Options

Help me understand this KOL hype.

2»

Comments

• Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I bought their new album last night on a whim. I didn't know much about them other than the fact that they opened for Pearl Jam and U2 a few times. What sold me was their performance on Saturday Night Live last week and that catchy-as-hell chorus & guitar line from "Sex on Fire". Cool song. Cool band. Cool album. For those who are fans, which album would you recommend I pick up next?
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I bought their new album last night on a whim. I didn't know much about them other than the fact that they opened for Pearl Jam and U2 a few times. What sold me was their performance on Saturday Night Live last week and that catchy-as-hell chorus & guitar line from "Sex on Fire". Cool song. Cool band. Cool album. For those who are fans, which album would you recommend I pick up next?
    Start at the beginning and work your way up.

Youth & Young Manhood ---> Aha Heartbreak Shake ---> Because Of The Times

That way you'll hear them grow.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:

I don't think you can go too far wrong either way, they're all good, but if you only want to buy one at the moment I would probably go with Because Of The Times or Aha Shake Heartbreak.
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Actually they're not "the cool band to like at the moment" in the UK.

The UK's been all over KOL since their first album came out.
    Yeah, but the popularity has gradually increased with each album.
  • Options
    Yeah, but the popularity has gradually increased with each album.
    And so it should; that's how it's supposed to work with a band or artist that puts out music that gradually gets better and better.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    Spiral Staircase going down, paint your body red and brown....
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I don't think KOL is the next Pearl Jam; they're just a great young rock band. There just aren't so many new bands that make great rock and roll these days. The kind of rock Pearl Jam makes. But in the U.S. it's not like KOL is on heavy rotation on most of the rock stations. They're not quite mainstream enough, which is fine by me.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    no, you help yourself understand the hype... what is it with kids these days... even want their hype spoon-fed to them!!!

:p
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBdPEaNj-g

Everyone should watch this video from their home video series, gave me a really different insight into the band and Caleb as a lyricist, I never really cared much about their lyrics, but the way he talks about the song Cold Desert kind of gave me the chills.
  • Options
    Listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak...repeat
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Only By The Night is my favorite album of '08 so far..... I looove it.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    M.G wrote:
    They are great live.
    I love the first two albums and would highly recommend them (Youth & Young manhood, Aha Shake Heartbreak)
    I dont like the new album at all. I love KOL but do not understand the hype on this album at all.

Aha is mediocre. Go with Youth and Because of the Times. Good stuff right there.

Aha gets stroked way too hard.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    no, you help yourself understand the hype... what is it with kids these days... even want their hype spoon-fed to them!!!

:p

the kids don't know how to dance to rock n roll
  • Options
    I just think most of the songs sound the same.
    I agree :o I like them and I think Fans is one of the catchiest songs EVER, however I can't listen to a whole album without getting bored halfway through! There doesn't seem to be much depth :o . It's just catchy feelgood rock that can get boring in a relatively short time :o

The black keys on the other hand :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    augustwest wrote:
    the kids don't know how to dance to rock n roll

Love the Sam Roberts quote! Sammy fuckin' rules.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    I don't get it either. And no, I don't want to be convinced to like them or explained why there is so much hype. I just find the music boring and the guy's voice is bad if not downright annoying, in my opinion.

Their emo punk rocker image irritates me and I can stop thinking about the Jonas Brothers when I hear/see them. I tried to watch them on SNL to see if seeing them live on a venue like that would pique my interest but it just annoyed me even more. Especially that song where the bass and guitar player were shrieking on those backup vocals. Yikes.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    their first two albums are hit and miss...........some really solid songs within them though.

Because of the times may be one of the best albums i've ever heard, and Only by the night is continues their progression.
  • Options
    lmao.... I figured out the image in my head that always annoys me about them... when they are all screaming "whoa whoaaa, whoa whoaaa" or whatever during "Use Somebody". It makes me want to punch myself.
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    To me the first two are hit and miss (but definitely aims at a niche market), BotT is a great great great album (but definitely gone more mainstream) and the new album is a knee-jerk "oh, they're big now? Better say it's amazing" reaction to a horribly watered down album.

Happens with a lot of bands, the first few good records go under the radar, then suddenly they're big, rushing out an sub-par album to ride the wave. Not to say I don't think KoL can't make another great album, but Only by the Night isn't it and this hype is baffling me. At the moment I'd say they're an alright band that are too inconsistant for me to count as a fan, but that could change in the future if they release anything better.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    i think Only By the Night is what they were trying to do with Because of the Times. BotT is very uneven to me. With ObtN, they've figured it out. its my favorite KoL album start to finish i think. to me its their most consistent album to date and lets face it, KoL has always been about catchy riffs and simple songs. this isnt any different. i hope they never change.

but its all just opinion.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    just hearing randommly on sites and radio etc, i quite dig the guys voice.
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    just hearing randommly on sites and radio etc, i quite dig the guys voice.
    His voice is without a doubt an extremely unique instrument. I've found that people either love his voice or abhor it; very little middle ground there.

I completely dug it the first time I heard it.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    It's funny how people always seem to feel like everyone should love bands they love, and hate bands they hate. Just an observation, and definitely not everyone in this thread or forum. I usually stay away from saying negative things about bands (there's enought negativity in the world these days).

Personally, I love KOL, and I love the progression they have made from T&YM to OBTN. I adore "Cold Desert" and "Use Somebody".... I also love the back-up vocals in "Use Somebody." That song gets stuck in my head in a good way. ;)

The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same music. :)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Okay..

tell me what i need to listen to to understand all this KOL hype please.
    you need to listen to the music and your instincts. thats all.

ive been listening to KoL for a number of years now and ive not yet met a song of theres i dotn like. they kick your arse when you least expect it. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say