Options

To Everyone who thinks...

2»

Comments

• Options
    pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. GTA Posts: 1,808
    For those who are able to attend multiple shows each tour, you should feel lucky that Pearl Jam mixes it up each night. There are many bands who play the same songs each and every night. Sure, Pearl Jam has staples, but clearly, the band enjoys playing those songs, so why deny them that?

I've only been to four concerts. I heard Evenflow, Betterman, and Do the Evolution at all four, and I loved every moment! In those four concerts, I've heard 70 different songs. That's 17-18 songs I hadn't heard before at each concert. I think that's pretty damn impressive.
  • Options
    I disagree about retiring songs, not least as there are always going to be fans who just heard Pearl Jam for the first time and those who are finally going to their first show, all these years after material from early albums was released. Those people deserve the chance to hear those songs live :-)

Also, if I'm paying at least £40 for a ticket for a band I have loved for 17 years then I am going to want to hear the songs that made me love them so much. If I didn't hear Yellow Ledbetter, Given To Fly, Dissident, Even Flow or Alive, I'd be disappointed :) I never tire of putting them on my stereo, so I can't tire of hearing them live :)

Also, all successful long term bands have those old classics that still sound amazing and often, are some of the band's best work. The Stones and U2 still play classics and I bet Lynard Skynyrd still play Simple Man and Sweet Home Alabama! Do AIC still play Would?, do Faith No More still play Midlife Crisis and Epic? Probably :-) It's the balance between playing classics and playing obscure and new material that works. I think PJ have a good balance of the two :)

So yeah, retiring schmiring. Give me Alive and Even Flow and Black and give me em now!! :-))
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    For those who are able to attend multiple shows each tour, you should feel lucky that Pearl Jam mixes it up each night. There are many bands who play the same songs each and every night. Sure, Pearl Jam has staples, but clearly, the band enjoys playing those songs, so why deny them that?

I've only been to four concerts. I heard Evenflow, Betterman, and Do the Evolution at all four, and I loved every moment! In those four concerts, I've heard 70 different songs. That's 17-18 songs I hadn't heard before at each concert. I think that's pretty damn impressive.

I would say it is extremely impressive. Pearl Jam is truly the leader of rock/classic rock bands that mix up their sets. I'm hard pressed to think of another rock band, (not Jam Band), that mixes up their sets as well as PJ. If they didn't I would attend 1 show per tour and be happy.

I disagree about retiring songs, not least as there are always going to be fans who just heard Pearl Jam for the first time and those who are finally going to their first show, all these years after material from early albums was released. Those people deserve the chance to hear those songs live :-)

Also, if I'm paying at least £40 for a ticket for a band I have loved for 17 years then I am going to want to hear the songs that made me love them so much. If I didn't hear Yellow Ledbetter, Given To Fly, Dissident, Even Flow or Alive, I'd be disappointed :) I never tire of putting them on my stereo, so I can't tire of hearing them live :)

Also, all successful long term bands have those old classics that still sound amazing and often, are some of the band's best work. The Stones and U2 still play classics and I bet Lynard Skynyrd still play Simple Man and Sweet Home Alabama! Do AIC still play Would?, do Faith No More still play Midlife Crisis and Epic? Probably :-) It's the balance between playing classics and playing obscure and new material that works. I think PJ have a good balance of the two :)

So yeah, retiring schmiring. Give me Alive and Even Flow and Black and give me em now!! :-))

Pearl Jam balances well, and as I said I'm not for retiring anything.

Just in my perfect world they would mix up the greatest hits during back to back shows. Won't happen and I'm fine with how it is, just that would be my preference.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    they could retire all of ten except release and I would not be unhappy
    same with daughter, small town, betterman and corduroy
    and I am so tired of crazy mary, seems like they play it just so victoria gets a check

call me crazy, but I want to hear more of the no code, yield and binaural songs they dont play so often !!
  • Options
    LOL :) Maybe they should do 'album' shows :) You know 'Ten live in Calgary', 'Yield' live in Philly etc :) Wonder which shows would be the most popular? :) Each album is so diverse, its kind of cool to know that each one is someone's favourite, that's what's so great, all the songs, like all of us fans, are different :) Awesome stuff :)
  • Options
    LOL :) Maybe they should do 'album' shows :) You know 'Ten live in Calgary', 'Yield' live in Philly etc :) Wonder which shows would be the most popular? :) Each album is so diverse, its kind of cool to know that each one is someone's favourite, that's what's so great, all the songs, like all of us fans, are different :) Awesome stuff :)
    I like that idea, I like it a lot.
    Have they ever performed an entire album in one show (besides ten)?
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    RL200920 wrote:
    Pearl Jam should retire Even Flow and Alive from the setlists.......

You're crazy.

I agree. I want to use the restroom at SOME point!
    :lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    That IS crazy talk!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    and I am so tired of crazy mary, seems like they play it just so victoria gets a check

call me crazy, but I want to hear more of the no code, yield and binaural songs they dont play so often !!
    thats a sure sign you need a break from shows!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I like that idea, I like it a lot.
    Have they ever performed an entire album in one show (besides ten)?

They played Self Titled in order in Italy in 06.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Damn, that is half the reason I go to their shows....The new music sucks really. I'm all for TEN,and of course the NO CODE, BINAURAL, VITALOGY, & YIELD albums. Sorry... :o
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Damn, that is half the reason I go to their shows....The new music sucks really. I'm all for TEN,and of course the NO CODE, BINAURAL, VITALOGY, & YIELD albums. Sorry... :o

I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315

I couldn't agree more.

I guess I'm just old school..... :oops:
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

I couldn't agree more.

kickin it old school is cool

its a shame they dont play more of the cd's that you mentioned.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

thats a sure sign you need a break from shows!
    nah, I still enjoy every tune, but if I had my choice............Id like to hear songs I havent seen so often
  • Options
    malcyrvsmalcyrvs Posts: 89
    Alive at SBE was the best I've ever heard it.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

I couldn't agree more.

I'll be telling the grandkids "When I was your age, we didn't have this "Avocado", or Backspacer". We had "TEN" and we had "Vs." and we liked it!. Now get your pappy a beer.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Absolutely not! Sorry, haven't read all this thread. They should just keep staggering these sort of songs, otherwise known as "concert staples". Ever heard that term? Like, I'm going to 4 concerts and I wouldn't want to hear them at every concert. If I hear them once or twice, that'll be fine. Just not every time. They have to keep casual fans and first timers who aren't real fans happy, as well as us. They're catering to a broad range of people, many of whom only know the hits and want to hear the hits. They have a huge repertoire of songs, and I think they do a good job on the whole of mixing them up. There's only one song they do that I never really want to hear live again.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Get_Right wrote:

I've been to 6 shows, and only heard Crazy Mary at 1 of them. "At last!" I thought when I heard it. One song I was dying to hear live that I now have, so I went away very happy that night. I do agree, more No Code, Yield and Binaural would be nice, but as far as I'm concerned PJ do play a great mix of songs. ;)
  • Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

I've been to 6 shows, and only heard Crazy Mary at 1 of them. "At last!" I thought when I heard it. One song I was dying to hear live that I now have, so I went away very happy that night. I do agree, more No Code, Yield and Binaural would be nice, but as far as I'm concerned PJ do play a great mix of songs. ;)

15 shows and no Glorified G for me. :x

Not on the top of my list, but would have loved to hear it once instead of Even Flow, Alive, or Betterman. :D