Options

Is Backspacer PJ's Final Album?

dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
edited September 2009 in The Porch
First, I do not intend this thread to upset anyone in any way, and I also have heard no rumors or mention of Backspacer being Pearl Jams final studio album.

However, the general theme of this album seems to lean heavily toward making up for lost time with loved ones, being grateful for meaningful relationships and finally, saying goodbye to this life. These are all things that come into play when someone knows that their time in this world is drawing to a close. The lyrics in "The End" refer to catching a disease and saying good-bye to his wife and kids. I certainly hope that this is only for the sake of the song, and that everyone in the band and all of their loved ones are safe and healthy. This is my interpretation of the album as a whole and very well, may not be what Pearl Jam intended.

I also think it's fitting that the first track on their first album is called "Once" and featured the lyric "Once upon a time" while the last song on their last album is titled "The End". These are fitting titles to open and close such a meaningful and timeless catalog of works.

I also hope that Pearl Jam continue to make music together for many years to come. They have been a strong influence on me since the early "90's and have consistently exceeded the level of greatness that I have learned to expect from them. I am, and will continue to be, a grateful and loyal fan of Pearl Jam and their music. They have given this world and it's people so much to celebrate, appreciate and recognize as beautiful.

Thank you, Pearl Jam.
If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i doubt it is i bet we will get 2-3 more
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    The same argument about The End was made after Binaural's Parting Ways. I don't think they are done by a long shot. I honestly think they will still be making albums 15 years from now.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    You'll look at this thread in 5-years time and laugh about how silly you were for even considering that :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    I recall in the past week reading something where Ed said they're about halfway through their career.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    either way, no matter how much "evidence" one might conjure up, the answer can only be conjecture at best. and, what if it is the last album? is there some reward for "calling it."

if this is the last album, we won't know for quite sometime. and, it is highly unlikely that the band sat down and said, "well guys i think this is our capstone project." with another responding, "let's name the last song to secretly let our fans know about it."
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    No it will not. Need proof? Here is a quote from a recent MTV interview:

So, will those other songs that didn’t make the cut get banished to the bottom of the group’s B-sides pile? Not quite. In fact, they’ve got big plans for those too. “We still have other songs that are out there that are from this session that we may do something with in about six months,” McCready said.

AND an interview with the Toronto Star recently:

“We’re already talking about making the next record, and how stoked we are. And we’re making it with Brendan obviously – although he doesn’t know it yet.” - Jeff

See here for the interviews: http://www.twofeetthick.com/2009/09/bac ... e-with-us/
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • Options
    springsteen...the who...the stones...pearl jam sounds twice as good as any of those bands did when they were in their mid 40's. I don't see them walking away anytime in the next 5 years.
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    I personally feel PJ will still be releasing music well into their 50s. I think we will be enjoying new music when we are all thinking about buying driving shoes
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    YES
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    Depends. Is your 10C number better than mine?

If so, yes, this the final album AND the final tour. There is no reason for you to renew your membership when it comes up.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    They have been Pearl Jam for most of their adult life. They are a special pact. I honestly don't think that the lyrics on the new album are a hint of the bands' end. And who would have thought that Ten would be the first of the many albums they did? The guys have gotten along pretty damn well. That is good news. I could see if Mike hated Stone and Stone hated Eddie and Mike and Jeff was a drug addict etc... These guys can't stop, No Way. That would suck!
    TDR
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    The same argument about The End was made after Binaural's Parting Ways. I don't think they are done by a long shot. I honestly think they will still be making albums 15 years from now.
    Hell, if Kiss is still making albums, and they're all in their 50s-60s, then there you have it.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    First, I hope that you guys are right.

Second, I don't think that it would be a decision among band members to end Pearl Jam, but rather one of them no longer be with us. (God forbid.)

Also, this is just for the sake of discussion, obviously.
  • Options
    dudeman wrote:
    First, I hope that you guys are right.

Second, I don't think that it would be a decision among band members to end Pearl Jam, but rather one of them no longer be with us. (God forbid.)

Also, this is just for the sake of discussion, obviously.

So you're basically asking if you think Pearl Jam is predicting one of its members' own deaths on Backspacer?
    I don't understand what you're asking, or why.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    doubt it. they seem like they are having more fun playing now then they ever have.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    i see PJ as being one of those long lasting bands that keep playing till someone who is a main contributor dies...like the who, they were around until keith moon died, but he wasn't a main contributor, then in 2001 they came back to play for 9/11 heroes at MSG, then John Entwhistle died, but he still wasn't a main contributor, both of them were replaced by younger "kids", but as soon as Pete Townshend or Roger Daughtry pass, the who will be no more...:(

the same will be for PJ...if anything unfortunate like Mike, Jeff, or Matt passing away, the band might still last, but if Ed or Stone dies, they are pretty much the driving forces of this band, and then they will end...thats how i predict it happening...fortunately all are healthy enough to not pose a risk of passing away anytime soon (all of them are pretty smart and grown up with kids and aren't all that into the whole Sex, Drugs, and Rock n' Roll...ok maybe the last part, but they aren't living the party life syle, at least not anymore)...if only ed would stop smoking...that's pretty much the greatest risk of this band ending shorter than expected
  • Options
    So there has been no talk by pearl jam or anyone that this is their last album but let's start a thread insinuating it is. Why? Are you that bored? And doesn't every pearl jam album have the same theme somewhat on every last song on each album? Yea pretty much!
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Doesn't this get brought up every time they release an album?

I say no, unless circumstances arise that we don't currently know about.

If it was their last album, meaning they were planning to break up, we would know about it. It would be a dick move for them to get this tour done and then say "Okay, we're done for good." Not to mention, considering their recent "rise to fame" again that these last 2 albums brought (at least a lot more press coverage and people knowing about them again), I can't see them stopping while they're at the highest point in their career in over a decade...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,849
    with a diffent style of record, and a band that continues to kick ass live, these guy's aren't going anywhere's for a very, very long time! they are the rolling stones of my generation!
  • Options
    it's their own fault for naming the last track 'the end'

jesus.

the same thing happened with fugazi's album: end hits. People thought they were toast, and they went on to release, well, one more album.
  • Options
    So there has been no talk by pearl jam or anyone that this is their last album but let's start a thread insinuating it is. Why? Are you that bored? And doesn't every pearl jam album have the same theme somewhat on every last song on each album? Yea pretty much!

I am asking if anyone has deduced from the lyrical content on Backspacer alone, that everyone in PJ may not be OK and may not be around much longer. That seems to jump right out at me while listening to the new album. There is a sadness there that I haven't heard before on any other Pearl Jam records.

I'm not trying to predict anything, wish anyone harm, or insinuate that they're finished. I'm asking if anyone else interpreted the album the same way I did, and if they would like to discuss that. Nothing more.
  • Options
    either way, no matter how much "evidence" one might conjure up, the answer can only be conjecture at best. and, what if it is the last album? is there some reward for "calling it."

Of course not. That's absurd.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited September 2009
    dudeman wrote:

I am asking if anyone has deduced from the lyrical content on Backspacer alone, that everyone in PJ may not be OK and may not be around much longer. That seems to jump right out at me while listening to the new album. There is a sadness there that I haven't heard before on any other Pearl Jam records.

I'm not trying to predict anything, wish anyone harm, or insinuate that they're finished. I'm asking if anyone else interpreted the album the same way I did, and if they would like to discuss that. Nothing more.

Ok, I'll bite. Ed wrote all the lyrics to Backspacer, and the first time I listened the album, specifically The End, I couldn't help that he was not only looking back on his life and changing his focus on things and his future, that by the time the album's over, he is somewhat looking forward to changing paths. Don't jump on me for my opinion; it's really the first thing that came to mind. That he's thankful that he's been saved from his wounds and is looking forward to a bright future. Doesn't mean the band's over, but the album's lyrical story spoke to me of a personal journey and that journey may take him in a different direction. I still find the conclusion to The End completely depressing because I do get the feeling that he's foretelling of an ending.

Again, it's just. my. opinion. I understand if people don't agree, or don't like my initial feeling of it, but the OP was looking for someone to relate to. You never know; tomorrow I may have a different take on it all. I like to think and ponder over these things and I always am open to other avenues of interpretation.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Ed mentioned not even being half way done yet, and considering the guys seem to be happy and in a good place...
    I think we'll see PJ for many years to come.
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    YES
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    No
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    Who starts these rumors?

Band members have already talked about having enough left over material from Backspacer for their next album.. their chances of making another album are greater now than they've ever been in the past.
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    I'm Hoping and Expecting at Least 5 more Albums
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    I'm Hoping and Expecting at Least 5 more Albums
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    Hmmm, prehaps I'll incite a riot.

Pearl Jam's last album should have been two albums ago.

Just kidding.