Options

Ed's Q&A from Uncut Magazine!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    edited July 2009
    I can so completely picture Ed making that move of "jumping on a pole" to make a quick exit from a room too! :)
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    norm wrote:
    So I wrote these sad songs on a happy instrument.

this is exactly what i like about the uke....and he is one of the best on it imo :mrgreen:

add me to that list too. God, I fucking LOVE that BROKEN-HEARTED song!! The version from Santa Cruz show got etched into my memory and it will never ever come off.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    So is this the August issue? Thanks for posting by the way.

TFT posted you can pick it up at Barnes & Noble and Borders, its the latest issue.

*gets off of her ass and runs to the closest Barnes & Noble real quick*
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

TFT posted you can pick it up at Barnes & Noble and Borders, its the latest issue.

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I remember some people on Red Mosquito saying they had heard the uke album. I always assumed they were BS'ing...but maybe they have. $100 to you charity of choice for the album!

and then I'll charge Norm $200 for a copy
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I remember some people on Red Mosquito saying they had heard the uke album. I always assumed they were BS'ing...but maybe they have. $100 to you charity of choice for the album!

and then I'll charge Norm $200 for a copy

:lol::lol::lol:

where do i send the check?!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    He has played several of these songs since 2000 though. He played some of them years ago and they've been popping up here and there since...

These four have been played a number of times-->
    Heartbroken
    Goodbye
    You're True
    Can't Keep.

I wonder how many more songs there are?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    justam wrote:
    He has played several of these songs since 2000 though. He played some of them years ago and they've been popping up here and there since...

Heartbroken
    Goodbye
    You're True
    Can't Keep.

Can't Keep ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    justam wrote:

Heartbroken
    Goodbye
    You're True
    Can't Keep.

Longing to Belong
    Satellite
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    justam wrote:

Heartbroken
    Goodbye
    You're True
    Can't Keep.

Can't Keep ...

Jesus. Can't Keep was like the last one you mentioned. What the hell is wrong with me?

Carry on ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

LOL!! :lol::lol:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    SOLAT319 wrote:

Thanks for that! Our newsstand closed recently and I just don't think of Barnes & Noble. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    i love how in this interview, it's not like you're reading some informative standard interview where it would be like listening to/reading about some god. this is a rare moment where Eddie just seems like a regular dude with some funny inside jokes and stories.

usually eddie seems uncomfortable in interviews and the questions seem rather intrusive and repetitive...but this interview just seems so genuine as if i was witnessing a regular conversation with him and a good friend.

the only other time i've seen eddie seem like aregular guy is the scene with his daughter in Imagine in Cornice and iconoclasts
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 364
    Here's part II, plus the prelude to the Q&A. There are some familiar names in here...Enjoy!

Eddie Vedder attracts curiously obsessive fans. Uncut’s mailbag for this Audience With…far outstrips any other we’ve done, and not all of them in the “When are you next playing Portugal?” category.
    “Why didn’t you turn up to our wedding last year?” asks one slightly hurt fan from Ohio. “And would you and the band like to come and play at our first anniversary?” There are other invitations to weddings in Colombia, christenings in Denmark, safaris in South Africa and surfing holidays in Western Australia. There are fans who promise to come along to a gig and accompany the band on the accordion, others who want Vedder to be godfather to their child, others offering him a spare tent to come to Glastonbury.
    “That’s kinda…nice”, says a genuinely humble-sounding Vedder. “I guess that people have always seen me as a kinda regular guy. We’ve never tried to erect boundaries between us and the audience.” It’s this balance of messianic stadium rockers and “aw-shucks” regular guys that made Pearl Jam the real kings of grunge, outselling their rivals Nirvana several times and maintaining their position on the arena circuit two decades on.
    Vedder, with a cigarette and a coffee in hand, is speaking from the band’s headquarters in Seattle. “You could call it ‘Pearl Jam Towers’, I guess” he says. “But it’s more of a refuge. A couple of offices, a bit of storage, a fan club operation, some areas where we distribute music and other things, and then a practice space. And a refrigerator that used to have beer in it until last night. We had a bit of a party and drank it all, so excuse me if I sound a bit hungover…”

Seeing as you were both icons of grunge, what do you think of Chris Cornell’s new LP with Timbaland?
    Einat Shaul, Israel
    I haven’t heard it. Isn’t Timbaland a make of shoe? It’s a producer? I don’t know who that is. Oh well. I really like Chris’ records and I think he’s the best singer that we’ve got on the planet. I first met Chris when I moved to Seattle, and we started hanging around. I didn’t know what musicians did with their life, and I quickly realized that what he did on a Friday night was to get a 12-pack of shitty beer and chase his dog around on the mud for four hours in the forest. That was about an exciting an epiphany as I had! I haven’t seen him in town for a while, but I have taken over the whole dog-chasing practice – me and my Hawaiian mutt. The beer’s gotten slightly better too.

You do lots of great cover versions live – have you thought of doing a studio album of them?

Jeff Tweedy, Wilco
    I’ not sure why we all play songs we didn’t write, especially when nothing can be better than the original. One reason is to play them for people who’ve never heard them. When I play Cat Stevens songs, of course I don’t do them as well as him, but I fell I’m introducing him to a new generation of fans. As for a whole LP, well, imagine how many records you could put out if you didn’t have to write the songs! That’s why Elvis released so many albums!

Is there one book that you have read that has been life-changing for you?
    Jennifer Coppertino, New York
    One that jumps to mind is Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. He talks about being a humanist, about it being a little different from being an atheist, which had a profound effect on me. I ended up reading pretty much everything he wrote after that, two, three, four, five times. The only other author who’s had a similar effect has been Charles Bukowski, who opens your eyes to the fact that there’s beauty in everybody’s life. The life of someone on the lowest rung of the ladder is as colourful and meaningful, if not more, as some character in an F Scott Fitzgerald novel. So it makes you realize that we are all individuals and we all have something going on that is worthy of introspection and respect.

When you have felt most scared and alone while surfing and where?

Selin Hall, California
    If you’re in any big body of water, you get a healthy sense of feat. I would recommend surfing to anyone who thinks they’re high and mighty. It takes all your focus, and it doesn’t allow you to think about anything else. You can even get hurt on a small, insignificant looking wave if you’re not careful. So when you’re on the wave, it’s one of those rare, purifying instances, where you can’t think of anything else apart from surviving and celebrating this wave as it hits the shore after travelling for 2,000 miles. There’s also something quite profound about it, because the ocean is the place where we all came from, and I believe that there is something about the ocean that will protect you.

You’ve been lined with David Lynch’s Transcendental Meditation movement; you’ve worn an Aleister Crowley t-shirt and you’ve stated that you’re an atheist. What do you personally believe in and how did you get there?
    Stephan Rott, Germany
    Well it changes! And I think we have to be flexible. Any belief system that is inflexible, closed off to other belief systems, is profoundly unhealthy. I also think that if you look at life as a long line of evolutionary changes that started billions of years ago, from little things crawling in the mud, and the you realise where we’ve got to now, that is a remarkable set of circumstances. There is more magic in that, for me, than someone creating the planet in six days and taking a day off. When you realize how long humanity has taken to get to this point, it makes you respect another person’s life in a deeper and broader sense. I wouldn’t’ think of killing anybody because their lineage goes back to the primordial seas, not because there’s some eye in the sky, looking out for how many commandments you’re going to break.

Be honest. Even you not 100 per cent certain of the words to “Yellow Ledbetter”, are you?
    Ed Byrne, comedian
    Ha ha ha! This is the comedian who does stuff about me, right? Well he’s quite right – the lyrics to “Yellow Ledbetter” do constantly evolve…I admit that, at times, I have sung total nonsense! The song was originally written about the first Gulf War, and I’d created this image of a young guy with long hair and funny clothes, who had just got a yellow telegram telling him his brother has been killed in action. He’s walking by these conservative-looking, older folks on a porch, flying an American flag, and he waves to them in a show of solidarity, and they brush him off and give him the finger. So, you know, what did his brother die for?

Last time Pearl Jam played Wembley Arena, at the end of the show you offered to buy the entire audience a drink. Well? It’s two years on, and we’re thirsty….
    Thomas Birch, Harefield, Middlesex
    You don’t remember? We all went around the back to that little pub in Wembley. Most of us had two drinks! Hell, I’ve still got the receipts, Thomas. Oh shucks, I paid cash. Oh well. But it was a great night, Thomas, pity you couldn’t make it…
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    Thank you for your efforts, Ross!
    Much appreciated!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    Amazing....thanks for the post!
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    JS51111JS51111 Posts: 33
    Thanks primussucks (they don't) and alexross42......good interview.

Peace,
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    thats the best interview i have read
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    That description of Ledbetter is very enlightening. It makes me really want to go back and listen to the early studio version. It's really not like Ed to open up on a song's meaning.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    thats the best interview i have read
    +1. Congrats to Einat and primus for getting in there!
    I love what he said about religion, as it's exactly the way I feel. Too many times people are trying to make us say something and commit to it for our whole lives - how can one possibly do that when their life, and thus their perception of life, is changing constantly?
    Needless to say, the fireman's pole thing is the greatest thing I've ever read.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    benjs wrote:
    I love what he said about religion, as it's exactly the way I feel. Too many times people are trying to make us say something and commit to it for our whole lives - how can one possibly do that when their life, and thus their perception of life, is changing constantly?

That was my question, by the way :)
    And I like his answer, too...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    psycosmic wrote:
    benjs wrote:

That was my question, by the way :)
    And I like his answer, too...
    Oh! I totally missed that - congrats to you too, and great question. I thoroughly enjoyed this whole article.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Wow! We just got the meaning of Yellow Ledbetter! Even Mike said he didn't know what it was about and didn't want to know! :mrgreen:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Funny shit!!

And also it is amazing to me, when you read earlier interviews with him, how much he has changed over the years and how intelligent he can be. Good read. Thanks for posting.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    alexross42 wrote:
    Here's part II, plus the prelude to the Q&A. There are some familiar names in here...Enjoy!

Eddie Vedder attracts curiously obsessive fans. Uncut’s mailbag for this Audience With…far outstrips any other we’ve done, and not all of them in the “When are you next playing Portugal?” category.
    “Why didn’t you turn up to our wedding last year?” asks one slightly hurt fan from Ohio. “And would you and the band like to come and play at our first anniversary?” There are other invitations to weddings in Colombia, christenings in Denmark, safaris in South Africa and surfing holidays in Western Australia. There are fans who promise to come along to a gig and accompany the band on the accordion, others who want Vedder to be godfather to their child, others offering him a spare tent to come to Glastonbury.
    for the record, i only offered to provide the accordion if he'd play bugs in albany, not accompany him.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    thanks for posting the other part!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Thank you for posting the remainder of the interview. Good stuff. One of the best Ed interviews I have read. :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Thanks for posting this interview!
    It's a great interview.
    Isn’t Timbaland a make of shoe? It’s a producer? I don’t know who that is. :lol:
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    Thanks again to Alexross42! Don't know why they put me down for being from Chicago. Im from Wisconsin. Oh well.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    haha this is great! Wow, fire pole? That sounds exactly like something id do after hitting a bong and had a shiz load of money just lying around :D