Options

Swagga Like Us - T.I. Featuring Kanye, Lil Wayne, and Jay-Z

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,540
edited October 2008 in Other Music
One of the best mainstream rap songs I've heard in a while

If you haven't heard it, youtube it immediately!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Seriously if you think Lil Wayne is good you have no idea what good hip hop is.
  • Options

ok thank you for your opinion
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options

Please tell us what good hip hop is......if there is better rap than Wayne I wanna know where to get it.

Weezy is top notch. Top 5 rappers out there if you ask me. In fact, when he says "the best rapper alive, since the best rapper retired" I can't disagree. He is endlessly creative and never stops working.
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Not bad. I liked T.I's verse the best.

Personally, I prefer this collabo better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_ir5wM8mE
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Please tell us what good hip hop is......if there is better rap than Wayne I wanna know where to get it.

Weezy is top notch. Top 5 rappers out there if you ask me. In fact, when he says "the best rapper alive, since the best rapper retired" I can't disagree. He is endlessly creative and never stops working.

agreed

weezy f baby
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

I listen to a lot of hip-hop so I have TRIED to understand quite how Weezy has not just given himself this title of best rapper alive but had it bestowed upon him by other people. The guy is a drug-addled tool with a penchant for wordplay but shit beats and no cohesiveness, a shit voice and a bad flow. People dig him because he's wacky. If you want wacky, listen to Ol' Dirty Bastard singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow in 'Goin' Down'.

Top 5 my arse. He might be the nearest thing to creative that's coming out of MAINSTREAM hip-hop right now, if you consider creativity to mean sipping sizzurp and saying shit like "Yeah son, I got less regrets than Edith Piaf, and a big long neck like a mo'fuckin' giraffe", but that's not saying much. The guy is a fucking hack. There's a ton of stuff out there that makes him look as creative as Puff Daddy that will never get any recognition because the moronic kids and deluded people "in the know" have decided that Wayne is the saviour of rap music.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Dude, Snow

Snow motherfuckers.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    "Yeah son, I got less regrets than Edith Piaf, and a big long neck like a mo'fuckin' giraffe"

:D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    The guy is a joke. He uses auto-tune so he sounds like a robot. He sucks at guitar too. Seems to be all commercial and no love for music.
    He's lines are all random and pointless
    Example:
    "And when I was 5, my favorite movie was "The Gremlins"
    Ain't got shit to do with this, but I just thought that I should mention"

Nas is the best rapper alive.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I listen to a lot of hip-hop so I have TRIED to understand quite how Weezy has not just given himself this title of best rapper alive but had it bestowed upon him by other people. The guy is a drug-addled tool with a penchant for wordplay but shit beats and no cohesiveness, a shit voice and a bad flow. People dig him because he's wacky. If you want wacky, listen to Ol' Dirty Bastard singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow in 'Goin' Down'.

Top 5 my arse. He might be the nearest thing to creative that's coming out of MAINSTREAM hip-hop right now, if you consider creativity to mean sipping sizzurp and saying shit like "Yeah son, I got less regrets than Edith Piaf, and a big long neck like a mo'fuckin' giraffe", but that's not saying much. The guy is a fucking hack. There's a ton of stuff out there that makes him look as creative as Puff Daddy that will never get any recognition because the moronic kids and deluded people "in the know" have decided that Wayne is the saviour of rap music.

Have you considered a job with Pitchfork?

Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    Have you considered a job with Pitchfork?
    What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Pitchfork LOVE Wayne, same as every other middle-class white hipster publication who think they're being post-modern or ironic or something. I'm as middle-class and white as they come and even I can see there's something wrong there. That's because I actually explore hip-hop, rather than wait for the media to come along and go "shit, this guy is crazy, he's got tattoos on his face and he raps about cough syrup, listen to him and you'll be the coolest kid in college".

The existence of Wayne is the kind of reason why groups like Binary Star release one monumental album and then fade into obscurity, because hardly anyone is listening and it's a shame. Why exactly Wayne is going multi-platinum but guys like MF DOOM are kind of niche "indie" rap is bizarre to me. DOOM has a stupid gimmick, he wears a mask and spells his name in capitals, he uses abstract lyrics, he's a bit insane etc etc but he works with excellent producers like Madlib, he has one of the best flows ever and his "wacky" lyrics make perfect sense once you get the puns, they aren't just strings of nonsense. Wayne is a fabrication, the emperor's new clothes if you will. There's nothing actually there, it's just being called the best thing around.

The urban kids like him because they don't know any better and the hipsters like him because of the "realness". What they don't realise is that they are still backpackers, just listening to the shit stuff. Aesop Rock may be a nerdy jew but he's got talent. Calling Wayne the greatest rapper alive doesn't make you look less Pitchfork, it makes you look like a middle-aged parent going into the record shop and asking "what's the best hippity-hop out right now? my son said something about a nice young man called Weezy".
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Pitchfork LOVE Wayne, same as every other middle-class white hipster publication who think they're being post-modern or ironic or something. I'm as middle-class and white as they come and even I can see there's something wrong there. That's because I actually explore hip-hop, rather than wait for the media to come along and go "shit, this guy is crazy, he's got tattoos on his face and he raps about cough syrup, listen to him and you'll be the coolest kid in college".

The existence of Wayne is the kind of reason why groups like Binary Star release one monumental album and then fade into obscurity, because hardly anyone is listening and it's a shame. Why exactly Wayne is going multi-platinum but guys like MF DOOM are kind of niche "indie" rap is bizarre to me. DOOM has a stupid gimmick, he wears a mask and spells his name in capitals, he uses abstract lyrics, he's a bit insane etc etc but he works with excellent producers like Madlib, he has one of the best flows ever and his "wacky" lyrics make perfect sense once you get the puns, they aren't just strings of nonsense. Wayne is a fabrication, the emperor's new clothes if you will. There's nothing actually there, it's just being called the best thing around.

The urban kids like him because they don't know any better and the hipsters like him because of the "realness". What they don't realise is that they are still backpackers, just listening to the shit stuff. Aesop Rock may be a nerdy jew but he's got talent. Calling Wayne the greatest rapper alive doesn't make you look less Pitchfork, it makes you look like a middle-aged parent going into the record shop and asking "what's the best hippity-hop out right now? my son said something about a nice young man called Weezy".

Ouch!
  • Options
    Sorry, rough morning and I like to rant.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

And pitchfork loves some MF DOOM too :)

Madvillainy is required listening for any Hip-Hop fan.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    i agree that Lil'Wayne is not a great as he's hyped up to be, but i do like this song. It is one of the best mainstream rap songs in a while, and that is saying a lot because mainstream rap sucks these days. I think the other "all-star" rappers on this song is what makes it great.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    Some weezy songs the haters should listen to before you shit on him

Get High Rule the World
    Walk It Out Freestyle
    Back on my Grizzy
    Dipset 2
    One Night Only
    Go DJ
    Weezy's Ambitions
    Best Rapper Alive
    Smoke That Kush

Most of those are from Drought 3...my favorite mixtape of his (probably the most popular too)
    But check out Drought is Over Part 4 (and Part 5)

Get High Rule the World is my favorite song of his ever
  • Options

Get High Rule the World is my favorite song of his ever
    So his best moments are just talking utter bollocks over Nas beats?
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    i agree with jeremy1012. you said it way better than i could have but i feel the same way about weezy. everyone's entitled to their own music taste so i won't call people stupid for liking him, but damn for the life of me i can't see the appeal. i usually have to turn him off.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

OK man....you win. Your opinion is superior. Geesh.....

Thanks for dropping so much knowledge on us. Maybe try being a little less smug and condescending next time.....just a thought.

Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    OK man....you win. Your opinion is superior. Geesh.....

Thanks for dropping so much knowledge on us. Maybe try being a little less smug and condescending next time.....just a thought.
    It's a discussion board, I'm just stating my opinion. It's a little forceful because the notion that Wayne is a top 5 rapper is a little strong in my opinion.

I never said my opinion was superior but I explained why I felt that way. Maybe you can explain why Wayne is in the top 5 living rappers?
  • Options
    On a side note for Wayne was a no show for a Boston concert last night. Obviously he was the headline, and offered no explanation. The guy is a douche.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's a discussion board, I'm just stating my opinion. It's a little forceful because the notion that Wayne is a top 5 rapper is a little strong in my opinion.

I never said my opinion was superior but I explained why I felt that way. Maybe you can explain why Wayne is in the top 5 living rappers?

Yeah, it was pretty damn forceful.

It's taste...it's opinion. There is no science to it. I can assure you my appreciation for Weezy has nothing to do with his tats or his syrup. How about we drop the Weezy deal? Fair?

Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    Yeah, it was pretty damn forceful.

It's taste...it's opinion. There is no science to it. I can assure you my appreciation for Weezy has nothing to do with his tats or his syrup. How about we drop the Weezy deal? Fair?
    Deal, no worries.

I'm a frightful twat, ignore me.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    So his best moments are just talking utter bollocks over Nas beats?

its called a mixtape...freestyling over other peoples beats...almost every rapper does it, hense why the intro to drought 3 wayne says "i can jump on any niggaas song and make a part 2"
  • Options
    its called a mixtape...freestyling over other peoples beats...almost every rapper does it, hense why the intro to drought 3 wayne says "i can jump on any niggaas song and make a part 2"
    Yes, I am familiar with mixtapes. I'm interested as to why, if Wayne is in the top 5 rappers in the world, his best stuff is on other people's tunes. Does he not have the balls to bring it on his proper releases, in case they don't sell 3 million? He just has to use vocoders and stuff instead?

Also, a hip-hop mixtape is not merely freestyling over old beats, they are also meant for rough mixes and demos of the artist's own songs. Wayne does that too, just from what I've heard of him, rather poorly.