Options

Fender Twin, Vox AC30CC or Fender 57 Twin Amp reissue?

moejilesmoejiles Posts: 70
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Money aside, which one would you guys get for a standard les paul and standard strat to play blues/rock/Pearl Jam/Tragically hip?

Moe
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Don't think you can really go wrong with any of them, but the Twin is the most versatile in my opinion, with the Vox next and the 57 Twin last. Having said that, I'm all about the 57. It sounds great on it's own, but throw a few pedals in front of it, and it's just amazing. May want to check out the 57 Deluxe reissue as well ( a little less $ then the Twin). I've got two little Savage Macht 6's and wouldn't trade them for anything and they were based on the Fender Deluxe.

Bottom line is, just try out all 3 and go with what you think sounds best.

Good luck!
  • Options
    See this question a lot. Not sure why so many of you guys are trying to match someone else's tone. I'd just play all three and see what works best for what you do. Don't get caught in a rut!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Impossible to tell without playing all three. All 3 are good amps. All 3 can be made to work.

My favorite of that group is by far the 57 Twin.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    See this question a lot. Not sure why so many of you guys are trying to match someone else's tone. I'd just play all three and see what works best for what you do. Don't get caught in a rut!

Imitating great musical styles has a lot of precedent. Mozart played Pearl Jam style is not traditional, interesting; but not traditional. Pearl Jam with full strings and cello may be interesting but is not accurate. The closer we hold the accurate the more realistic the traditional, in the far future, may be.

*** Covered Immortality, Not For You and others with our Lead playing a friendly '75 Stat on a Fender Twin. It was quite successful but maybe not actually accurate.
    DO <> RE <> MI FA <> SOL <> LA <> SI DO
    1 <> 2 <> 3 4 <> 5 <> 6 <> 7 8
  • Options
    Imitating great musical styles has a lot of precedent. Mozart played Pearl Jam style is not traditional, interesting; but not traditional. Pearl Jam with full strings and cello may be interesting but is not accurate. The closer we hold the accurate the more realistic the traditional, in the far future, may be.

*** Covered Immortality, Not For You and others with our Lead playing a friendly '75 Stat on a Fender Twin. It was quite successful but maybe not actually accurate.

Okay that went over my head. All I'm saying is, just go play all three and go with the one that fits you best. That's all. I'm not trying to step on any toes, or slam anyone.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    They are all decent enough. The 57 twin would be my choice, but that's only my opinion. You really need to play them and see what feels right for you guys though.
  • Options
    I have played them all and am really leaning to the 57, although I like some of the features of the regular fender twin. I dont gig professionally, just a hobbiest, but sound quality is huge for me which is why I am torn between the three. Im guessing the 57 makes sense with a couple of pedals.
    Thanks for the replies

Moe
  • Options
    The 57 twin all the way !

but if your gonna spend the money , take a look at Dr. Z !!!!

http://www.drzamps.com/index.html
    This city's so filthy, like my mind in ways!
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I would think a Marshall 1974X or Bluesbreaker.

Then again, I think anyone would be able to get the tones you seek from a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille. Upgrade to a Celestion V30 in the speaker department, and you're golden.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    another vote for the 57 twin.

with a bluesbreaker sitting beside it.
  • Options
    I've got an AC30 CC, put in some webber blue speakers and it sounds a million dollars...

If you arn't looking to buy the more expensive Blue speaker version and dont want to replace the speakers yourself i wouldnt go for the AC30 CC
  • Options
    Are you playing live or just in your house? Are you playing large (200+ people) rooms or small rooms?

The '65 RI is great on it's own for clean stuff and light OD. They never seem to handle a great amount of overdrive before they get very boomy. Also, the '65 RI is 85 watts and you are going to make your ears bleed before you get it to break up naturally.

The Vox amp has some decent cleans and a good amount of natural overdrive but, not for Pearl Jam.

The '57 Twin has become very popular in the last few years. Clapton and David Gilmour record and play live with them. Obviously Eddie Vedder plays them now so, its great for PJ. It can naturally distort and takes pedals well. At 45 watts you can play large and small clubs and not kill everyone's hearing in the process.

There have been several here that have recommended the new '57 Deluxe. You probably know that Neil Young plays one of the non-reissue '57 but, he almost has to use a 4x12 cab with it to get heard as it's only 15-18 watts.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    No contest. I own all of these including the 1974 Marshall and late 70's Bluesbreaker. However, the VOX AC30 blows them all away. Put a TS-9 in front of the VOX and let her rip. Ooh la la.
  • Options
    ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Hmmm . . . so you're looking for versatility.
    Well, out of the 3 amps, the Fender '65 Twin Reverb has the best clean tone (that is if you're looking
    to get your crunch and lead tone with a few pedals - but be prepared for a really loud amp 85-watts).

However, if you're looking for a really versatile amp with very nice cleans, but good crunch and lead
    tones (and you're willing to spend the $2399 on that '57 twin), take a look at the Marshall JVM410C.
    It's a great sounding/versatile amp that does it all: clean/crunch/lead (with 4 channels), so you really
    won't need much pedal-wise (maybe a wah, modulation, and some delay effects, but that's about it).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Options
    Play mostly at the house with an old solid state amp (peavy). Have played to friends only at a community hall (50 people) a couple of times. Just ready to make the move to some quality sound - and I do have permission from the wife!!
    I'll give that Marshall a go too - thanks for all the advice guys.

Moe
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm wiht teh guy who sys that copping tones exactly with amps and effects is not that important. Get in the ball park, then attack and feel will do the rest.
    I'd go for a Marshall more. The Fenders will need peadls. The Vox is cool, and not over-priced, but beware, those suckers are HEAVY !! I checked one out today, they are pretty cheap even here in OZ, and have a great pedigree.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    moejilesmoejiles Posts: 70
    Well, after months of trying various amps, some indecision and saving $$$, I finally bought the 57 Twin reissue. I am blown away by the sound - got a BD-2 to go with it and it sounds wicked.
    The best thing for me was to try dozens of amps before landing on this one.

Cheers

Joe
  • Options
    calgary!!! alright.

glad you like the 57. tweeds are great.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Right on. I do have a 57 reissue for sale for anyone in the Oregon area...
  • Options
    Excellent. Congrats on the new amp purchase. Hopefully you can play it loud! :D

Last time I saw the Hip in Atlanta one guy had a mesa on stage. They ran the whole rig through a Digidesign Live recording rig. They sounded excellent.

and you will as well.

I think Ted Weber designed those speakers for Fender spefically for the 57 Twin.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yep, designed by weber, built by emminence.

i wonder why they did that instead of just tossing jensen alnicos into it.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    yep, designed by weber, built by emminence.

i wonder why they did that instead of just tossing jensen alnicos into it.

not really sure honestly but I think they got it right. Perhaps street cred. Perhaps testers just thought they sounded best and to fill the order Eminence was used because Webers shop is still small. I know that particular amp is particularly special to some of thier endorsers and clientele due to it's history so that might have had something to do with it. Chances are it's got some special specs that the Jensens didn't quite match or they aged the cones a bit like they do with the pre rola stuff to take out the brightness (Scumback etc)

He has expanded and started some kind of partnership with Fender now.

His shop has kind of exploded the last few years.