enemy, having suffered the war crimes, was already aware of them. This has nothing to do with protecting national security or protecting classified information from enemies and everything to do with setting an example for whistleblowers and shielding the public from what the a government does in its citizens name.
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... ng-q-and-a

Adrain Lamo a q and a with the guy who turned manning in
  • Options
    FREE BRADLEY MANNING!!

FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!!!

the shit they are going through is the exact same shit a whistleblower at a factory or corporation goes through when they expose the laws being broken by the factory or corporation. it is like the law breakers get a pass while the people that expose them take all of the heat and end up being punished somehow. instead of receiving thanks from those who are supposed to be on the whistleblowers' side, they receive condemnation and punishment. kind of fucked up there. actually very fucked up there. it is almost like the take home message here is "if you see war crimes and international law being broken, take that to your grave, and do not interfere" instead of "if you witness anything illegal, immoral, or outright wrong notify everyone up your chain of command to insure that it is addressed properly."

All this happening under Obama administration, where is the Transparency and Justice that was promised from Obama himself? Why didnt Obama prosecute ONE person from the Wall St. scams? Not one prosectution from the country almost going over the cliff? HMMMMMM OK !
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    FREE BRADLEY MANNING!!

FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!!!

All this happening under Obama administration, where is the Transparency and Justice that was promised from Obama himself? Why didnt Obama prosecute ONE person from the Wall St. scams? Not one prosectution from the country almost going over the cliff? HMMMMMM OK !
    if you would search my posts you would see that i am very pissed off at obama and the military justice system for the treatment of manning, i am pissed at obama because he had thrown too many whistleblowers in jail. i am pissed because of what has happened to assange.

he probably has not prosecuted anyone from wall street because he is the president and not the attorney general, and because the wall street people are the ones that pay him. and what does it matter? if he had gone after the wall street people you would most likely say he was "infringing on their rights because what they did was technically legal". he can't win no matter what he does.. no matter what he does the right is gonna bitch about it.

• Options
    The Justice Department’s legal assault on Swartz is of a vindictive piece with the prosecution of others who have carried important information into the public realm. Front and center is 25-year-old Bradley Manning, the Iraq War enlistee accused of being WikiLeaks’s source in the military. The restricted foreign policy documents that Manning allegedly released don’t amount to even 1 percent of the 92 million items the government classified last year, but the young private faces life in prison at his court-martial in June for the charge, among twenty-one others, of “aiding the enemy.” Then there’s Jeremy Hammond, age 28, who in his freshman year at the University of Illinois hacked the computer science department’s home page, then told them how they could fix its problem. He got thrown out of school for that; now he’s in a federal prison facing thirty-nine years to life, charged with various hacks and leaks (all apparently led by an FBI informant) including the 5 million internal e-mails of Stratfor, a private security firm hired by corporations to surveil private citizens, among other activities.

Barack Obama once campaigned as a friend to whistleblowers. Yet his Justice Department has launched twice as many Espionage Act prosecutions against domestic leakers as all previous administrations combined. One defendant, former National Security Agency official Thomas Drake, resembles an older version of Swartz: a former math and chess prodigy, Drake saw wanton illegality in the NSA’s post-9/11 surveillance program. When his internal complaints went nowhere, he went to The Baltimore Sun. The case against Drake crumpled on contact with a courtroom, but it was enough to ruin his career and financial well-being. Drake pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and now works at an Apple Store when he isn’t attending Bradley Manning’s court hearings.

http://www.thenation.com/article/172380 ... y-manning#
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    People are failing to realize he does not fall under the normal justice system. He falls under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Very different!!
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    He was aquitted of aiding the enemy and found guilty of a lesser espionage charge.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    He was aquitted of aiding the enemy and found guilty of a lesser espionage charge.

8-)
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this trial is a joke and the whole notion of justice is being spat on ...

a 7 hr summation just so the press wouldn't write anything on the defense that day!? ... pathetic ...
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Jason P wrote:

right result
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

right result
    5 counts of espionage, 5 counts of theft, single count of computer fraud and various military infractions. Possible 128 years.
    According to the yahoo article.
    I wonder what the military charges were?