Options

Any Metallica fans on the PJ board?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited March 2013 in Other Music
I'm a HUUUUGE PJ fan. But before PJ came into my life, I was a big Metallica fan. And still am. They played the MTS Centre in Winnipeg tonight (sold out crowd) and it was fucking unbelievable. Anyone here also a metal fan? Do you think any of the PJ boys like Metallida or any other metal?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I posted this from my CLASSIC LIVE VIDEO thread..

This one goes out to the hardcore Metallica fans where they played to German fans in 2006. Celebrating 20 years of the release of their classic album *MASTER OF PUPPETS* where they played it in it's ENTIRETY starting at the 34:34 mark with *Battery*.....to.....*Damage INC*.

I actually watched the entire concert of some 2hours 18 minutes which was pretty good.

I was a big fan but what I once liked in them is fading or faded somewhat. I have their new album liked it somewhat but compared to ACDC's new album I've barely listened to Metallica's.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    g under p wrote:

This one goes out to the hardcore Metallica fans where they played to German fans in 2006. Celebrating 20 years of the release of their classic album *MASTER OF PUPPETS* where they played it in it's ENTIRETY starting at the 34:34 mark with *Battery*.....to.....*Damage INC*.

I actually watched the entire concert of some 2hours 18 minutes which was pretty good.

Metallica Live in Germany 2006...*Master Of Puppets* in it's entirety.

I was a big fan but what I once liked in them is fading or faded somewhat. I have their new album liked it somewhat but compared to ACDC's new album I've barely listened to Metallica's.

Peace
    hell yeah. master of puppets is the only thing i like about metallica.
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    IM A BIG PEARL JAM FAN, BUT IF I WERE TO CHOSE A FAV METAL BAND, IT WOULD BE METALLICA, SEEN THEM LIVE A COUPLE TIMES, I THINK THEY ARE COMING BACK TO SO CAL LATER THIS YEAR, GOTTA GO SEE EM LIVE !!! GREAT LIVE BAND!
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    I'm a Metallica fan and a metal fan in general. I'm also a big Queensryche fan and will be seeing them in concert this Friday night here in Montgomery.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• Options
    Metallica was the first band i listened to on my own free will, everything else til that point was influenced by my country lovin momma, and my 1950s lovin step dad. Had i had my real dad in my life, i would have known a lot more by then. As he was into AC/DC and Led Zeppelin and Jethro Tull.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Metallica is metal??
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    They're okay. Their 80's stuff is the best of their catalog. Lars Ulrich is a fucking turd.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    DewieCox wrote:
    Metallica is metal??

No, not any more, theyre old stuff was
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    Sappy113Sappy113 Posts: 178
    Metallica, along with Pearl Jam and Nirvana, were on of the first rock bands I got into way back when. I still love 'em as I love a lot of other rock and metal. Their run of Ride the Lightning to ... Justice is one of the greatest runs of any major metal band ever. Still not really close to PJ on my alltime list, though :)
  • Options
    I used to be a huge Metallica fan back in the early 90's then I got into Pearl Jam.... I still listen to them though occasionally - love their old stuff. I saw them in Philly back in '03 - they were really good
  • Options
    it seems I'm not alone. I used to be into metal, and then I discovered Nirvana, SG, PJ, etc. These bands had/have what metal was missing. I needed the angst, but not the cartoonish imagery or extreme death. Metallica is the only metal band I still listen to.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Yup im a fucking huge fan, first band i first probably probably got into, must be coming up to 10 years now maybe :o Seen em 6 times since 2006 :D

LOAD is the best album.
  • Options
    Man I fuckin love METALLICA !!!!
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    In the early days of PJ fandom it was fashionable to bash anything other than earnest rock, but now I've seen it's become quite acceptable to "expand the bubble". Hell, PJ now says they like KISS, or at least Ace Frehley. So I can now admit that I used to be a big fan of Metallica. :D I don't listen to them much any more, but I still enjoy the Metallica tune now and then. Played Rockband recently or whichever one has Metallica and it made me remember how badass they once were.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Metallica is metal??

No, not any more, theyre old stuff was

what you on about?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Metallica fucking rules! Saw them in Dallas 2 weeks ago :)
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    LOAD is the best album.

I love that album, it's become a bit overlooked in their recent sets since Death Magnetic brought back their love of thrash and fast picking. I'm a huge fan though, so I love it all.
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    LOAD is the best album.

I love that album, it's become a bit overlooked in their recent sets since Death Magnetic brought back their love of thrash and fast picking. I'm a huge fan though, so I love it all.

Its just badass heavy hard rock, its not like the really young thrash which i think sounds really dated and rubbish, but i love the young thrashy stuff now as james' voice is amazing now as it sounds matured etc.

Anyone who said load is shit go listen to S & M's version of Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me and say it again! I spent days just alternating between those 2 songs. I still cant believe i heard Outlaw Torn in London earlie this year. I know i wont hear anything off load, just like wont hear anything off Binaural (which is also my favourite PJ album). Got Until It Sleeps though as well which was sweet another show.
  • Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    I'm a huge Metallica fan... I love almost everything they've done, with the exception of St. Anger.

Got to echo the love for Load... a vastly overlooked album. I think The Outlaw Torn may be the best thing they've ever done.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    All their albums are pretty solid til St. Anger, which sucked. They continued the suck with Death Magnetic. That's a joke of an album. It sounds pathetic.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    All their albums are pretty solid til St. Anger, which sucked. They continued the suck with Death Magnetic. That's a joke of an album. It sounds pathetic.

:o:o:o:o:o

Okaaaaaay...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    I really like Death Magnetic. Manages to bring back a lot of the feeling of the earlier material, but with occasional flashes of Load, and even some St. Anger sounding stuff... and the songs kick ass live. Just a shame about the botch-job that is the albums production.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
  • Options
    EdLaw wrote:
    Manages to bring back a lot of the feeling of the earlier material, but with occasional flashes of Load, and even some St. Anger sounding stuff... and the songs kick ass live. Just a shame about the botch-job that is the albums production.

No it doesn't. It sounds like a band that realized they alienated alotta their fanbase, so they made a feeble attempt at rehashing past glories. There is alotta parts that just don't go together. The drumming sucks. The solos suck. The only riff I can remember from it, I remember from another song.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    EdLaw wrote:
    Manages to bring back a lot of the feeling of the earlier material, but with occasional flashes of Load, and even some St. Anger sounding stuff... and the songs kick ass live. Just a shame about the botch-job that is the albums production.

No it doesn't. It sounds like a band that realized they alienated alotta their fanbase, so they made a feeble attempt at rehashing past glories. There is alotta parts that just don't go together. The drumming sucks. The solos suck. The only riff I can remember from it, I remember from another song.

I don't doubt that realising they'd alienated some of the fanbase was a reason behind the direction of the album, or that some of it does whiff of rehashing the 80's stuff, but it works for me. Nothing really sounds like it doesn't go together, to me at least.

Can't argue about the drumming or solos, though.
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Yes this is the album that got me started with metallica. While I was in a vynil record shop and it was being played I quickly asked the attendant who is that you are playing? He casually looked up with a puzzled look, metallica dude master of puppets.

I told him i'll take it along with whatever else they've released which was kill em all and ride the lightening.

Peace

Peace
    hell yeah. master of puppets is the only thing i like about metallica.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    They have some good music. Just don't like it when I see videos like this......
    How can James Hetfield make fun of somebody else's addiction when he is an
    alcoholic ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYnSEZKcVw
  • Options
    They have some good music. Just don't like it when I see videos like this......
    How can James Hetfield make fun of somebody else's addiction when he is an
    alcoholic ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYnSEZKcVw

Not making excuses here but at that time I don't think James Hetfield realized he had an addiction like alcholism. Another reason one could see why Jason Newsted left this disfunctional band back then.

Peace

• Options
    I,m a fan
    caught them live first time in 87 and they are still kicking my arse all these years later :twisted:
    I couldnt give a shit about their personnal lives,i love the music and shows and thats enough for me.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Casual listener here, never seen them live though.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    Load is ok at best. Re load sucks balls. St Anger is awesome. Death Magnetic is awesome. I don't get why people say that DM is an attempt to go back to their roots. They never lost their roots, they just tried a few new things.

Lars even said that, like it or hate it, St Anger had to be made in order to get DM. It was sort of their transitional, get the past out of the way record.

They are heavy metal's version of U2. Some experiments work, some don't (can you say Pop?). I'd rather them take a different direction and fail than make the same album over and over again. A perfect example of that is The Rolling Stones. Or ACDC. Or Aerosmith. All good in their heyday, now just a mere parody of themselves.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014