Options

Fender help please

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was curious what you guys think of the custom shop strats, speciffically the vintage re-issues. Are these guitars as great as many say they are? Am I better off buying a real vintage assuming I can find one? Money isn't the obstacle, but I want to be sure I am not better off just buying an American made strat.
Thanks for the help as always!
JZ
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i can't help much. i don't get to play any custom shop or vintage instruments being left-handed.

i tend to think the "vintage" thing is a bit overrated when i see 70s strats selling for over $2000. there are a few models that are genuine treasures to have though (first years etc. etc) and these are usually the ones that end up with reissue models.
  • Options
    CabaCaba Posts: 7
    Your always better off going with american made strats...
    The reissue's are american...at least mine is...and its got a neck like a gibson.
    The tone is awesome too.
    Its really up to you though, i suggest you go to the guitar shop and just test drive a few and see if you like em
    :)
  • Options
    I am left handed too by the way....but i benefit from living in a city with a left-handed guitar store called south paw guitars. What state do you live in exhausted?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Caba
    I am left handed too by the way....but i benefit from living in a city with a left-handed guitar store called south paw guitars. What state do you live in exhausted?

i drool on southpaw's site everyday. i live in canada. i have a store that will bring lots of stuff in for me and i've got very cool guitars (to me) thanks to them but as far as really unique stuff and vintage etc, nothing i've ever seen compares to southpaw.
  • Options
    That sux :( im a texan :P south paw is like 2 miles from where i live..im never moving
  • Options
    That sux :( im a texan :P south paw is like 2 miles from where i live..im never moving

probably a good thing i don't live close to them. i'd be in the poorhouse so fast.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    well well well, something i might be able to help with, kind of...

i own and cherish and love my 1962 american fender strat reissue. i got it for 900 bucks on ebay, usually about 1400....

its beautiful, i love it. It doesnt feel like a real vintage guitar..and probably doesnt sound like it, eveyr guitar sounds diferent anyway, but its great, feels great, sounds great, looks great. It holds up real well, never have had to repair it, stays in tune..top quality...i suggest it, the money you save fromt eh difference of a vintage..you can spend on a great amp or some other fun toy
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i can't help much. i don't get to play any custom shop or vintage instruments being left-handed.

i tend to think the "vintage" thing is a bit overrated when i see 70s strats selling for over $2000. there are a few models that are genuine treasures to have though (first years etc. etc) and these are usually the ones that end up with reissue models.

I have experience with both. The custom shops are very good and very similar. Where you run into differences is the deterioration of the magnets and the aging of the wood. I personally don't care for the NOS guitars but the closet classics and relics are very close to the real thing for around 3 grand less usually. I have played an original 54 but it was 17,000 way to much money for any guitar.

I found a several original 65 strats that I am in love with at Guitar Center Atlanta they run about 5 grand a piece but it's like magic to play.

If money is not really an object look into a master built Custom Shop Strat as well. Many of these guys are the same ones that built originals and they will make it exactly like you want. down to hand winding the P/U's.

I love the originals and the custom shops but the originals have a vibe and a history to them that is really cool they feel and play like magic. I suggest you find and play an original first then look into Custom Shop. Are they accurate and great yes of course but the originals are special. That being said I don't know if they are worth the money when the custom shops are out there. But, if you buy vintage you buy an investment.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Just skip all this and buy a les paul :)

J/k
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Just skip all this and buy a les paul :)

J/k

gotta have both. I own a Les Paul. I like it fine but it's heavy. I'm going to trade for either an SG or a ES-333 or 335
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i love my LP but i so rarely play it. i imagine i would play it more in a band situation but when i'm on my own, i like single coils.

i'll never give it up though.
  • Options
    trade for an sg???

Ill mourn for you :P