Options

Help me understand this KOL hype.

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
edited September 2008 in Other Music
Okay..

tell me what i need to listen to to understand all this KOL hype please.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    They are good. But I think the Hype > than reality.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    cuz they are awesome. actually ignore that. im contributing to the ridiculous hype. just picked up the new album while trying to ignore the hype and love it.

i will say that i didnt get them at all until i saw them live. i thought his voice was corny, but now i get it. shame about that dude's face though. ugly as hell.
  • Options
    I was gonna start a thread about this awhile ago but I just decided to post my thoughts on KOL in a thread here:http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=5864474#post5864474

Never understood the hype. I think they sound pretty lame and look like douche bag emos in some of their pics.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I was gonna start a thread about this awhile ago but I just decided to post my thoughts on KOL in a thread here:http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=5864474#post5864474

Never understood the hype. I think they sound pretty lame and look like douche bag emos in some of their pics.

the lead singer plays the guitar all annoying and the guitarist on the left looks so annoying when he is playing but hey i better listen to their music.

I watched them on jools holland and thought they were mediocre.
  • Options
    Heh, I was just thinking the same thing.
    I find their songs to be pretty average, but then again, I've only heard a handful. I actually do like the singer's voice however.

I forgot where, but one critic described KoL as, 'hipster music you don't have to feel guilty liking'...I think that kinda explains the hype? I dunno, I don't get it either.
    "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -Michael Scott
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We saw them open for PJ in Hawaii in 2006. Liked them and bought their album because of that, but were disappointed. I think they are just ok. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    They are great live.
    I love the first two albums and would highly recommend them (Youth & Young manhood, Aha Shake Heartbreak)
    I dont like the new album at all. I love KOL but do not understand the hype on this album at all.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Okay..

Just listen to their music...any of it. Pick an album or a song and press play. The first 2 albums are where they started. The last 2 are where they are.

It's not that difficult. Either you'll like or you won't. Despite what anyone says, they are quite unique; whether you like them or not, they are unique and for that reason, alone, they deserve all the praise that they get.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    recommend their first 3 albums their new one is pretty average to be honest. It has a few good songs (manhattan, cold desert, closer, crawl) but nothing like their first 3 albums. I would see them live again though they are good live.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    I dont get them either, saw them a couple of years back at a festival and found them to be very bland.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Just listen to their music...any of it. Pick an album or a song and press play. The first 2 albums are where they started. The last 2 are where they are.

It's not that difficult. Either you'll like or you won't. Despite what anyone says, they are quite unique; whether you like them or not, they are unique and for that reason, alone, they deserve all the praise that they get.
    if you dont like it, you dont like it. dont force yourself. their live show is what sold it for me too. the new album is excellent in my opinion and i hope to see them again very soon.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Just listen to them, if you like you like, you like, and if you dont, dont listen again. There is no hidden secret.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=duNcbab0Zng

WATCH THAT. That is why everyone likes them. The energy, the lyrics, the garage-band-ness. Awesome.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    the lead singer plays the guitar all annoying and the guitarist on the left looks so annoying when he is playing but hey i better listen to their music.

I watched them on jools holland and thought they were mediocre.
    Same here. Also, the bassist has one of the worst bass tones and worst techniques I've ever seen. The guitarist looked like Matt Lucas and they all looked like they'd much rather be doing something else. All their songs sound... "flat" to me; lifeless.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    MattyJoe wrote:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=duNcbab0Zng

WATCH THAT. That is why everyone likes them. The energy, the lyrics, the garage-band-ness. Awesome.

You mean that's why people liked them. ;)

I enjoy KOL a lot. Have all their records, am seeing them next month for the 4th time . . . but the live show is kinda boring and predictable. Also they're not the most entertaining live act to watch. Just my humble opinion.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I try to avoid hype that surrounds any band or artist. I avoid reading reviews on shows and albums.
    I'd rather make my own mind up.

As Public Enemy once said "Don't Believe The Hype"!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    I've been a fan of KOL for about 5 years, the new album is not as representative of the original sound that got me into them originally. I still like the new album though.

For me it's the lyrics and the voice that gets me into them... I've seen them live 4 times and they are good ....not great.
    IMO they need more audience interaction during their live sets.
    the Minions
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Okay..

You are in the UK where they are popular. Listen to Black Thumbnail, Tranni, Use Somebody, Spiral Staircase, Fans, Wasted Time, Ragoo.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Okay..

Why? You obviously don't like them or don't find them that interesting. Why should anyone try to "help" you understand them.

I personally really like them. I have been a fan since the first album came out and hardly anyone knew who they were. I have seen them live 8 or 9 times and every show was good. Not great, but good. Their image has changed and I could care less what the reasons are behind that. As long as they put out music I like, that's all that matters to me.

There will always be haters.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    Why? You obviously don't like them or don't find them that interesting. Why should anyone try to "help" you understand them.

I personally really like them. I have been a fan since the first album came out and hardly anyone knew who they were. I have seen them live 8 or 9 times and every show was good. Not great, but good. Their image has changed and I could care less what the reasons are behind that. As long as they put out music I like, that's all that matters to me.

There will always be haters.

LOL i dont hate them, i just think they look annoying when they play but that can easily be overcome if they are good.

I mean you want me to go on just 2 songs played on a tv show then thats cool but Im asking for albums to check out so i can actually make a decent opinion.
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    LOL i dont hate them, i just think they look annoying when they play but that can easily be overcome if they are good.

I mean you want me to go on just 2 songs played on a tv show then thats cool but Im asking for albums to check out so i can actually make a decent opinion.

I didn't say you specifically, hate them, just pointing out there will always be haters and people who find a band, a team, a person that they don't like for whatever reason.

And I didn't ask you to go on 2 songs you saw on TV to decide whether or not you like them. I could really care less if you like them or not.

But if you are asking, so that you can make a decent opinion, just start from their first, Youth & Young Manhood, then Aha Shake Heartbreak, then their third Because of the Times.

What pulled me into them, when I first heard Y&YM, I thought it was very raw and not like any band out at that time. His voice was different, not the best, but I liked that it was different, I thought they sounded different. With each album, I think they have grown and progressed in their sound and not tried to stay the same with each album. Some like that, some don't. I really liked their second and I though the third album was excellent! I am still listening to the new one, it is totally different from the others, I think the first 5 songs on the new album are very good.

But hey, like you, that is just my opinion.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    Same here. Also, the bassist has one of the worst bass tones and worst techniques I've ever seen. The guitarist looked like Matt Lucas and they all looked like they'd much rather be doing something else. All their songs sound... "flat" to me; lifeless.
    respectfully but completely disagree. bass is awesome

i just like that dirty, southern rock feel. Them, Black Keys and early MMJ do it for me.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I just think most of the songs sound the same.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    For me it's Caleb's voice... I just love it :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    respectfully but completely disagree. bass is awesome

i just like that dirty, southern rock feel. Them, Black Keys and early MMJ do it for me.
    I'm just going by what I saw. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the basslines, just the tone and technique. If you're going to play with a pick at least do it well. I always found it odd the amount of attention KOL got on this forum, especially since they're the "cool" band to like at the moment in the UK.
  • Options
    i've listened to 'because of the times' a few times but never really got into it.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    I'm just going by what I saw. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the basslines, just the tone and technique. If you're going to play with a pick at least do it well. I always found it odd the amount of attention KOL got on this forum, especially since they're the "cool" band to like at the moment in the UK.
    Actually they're not "the cool band to like at the moment" in the UK.

The UK's been all over KOL since their first album came out.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    they fucking rock because i say so being a NY 'er i know it all and i'm allways right ;) plus if you don't get this band by now you never will .....so don't try
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

heh, i wish i lived in the UK. here the only bands that get huge are Nickelback and whiny emo shit.
    Brain Of E wrote:
    i've listened to 'because of the times' a few times but never really got into it.

i was never really a big fan of that one either. love this one though.