Options

My Incredible, Random "Meeting Ed" Story

id rocksid rocks Posts: 29
edited June 2009 in The Porch
I just got home to Pittsburgh and have been dying to share my story of meeting Ed in Baltimore. It was such a crazy, random occurrence, I still don't actually believe it happened. I feel so lucky!

So it's the day of the show and I'm walking around the Inner Harbor with my wife and kids, just checking out the area since we'd never been to Baltimore before. We're just strolling along when I hear my wife start saying "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh" over and over again. My first instinct was that something was wrong. But as I turned my head I see this big silver haired older guy carrying a stand-up paddle board about 20 feet in front of me, obviously having just come out of the water. And right behind him, Ed! He was also carrying a board, barefooted, across the walkway, in the direction towards the street nearby. Not really having time to think, I just blurted out, "Hey, Eddie!" He turned and I told him we were excited to see him perform later that night. I was holding my 2 year old daughter and clarified, "well, she won't be there, but my wife and I will be." He asked my daughter's name and I told him it was Eva. He then asked if Eva and I wanted a picture with him. Um, of course! My wife could barely hold the camera steady enough to snap the photo. We didn't talk much longer than that - I didn't want to be an annoying fan, I honestly feel for celebrities and their lack of privacy. But I told him I hope he had fun out on the water and I couldn't wait to see him later at the show. He walked off with his friend and loaded their boards into a van and climbed in.

Ed was just so nice and cool. I loved that he was the one who asked about us, and asked if we wanted a photo. To top everthing off, the show Monday night was amazing and we ended up with seats 7th row center, having the time of our lives. Surely one of the funnest days I've had in a long, long, time. I've been a huge fan since 1993 when I was 16 growing up is Seattle and this was the first time I've experienced anything like this.

I'm not sure I can make this work to share my photos, but here's my attempt:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cmrmd77
Break the sky and tell me what it's for
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    Random Ed meeting is so great and much better than waiting by the bus, door etc. Good for you man.
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    touringfan wrote:
    Random Ed meeting is so great and much better than waiting by the bus, door etc. Good for you man.

+1
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Oh my, what a nice story. These make me smile but then again make me very jealous ;)
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    your daughters face is hilarious....like who is this dude! :mrgreen:
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Haha your daughter is looking at him like "who is this weird hairy guy?"
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Thanks for sharing your story and photographs. Ed is so fan friendly and down to earth. Stories like these make me proud to be a Pearl Jam fan. :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    VERY cool story! Nice photos. Truly amazed that he even offered those, since he's typically not a "say cheese" type of guy.
    But I have to know, what was he doing with a surfboard at the Inner Harbor??
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    His board has built-in handles!! What an awesome idea for us shorties! Wonder if my board can be retrofitted!

Thanks for posting those photos! It's great you bumped into him like that - and ohmygod, that board!! I'm so drooling! Maybe river SUP boarding is where it's at? Saw some pics of people going thru rapids on an SUP...cool!

Anyway, excellent you met him that way....! :mrgreen:
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    VERY cool story! Nice photos. Truly amazed that he even offered those, since he's typically not a "say cheese" type of guy.

stand up paddle made popular by Laird and Dave Kalama

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... G%26um%3D1
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    id rocks wrote:
    I'm not sure I can make this work to share my photos, but here's my attempt:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/cmrmd77

Great shots!!! Right in front of the Aquarium... Nice!!!
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    touringfan wrote:

stand up paddle made popular by Laird and Dave Kalama

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... G%26um%3D1

Best. Workout. Ever.

Thinking I might try the Grand Canyon this year...where there's no rapids...more of a "slowpid" type...

SuP is AWESOME!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Awesome!!!!
  • Options
    PJPJ Posts: 282
    Wow congrats, thats an awesome story! Love your daughters face :o
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • Options
    i love how in the background of the picture is says, "ED" or "EDWARD" right next to eddie's head :)
  • Options
    ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    awesome story, congrats on meeting him and that's great you guys got some pics too!
    "Push me and I will resist"
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 631
    That's so funny he was right near the Maryland Science Center! Thanks for sharing.
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    I love your story! I especially LOVED the way your daughter looks at him in the pictures :D
    One other thing those pictures made me think was "a boarder, always a boarder. Whether it might be a surfboard, skateboard or a paddleboard :)"
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    Awesome story. Glad you guys had a wonderful time. Great pix :D Your daughter is a cutie :P
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    awesome :D
    haha that pic is cool and funny with the board in it. :D

Hmm I have a 2 year old bro do you think that would better my chances of getting a pic with him? hahah JK.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    koda74koda74 Posts: 86
    Aww, that's great :)
    Thanks for sharing. Love the pic of your daughter staring at Ed, lol.
    i love how in the background of the picture is says, "ED" or "EDWARD" right next to eddie's head :)
    I didn't notice that at first, that is really cool :)
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    id rocks wrote:
    I see this big silver haired older guy carrying a stand-up paddle board

So Ed went surfing with Boom then, eh? ;) j/k, great story!
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    awesome photos, you lucky chap....

I'm turning green again :mrgreen:
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    thank you for sharing your story and photos. I really love seeing Ed barefooted...
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    thank you for sharing your story and photos. I really love seeing Ed barefooted...

Yeah. He has cute feet. :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:

smiley-happy119.gif
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    justam wrote:

:shock:
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    justam wrote:

:shock:
    sorry...I have a foot thing... :oops:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Man, that is sweet! I hear so many stories of them being awesome to fans at these random meetings.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    arq wrote:
    touringfan wrote:

+1

Couldn't agree more. A random meeting sure beats a planned and fabricated one. Please don't wait outside by my car after work today. I am not signing or shaking hands today. :roll:
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    incredible indeed.

good for you and your family.

Ed's board is gigantic!
    Nice shirt.