Options

Missing songs on greatest hits/best of albums

Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
edited November 2008 in Other Music
Greatest hits albums are usually a great idea but what's the point if they don't include some of the best songs?

Two I can think of at the top of my head are Pink Floyd's "Echoes" missing "Have A Cigar" and "Shot In The Dark" absent from Ozzy Osbourne's essential hits.

What are others that you can think of?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Tom Petty's greatest hits album is missing "Jammin Me," "Change of Heart," and "Woman In Love."

Inexcusable. Fortunately the 2-disc Anthology fixes this problem.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 382
    the biggest because it's the best selling one...

The Eagles don't have "Hotel California" on theirs....it's probably their most popular song and its not on there. crazy
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Thats because their greatest hits came out right before hotel california. Can't be on the greatest hits if it hasn't been written yet haha.

I don't own a lot of greatest hits so I don't really know... Pigs Three Different Ones comes to mind when it comes to Pink Floyd. Heartbreaker not being on Zeppelin's Early Days best of disc... Red Mosquito or Present Tense being on PJs
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Oasis are missing loads of songs
    Smashing Pumpkins skipped Thirty Three which is one of their best songs
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Thats because their greatest hits came out right before hotel california. Can't be on the greatest hits if it hasn't been written yet haha.

I don't own a lot of greatest hits so I don't really know... Pigs Three Different Ones comes to mind when it comes to Pink Floyd. Heartbreaker not being on Zeppelin's Early Days best of disc... Red Mosquito or Present Tense being on PJs

I can agree with Red Mosquito seeing as it charted on the U.S. rock charts, but Present Tense was never a "hit."
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    I never understood why Ants Marching was missing from DMB's greatest hits.

It's the one song everyone recognizes with DMB.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I can agree with Red Mosquito seeing as it charted on the U.S. rock charts, but Present Tense was never a "hit."

I never think of greatest hits as like charting the music charts just great songs by the band that people should know. I didn't realize Light Years or Breath were hits. I don't think I have ever heard either of them on the radio...
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bruce Springsteen's original Greatest Hits was definitely a head scratcher. But the Essential Bruce Springsteen three-disc set released a few years ago pretty much makes up for it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Kraven wrote:
    I never think of greatest hits as like charting the music charts just great songs by the band that people should know. I didn't realize Light Years or Breath were hits. I don't think I have ever heard either of them on the radio...
    well, Light Years was a single. Breath.... i don't know either. same with State.. other than the fact that they're both amazing songs i have no idea why they're on RVM.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    DOSW wrote:
    Bruce Springsteen's original Greatest Hits was definitely a head scratcher. But the Essential Bruce Springsteen three-disc set released a few years ago pretty much makes up for it.

Except for it was missing "Secret Garden".
  • Options
    poto101 wrote:
    The Eagles don't have "Hotel California" on theirs....it's probably their most popular song and its not on there. crazy

It's on Volume 2.
  • Options
    Eric Clapton's greatest hits album (Timepieces) is missing tons of great stuff.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    DOSW wrote:

I was thinking that, but pretty much every song on BITUSA was a hit single so I guess he can't put all of them on.

Surprised Secret Garden wasn't on Essential though, seeing as it was a Top 20 hit and is probably one of his best songs.

I swear I've got a Van Morrison Greatest Hits CD which doesn't have Brown Eyed Girl. Which is pretty crazy. Might be chronicling his later stuff though.

I always wondered why Pearl Jams greatest hits was called 'rearviewmirror.' I love the song but why name the album after it? I don't even think it was that much of a hit.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I always wondered why Pearl Jams greatest hits was called 'rearviewmirror.' I love the song but why name the album after it? I don't even think it was that much of a hit.

Uh...maybe because it ties in with the artwork and "looking back at the past" theme of the album?
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    JWBusher wrote:
    Uh...maybe because it ties in with the artwork and "looking back at the past" theme of the album?

I always thought rearviewmirror was about trying to get away from the past and not letting it define you.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I always thought rearviewmirror was about trying to get away from the past and not letting it define you.

I don't think they were trying to be that deep. They just needed an appropriate title and artwork to go with it. Rearviewmirror ties it all together.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    never understood how " springtime in vienna " never made on yer favorites.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    how about NY's "cortez the killer", it wasn't on his most recent GH, i guess it was too long.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    how about NY's "cortez the killer", it wasn't on his most recent GH, i guess it was too long.

That really should have been a double CD, but Neil wanted to keep it simple.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:

The studio version of Cortez is shorter than Cowgirl and Down By The River.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    JWBusher wrote:
    That really should have been a double CD, but Neil wanted to keep it simple.

That's pretty much what Decade is, right? Obviously it's only a ten year span but still.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:

Well, Present Tense is a great song, but I don't think most people besides the hardcore fans even know about it.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too