Options

Does MJ's death mean PJ will be playing RATS at every show?

10ctoronto10ctoronto Posts: 49
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Please say it's so!!! I have not heard RATS and I have been to maybe 12 shows.

Maybe even Ed will bust out something in Hawaii
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    Interesting 1st post, but I don't see them playing it anymore than they have before. If you want to hear it, just go to a NYC show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    LukinFan wrote:
    Interesting 1st post, but I don't see them playing it anymore than they have before. If you want to hear it, just go to a NYC show

:?:

i think i actually got to hear rats live for the first time in dusseldorf 2007.
    i've been to all the NYC shows since 2003, tho i'll admit my memory is shit. :P

and today is the first i learned of the lyric connection between the two... :oops:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    LukinFan wrote:

and today is the first i learned of the lyric connection between the two... :oops:

Dreams!!!! :o
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071

:o :shock:

;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Am I missing something?

What does the song Rats have anything to do with Michael Jackson?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Ok.. so I'm a lyrical moron. I don't see a connection to Michael Jackson. Fill me in......

They don't eat, don't sleep
    They don't feed, they don't seethe
    Bare their gums when they moan and squeak
    Lick the dirt off a larger one's feet
    They don't push, don't crowd
    Congregate until they're much too loud
    Fuck to procreate till they are dead
    Drink the blood of their so called best friend

They don't scurry when something bigger comes their way
    Don't pack themselves together and run as one
    Don't shit where they're not supposed to
    Don't take what's not theirs, they don't compare

They don't scam, don't fight
    Don't oppress an equals given rights
    Starve the poor so they can be well fed
    Line their holes with the dead ones bread

They don't scurry when something bigger comes their way
    Don't pack themselves together and run as one (2x)
    Don't shit where they're not supposed to
    Don't take what's not theirs, they don't compare...

Rats...They don't compare (2x)
    Ben, the two of us need look no more (6X)
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited June 2009
    Am I missing something?

"Ben, the two of us need look no more" is taken from Michael Jackson's song "Ben". It was a song about Michael Jackson's pet rat.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    Am I missing something?

"Ben, the two of us need look no more" is taken from Michael Jackson's song "Ben". It was a song about Michael Jackson's pet rat.

Oh... so in that case.. you think the original poster has been waiting around for MJ to die so he could break out that little gem with his first post? You know... really let the freak flag fly. The second responder knew what he meant and commented on how it was really impressive that a first time poster would know such a senior geek level thing. But the second poster wasn't going to reveal it. Cuz you know.. PJ knowledge is not something you let go lightly. Its like a gang symbol for MS-13.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Am I missing something?

Oh... so in that case.. you think the original poster has been waiting around for MJ to die so he could break out that little gem with his first post? You know... really let the freak flag fly. The second responder knew what he meant and commented on how it was really impressive that a first time poster would know such a senior geek level thing. But the second poster wasn't going to reveal it. Cuz you know.. PJ knowledge is not something you let go lightly. Its like a gang symbol for MS-13.
    I'm confused.. just because you are a first time poster means you don't know anything about the band?

I'm sure there's only a small percentage of us that post here. I bet there's people who go to every show, know every detail that have never posted here or even looked at the board.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

Dreams!!!! :o

:oops:
    mea culpa for not having every single pearl jam lyric commited to memory verbatim AND for not even knowing of this mj song entitled ben, about his pet rat....all of which, yes, i had ZERO knowledge of until today. color me embarassed for my faux pas. ;)

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    The second responder knew what he meant and commented on how it was really impressive that a first time poster would know such a senior geek level thing.
    Geek level thing?? I made the connection right away when I first heard Rats. But probably only because I am OLD , not a geek. Well....................i'm that too but not due to PJ!!! ;)
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    The second responder knew what he meant and commented on how it was really impressive that a first time poster would know such a senior geek level thing.
    Geek level thing?? I made the connection right away when I first heard Rats. But probably only because I am OLD , not a geek. Well....................i'm that too but not due to PJ!!! ;)

old and/or geek, imo has nothing to do with it! one must know this mj song to make the connection.....never knew the song, so i had no idea. period. i really don't think it's a 'pj geek' thing to know, at all.....

btw this:
    LukinFan wrote:

to me in no way infers:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Ah... C'mon. I mean, it's all good. For those that didn't know the link between the song and Jackson's song, it's not the end of the world. You always learn a new thing every day! That's it, nothing to be mad or shy or ashamed of...!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Zidane wrote:
    Ah... C'mon. I mean, it's all good. For those that didn't know the link between the song and Jackson's song, it's not the end of the world. You always learn a new thing every day! That's it, nothing to be mad or shy or ashamed of...!

that was absolute humor.....hence the ;) haha.
    and i do agree.....always learning, and definitely a cool little tidbit to know about, even this late in the game... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Lizard wrote:

Ha! I'm just playing. Technically we are all geeks just for being here.
  • Options
    I forget which boot it's on (maybe more than one anyway) where Ed says, "Michael Jackson was innocent" during the wind down of Rats. It was one of the first things that came to my mind yesterday....
    Why go home?
  • Options
    I forget which boot it's on (maybe more than one anyway) where Ed says, "Michael Jackson was innocent" during the wind down of Rats. It was one of the first things that came to my mind yesterday....

I remember his saying that but didn't know the connection to rats and couldn't tell if he was kidding or not. I know Eddie was big into singing jackson 5 stuff when he was a kid.
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    [/quote]

and today is the first i learned of the lyric connection between the two... :oops:[/quote]

Dreams!!!! :o[/quote]

:oops:
    mea culpa for not having every single pearl jam lyric commited to memory verbatim AND for not even knowing of this mj song entitled ben, about his pet rat....all of which, yes, i had ZERO knowledge of until today. color me embarassed for my faux pas. ;)

:mrgreen:[/quote]

:lol:

It was of course meant in jest :) I know you got that but some people might have missed it.
  • Options

old and/or geek, imo has nothing to do with it! one must know this mj song to make the connection.....never knew the song, so i had no idea.

Well for some it IS the age thing. Ben was a huge movie when I was growing up and you couldn't help but hear that song!!!

But as others have said, it's all good!!! :D
  • Options
    bv237207bv237207 Posts: 14
    "Michael Jackson is innocent" was sung during the Atlanta concert 1994 and can be found on the Dissident 3 cd-single disc set
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    I'm confused.. just because you are a first time poster means you don't know anything about the band?

i post on this board all the time and dont know much about the band, although i do know this!

pearl jam does a mean cover of betterman... and I love their original song "teenage wasteland" :lol:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:

old and/or geek, imo has nothing to do with it! one must know this mj song to make the connection.....never knew the song, so i had no idea.

Well for some it IS the age thing. Ben was a huge movie when I was growing up and you couldn't help but hear that song!!!

are you serious?
    i seriously had/have NO idea about a movie entitled ben, nor the song, etc. and sure, i really haven't been listening to the radio in a looooonnnnnggggg while, but i most definitely did as a kid/teen, tho mostly classic rock/alterative-new wave rock stations, so perhaps that's why? i didn't think i was so out of the loop back then, but apparently i was? :?

haha.
    :mrgreen:

and yet another interesting tidbit:
    bv237207 wrote:
    "Michael Jackson is innocent" was sung during the Atlanta concert 1994 and can be found on the Dissident 3 cd-single disc set

and beckygirl, i knew it was in jest.....as was my reply. ;)
    all in good fun!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Oops---the movie is Willard!!! (Brain fart!!) :D:D
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    Oops---the movie is Willard!!! (Brain fart!!) :D:D

can't say i recall that either.... :oops: hahahaha.
    well alrighty, it is clearly established i have always lived under a rock apparently. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    bv237207 wrote:

94 ? i don't believe there were any allegations of him back then or i just don't remember :lol: ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bv237207 wrote:

94 ? i don't believe there were any allegations of him back then or i just don't remember :lol: ..

welcome to the club my friend.
    seriously, i don't feel old...but all of this today, i am starting to feel old and unbelievably forgetful. yikes..... :? :|:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    bv237207 wrote:

welcome to the club my friend.
    seriously, i don't feel old...but all of this today, i am starting to feel old and unbelievably forgetful. yikes..... :? :|:mrgreen:

I hear you d2d :lol::lol: i am an old man :oops: ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Lizard wrote:

I keep thinking the name of the movie was "Ben" too. I guess because I associate that song with the movie. I remember the song more than the movie.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    bv237207 wrote:

first allegations were in 93 :ugeek:

d2d i'm very disappointed....you can turn your 10c membership card in at any target store :P :P :mrgreen::mrgreen: