Options

Anyone have "Eddie Vedder and the Walmer High School Choir"?

bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I'm just wondering what it was like. I was thinking on ordering it from 10club. Just wondering what was all on it for tracks and what people on here thought of it? Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I don't, but will be keeping an eye on this thread as i'm also intrigued by it and considering a purchase... thanks for putting this thread up!
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    from what ive heard its not a whole lot of the choir... basically a solo ed acoustic venture with minor backup vox by many african children... i like the version of betterman from the xmas single but thats all ive heard from it... and i kindof have a thing for foreign / tribal music... so if thats not your thing i wouldnt recommend it... id like to hear other tracks... i suppose if its still available for sale someone couldnt post a link to d/l?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I have it & am not a big fan of it, listened to it twice and it's just not my type of thing. Hardly any Ed at all and mainly just the choir.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    I have it & am not a big fan of it, listened to it twice and it's just not my type of thing. Hardly any Ed at all and mainly just the choir.
    hmm i guess i got it backwards then... anychance of email mp3's?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hmm i guess i got it backwards then... anychance of email mp3's?

PM me your email & I will see what I can do when I get home from work tonight.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    It's awful. You never want to say that as a fan of Pearl Jam and Eddie, but it really is.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    The three Eddie tracks are ok, the rest is dire, good cause and all that, but still dire. Still have to have it in the collection.....Long Road makes it worth it...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I tend to agree with everyone here. . . the whole 3 tracks that ed sings on are OK at best (just pj songs with the chior in the back). The rest is just the chior by themselves. . . possibly ed doing some instrumental work, I haven't listened to it in a while. It's a good cause, but if you're looking for something that is going to blow your mind, keep looking, it's not here.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    meh.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yea, agreed, its just sorta eh....might have listened to it twice, not really sure
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I have it and love it. You must have an appreciation for African music and culture in order to enjoy it to the fullest
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Oh...only 3 PJ tracks? That's balls.
    I doubt I'll be purchasing this one. Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    yahamita wrote:
    I have it and love it. You must have an appreciation for African music and culture in order to enjoy it to the fullest
    I appreciate it, but I like me some good ole rockin Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    I have it because of the charity cause. It was a good idea but I think it was recorded too fast, there's no concept. But the kids' voices are incredible and some african song is are good.
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    yahamita wrote:

agree on both counts
    A mind full of questions, and a teacher in my soul
    And so it goes...
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    I can't stand it. I really don't like African High School choir music, and I'm not going to just because Eddie apparently does. That Love Boat Captain would be AWESOME if it wasn't for the background singing.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    xkevvx wrote:
    I really don't like African High School choir music

:eek: :D
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    Looks like im one of the few.....but I really like it. I enjoy the choir stuff and its a new twist to the 3 songs LBC, Betterman, and Long Road.
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I love "Long Road" and enjoy the whole cd in general. I often like a mellow change of pace and this cd really fits the bill . I enjoy the choir music in the same way that I enjoy some of the stuff Paul Simon did or U2's " Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" . I have no problem being uplifted once in a while.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    I have it as well... not a big fan at all...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    Listened to it all the way through a couple times, but I LOVE the Ed tracks. I like the concept of Ed and the kids but I just wish there was more of it. I think it would have been awesome to have Ed try to sing on some of the African tracks. Betterman and Long Road sound soooooo beautiful on this, and Love Boat Captain is decent enough, but the arrangement of the singing makes it somewhat redundant to me. I'm glad I bought it because it was worth a listen, and of course the Ed songs make it worthwhile. I ended up just putting the three tracks (plus the improv one with him on drums) on my iPod and leaving the rest off. It's nice to have though, a reminder of why I love this band beyond their music.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    Blot911Blot911 Houston, Texas Posts: 65
    Listened to it all the way through a couple times, but I LOVE the Ed tracks. I like the concept of Ed and the kids but I just wish there was more of it. I think it would have been awesome to have Ed try to sing on some of the African tracks. Betterman and Long Road sound soooooo beautiful on this, and Love Boat Captain is decent enough, but the arrangement of the singing makes it somewhat redundant to me. I'm glad I bought it because it was worth a listen, and of course the Ed songs make it worthwhile. I ended up just putting the three tracks (plus the improv one with him on drums) on my iPod and leaving the rest off. It's nice to have though, a reminder of why I love this band beyond their music.

I agree totally. Loved the concept and the songs with Ed, just wish there were more songs with Ed on it. It's definitely worth checking out. I did the same thing, just put the three songs with Ed on my iPod and left the rest off.
    2000/10/15 - Houston, TX
    2003/04/05 - San Antonio, TX
    2003/04/09 - Birmingham, AL
    2007/08/05 - Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    2009/10/03 - Austin City Limits TV Taping
    2009/10/04 - Austin City Limits Music Festival
    2022/05/20 - Las Vegas, NV
    2022/09/18 - St. Louis, MO

EV Solo
    2012/11/12 - Houston, TX
    2012/11/13 - Houston, TX
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    The CD is worth it for the ED tracks. LBC is great on it and the first time I heard better man with the choir singing it at the end it gave me goose bumps. My girlfriend who thinks PJ is ok, absolutely loves the LBC track. All I am saying is that it is a unique spin on the songs and it is worth for the three Eddie tracks. The songs sound very dark & crisp which I like.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    pjtaper wrote:
    I appreciate it, but I like me some good ole rockin Pearl Jam!
    Totally agree Mic! but glad Ed had a chance to influence a few young lives while he recorded this. I think I'll blow the dust off of mine and put it in right now..
    Can't find a BETTA man......
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    glasshouse wrote:
    :eek: :D

Sorry... ;)

If it makes you feel any better I don't like American high school choir music either.