Options

Stuck in a 90s time-warp

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited September 2008 in Other Music
It's never occurred to me before. But I was talking about music with a couple of friends over the weekend, and it quickly became apparent that practically all the music I listen to regularly and love is from the 90's!

It's all PJ, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, Super Furry Animals, The Charlatans, Rage, Blind Melon, FNM...
Even the bands that kicked off in the 80's like REM, Dinosaur Jr (and of course SG!), they only really made it big during the 90's.

Now I do make an effort to buy new music and listen to discover new bands, but keep going back to the old favourites!!

The only more recent bands I listen to are maybe Wintersleep, MMJ, Kings of Leon, bit of The Killers & Incubus ( In know they started in the 90's, but I'm struggling!!).

Is just a fact that those 90's albums are always gonna be my favourites because I grew up listening to them, all the way through school and into adulthood, or am I missing out on some masterpieces?
Surely there are some must listen albums out there since 2000 that I've missed. And some new fresh bands that have gone under my radar over the past 8 years!

I've started with some stuff like MGMT, Band of Horses, TV on the Radio...

Please help me leave the 90's !!!!! All suggestions welcomed!
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    You're moving in the right direction for newer bands for sure.

I'd suggest the Raconteurs, Wolf Parade, Fleet Foxes, The Shins, Modest Mouse, Eagles of Death Metal, Cold War Kids, The Hold Steady, Gutter Twins, and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's for newer music to listen to.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    You're moving in the right direction for newer bands for sure.

I'd suggest the Raconteurs, Wolf Parade, Fleet Foxes, The Shins, Modest Mouse, Eagles of Death Metal, Cold War Kids, The Hold Steady, Gutter Twins, and the Yeah Yeah Yeah's for newer music to listen to.

Ha ha! Funny you should mention Cold War Kids, Gutter Twins & The Raconteurs - I've just ordered their latest releases this morning !!!

I've tried Modest Mouse, not sure about them yet - only got their most recent album, maybe I should try another.
    Not familiar with Wolf Parade, Fleet Foxes, The Shins - what kind of sound are they?!

Cheers for the suggestions.
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I'm with you. I tell all my friends who I talk about music with, that Pearl Jam is truly the last great rock band. I feel no one has really emerged in this decade that makes music that will hold up years from now. I know people will throw out names of various bands and say this one is great or that one is great. But for me personally, I've heard very few good bands emerge in the last 10 years, and absolutely no great ones. New music today just doesn't do anything for me. Everything I listen to is from the 60s-90s and I've been that way for a long time. People make fun of me for it sometimes...people whose fav. bands are horrific like Linkin Park :)
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Ha ha! Funny you should mention Cold War Kids, Gutter Twins & The Raconteurs - I've just ordered their latest releases this morning !!!

I've tried Modest Mouse, not sure about them yet - only got their most recent album, maybe I should try another.
    Not familiar with Wolf Parade, Fleet Foxes, The Shins - what kind of sound are they?!

Cheers for the suggestions.

The Shins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwCmcB0XMw
    Fleet Foxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQRS40OKNE
    Wolf Parade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh8-r6O43Rw

I'd say the Shins are the easiest to get into out of these 3

Also you'd probably like the Black Keys also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKeCNqycE8
    NERDS!
  • Options
    The Shins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwCmcB0XMw
    Fleet Foxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQRS40OKNE
    Wolf Parade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh8-r6O43Rw

I'd say the Shins are the easiest to get into out of these 3

Also you'd probably like the Black Keys also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKeCNqycE8

Cheers for that. Think I'll give all three a go. Sound good.
    I've got the Black Keys album, and you're spot on. Love it.
    Seems like maybe I'm getting there slowly then?!!
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Cheers for that. Think I'll give all three a go. Sound good.
    I've got the Black Keys album, and you're spot on. Love it.
    Seems like maybe I'm getting there slowly then?!!
    You're there as much as I am. My newer stuff is mostly the stuff we've already listed and plenty of hip-hop. :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I am the same way. I listen to a lot of new stuff but I always revert back to the 90s stuff. Those albums are like Ole Faithful to me. I spent the entire day yesterday listening to AIC Jar of Flies. I have kind of accepted that those albums mean a lot to me and I can't replace them.
  • Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Surely there are some must listen albums out there since 2000 that I've missed.
    We can all give you recommendations, but you really just have to start listening to music with a different ear if you want to break away from the 90's stuff. Here are mine though:

Tool - Lateralus
    Boris - Smile
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
    Clutch - From Beale Street To Oblivion
    Isis - Panopticon
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    TV on the Radio
    The National
    The Arcade Fire

Probably my three favorite bands from this decade.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    ya indeed, only present thing i'll talk about is death magnetic and thats about it. All this indie bs is just shit.
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ya indeed, only present thing i'll talk about is death magnetic and thats about it. All this indie bs is just shit.
    Death Magnetic is the latest example of what I mean. Its a great album, just came out, but its from a band who has been around 25 years.

There are a lot of albums from this decade I really like, but all are by artists who were well established by the end of the 90s.

I still have not found a band to really emerge in the last, hell I'd say 15 years, who I consider great and making a really important contribution to the musical landscape. Some good ones, nothing great
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    Think maybe music has changed over the past 15 years. Bands aren't given time to develop and become themselves and find their own sound these days.

Look at bands who have big debut albums over recent years like The Killers & Razorlight, hell even Kings of Leon.
    There's so much pressure from recond labels to shift millions in album sales that they got no chance of making a 'No Code' or a 'Kid A'.
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    Nearly all of the music I listen to is from the 90's. The 90's kicked ass.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Think maybe music has changed over the past 15 years. Bands aren't given time to develop and become themselves and find their own sound these days.

Look at bands who have big debut albums over recent years like The Killers & Razorlight, hell even Kings of Leon.
    There's so much pressure from recond labels to shift millions in album sales that they got no chance of making a 'No Code' or a 'Kid A'.
    Major record labels are less likely than ever to take a chance on a band just because the music industry is declining, I agree with that.

There are plenty of great bands making really great albums, you just have to look for them now because popular rock music has taken a terrible turn this decade. I'm a huge 90s fan, if that wasn't obvious from me being a member of this board, but there is some fantastic music being made today(and for the past 8 years). The difference now is that you aren't going to hear the good stuff on the radio. An annoyance for sure, but once you start digging you will find a nearly endless supply of great music from this decade.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    how about some queens of the stone age. Since josh homme the frontman got his start in the 90's it seems many folks tend to like his stuff. THeir albums songs for the dead and rated R are my favs by them.

I don't like a lot of mainstream stuff from the 2000's but i've gotten into a lot of "indie" bands or whatever you want to call them.

Many have already been mentione like
    arcade fire-funeral
    national-boxer
    tv on the radio- dear science (just came out but probably easiest to get into)
    modest mouse- lonesome crowded west
    built to spill- live (best album to start with killer 20 min cortez the killer)
    And you will know us by the trail of the dead- Source tags and Codes (not metal just a metal sounding name)
    Rancontours-Counslers of the lonely
    White Stripes- Elephant
    Ryan Adams- hard to pick an album he is singer songwriter
    Neko Case- Fox Confessor brings the flood
    Dredg- Catch Without Arms

There are many more but most of the bands that sound like 90's bands just come off as cheap rip offs.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    hey were getting old. i listen to a lot of new stuff but it will never hit me like PJ, AiC, Smashing Pumpkins and all those 90s bands. guess thats the way it is.
  • Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Music doesn't change...it's always out there. What changes is who the music mags feel like writing about, and what term they want to use to describe them. Today it's "indie"...In the early 90's, it was "grunge"...and on down the line. None of these terms really mean anything though. There's always great music out there, and there are always bands who have a unique sound. You just don't usually know about them until a good 5-7 years after they start making music. On top of that, bands usually take a long time to develop their own sound even after they form.
  • Options
    yea im right there with you, i'll usually get any PJ, RHCP, Metallica, NIN record that comes out, bands i've been listening to since the 90's. the few bands i've gotten into lately are like Interpol and Wolfmother ( :( ).
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Glad to hear you've discovered Wintersleep! They're an amazing band. I'd also highly recommend checking out any (or all) of the following:

The National
    The Tragically Hip
    The Constantines
    Kathleen Edwards
    The Hold Steady
    Neko Case
    The Weakerthans
    Cuff the Duke
    Sarah Harmer

Happy listening!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible or Funeral
    Jason Collett - Idols of Exile
    Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
    Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker OR Gold OR Easy Tiger (the man is incredible)
    Stars - In Our Bedroom After The War

Those should be good to start out with.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Same here, except for me, it's also 90's movies, shows, and games. It's great, huh?
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    pirlo21 wrote:

I would suggest getting The Moon and Antarctica.
  • Options
    Heard a few people mention this genius of a song-writer:

Ryan Adams

Not one bad album made by this guy, but my personal favorite is Cold Roses, and Love is Hell (both part I and part II). Can't survive without those! He's pretty much the only band that's really stood out in the 2000's.

The current new band I'm digging lately is: Black Mountain
    Pretty trippy stuff!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    Lots of people have mentioned Ryan Adams, gotta say I do love a couple of his albums. Got tickets to see him when he's over in the UK in a few weeks!
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    secret machines ~ ten silver drops
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    as much as i hate to admit it, one of my favourite albums from a 2000's band is CSS debut album....really fucking good. theyre a crap band live, but the weird album sticks out from a lot of shite ive heard in last few years.

i second the Black Keys, TV On The Radio suggestions....but I cant think of any great rock bands from the last few years though. None whatsoever have caught my attention.