Options

Mark Tremonti(Creed Guitarist) on Pearl Jam/Grunge Influence

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Showtime
CREED . . . ALL ABOUT IT GUITARIST MARK TREMONTI TELLS WHY THE BAND GOT ITS ACT TOGETHER AND TOOK IT ON THE ROAD.
By Scott Mervis Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
11 September 2009
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

[Veddernarian: I deleted other parts of the article not addressing Pearl Jam]

Q:
The Creed sound is heavily influenced by Pearl Jam and that grunge era. Is there still much life in that sound?
A:
"Well, I was never influenced musically. . . . If you listen to Pearl Jam and listen to the music of Creed, they're not similar. Pearl Jam is a blues-based jam band, and musically I grew up . . . I actually grew up in speed metal, which you can't tell from listening to Creed, but with the Alter Bridge stuff you hear a little bit more of it. If you listen to the bare music between Pearl Jam and Creed, you're not going to find much similarity, I wouldn't think."
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Creed suck balls.

Alter Bridge are awesome.

But neither can hold a candle to Pearl Jam.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    Creed suck balls.

Right on. Agree on both,....though would say your words on creed may even be a compliment.
    a blues- based jam band???????????
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    This kind of thing drives me nuts. It's blatantly obvious that Creed's sound was influenced by Pearl Jam and other grunge bands. I hate it when artists won't admit to ripping other artists off. It's like Godsmack not admitting they took their name from an AIC song.
  • Options
    luckily no one gives a shit about creed.
  • Options
    Singer's voice aside, I really don't think they are like Pearl Jam at all, musically. Not to say they aren't following a trend or anything though.

And thank goodness for that, their music sounds awful to me.
  • Options
    I never saw much similarity music wise, but it's hard to deny that Stapp sounds a lot like someone doing an Eddie Vedder impersonation, ie Sandler.

Funny side note, I briefly met Tremonti's brother in Evanston, IL and he was a genuinely nice dude. I can only presume that Mark ain't a bad guy either.
  • Options
    It pains me in my soul to say this but I actually agree with something a member of Creed said. I too have always thought that Creed (musically) didn't sound like Pearl Jam. Their riffs were always slow, heavy (not in a good way) and most of all boring. They also never branched out of the awful "post-grunge" sound.

One place i feel there is a similarity is Scott Stapp's terrible Ed impersonation. Unfortunately he was not the only one from that era to try this and probably won't be the last.
  • Options
    Mesa Boogie+PRS=YUCK!!!!!!! :shock:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539

DAMN YOU. WHY???
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    I never saw much similarity music wise, but it's hard to deny that Stapp sounds a lot like someone doing an Eddie Vedder impersonation, ie Sandler.

Funny side note, I briefly met Tremonti's brother in Evanston, IL and he was a genuinely nice dude. I can only presume that Mark ain't a bad guy either.

Their drummer, Chad Phillips was my neighbor in Orlando back in 2003 and Mark Tremonti used to go to the same trainer as my ex-wife. To be honest with you, they were both really nice guys. They definitely didn't come off like pricks like Stapp seems to be.
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:

DAMN YOU. WHY???

I'll be damned... Ok, then, here it is in full:

Showtime
    CREED . . . ALL ABOUT IT GUITARIST MARK TREMONTI TELLS WHY THE BAND GOT ITS ACT TOGETHER AND TOOK IT ON THE ROAD.
    By Scott Mervis Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    11 September 2009
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    FLSS
    Broward Metro

Upon the announcement that Creed would be reuniting this summer, you could almost hear the collective cheers and groans in the musical universe.

There are few bands in rock history so commercially successful and critically despised as this one that formed at Florida State University in the mid-'90s.

Case in point: Creed topped the charts and sold more than 30 million records worldwide in its heyday - while also landing at No. 23 on the Blender list of the 50 worst artists in music history. That entry noted that "the Florida group's real crime is its music, an overblown distillation of grunge's most obviously commercial elements every inch as vapid as the music Nirvana and company were rebelling against."

After about five good years, during which the band scored hits, including With Arms Wide Open, Higher and One Last Breath, Creed started to bottom out around 2003, coinciding with singer Scott Stapp's increasingly erratic, alcohol-related behavior.

After the breakup in 2004, Stapp released a semi-successful solo album, The Great Divide, while the rest of the members - Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall - went off to form the more active Alter Bridge with singer Myles Kennedy of the Mayfield Four.

With neither spinoff really setting the world on fire, it was only natural that a Creed reunion would bubble up, despite word from both sides that it would never happen.

The reunion takes place a few months in advance of a new, as-yet-unfinished album. We talked to guitarist Mark Tremonti about how Creed came together again.

What are the preparations like?

"We had a rehearsal space in L.A., where we rehearsed for about a week and a half. We were also finishing up our record, so we would record in the afternoons and then go in at night for rehearsals. Now we have two dress rehearsals before the show where we have the full production - pyro and lights, video - so we know when to not stand over like a flaming pyro explosion."

Did it take a while for you guys to shake off the rust?

"Not really. We got together, I think, to actually play in March and our plan was to play through some of the older material to get reacquainted musically. Me, Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall have been playing solidly for over a decade now, so it meshed really well, and then Scott was really excited to be singing, so it felt really natural. It kind of took us through a time warp. You feel like a kid again. It was our early college years when we were playing and writing these songs, so it was cool."

Instrumentally, you were Alter Bridge. Did you ever mess around with those Creed songs?

"No. One of our main obstacles was the success with Creed would always overshadow Alter Bridge here in the States. One of the things we wanted to do was find a singer who sounded very different than Scott so we didn't appear to be trying to exploit the success of our prior band. We wanted to stand on our own, so we did our best to not play either of our bands' previous material."

What changed that you guys were able to get back together?

"Mainly it had to do with time and growing up. When we initially had success we were all young college kids and experiencing success and the whirlwind that comes with it. Things happen very quickly and it's hard to keep a handle on it all and people sometimes grow apart personally and artistically along the way. But . . . I explain to people, how can personalities not change when six years go by and you have two children and a wife? And Scott had never met my two kids. It's easy to say that personalities change along the way. We've all become more mature. I think more than anything, being able to tour at this level is something we didn't want to just throw away for the rest of our lives. We're all grown men enough to say let's just leave the past and not even discuss who said what at what times. We all knew that the last year or so was just a tough year and we all accept that and now we want to go out and appreciate what we built in the past."

Did it have anything to do with the possibility of Myles Kennedy doing the Led Zeppelin reunion tour?

"No. It was all coincidental. We were in a transition phase with our management. Scott got a call in with our new manger to facilitate talking about a possible summer tour. We thought it was an exciting idea. I think it all hinged on the first meeting we had . . . everyone had their guards down and just said our hellos and it was fine, there was no uneasiness. Everybody was comfortable, and once we had a few more meetings we started talking about maybe releasing a few songs to help launch the tour. After that, we decided let's just do a record. The problem with that is we had a tour scheduled and about a 2 1/2-month window in between so we had to work nonstop to get this record done - and it's still not done. We have a couple songs left to lay vocals on, and then it will be finished. . . . We'll try to get it out the end of the month or early October."

Was there some hope you'd get it out before the tour?

"Ah, we would have loved to. It really helps a tour when you can use the strength of the record to help push ticket sales, but there was no possibility and it was too late to back out of the tour we set up, so we just had to rely on our fans digging our catalog."

Are the new songs much in line with the older stuff?

"No, there's definitely a big difference. There's obviously going to be two or three songs that have that radio feel to them, but the rest of the record definitely has a different sound than our past. Since we've walked away from Creed years ago, we've all been digging as hard as we can to survive in this business, 'cause it's such a cutthroat business. You gotta stay on top of your game to survive, and we've been touring nonstop, putting out records, putting out everything we can and loving every minute of it, but experiencing lots of things along the way to make us better musicians and writers and performers. And we've poured it all into this record."

You don't get the best rap from critics. I was just wondering how you cope with that.

"Um, well, it's funny. With Creed, the more people were critical, the more records we would sell. And then with our other band, Alter Bridge, we would get a lot of critical praise, but then we [laughs] go gold, so it's kind of a double-edge sword. Usually, when it's very commercial and it's easy to digest, people tend to buy records and not appreciate the artistic side of it, and then when it's a little more artistic, most people don't really get it and the critics dig it. We kind of have the best of both worlds right now."

The Creed sound is heavily influenced by Pearl Jam and that grunge era. Is there still much life in that sound?

"Well, I was never influenced musically. . . . If you listen to Pearl Jam and listen to the music of Creed, they're not similar. Pearl Jam is a blues-based jam band, and musically I grew up . . . I actually grew up in speed metal, which you can't tell from listening to Creed, but with the Alter Bridge stuff you hear a little bit more of it. If you listen to the bare music between Pearl Jam and Creed, you're not going to find much similarity, I wouldn't think."
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    "One" is a great rock song
  • Options
    I don't like Creed (had a brief interest in them in 1999-2000 but that thankfully ended). Tremonti is by far the least douchie of the band and he's actually a pretty good guitar player.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    Deebs41 wrote:

DAMN YOU. WHY???

I'll be damned... Ok, then, here it is in full:[/quote]

:lol:
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    when I listen to Creed (which is often) I too hear speed metal and not Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Lsk6453Lsk6453 Ponte Vedra, FL Posts: 550
    Creed suck balls.

The only difference is the lead singer. The first Alter Bridge album WAS the 4th Creed album musically - Miles Kennedy just sang the lyrics that were written. The second Alter Bridge album was their own sound, but 3/4 of the band were/are Creed.

To say one sucks and the other is awesome seems counterproductive. Maybe you just don't Scott Stapp?

Just stating facts here and asking the question.
    Shows attended: 38

7/5/98 Dallas, 10/17/00 Dallas, 4/30/03 Uniondale, 7/8/03 MSG 1, 7/9/03 MSG 2, 9/28/04 Boston 1, 9/29/04 Boston 2, 10/03/05 Philly, 4/15/06 SNL, 5/5/06 Irving Plaza, 5/13/06 Hartford, 6/1/06 NJ 1, 6/3/06 NJ 2, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/27/08 Hartford, 7/1/08 The Beacon, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 5/20/10 MSG, 5/21/10 MSG, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13, Brooklyn, 10/25/13 Hartford, 11/15/13 Dallas, 10/12/14 Austin 2, 5/1/16 MSG 1, 5/2/16 MSG 2, 8/5/15 Fenway 1, 4/7/17 RRHOF Induction, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle  2, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/13/23 Ft. Worth 1, 9/15/23 Ft. Worth 2, 5/16/24 Vegas 1, 5/18/24 Vegas 2
  • Options
    Myles Kennedy farts more music ability and talent than stapp will ever have in his life.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    chris32482 wrote:
    This kind of thing drives me nuts. It's blatantly obvious that Creed's sound was influenced by Pearl Jam and other grunge bands. I hate it when artists won't admit to ripping other artists off. It's like Godsmack not admitting they took their name from an AIC song.

You're confusing Scott Stapp's voice with Creed's sound. If you just listen to Creed's music instrumentally, it doesn't sound like anything Pearl Jam would play.

The only reason people would make the Pearl Jam/Creed connection is because of Scott Stapp's voice.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    when I listen to Creed (which is often) I too hear speed metal and not Pearl Jam.

lol
  • Options
    Some of you are surprised these people in Creed are nice people? Jeez, you are all like children. This band is more popular than my favorite band so I'm going to talk crap about them for a decade. Grow up. Move on wankers.
  • Options
    Some of you are surprised these people in Creed are nice people? Jeez, you are all like children. This band is more popular than my favorite band so I'm going to talk crap about them for a decade. Grow up. Move on wankers.

I get your point.

However, Scott Stapp IS a douchebag.
    And Creed DOES suck.

That doesn't have anything to do with who is more popular than who. It just is.

I have always liked Mark Tremonti, though. Not enough to buy anything he's ever produced, but still.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    You're confusing Scott Stapp's voice with Creed's sound. If you just listen to Creed's music instrumentally, it doesn't sound like anything Pearl Jam would play.

The only reason people would make the Pearl Jam/Creed connection is because of Scott Stapp's voice.

I completely concur with the above statements.

I was working at an independent record store when Creed's first album was about to come out. Someone from their label's marketing dept was making the rounds by calling stores and trying to get people to give their first record a listen. My boss didn't feel like talking to her because he was busy. All I heard him say was "Oh, I've got just the person you should talk to." Then he handed me the phone and said "It's a label rep. She says if you like Pearl Jam you'll like this band called Creed."

I was on the phone with her all of 30-45 seconds and her pitch to me was "So-and-so says you like Pearl Jam? You're going to love this band Creed. They sound just like Pearl Jam." And it went on from there.

I remember thinking "Oh, okay! So they'll have awesome bluesy lead guitar solos and killer riffs and an incredibly talented bass player too..." So I said "I'll check them out. Thanks for the tip!" (Keep in mind that this was before I ever heard Creed.)

Needless to say the first time I heard Creed I was simultaneously sorely disappointed and not-at-all shocked. I was sorely disappointed that this band Creed had absolutely none of the instrumental strength that PJ had. I was also not-at-all shocked that the sales pitch that this label rep had for me was based entirely on the middle register bellowing of Scott Stapp.

Deep down I've always found it a little insulting when I've heard people compare these two bands or say they sound alike. They don't. Not at all. All you have to do is listen to the music to hear the differences.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options

I get your point.

However, Scott Stapp IS a douchebag.
    And Creed DOES suck.

That doesn't have anything to do with who is more popular than who. It just is.

I have always liked Mark Tremonti, though. Not enough to buy anything he's ever produced, but still.

But how many threads do we need about it? And is it still 1999? Damn, it is 2009, we should have progressed further from this. Especially since this article quote has nothing insulting about PJ in it, yet this board still acts like little kids.
  • Options
    I actually don't hear much of an influence musically. Vocally, obviously Scott Stapp is a Ed rip-off. A bad one at that.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    I think I liked Creed for a minute in late 1997 (around the time Pearl Jam were finishing Yield).
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    Musically, Creed doesn't sound like Pearl Jam because Pearl Jam has better musicians than Creed has. They just try to pull off the same style.
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    But how many threads do we need about it? And is it still 1999? Damn, it is 2009, we should have progressed further from this. Especially since this article quote has nothing insulting about PJ in it, yet this board still acts like little kids.

We are talking about a recent interview. That's why there is a new thread about it.

In fact, I don't even see any other Creed-related threads around, at least at first glance.

I totally get what you're saying, but this definitely one of those "Don't like it, don't click on it" situations.

EDIT: There really isn't anything all that insulting on this thread, the likes of which you are talking about. Maybe one derogatory comment about Scott Stapp. Certainly nothing that warrants the knee-jerk response you gave, unless you are Scott Stapp's dad or something.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    HeavyHands wrote:

I completely concur with the above statements.

I was working at an independent record store when Creed's first album was about to come out. Someone from their label's marketing dept was making the rounds by calling stores and trying to get people to give their first record a listen. My boss didn't feel like talking to her because he was busy. All I heard him say was "Oh, I've got just the person you should talk to." Then he handed me the phone and said "It's a label rep. She says if you like Pearl Jam you'll like this band called Creed."

I was on the phone with her all of 30-45 seconds and her pitch to me was "So-and-so says you like Pearl Jam? You're going to love this band Creed. They sound just like Pearl Jam." And it went on from there.

I remember thinking "Oh, okay! So they'll have awesome bluesy lead guitar solos and killer riffs and an incredibly talented bass player too..." So I said "I'll check them out. Thanks for the tip!" (Keep in mind that this was before I ever heard Creed.)

Needless to say the first time I heard Creed I was simultaneously sorely disappointed and not-at-all shocked. I was sorely disappointed that this band Creed had absolutely none of the instrumental strength that PJ had. I was also not-at-all shocked that the sales pitch that this label rep had for me was based entirely on the middle register bellowing of Scott Stapp.

Deep down I've always found it a little insulting when I've heard people compare these two bands or say they sound alike. They don't. Not at all. All you have to do is listen to the music to hear the differences.

great post, enjoyed reading it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    yawn.jpg
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    I managed to meet, greet and talk to Alter Bridge guys last year (I was wearing a red 10c PJ shirt :twisted: ) and to tell you the truth they were very nice and the show itself was fantastic! I hope this reunion :| won't put an end to the carreer of AB! :!:

and yes, apart from Stapp's vocals Creed does differ a lot from the sound of our favourite band!
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1