Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wouldn't it also be because he sucks?
    just wonderin'
    from the height of the pacific
    to the depths of everest
  • Options
    and neil young rules too. And they sound very different. And White has a cool voice. If you say he has a shitty voice and that's why you don't like him then you are lookin at it objectively which is stupid in the first place. And that also means you probably should love celine deion and her "perfect" voice.

Neil young rules. So does Jack White.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Jack White does stuff that's interesting. He's not everyone's definition of a great guitar player, but he does what he does very well. Some folks might prefer Steve Vai, or Hendrix, or the other standards (SRV, Page, Hammett, etc) but I don't think they could capture Jack's feel. A lot of people hear the White Stripes, and see the success they've had, and think "Hey, I could've done that." But they didn't, so they get pissed. I think Jack has a feel that's hard to capture... sure, it's loose, raunchy, and drenched (buried) in massive fuzz... but it takes some emotion and talent to use all that loose guitar-playing and make a connection with people. Don't deride Jack White for playing stuff that doesn't resonate with you... Bob Dylan's vocals suck, but you can't deny his genius. Similar qualifications apply here.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Depends on what you mean by 'a great guitarist'. Some folks write great music with the worst technique while some guitarists are true virtuosos with no writing skills.
    I think a guitarist should be valued by his/her PLAYING skills. Writing skills don't relate to that.
  • Options
    hes not a genius but still quite clever I think, seen the video for .....button. thats like one riff isnt it?

He looks like Johnny Depp in that video I think, dont mind me just rambling...

ill get me coat
  • Options
    Who cares if he's a genious? The dude rocks, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Winged
    I think a guitarist should be valued by his/her PLAYING skills. Writing skills don't relate to that.

But see, that's your opinion, not an absolute. For you, Jack White isn't anything special, necessarily. But for some others, he's amazing. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Why do you think most guitar-player Top XXX polls put Cobain above McCready? Because it's all subjective. Most of us, of course, would disagree with Cobain above McCready, seeing as how McCready is God...
  • Options
    Yes, Jack White (and Cobain) may write amazing and special songs with his guitar, but they are not diffucult to play. Even a beginner can play his music. But, as you said, that's just what I think.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Jack White does stuff that's interesting. He's not everyone's definition of a great guitar player, but he does what he does very well. Some folks might prefer Steve Vai, or Hendrix, or the other standards (SRV, Page, Hammett, etc) but I don't think they could capture Jack's feel. A lot of people hear the White Stripes, and see the success they've had, and think "Hey, I could've done that." But they didn't, so they get pissed. I think Jack has a feel that's hard to capture... sure, it's loose, raunchy, and drenched (buried) in massive fuzz... but it takes some emotion and talent to use all that loose guitar-playing and make a connection with people. Don't deride Jack White for playing stuff that doesn't resonate with you... Bob Dylan's vocals suck, but you can't deny his genius. Similar qualifications apply here.

I have to agree with you on this, Jack is simplicity as its best, not unique, just the best right now. Your Dylan reference is also on target.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Winged
    Yes, Jack White (and Cobain) may write amazing and special songs with his guitar, but they are not diffucult to play. Even a beginner can play his music. But, as you said, that's just what I think.

A beginner may be able to emulate the riffs, but it would be hard for anyone (beginner or pro) to capture Jack's vibe. It's the element of the untangible...